Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I stumbled across Good Gopher the search engine for "fair and unbiased independent news" the other day. In reality it works pretty well for finding absurd right-wing opinions and conspiracy discussions on whatever topic of your choosing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

re: My thoughts earlier.

I'm unsure what to make of it at times because perhaps my lone experiences with Trump supporters seem to be bizarre outliers. One dude was kind of a good, and had a Malaysian immigrant wife. The other have been people like my dad who I wouldn't consider "racist", but rather just indoctrinated via Fox News/Limbaugh.

Both are not inherently bad people, just people I don't share their worldview with. I sense a lot of frustration from them and a lot of rage towards things that were actually caused by republican policies. However, they don't quite know where to direct their rage towards. "It can't be the republicans! The Reagan years treated me well, and the republicans always know how to run the economy the best"

I don't know, I'm willing to get angry at republican politicians, outright white supremacists/neo-nazis, right wing media figures and just assholes. I just can't get mad at the people I mentioned above. Perhaps it's because while I don't believe their political philosophy lines up with my own? I can at least see that they're not coming from a place of malice. I do honestly feel those people are getting taken for a ride just like all of us in this country are, and that the only difference is the democrats in this country are just not as bad as republicans.

Let me stress that last line by the way. When I say "Not as bad", I can't stress that while the country is currently meidocre under modern day centrist democrat control? It's a hell of a lot better than the hellscape that would be say, a Ted Cruz presidency.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

We're running on the fumes of the New Deal. Conservatives have been doing everything they can to deligitimize, weaken & destroy it since Reagan. They start wars and cut taxes adding billions to the debt, then use the debt to foment populist rage. Their answer: cut more taxes, on the promise that it will create jobs but in truth it's designed to starve revenue so they have an excuse to dismantle Medicare, Medicaid, food assistance, disability, etc and transfer mo money to the top. All the while blaming liberal policies. And people buy it, because Republicans are more aggressive in their messaging and are completely willing to lie. The lies are given legitimacy by a media that is afraid to call them out for fear of appearing biased, or outright helps them spread the propaganda. So what do you do? Just take it on the chin & wait for the revolution?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

FuzzySkinner posted:

re: My thoughts earlier.

I'm unsure what to make of it at times because perhaps my lone experiences with Trump supporters seem to be bizarre outliers. One dude was kind of a good, and had a Malaysian immigrant wife. The other have been people like my dad who I wouldn't consider "racist", but rather just indoctrinated via Fox News/Limbaugh.

Both are not inherently bad people, just people I don't share their worldview with. I sense a lot of frustration from them and a lot of rage towards things that were actually caused by republican policies. However, they don't quite know where to direct their rage towards. "It can't be the republicans! The Reagan years treated me well, and the republicans always know how to run the economy the best"

I don't know, I'm willing to get angry at republican politicians, outright white supremacists/neo-nazis, right wing media figures and just assholes. I just can't get mad at the people I mentioned above. Perhaps it's because while I don't believe their political philosophy lines up with my own? I can at least see that they're not coming from a place of malice. I do honestly feel those people are getting taken for a ride just like all of us in this country are, and that the only difference is the democrats in this country are just not as bad as republicans.

Let me stress that last line by the way. When I say "Not as bad", I can't stress that while the country is currently meidocre under modern day centrist democrat control? It's a hell of a lot better than the hellscape that would be say, a Ted Cruz presidency.

It's entirely possible you are dealing with the very small subset of Trump supporters who aren't that racist. The data is what it is. The sample of people we interact with on a daily basis is highly self-selected.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Reminds me of this gem from when those AOL search logs got leaked.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

FIRST TIME posted:

:catstare:

note to self: stay the gently caress away from Livingstone College.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FIRST TIME posted:

Those weren't leaked. AOL released them purposely because they wanted people to work their magic with the data like what Netflix was doing releasing anonymized data as a kind of X Prize to improve "Watch Next" recommendations.

The thing about search, though, is that if you have a long enough search history you can basically find out who a person is. AOL didn't realize that, anonymized the data poorly, didn't redact anything, and within a day of the data being out there people in the press started tracking people down.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

FIRST TIME posted:

So this story ends with murder or suicide or murder-suicide, right?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Chantilly Say posted:

So this story ends with murder or suicide or murder-suicide, right?

There's a really sad log that actually does tell the story of a woman working her way up to cheating on her husband by meeting someone online, planning to meet at a hotel, the sex was terrible, then she thinks she might be pregnant. :smith:

There was a really good series of Weekend Webs about some of the craziest stuff people found.

http://www.somethingawful.com/weekend-web/aol-search-log/1/

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

https://twitter.com/oreillyfactor/status/767840916707024899

Bill has serious issues comprehending race and oppression.

