Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i'd absolutely love to see better mass transit across america, but you can't just say "americans are racist" like that explains the hugely flawed urban framework which has been the predominant style for the last 75+ years
It isn't sufficient to explain that, but it's certainly a factor. I've lived in two major urban areas (Charlotte, NC, and the SF Bay Area) where there was public protest against mass transit because it would bring crime (read: black/Hispanic people) into the desirable neighborhoods. This particular racism/classism shows up in a lot of non-transit; somebody on my nextdoor.com neighborhood (yeah, yeah, a hive of scum and villainy) was arguing that apartments bring criminals, and that only homeowners can be trusted. (!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Nextdoor might as well be bylined as Klan Lite Facebook

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It isn't sufficient to explain that, but it's certainly a factor. I've lived in two major urban areas (Charlotte, NC, and the SF Bay Area) where there was public protest against mass transit because it would bring crime (read: black/Hispanic people) into the desirable neighborhoods. This particular racism/classism shows up in a lot of non-transit; somebody on my nextdoor.com neighborhood (yeah, yeah, a hive of scum and villainy) was arguing that apartments bring criminals, and that only homeowners can be trusted. (!)

yeah but "americans are racist" can be used to explain basically everything about america in one way or another

foreign policy, energy policy, education, housing, find an aspect of government policy that doesn't have one foot in racism. it's not a very useful explanatory framework

asdf32 posted:

China figured it out:

oh yeah, the people crusher

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah but "americans are racist" can be used to explain basically everything about america in one way or another

foreign policy, energy policy, education, housing, find an aspect of government policy that doesn't have one foot in racism. it's not a very useful explanatory framework

It's very useful because a great many things about America don't make a lot of sense until you realize "because racism" is the answer to like...everything.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's very useful because a great many things about America don't make a lot of sense until you realize "because racism" is the answer to like...everything.

Except its probably more accurate to realize that America isn't unique with respect to racism, it's unique with respect to diversity and thus the pervasive impact of racism.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I'd love to see something like that in major metros mowing down cabs/random vehicles parked in the bike lane

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I'd love to see something like that in major metros mowing down cabs/random vehicles parked in the bike lane

I live in Seattle. I am at half-mast just dreaming of that thing with threshers installed on the front ending the problem of people blocking the box in the Mercer Mess.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

asdf32 posted:

Except its probably more accurate to realize that America isn't unique with respect to racism, it's unique with respect to diversity and thus the pervasive impact of racism.

America is unique in that we ignore class so much as to pretend it doesn't exist

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

America is unique in that we ignore class so much as to pretend it doesn't exist

No, we don't ignore white people.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

No, we don't ignore white people.

erm, not what I said but thank you

I think class is intersectional

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

erm, not what I said but thank you

I think class is intersectional

So which aspects of class are currently ignored? Presumably the ones that don't involve race.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

So which aspects of class are currently ignored? Presumably the ones that don't involve race.

Working conditions, union-busting, and growing inequality were generally ignored until the recession and now were doing nothing to structurally stop the concentration of wealth
Maybe I'm just tired but I really don't feel like we've made a huge amount of headway

Barudak
May 7, 2007

asdf32 posted:

China figured it out:

That thing turned out to be a massive scam and is extremely unsound such as having issues rolling over when it turns.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Barudak posted:

That thing turned out to be a massive scam and is extremely unsound such as having issues rolling over when it turns.

That depresses me as part of me hoped it would really work.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Given that it has to take up a whole lane on its own anyway, why not just have light rail?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cliff Racer posted:

Given that it has to take up a whole lane on its own anyway, why not just have light rail?

Because that would be Commu -- oh wait.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

The idea is it could be embedded into roads that already exist thus requiring no reduction in existing road infrastructure. The issues, in addition to it being a hundred million dollar scam, are basically every single thing involving a turn and any sort of truck with trailer.

