Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Emergency poutine rations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Apologies for the potato picture, but I spotted this yesterday and thought it looked suitably insane.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's gotta be amphibious, right? I think I can just barely see a boat-hull fuselage through that fence.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Identification question: This helicopter with a long horizontal boom has been making straight passes every thirty minutes or so over my neighborhood for the past couple days. My best guess is that it's one of two possibilities: crop spraying (but I live in a suburban area, there are no crops around here). My other thought is some sort of radar mapping or synthetic aperture radar, and that seems more likely to me.

Any clue what its doing?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Spraying for mosquitoes?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It's a Lake Buccaneer

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Adjusting the local chemtrail dosage.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Enourmo posted:

That's gotta be amphibious, right? I think I can just barely see a boat-hull fuselage through that fence.
I assumed it was a flying boat based on the fact that it had a weird fuselage and a pusher prop mounted above the fuselage. No idea what it actually is, if anyone has ideas I'm curious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

standard.deviant posted:

No idea what it actually is, if anyone has ideas I'm curious.

Captain Apollo posted:

It's a Lake Buccaneer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Buccaneer

Looks like it

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Yeah thanks, missed that between helicopter chemtrail chat.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Enourmo posted:

Spraying for mosquitoes?

I live across the street from a freshwater harbor on Lake Erie so that might be possible. It doesn't look like its spraying anything when it flies over, but that doesn't necessarily mean that its not.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Captain Apollo posted:

It's a Lake Buccaneer

Growing up our folks inherited a summer house up in the Middle of Nowhere, VT. Our neighbor up there lived in NJ and owned a Lake, and would fly up every Friday after work, spend the weekend on the lake, then Sunday after dinner would fly home. I always wanted a ride, but he was seriously in vacation mode once he got up there and would only take the plane out when leaving on Sunday.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Luneshot posted:

Identification question: This helicopter with a long horizontal boom has been making straight passes every thirty minutes or so over my neighborhood for the past couple days. My best guess is that it's one of two possibilities: crop spraying (but I live in a suburban area, there are no crops around here). My other thought is some sort of radar mapping or synthetic aperture radar, and that seems more likely to me.

Any clue what its doing?

Looks like the one they use in the Chicago area to spray the forest preserves for gypsy moths (an introduced species slowly eating North America)

routlej1
Apr 1, 2010
Oh the humanity:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-37174417

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Luneshot posted:

Any clue what its doing?

About 10 years back some helicopters sprayed my suburban neighborhood for dutch elm disease iirc.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Hello Airplanes? It's Blimps. You win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg-RPTiVa_Q

Video of the slowest air crash in years

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I like the comments making fun of the media requests

quote:

Hi Lee would you have sex with my wife I would credit you of course.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh the humanity.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The R101 wishes its crash had been as boring as this.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cat Mattress posted:

to be fair the Maiden song would sound the same

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Captain Postal posted:

Video of the slowest air crash in years

All I can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlUgilKqms

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

I won't lie my reaction was "FFS Airlander crashes?! [watches video] I...huh. That's not so bad. DO YOU SEE HOW SAFE AIRSHIPS ARE, WORLD!?"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The multi-generational British commentary makes the video, for me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

http://youtubedoubler.com/j8Xp

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

I won't lie my reaction was "FFS Airlander crashes?! [watches video] I...huh. That's not so bad. DO YOU SEE HOW SAFE AIRSHIPS ARE, WORLD!?"

Devils advocate: the only part that was squished was the part with the squishy bits

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I just hope that the pilots had enough time to yell ♪ noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ♪ and run to the back of the cab in slow motion.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Luneshot posted:

Any clue what its doing?

That's definitely a spray rig; but who knows what they're doing. Probably spraying something, but I once worked on a flight test program where we modified a similar Simplex spray rig to hold sensors on the spray boom. We left the tank/pump in place since the configuration already had an approved STC and it was less work just to leave it there. We were flying over an airfield in the Bay Area and a number of people called the police with concerns ranging from terrorist chemical attack to some (not so) secret government mind control program.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

You know that grand dad that re-posts information from 3 years ago?

That's me.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 26, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That article is a year old.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever brings more misery and suffering to amateur drone pilots, gently caress yeah.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
haven't seen this posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kle80KB_s3I

what'd you say Vr was again?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's like me in a flightsim :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That pilot didn’t play enough KSP.

The runway is free lift.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

iyaayas01 posted:

Plane full of too many Americans leading to incorrect weight estimate? :btroll:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EightBit posted:

I do wonder if Ethiopian saves on fuel due to lighter passengers. :v:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do wonder if Ethiopian saves on fuel due to lighter passengers. :v:

well Kenya forced their athletes to move into a shanty-town after the Olympic Village shut down because they were holding out for cheaper flights

so apparently it's not enough of a difference to matter with that

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EightBit posted:

Early rotation. You can see him start to carry the nosewheel waaaaaaaaaay early.

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:

iyaayas01 posted:

Was he taking off with no flaps?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

fatman posted:

Nah, it looks like flaps 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

fatman posted:

No; the leading edge slats are deployed and there is some reflection of the trailing edge flaps, so they are deployed, just at a low setting, like flaps 5 or something. Flaps 1 is slat deployment only IIRC.

A 737 apparently cannot takeoff with no flap or slat deployment; the rotation speed would be upwards of 195 knots which would exceed the tire speed for the aircraft.