Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VH4Ever posted:

Wow I missed the day when going to a fundraiser in Austin and going to the Moody theater to tape an interview for Fox news qualified as "going to the border." So by his logic, when I go to San Antonio, I crossed the border?

EDIT: I think you misread that. I think that tweet means the subject of his Fox interview is "THE BORDER." Not that he's physically there. He's not.

I know where it is because it's smack dab in the middle of my drive home so any Secret Service bullshit they do for it is gonna gently caress up my evening. But yeah I see what you're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why do people say this? He's getting slaughtered in the media and in the polls, I don't get how that's a free pass.

There's a double standard in the media and, to an extent, in the popular opinion between Clinton and Trump. When Trump goes a few days without insulting firemen or making fun of a disabled person, everyone says he's "having a good week" and talks about how he's "acting more professional." So many stupid things Trump says or does don't even get any airtime because they're so busy covering the more glaring issues. There are just so many awful things coming out of Trump's campaign that the bar couldn't be any lower. On the other hand, Hillary's campaign has been a well-oiled machine, so any misstep or even completely baseless allegation about her gets a disproportionate amount of airtime because the media is determined to present the race in at least a somewhat "balanced" way. They're treating Trump and Clinton like two roughly equal candidates, when in fact Hillary is professional and well-informed while Trump is a joke candidate.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

emdash posted:

They were very careful not to give the_donald much actually. Only ~14 answers and all boring as hell

Says something about this campaign when my brain read that as '14 words.'

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

I know where it is because it's smack dab in the middle of my drive home so any Secret Service bullshit they do for it is gonna gently caress up my evening. But yeah I see what you're saying.

Yeah that should be interesting since that stretch of 183 has been pigfucked for some time due to all the construction. I'm not even trying to go that way and I can't imagine how backed up it will be.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

Jesus....that's terrifying.

It is, isn't it? I find the sheer hatred of the press to be the most disturbing part. These people literally believe the press is part of a vast liberal conspiracy against Trump. They seem to care a lot more about the Second Amendment than the First.

Trump is essentially a right wing conspiracy theorist. Conspiracy theories are very appealing to disadvantaged members of society, particularly those who are members of formerly privileged groups such as white men. In America everyone wants to feel like a victim, and to be a victim you need a victimizer. For Trump supporters, immigrants, affirmative action, Black Lives Matter, terrorists and of course Obama are the scapegoats du jour.

To be honest, I used to be a left wing conspiracy theorist so I understand the psychological appeal and the dangers of conspiratorial thinking. Because conspiracies are, by definition, covered up and secret, a true conspiracy theorist will reject all reasoned criticism because any evidence you show them they will dismiss as fabrication, part of the cover up. Their convictions are based on their paranoia that "something is going on" and not any particularly compelling evidence. CTs are uniquely stubborn because they have so much invested in the theory; it makes them feel superior to know what is really going on unlike the "sheeple" as well as feeling victimized for their viewpoint being roundly rejected by society.

Beliefs of secret plots to achieve world domination by minority groups (e.g. Jews, freemasons, Catholics) have always existed, but usually only amongst fringe groups. What happens when a large fraction of the population become conspiracy theorists who believe, for example, Obama is a secret Muslim, Clinton created ISIS and every Muslim secretly working towards a global caliphate? History shows that the popularity of such beliefs leads only to scapegoating, persecuting and war.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pakled posted:

There's a double standard in the media and, to an extent, in the popular opinion between Clinton and Trump. When Trump goes a few days without insulting firemen or making fun of a disabled person, everyone says he's "having a good week" and talks about how he's "acting more professional." So many stupid things Trump says or does don't even get any airtime because they're so busy covering the more glaring issues. There are just so many awful things coming out of Trump's campaign that the bar couldn't be any lower. On the other hand, Hillary's campaign has been a well-oiled machine, so any misstep or even completely baseless allegation about her gets a disproportionate amount of airtime because the media is determined to present the race in at least a somewhat "balanced" way. They're treating Trump and Clinton like two roughly equal candidates, when in fact Hillary is professional and well-informed while Trump is a joke candidate.

Media is also made up of people and Trump makes it very, very easy to do their job and Hillary makes it very, very hard to do their job, so on a personal level, they probably don't like her as much.

But yeah, the view from nowhere, this forced objectivity is bullshit. There's a NYT article about it today in fact, and it uses the syringe conspiracy theory to illustrate how the "this side says, but critics contend" model of journalism fails.