The idea I think was contemplated even as far back as the 40s based on popular mechanics issues but basically it's an extremely expensive non solution.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Gawker died today :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Gawker died today :(

How is that something to be sad about?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A billionaire destroyed a media company because he didn't like what they said. It doesn't matter if the company sucks for other reasons, that is the lesson every other media company learned.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Tars Tarkas posted:

A billionaire destroyed a media company because he didn't like what they said. It doesn't matter if the company sucks for other reasons, that is the lesson every other media company learned.

That is horrible :(

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I liked reading Gawker. It was funny. Oh well I guess some billionaire got offended.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I would get this outpouring of support if Gawker had gotten nailed over actual investigative journalism or hard-hitting satire. Lord knows that there is no lack of things worth getting into going on in the world that will make you enemies. But it's not, it's a loving sex tape. The internet has thrust us into a second golden age of yellow-page journalism and you're all taking the wrong lesson from one its titans flying to high.

For example,

Tars Tarkas posted:

That's the wrong takeaway from this. Why did it take notable shithead billionare Peter Thiel with a vendetta for them to finally get nailed for their poo poo? Gawker has been up to some seriously unethical crap over the years and they've basically gotten away with it. There's a tacit understanding that if you try to bring them to court they'll spend every penny they have making the process as long and expensive as possible as they lose and you'll get nothing. Basically guaranteeing that they're untouchable to everyone not rich enough to call their bluff and eat the loss.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

variable lane pricing works, it's just unpopular

we can't possibly build more lanes to meet road demand, the better thing to do is disincentivize driving

Yes, because those disincentives totally don't skew absurdly towards punishing the poor for having to go to work and not being able to afford housing close to their jobs.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Everything worthwhile about the company was sold off to Univision. The only ones getting screwed here are Gawker itself and the editors and executives who ran with embracing a total lack of journalistic ethics in the name of clicks.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

mandatory vaccinations to make sure enough people get autism to support more trains

That's a gamble, it could just make them libertarian

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

That's the wrong takeaway from this. Why did it take notable shithead billionare Peter Thiel with a vendetta for them to finally get nailed for their poo poo? Gawker has been up to some seriously unethical crap over the years and they've basically gotten away with it. There's a tacit understanding that if you try to bring them to court they'll spend every penny they have making the process as long and expensive as possible as they lose and you'll get nothing. Basically guaranteeing that they're untouchable to everyone not rich enough to call their bluff and eat the loss.
Because it takes a billionaire to do to a multi-million dollars company what said multi-million dollars company do to most of us and gently caress it over. Bigger fish and all. With all the lamentations, Thiel now experiences what's best in life.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tars Tarkas posted:

A federal court decided that Gawker was responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. The only thing that billionaire did was give an aging celebrity the financial backing necessary to pursue his rightful legal rights. If Gawker hadn't knowingly violated the law and then doubled down on it by leaving the video up and then leaking the racial slurs tape they wouldn't have had to pay poo poo and Peter Theil could have spent eternity crying into his coffee.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

A federal court decided that Gawker was responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. The only thing that billionaire did was give an aging celebrity the financial backing necessary to pursue his rightful legal rights. If Gawker hadn't knowingly violated the law and then doubled down on it by leaving the video up and then leaking the racial slurs tape they wouldn't have had to pay poo poo and Peter Theil could have spent eternity crying into his coffee.

Plus giving statements under oath while being flippant didn't help anything. "Sarcastically" saying "Any celeb older then 5 is a valid sex tape news story" in your official statements is definitely going to blow back on you especially when the opposing council brings it up and you try to pretend like it didn't happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gawker dug their own grave. They on many occasions have done completely irresponsible things like outing a closeted married gay man for no reason (he was not a public figure or anti-gay, and when people pointed this out the writer claimed that it was a legitimate story because he's related to Tim Geithner). In the Hogan case they had many opportunities to end the whole thing but refused. I can't really feel too bad for a company run by idiots.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can't really feel too bad for a company run by idiots.