Anyone that was paying attention realized that Bill was a massive racist but it seems like he's just trying to see how far he can be out and proud about it instead of having to hide behind his facade of respectability. Trump really has been freeing for these guys.

beatlegs posted:

We're running on the fumes of the New Deal. Conservatives have been doing everything they can to deligitimize, weaken & destroy it since Reagan. They start wars and cut taxes adding billions to the debt, then use the debt to foment populist rage. Their answer: cut more taxes, on the promise that it will create jobs but in truth it's designed to starve revenue so they have an excuse to dismantle Medicare, Medicaid, food assistance, disability, etc and transfer mo money to the top. All the while blaming liberal policies. And people buy it, because Republicans are more aggressive in their messaging and are completely willing to lie. The lies are given legitimacy by a media that is afraid to call them out for fear of appearing biased, or outright helps them spread the propaganda. So what do you do? Just take it on the chin & wait for the revolution?

Yeah it's worrying, the media stuff specifically. The email stuff is not going away. If Hillary wins expect investigations for the entire four years of her term unless something juicier comes out. The next Democratic president will have investigations into something equally stupid. Republicans leading phoney investigations into Democrats is the new normal and the media will pretend that every one of these isn't an obvious joke which makes them seem more credible than they are.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 23, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This could be one of the best articles I've read this election

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/meet-the-trump-bros/

Meet the Trump Bros

quote:

Misogyny was an issue about maybe 60, 80 years ago," said Rowe. "That's not an issue today. There are a lot bigger fish to fry...You know, ISIS is chopping off heads. We've got 19 trillion dollars in debt."

quote:

We needed to get as much Trump gear as we could, and as much America gear as we could," Maniscalco said of the inspiration behind their coordinating wardrobes.

quote:

"There is a sentiment among frat guys, lacrosse players and middle class affluent white kids that they are kind of getting persecuted lately," Portnoy told CBS News.

quote:

"You tell a joke it gets blown out of proportion. You gotta walk on eggshells. There's kind of that feeling, and Trump, he tells a joke and doesn't back down. He says things that would normally been frowned upon. At a school, a kid would get expelled. Not that it's right or wrong, but he's sort of defending a lot of the things they've been attacked for in the last five years or so."

"It's an F-U to society, who is telling us we are a bad guy because we like hooking up with girls on spring break,"
he added. "And they see Trump sticking up for that."

quote:

Grant Sandberg and Matt Manas, seniors at Eau Claire's Regis High School, stood out from the pack in matching suits and baseball caps. They had decided to dress like Trump himself that night in lieu of Americana gear.

"We're not afraid to show that we enjoy being Americans, and Trump portrays being a good American," Sandberg explained.

quote:

Manas, a young entrepreneur with a sock business whose Twitter bio reads "Bros do Bro Things" and who made a point of checking himself out in his iPhone camera in selfie mode before speaking with a reporter, piped in enthusiastically.

"I love women!" he said.

Trump took the stage, and they screamed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

The... "kid" on the left looks like he'll grow up to be the Ted Cruz.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Meet the Trump Bros

quote:

Misogyny was an issue about maybe 60, 80 years ago," said Rowe. "That's not an issue today. There are a lot bigger fish to fry...You know, ISIS is chopping off heads. We've got 19 trillion dollars in debt."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha this was exactly what I was going to post in response to that comment.

It really says a lot about the "anger" of Trump voters. If terrorism in other countries and the nebulous DEBT are your biggest problems you really don't have enough to be angry about. I understand that there are people suffering but from every indication it's becoming clear that Trump's biggest supporters are just all in on hating everyone that isn't white (and also women but that's not as in your face).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress Yes

https://twitter.com/politico/status/768030544303157248

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Black people: yo man, can you stop murdering us with state actors?

White college student: I just want to "hook up with" (read: date rape) chicks in Spring Break man. And make racist jokes. Why you gotta put up all this PC poo poo?

That chart should be in the OP of all future USPOLs.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What is this from? I want to see the full document, so when I throw it at people, they can't say I made it up.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Takoluka posted:

What is this from? I want to see the full document, so when I throw it at people, they can't say I made it up.

Don't worry they won't even read it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This is also for my own personal research, obv.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Takoluka posted:

http://genforwardsurvey.com/assets/uploads/2016/08/GenForward-July-2016-Report-_-Final-copy.pdf

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

edit: nevermind, page wasn't done refreshing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

Why doesn't Twitter/the internet constantly troll him with pictures of falafels and the moon?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Why doesn't Twitter/the internet constantly troll him with pictures of falafels and the moon?

Ooh! And moon falafels!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

PhazonLink posted:

Why falafels? Also, why not loofahs?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Please please please dunk on Milo in a national speech

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mo0 posted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Has Obama ever actually used the word "friend of the family" outside of saying things like "Don't say the word 'friend of the family'."?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MizPiz posted:

Why falafels? Also, why not loofahs?

http://nymag.com/news/features/scandals/bill-oreilly-2012-4/

So both would be excellent choices for trolling. (Just saying falafel around him on set will apparently get you fired nowadays.)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Mo0 posted:

His reaction will be funnier if she excludes him.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Go figure that MRA's can't please a woman

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
loving casuals

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GET MARRIED!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Sir Tonk posted:

He's not so hot on tides either. Or not choking his wife.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Spun Dog posted:

He's not so hot on tides either. Or not choking his wife.

