Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
$250,000 isn't anywhere near enough for spinal surgery/rehab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's a loving bullshit policy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

froglet posted:

Relevant detail - it's an electric bike (i.e. reasonably expensive) to commute to work. According to the internet, it's "only" $100 to insure, which is low enough for me to consider just getting it, but is there anything else I should be taking into consideration here? If the ocean suddenly swallowed up my bike tomorrow and I weren't insured, I'm not sure I'd be prepared to splash out my own funds for a new one, which I guess means I should probably insure it?

Do you really need an electric bike? What about your commute requires you slam down $2,500-4,000 on an electric bike? Are you commuting through the hilliest hills ever hilled? Are you commuting 40+ miles each way?

I guess where I'm going with that line of questioning is: Are you debating insuring your toy, or are you debating insuring a vital form of justifiable transportation? The answer on whether $100 every six months (plus your maintenance costs, which are higher than a regular bike) is justifiable kind of depends on that, in my view. (Also, if it's a toy that you can't afford to replace, you can't afford the toy.)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Don't pay for insurance on anything worth less than $10K if you can get away with it. Also things over $10K if you can get away with it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Pay for insurance if you expect it to be profitable - ie you have some sort of information asymmetry with the insurance company.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Or if the downside of being wrong would be financial devastation.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'd say if your bike is on a porch or otherwise not stored inside your apartment/house that I'd just make sure you have renter's insurance (which is GWM) and that will cover it if it disappears from your place. Otherwise, $100-200 every 6 months would only be worth it if that's covering a large collection of expensive bikes (more than 10K worth of bikes.)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Sundae posted:

Do you really need an electric bike? What about your commute requires you slam down $2,500-4,000 on an electric bike? Are you commuting through the hilliest hills ever hilled? Are you commuting 40+ miles each way?

I guess where I'm going with that line of questioning is: Are you debating insuring your toy, or are you debating insuring a vital form of justifiable transportation? The answer on whether $100 every six months (plus your maintenance costs, which are higher than a regular bike) is justifiable kind of depends on that, in my view. (Also, if it's a toy that you can't afford to replace, you can't afford the toy.)

It's $100 a year rather than every 6 months, but that's just semantics.

While I think ebikes are cool, I'm not exactly thrilled to be splashing out $2k on one. I've really thought about this, and I can't see any other good, ongoing solution aside from moving closer to my new job, which is hard to justify given I'm the lower-earning half of a couple and the rent is a bargain in this area (though if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know!). The past few weeks I've been discussing with my SO and some friends familiar with the area and the general consensus is that an ebike is the least-bad and most reliable option given my personal situation, so it's not like I've just decided to up and get one and I'm retroactively finding excuses to buy it.

But anyway, thanks everyone!

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 26, 2016

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If the other option is getting a car, then an ebike is a slam dunk. If the other option is getting a regular bike, ehh.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

froglet posted:

It's $100 a year rather than every 6 months, but that's just semantics.

While I think ebikes are cool, I'm not exactly thrilled to be splashing out $2k on one. I've really thought about this, and I can't see any other good, ongoing solution aside from moving closer to my new job, which is hard to justify given I'm the lower-earning half of a couple and the rent is a bargain in this area (though if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know!). The past few weeks I've been discussing with my SO and some friends familiar with the area and the general consensus is that an ebike is the least-bad and most reliable option given my personal situation, so it's not like I've just decided to up and get one and I'm retroactively finding excuses to buy it.

But anyway, thanks everyone!

Fair enough, then! If the alternative is a car and you're too far from work / too ungodly hilly to do a regular bike ride, I'm not going to condemn an electric bike. :) $100 a year isn't bad when compared to auto or motorcycle insurance, and if it's your main mode of transportation, then it would indeed be a problem to lose it.

I think it's reasonable, then, if a regular bike truly isn't an option.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
eBikes are heaven on wheels. Pedal-assist allows for an awesome man-machine symbiosis.

Unless your commute is really short, with good bike infrastructure all the way, I don't blame anyone for going eBike instead of regular bike.