:agreed:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nobody's asking you to feel bad for the company.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Wrong, dumb and wrong, and also wrong. Bollea got smacked down in Federal court so he took it to Florida, where the case was presided over by a judge who was appointed by Jeb! bc she was Terri Schiavo's Noble Christian Warrior-Lawyer. She's had more decisions reversed on appeal than any other judge in her county because she doesn't really have a good grasp on the law---which is why her order to take down the video was immediately reversed on appeal (they took it down later, though).

And Thiel didn't just back Bollea--he was backing a half-dozen other lawsuits against Gawker from assorted lunatics (my favorite is from some idiot who keeps claiming he invented email because he once had a program called E-MAIL.EXE that no one but him ever used)

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 23, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I can believe two things at once: that Gawker were bullies who had it coming -- outing that gay executive is only one example -- and that it is a bad thing that Peter Thiel was able to use his billions to destroy them. If I want a test case to be upset about, though, I'll pick the multi-millionaire who tried to take down Mother Jones. That wasn't a libel case, although it was disguised as one; it was SLAPP.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slanderer posted:

Wrong, dumb and wrong, and also wrong. Bollea got smacked down in Federal court so he took it to Florida, where the case was presided over by a judge who was appointed by Jeb! bc she was Terri Schiavo's Noble Christian Warrior-Lawyer. She's had more decisions reversed on appeal than any other judge in her county because she doesn't really have a good grasp on the law---which is why her order to take down the video was immediately reversed on appeal (they took it down later, though).

And Thiel didn't just back Bollea--he was backing a half-dozen other lawsuits against Gawker from assorted lunatics (my favorite is from some idiot who keeps claiming he invented email because he once had a program called E-MAIL.EXE that no one but him ever used)

Weird how the Gawker ruling wasn't reversed on appeal if everything you said was true.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, because those disincentives totally don't skew absurdly towards punishing the poor for having to go to work and not being able to afford housing close to their jobs.

lol given the insane burdens placed on the suburban poor anyway i dont think "not being able to afford variable priced fast lanes" is what's keeping them from work

you know, aside from the structural necessity of owning a beater car in the first place

next you'll be complaining about the forty cent gas tax

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

Weird how the Gawker ruling wasn't reversed on appeal if everything you said was true.

The same judge (surprise surprise) refused to stay the judgement for long enough to make an appeal (which is not very long at all). They have not filed the appeal yet, because they still need to put up money for the judgement.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ocrumsprug posted:

It is being appealed and the judgement is extremely likely to be reduced, at minimum. Thiel specifically selected Florida as a venue because Florida requires people to post the entire judgement into escrow during appeal.

Everything about the case was designed to kill Gawker - for example the terms of Gawker's insurance became public and the lawyers in the case immediately dropped any claims which would cause insurance to pay the judgement and legal costs. What's really crazy about that is that it is directly contrary to the best interests of Hogan: the insurance would have made getting the judgement money much much easier.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shifty Pony posted:

What's really crazy about that is that it is directly contrary to the best interests of Hogan: the insurance would have made getting the judgement money much much easier.

destroying a company which sexually humiliated him in front of a global audience is in his interest

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

It is being appealed and the judgement is extremely likely to be reduced, at minimum. Thiel specifically selected Florida as a venue because Florida requires people to post the entire judgement into escrow during appeal.

Everything about the case was designed to kill Gawker - for example the terms of Gawker's insurance became public and the lawyers in the case immediately dropped any claims which would cause insurance to pay the judgement and legal costs. What's really crazy about that is that it is directly contrary to the best interests of Hogan: the insurance would have made getting the judgement money much much easier.

This presupposes that Hogan didn't simply want Gawker dead as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

MiddleOne posted:

It doesn't matter if you think it is the wrong takeway. It is the takeaway media companies will take from this. The next time someone writes about the Koch brothers, Thiel, Sheldon Adelson, Mark Zuckerberg, Joe Ricketts, Frank VanderSloot, or any other rich person with a lot of lawyers with free time, punches are going to be pulled and the world will be worse off for it.