Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Arglebargle III posted:

Bakula is a comic guy and they had him be all frowny.

I just started watching ENT, and if this show squanders Backula's talent for light comic acting, I'll be sad. I watched all of Quantum Leap as a kid, and rewatched a bunch of it as an adult. It holds up, for the most part, but the comedy is one of the reasons it does. Not using Backula as a comic actor now and then would be like not using Bryan Cranston as a comic actor now and then.

I guess I'll just prepare to be sad. :smith:

Re: Trek casts getting along: My favorite Trek cast story is how Avery Brooks had a son about the same age as Cirroc Lofton, and Lofton didn't have a comperable dad to look after him on the set. So Brooks just kind of adopted him as his on-set son. They are still like a father and son both in and out of character, to this day. :unsmith:

Also, Rene Auberjonois and Armin Shimmerman have maintained a hearty bromance since the beginning of DS9. I just like the irony of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

All this Voyager chat made me check on my favourite Ocampan loon. Yup, still mad as a hatter (latest is a dui in March)

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 23, 2016

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Went back to watching TOS with the first episode and it's interesting to see not all the tropes were baked in from the start. 3 crewmen die on the planet and not one of them is wearing a red shirt.

Man, this episode has everything. Workplace sexual harassment! Solid Snaking through alien ruins to shoot a dangerous hermit! Intent to apply enhanced interrogation!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Computer, create an autist capable of outsperging Data.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cojawfee posted:

Program complete. Enter when ready.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I still want to know what the VOY writers were thinking by putting an out of nowhere Seven/Chakotay romance in the LAST EPISODE.

It's just bizarre and it really undoes a lot of the good stuff they did with Seven near the end.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Timby posted:

I wasn't referring to Moore's statement. But keep on Nefuding.

1. Oh ok great.

2. gently caress off rear end in a top hat.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Timby posted:

I wasn't referring to Moore's statement. But keep on Nefuding.

Ok, what were you referring to? Why do you people have to beat around the bush about every loving thing? Bet if I asked you if the sky is blue you'd go "I can't confirm or deny that", christ.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

"Canon is an albatross" was in response to this:

Astroman posted:

Next time I bitch about prequels ruining canon and my reservations with Discovery, and someone wants to say I'm just being a nitpicky nerd, remember that Ron Moore agrees with me.

You know, the part of the post that wasn't a Ron Moore quote.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
:gas:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The most important part about Star Trek: Discovery is that there's a good chance we'll get a Pre-Refit Miranda and that's awesome.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Computer, turn that monitor back on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mortanis posted:

The most important part about Star Trek: Discovery is that there's a good chance we'll get a Pre-Refit Miranda and that's awesome.

I'm not entirely sure I have a ton of faith in the design team, considering they basically directly lifted Ralph McQuarrie's godawful design for the ship.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure that reusing previous assets is as close to a Star Trek tradition as you can get.

Also "lift" might be a strong word. The similarities are certainly there and Fuller wasn't particularly coy about taking inspiration from it, but the McQuarry design was significantly more Star Destroyer/Space pizza than this version. Also I sort of like using a 70s design for a prequel series because it avoids some of the pitfalls of trying to make something "new" while still aping the old.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Duckbag posted:

I'm pretty sure that reusing previous assets is as close to a Star Trek tradition as you can get.

Also "lift" might be a strong word. The similarities are certainly there and Fuller wasn't particularly coy about taking inspiration from it, but the McQuarry design was significantly more Star Destroyer/Space pizza than this version. Also I sort of like using a 70s design for a prequel series because it avoids some of the pitfalls of trying to make something "new" while still aping the old.

They smoothed out the star wars greeblies but it's still basically the same design. If anything the original's round nacelles were a little more period appropriate than the boxy ones they went with:

I've seen fan versions based on this design that were successful in de-fuglyfying it, so hopefully they refine the poo poo out of the Discovery.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Has it already been discussed to death that the Discovery design and sound design point heavily towards the Star Trek period just prior to or right after The Treat of Alergon? That ship looks a lot like a captured Romulan ship with a Federation saucer bolted on.

Back on topic: remember that one Voyager episode where the whole ship and crew were goop clones that had actually advanced beyond the original ship and crew? Remember how the episode ended with the original crew finding a glob of muck in space and literally going :shrug: What the gently caress, Voyager!?!

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 23, 2016

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Thwomp posted:

Back on topic: remember that one Voyager episode where the whole ship and crew were goop clones that had actually advanced beyond the original ship and crew? Remember how the episode ended with the original crew finding a glob of muck in space and literally going :shrug: What the gently caress, Voyager!?!

That episode is so awesome, I love those weird instances when Voyager goes completely nihilistic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually really love the hard simple shapes and sharp lines of this spaceship. With better CG this might end up my favourite human ship in trek!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How did they find a way to survive on non demon class planets?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Tighclops posted:

They smoothed out the star wars greeblies but it's still basically the same design. If anything the original's round nacelles were a little more period appropriate than the boxy ones they went with:

I've seen fan versions based on this design that were successful in de-fuglyfying it, so hopefully they refine the poo poo out of the Discovery.

It's not totally defuglified, but I do think that proportion changes with the bigger saucer and the tapered, angled wings leading to the nacelle "pylons" are both very good changes. The arrowhead/star fleet emblem profile they went with is way better than the flat triangle star drive from the original design. I agree about the nacelles themselves though -- the trapezoid shape is really weird.