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah that should be interesting since that stretch of 183 has been pigfucked for some time due to all the construction. I'm not even trying to go that way and I can't imagine how backed up it will be.

Oh I'm talking about his deal at Moody theater from 4-6.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Svanja posted:

Says something about this campaign when my brain read that as '14 words.'

If you count up the words in the answers it adds up to 88. (I wish this was true)

Trying to be as unbiased as possible and forcing objectivity results in a massive bias towards people that have no issue with flagrantly lying. It's an incredibly poor way to try and promote the truth but it's also an easy way to fight off accusations of bias if you are incredibly cowardly and have no professional pride.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 23, 2016

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Missed this earlier, thanks for sharing.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/trump-white-blue-collar-supporters#tesb

Mojo has a new article that, it seems, started as a five-year effort to understand tea partiers and evolved into a look into Trump supporters

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bless these noble souls for standing up to the racist hate speech that is #blacklivesmatter.
:911:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So apparently Hillary said Powell suggested using a private server. Like, at this point I'm thinking Clinton keeps saying poo poo like this to keep the media trying to get more blood from the stone.

zoux posted:

But yeah, the view from nowhere, this forced objectivity is bullshit. There's a NYT article about it today in fact, and it uses the syringe conspiracy theory to illustrate how the "this side says, but critics contend" model of journalism fails.

Link? I'd like to read.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What does 14 words mean, and what is the context it's being used in? I assume it's some creepy white supremacist bullshit but :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Just because they've ceded the national news cycle to Trump doesn't mean they're doing nothing.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/768083669550366720

Everyone is being mean to me!

Billy West, please, we need you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

What does 14 words mean, and what is the context it's being used in? I assume it's some creepy white supremacist bullshit but :shrug:

Something about preserving the future for white children.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/768097204376510464

One of the reveals is that a person left 50 voice mails for a staffer trying to get access to HRC. I know that whenever I get up above 40 voicemails that I'm getting close to access.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

It's a white nationalist slogan: We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Its something or other about securing the white race and white children for the future.

Edit:beaten

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Why don't you go ahead and put the whole world in a bottle, Superman?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VH4Ever posted:

Wow I missed the day when going to a fundraiser in Austin and going to the Moody theater to tape an interview for Fox news qualified as "going to the border." So by his logic, when I go to San Antonio, I crossed the border?

EDIT: I think you misread that. I think that tweet means the subject of his Fox interview is "THE BORDER." Not that he's physically there. He's not.

Edit2: I love how he can't say "Austin," but rather he's "in Texas." Funny, revealing.

Rudy went on record saying Trump was "brave" for giving a speech in "Milwaukee" so "close" to the Sherman Park Riots. His taped interview with Lumpy was at the Pabst Theater, which is in downtown Milwaukee and no where near the riots (Around 3.5 miles away, give or take) in a safe part of Milwaukee. His policy speech, the first one to have a direct pitch to African-Americans, was in the lily white suburb of West Bend (as in it was over 20 miles away from Sherman Park)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

greatn posted:

It was more blaise than even that. He voted for a funding bill for the Iraq war in committee, and then against it when it was up for passage because he didn't like the amendment that stripped out some provisions he was for.

Having been a Kerry staffer in 2004, I can tell you a lot about it.

The key thing was that he had voted to authorize the war, before being against it -- in general terms. Along with the usual senator history of being for something, while also having to vote against things.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

I am also continually amazed at how little Clinton is having to do to win this election

They spun up the largest, savviest political machine of all time...and they're mostly sitting back and letting their opponent wreck himself.

It would be great to see an alt history with the current Clinton machine vs the old Obama machine. Then again I guess Clinton learned most of her skills after studying her loss to Obama.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/768098681073479680

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/768098902905987072

I guess Paxton is well chuffed after his "victory" yesterday so they're doubling down with this I'm sure fully real and huge issue affecting millions.

Also, are transition procedures typically conducted on pre pubescent children?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This was from the GBS invasion of Reagan Book, the conservative Facebook alternative and it still makes me laugh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Im honestly surprised by the absolute speed and force of the rights push against transgender folks. They turned on a dime after gay marriage and have slammed down on the gas.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

emdash posted:

specifically re: the_donald? I think it's pretty much been glossed over that his single biggest, most enthusiastic online community harbors explicitly white supremacist material

I guess I was talking in general, which now that I think about it was dumb when responding to a comment that specifically WAS referencing the_donald. Bad on my part.