I have an eBike, but I don't use it to commute to work, as my commute is only 5 KM each way. But I don't have a car, so the eBike is my car replacement.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I love the way BFC goes off into a tizzy any time a luxury or semi luxury product is mentioned that some people think is needless. You guys are a bunch of crotchety bastard Ebenezer assholes and I love it.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Re: renters insurance that someone mentioned a few posts above, there have been a slew of robberies which have happened to a number of my coworkers this summer, and none of them have renters insurance and they're basically poo poo out of luck. One got a bunch of guns stolen from him, and the cops told him he's never going to see any of them again.

I think they all have renters insurance now, but that's only going to help going forward.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

he's never going to see any of them again.

Seeing as they got away with it the first time, I don't know about that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Moneyball posted:

Seeing as they got away with it the first time, I don't know about that.

Probably meant the guns. Although they have a chance of looking the wrong way down the barrel when the robbers come back

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I love the way BFC goes off into a tizzy any time a luxury or semi luxury product is mentioned that some people think is needless. You guys are a bunch of crotchety bastard Ebenezer assholes and I love it.

It's not so much the luxury aspect of it, to me, as it is the cost/risk vs benefit of the ebike. EBikes are loving expensive to maintain if the wrong part breaks, they scream "pricey" and invite theft, they're still small enough for someone to steal in a hurry and get away with if not properly secured (and the higher the value, the harder it is to "properly" secure a bike because even the individual parts can sell for a lot - speaking from experience there re: unnecessarily expensive bikes getting part-jacked), and while they're way better than cars, they don't have the same exercise benefit as a regular bicycle.

But if it really is the best option, it's the best option. :shrug: Not going to argue on that one, and it's way better than owning a car if you can avoid having one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

Although they have a chance of looking the wrong way down the barrel when the robbers come back
Yes that was the joke

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Cacafuego posted:

Probably meant the guns. Although they have a chance of looking the wrong way down the barrel when the robbers come back

I tried to make a funny :downsrim:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sundae posted:

It's not so much the luxury aspect of it, to me, as it is the cost/risk vs benefit of the ebike. EBikes are loving expensive to maintain if the wrong part breaks, they scream "pricey" and invite theft, they're still small enough for someone to steal in a hurry and get away with if not properly secured (and the higher the value, the harder it is to "properly" secure a bike because even the individual parts can sell for a lot - speaking from experience there re: unnecessarily expensive bikes getting part-jacked), and while they're way better than cars, they don't have the same exercise benefit as a regular bicycle.

But if it really is the best option, it's the best option. :shrug: Not going to argue on that one, and it's way better than owning a car if you can avoid having one.

Yeah, my ex landlord had an e-bike, and splashed out a bit more for a conversion kit sold by a small company in Australia that presumably added some QA into the whole :china: of the endeavour, about AU$1000. He was just riding it to/from work, about 15 minutes (but with some steep hills and he's middle-aged).

Hub motor died within a year and it just sat there.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Quick question, looking for an opinion.

My neighbor and I share a portion of a sewer line that runs on my property, but neither of us knew we shared it until May 2016.
I had work done on the shared portion back on Dec 2015, which affected my neighbor's connection.
May 2016, my neighbor excavates his line and discovers it runs through my property. I allow the access and the work, since I'm reasonable and my yard can't look much worse. The plumbing company reconnects his line to mine free of charge, warranty work, and we again share the line to the city sewer. The city was OKs the connection since it was pre-existing, not new construction.

We have no current agreement about maintenance of his sewer line on my property, nor maintenance of the shared portion on my property. I've consulted a lawyer about drafting something up. Meanwhile, I've already paid the mid $four-figure amount for the work done back on Dec 2015. I ask my neighbor if he will split the cost for the work done back on Dec 2015 for the line we share, he says "No, I'm not going to pay for that."

Do I have any basis to sue? He rents the house out, so I'm not worried about creating bad blood. I'm looking for about $2.5k tops.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It's his windfall. You would have done the sewer work anyways.