Thwomp posted:

Has it already been discussed to death that the Discovery design and sound design point heavily towards the Star Trek period just prior to or right after The Treat of Alergon? That ship looks a lot like a captured Romulan ship with a Federation saucer bolted on.

They said it would ~10 years be pre-TOS. The treaty of Algeron was signed about twenty years after TUC

quote:

Yeah, their inexplicable "enhanced Warp Drive" is pretty hilarious. That and the fact that Paris was suddenly a lieutenant again were supposed to be immediate clues that this wasn't "our" Voyager, but Voyager continuity was so bad I thought they'd just hosed up at first.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tighclops posted:

Here's a decent one I just found:

"Larger saucer, moved saucer back, pushed nacelles back and replaced nacelle design."

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Duckbag posted:

They said it would ~10 years be pre-TOS. The treaty of Algeron was signed about twenty years after TUC

Ah okay, I didn't catch them already referring to a specific time period.

quote:

Yeah, their inexplicable "enhanced Warp Drive" is pretty hilarious. That and the fact that Paris was suddenly a lieutenant again were supposed to be immediate clues that this wasn't "our" Voyager, but Voyager continuity was so bad I thought they'd just hosed up at first.

Which makes the finale even more hilarious in retrospect since that's exactly what happened.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

"Larger saucer, moved saucer back, pushed nacelles back and replaced nacelle design."

I think moving the saucer was a bad call, but the other two changes do make it look a little more Star Fleet-y.

I also I also really hope they change its color pallet from the teaser because right now it looks like an old penny.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The_Doctor posted:

That actually looks a lot better.

Thwomp posted:

Fun fact: remember the Romulan Bird of Prey from TOS? It was originally intended to be a stolen Federation design, much like how the Chinese constantly make shameless knockoffs of products from other countries. It makes sense too, because the Romulan BOP actually looks a lot like a Federation ship with a saucer and nacelles, just with a bird painted on the bottom. And later in the series, Romulans used Klingon D7 Battle cruisers.

And the Klingon Bird of Prey was originally meant to be a Romulan design too, as the villains in Star Trek 3 were going to be Romulans before it was changed to Klingons. And it makes sense, as the Klingon BoP looks a lot like a Romulan ship.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The script for The Search for Spock actually says that Kruge's Bird of Prey is a stolen Romulan ship.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And then when the Romulans do show up as the proper villains in a Star Trek movie, they're in Nemesis.

:insert nemesis pooping gif:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trek suffers a bit in that the federation has a very distinct look to their ships but everyone else is a hodge podge of greebles or just the one single model they ever made for that race over multiple shows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The design language for those ships is still pretty confused as it also looks like a Klingon design. You can put a D7 and bird of prey side by side and say "yup, those came out of the same shipyard."

Really, if you cut the front pylon and bridge pod off of a D7, it looks a lot like a squared off TOS BoP.

So, we can just say both races were either sharing or stealing off of each other. It's not until the Romulans withdrew from attention that they emerged with a wholly different design language.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The design language for those ships is still pretty confused as it also looks like a Klingon design. You can put a D7 and bird of prey side by side and say "yup, those came out of the same shipyard."

Really, if you cut the front pylon and bridge pod off of a D7, it looks a lot like a squared off TOS BoP.

So, we can just say both races were either sharing or stealing off of each other. It's not until the Romulans withdrew from attention that they emerged with a wholly different design language.

Turns out that's the best shape for a cloaking device.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand how aesthetic similarities means a sharing of tech. It's like someone getting their hands on some chinese tech and suddenly everything is red and has dragon motifs. I guess you could technobabble about taking a romulan or klingon hull design and trying to keep it mostly the same layout so all the guts are in the same places and don't need to be re-engineered, but that seems like a stretch.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I went to a Star Wars vs Star Trek debate at the Edinburgh Fringe and someone asked "Who is more annoying: Jar Jar or Neelix?" Neither of the debaters immediately said Wesley Crusher.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
No one said Keenser?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Thwomp posted:

And then when the Romulans do show up as the proper villains in a Star Trek movie, they're in Nemesis.

With a new warbird which pulled from the same design concepts as the Klingon bird of prey, which started out as a Romulan design anyway. It's like poetry, it rhymes :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Apollodorus posted:

No one said Keenser?

Nah, wee man is fine. He's just in the background most of the time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

With a new warbird which pulled from the same design concepts as the Klingon bird of prey, which started out as a Romulan design anyway. It's like poetry, it rhymes :v:

God, as hideous as the Scimitar was, the Valdore was almost as bad.

John Eaves really needs to never design anything ever again.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is the in-universe explanation for the similarities in Romulans and Klingon ships that one stole the tech from the other?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Met posted:

Is the in-universe explanation for the similarities in Romulans and Klingon ships that one stole the tech from the other?

Intelligence reports Romulans now using Klingon design.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Apollodorus posted:

Intelligence reports Romulans now using Klingon design.

Which, in turn, was because nobody could find the Romulan ship model from Balance of Terror.

So much of Star Trek is the result of accidents and screw-ups.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man this really does look like a federation design, like a classic trek era version of a small warship of a similar role as the defiant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That bird of prey actually looks like a good space ship. While the Constitution shape is iconic, it looks like a really stupid and poorly designed spaceship. It's all spindly and leads to several weak points like in Beyond where they chop off the nacelles and the engineering section. That bird of prey is all compacted together and looks like it is at home flying through space and could even land on a planet if need be.