Pakled posted:

when in fact Hillary is professional and well-informed while Trump is a joke candidate.

My point is the polls reflect this.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

They're teaching the controversy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tom Guycot posted:

Im honestly surprised by the absolute speed and force of the rights push against transgender folks. They turned on a dime after gay marriage and have slammed down on the gas.

It's a bit... I don't know, easier? Sexuality is something that is easily hidden. Most people don't broadcast their sexuality to the world. That, and it's easy to go "THINK OF THE CHILDREN/WOMEN".

That and they may have already had plans to... only losing on same-sex marriage made them want to get /some/ victory. The irony is it hilariously backfired on them.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

zoux posted:

I guess Paxton is well chuffed after his "victory" yesterday so they're doubling down with this I'm sure fully real and huge issue affecting millions.

AFAIK, not unless they're intersex, no. Children with diagnosed dysphoria entering puberty are sometimes put on hormone blockers until they're old enough to reasonably consent to undergoing hormone replacement, though.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I guess I was talking in general, which now that I think about it was dumb when responding to a comment that specifically WAS referencing the_donald. Bad on my part.

My point is the polls reflect this.

Well, I'm talking more about media coverage than the polls. Though I'd say if the polls accurately reflected just how historically awful of a candidate Trump was, he'd be getting a lot less than ~40% of the vote.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/irin/status/768100983058620416

https://twitter.com/irin/status/768101234637172736

The media is not running those ads idiots.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

zoux posted:

No. No above the board doctor who specializes in Gender reassignment will not perform these procedures on children. In the UK, where there are some standardized practices, Trans children do on even start HOrmone replacement therapy till 16.

Edit: Fishmech or another trans person may be able to say more.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 23, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's good on Texas to help speed up the eventual SCOTUS case that will produce Trans rights.

They've really learned nothing from this, have they

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

whoa, trumps next leveling with not buying ads pays off

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

No. No above the board doctor who specializes in Gender reassignment will not perform these procedures on children. In the UK, where there are some standardized practices, Trans children do on even start HOrmone replacement therapy till 16.

I didn't think so, but now Obama is forcing good christian doctors to arbitrarily change the sex of children. It happens all the time!!!

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/768102059656839168

Lol, the whole network is going down. Her filing indicts basically the whole culture at fox calling it "playboy-mansion like"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is this the 11th dimensional Obama chess deployed at last?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pakled posted:

Not the first time trying to be neutral instead of truthful kept the press from doing its job.

Hunter S. Thompson posted:

Some people will say that words like scum and rotten are wrong for Objective Journalism -- which is true, but they miss the point. It was the built-in blind spots of the Objective rules and dogma that allowed Nixon to slither into the White House in the first place.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

Something about preserving the future for white children.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/768097204376510464

One of the reveals is that a person left 50 voice mails for a staffer trying to get access to HRC. I know that whenever I get up above 40 voicemails that I'm getting close to access.

Clinton's emails are behind the fire truck near the SS ANNE.

Anyone else hearing echoes of maniacal laughter of Dictator going "YES! YES!"?

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 23, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pakled posted:

Well, I'm talking more about media coverage than the polls. Though I'd say if the polls accurately reflected just how historically awful of a candidate Trump was, he'd be getting a lot less than ~40% of the vote.

Yeah. If Hillary (or one of her campaign staffers) was openly calling for the execution of Trump after she won it wouldn't be a blurb that was forgotten in half an hour. It would be a talking point that would last for a month if not longer until she had to shamefully pull it back and fire the person responsible in a very public way. Trump is being treated with the most incredible kids gloves possible and still loving up which is really dangerous since part of the election process should be determining if the candidates are suitably qualified and the media trying desperately to pretend that Trump and Hillary are at all compatible (and basically raising Trump to the level of a professional with decades of experience and an actual campaign platform) is ridiculously negligent in their duty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also that Tantaros filing says that on-air talent was specifically forbidden from defending Megyn Kelly.

https://twitter.com/kyletblaine/status/768103235324370944

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are we watching the actual demise of the American conservative machine? Is it really happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No one should be treated like the Fox News women were and I hope that they take them to the cleaners. The people acting shocked that this was happening are absurdly naive though especially after O'Reilly doing it years ago and getting away with it and still be able to be taken seriously as someone with any semblance of moral authority.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are we watching the actual demise of the American conservative machine? Is it really happening?

Nah.

• Locked thread