Or not getting mad.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Big Swifty posted:

Wow. Powerful stuff. That was Ted Haggard, discussing how liberal opposition to Religious Freedom laws is a plot to promote drug use and sexual promiscuity. Thanks, Ted - great to have you on.

Up next on Hannity: SHOCKING! Warren Jeffs explains how the Supreme Court's ruling on gay marriage last year has opened the gates on the liberal agenda to undermine traditional marriage, in its sick attempt to normalize beastiality, incest, and deranged polgyamist cults

And later, has the new liberal "pope's" agenda led to an increase in child abuse in the church? Former Speaker of the House Denny Hastert is here to make the case.

Well, that's it for us tonight folks. Be sure to tune in tomorrow, where former Heisman Trophy winner and NFL superstar O.J. Simpson explains how the FBI's failure to prosecute Hillary Clinton for her reckless use of an unprotected private email server with the country's most delicate and important intelligence documents constitutes the absolute worst failure of our country's justice system in nearly 21 years.

Edit: We'll also have Alex Jones on, explaining the liberal "paranoid delusion" of racism in Voter ID laws, and how it's all a bunk conspiracy theory. Plus, Bruce Tinsley - a very talented and funny cartoonist - revisists Ted Kennedys legacy of irresponsible drunken behavior. Don't miss it!

You should be getting paid for writing like this. It's spot-on.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Antti posted:

It's entirely possible you are dealing with the very small subset of Trump supporters who aren't that racist. The data is what it is. The sample of people we interact with on a daily basis is highly self-selected.

It could be that bizarre version of Ohio/Midwest Republicans that I keep running into. People that sincerely believe in fiscal responsibility, but don't believe in loving over the poor. They're very ignorant about what their own party does, and they have a Stan Smith reaction any time it's brought up. "What? No. That doesn't happen. Not my republican party/GOP. They're good christians like us who believe in helping the poor. They don't misuse their power to gently caress over gay people. They're just whiny liberals".

The problem is that those people don't run the GOP nor are the majority of them running for office any more. The GOP (save again, for parts of Ohio, New York, etc) has morphed into some lovely ayn rand version of the dixiecrats.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Big Swifty posted:

Wow. Powerful stuff. That was Ted Haggard, discussing how liberal opposition to Religious Freedom laws is a plot to promote drug use and sexual promiscuity. Thanks, Ted - great to have you on.

Up next on Hannity: SHOCKING! Warren Jeffs explains how the Supreme Court's ruling on gay marriage last year has opened the gates on the liberal agenda to undermine traditional marriage, in its sick attempt to normalize beastiality, incest, and deranged polgyamist cults

And later, has the new liberal "pope's" agenda led to an increase in child abuse in the church? Former Speaker of the House Denny Hastert is here to make the case.

Well, that's it for us tonight folks. Be sure to tune in tomorrow, where former Heisman Trophy winner and NFL superstar O.J. Simpson explains how the FBI's failure to prosecute Hillary Clinton for her reckless use of an unprotected private email server with the country's most delicate and important intelligence documents constitutes the absolute worst failure of our country's justice system in nearly 21 years.

Edit: We'll also have Alex Jones on, explaining the liberal "paranoid delusion" of racism in Voter ID laws, and how it's all a bunk conspiracy theory. Plus, Bruce Tinsley - a very talented and funny cartoonist - revisists Ted Kennedys legacy of irresponsible drunken behavior. Don't miss it!

This reads like a Chapo Trap House cold open, nicely done.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ErIog posted:

As long as he doesn't use racial slurs or call Hillary a oval office then Trump wins first debate, for sure.

What happens if Hillary loses control and a:) laughs in his face, and/or b:) says, "There you go again." :rolleyes: in her best impression of Reagan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mister Macys posted:

What happens if Hillary loses control and a:) laughs in his face, and/or b:) says, "There you go again." :rolleyes: in her best impression of Reagan?

At this point, I honestly think it might be a good idea. Sure, traditionally candidates have to at least pretend to respect one another, but the electorate is so polarized no that they want to see them rip each other apart. The best thing Hillary could do in the debates is to pounce on every single one of Trump's many, many failures and utter lack of vision. Outright mocking him would probably help since his ego is so fragile that he'll gladly melt down and make whatever she says seem nice in comparison. His supporters are already going to complain that it was rigged to begin with no matter what, so there's no point in attempting to peel them off him. Better to treat him like the bad joke he is. There is no way his staff could manage to reign him in for that kind of treatment.

This may just be wishful thinking on my part, though.