Figuring out after-the-fact that something you did was altruistic-by-happenstance and then looking to charge for it is a dick move. Unless, of course, the shared line incurs a reasonable increase in maintenance costs, in which case he should be held liable for that.

This ain't legal advice.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
That makes sense. I'm still going to pursue drawing up a maintenance agreement, I doubt I'd be able to sell my house without it. I guess I should look at selling my neighbor an easement for the portion of my property his line runs though before the Y.

I'll be talking to a lawyer this week or next, just trying to get an informal opinion.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

NoWake posted:

That makes sense. I'm still going to pursue drawing up a maintenance agreement, I doubt I'd be able to sell my house without it. I guess I should look at selling my neighbor an easement for the portion of my property his line runs though before the Y.

I'll be talking to a lawyer this week or next, just trying to get an informal opinion.

If it was built that way a long time ago and is a utility conduit he probably isn't going to pay you money for an easement either, but yeah an attorney might know better.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

If it was built that way a long time ago and is a utility conduit he probably isn't going to pay you money for an easement either, but yeah an attorney might know better.

Yup, judging by the beer bottle pulled out of the trench, nobody's been down there since before prohibition.

Elgin Eagle brewing company, 1894-1920

Just remembered I'd paid for title insurance at closing, and assuming it's not just a scam, I'll be looking to them or the county recorder to see if anythings been drawn up in the last 100 years.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

cool bottle

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but does anyone have experience with being hosed over by a company switching from accrued PTO to flexible PTO and forcing you to forfeit your vacation time? I was laid off earlier this month and thought I would get my accrued vacation does, but apparently they switched to a flexible PTO plan a few months ago and were so gracious as to forfeit my accrued PTO for me without making it clear to me. Is there anything I can do? This must be typical now?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

That sounds like a very cool lawsuit that will probably be settled out of court so fast it'll make your head spin. The potential liability of your employer, if you win, is silly -- like millions.

I know approximately nothing about labor laws, but I think this is a great example of a time where calling a lawyer and paying them $200 could make you thousands.

e: I think the crux of the case will be on how vacation days are handled by the law for your type of employer/employee relationship. I know salaried-exempt employees have seriously reduced legal powers in some of these cases compared to hourly or non-exempt workers.

DNK fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 15, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I believe that as long as the employer is consistent then they can do pretty much whatever they want. State laws may vary but even under an accrued model I don't believe there is anything at the federal level that requires that the employer pay out vacation. It might be worth consulting a lawyer cause you can probably do it for free. I think a first step would be to find out if the new policy is clearly stated in an employee handbook or the equivalent.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but does anyone have experience with being hosed over by a company switching from accrued PTO to flexible PTO and forcing you to forfeit your vacation time? I was laid off earlier this month and thought I would get my accrued vacation does, but apparently they switched to a flexible PTO plan a few months ago and were so gracious as to forfeit my accrued PTO for me without making it clear to me. Is there anything I can do? This must be typical now?
Every instance of an employer switching from accrued PTO to flexible PTO that I've heard of (and at my employer) has involved a cash-out at the time of the transition. As asur said though, requirements probably vary from state to state.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Naturally HR seems to hire directly from the used car lot salesman pool, so you can imagine how helpful they were. I'll file a complaint with my labor commissioner for now, and talk to a lawyer later. Thanks for the help everyone.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Couldn't find a more suitable thread for this, but I have a question about this job at Facebook. It's in one of their Asian offices and the position is a Business Integrity Analyst. I have no idea what the position actually entails. This is the job description:

Like, I use Facebook daily and even dabble in its functionality for businesses. But what would I actually be doing in this job? What kinds of fraud does Facebook deal with? Am I essentially the guy where user reports go to? Just a little confused.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm pretty sure the job would be to police sponsored links, etc. and make sure they aren't soliciting for anything illegal, aren't defrauding people or infecting their computers, and/or aren't hijacking their FB accounts using exploits. Stuff like that. That's just a guess though.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I know there is fraud with the Facebook advertising. And then they also have to protect from people who create fake Facebook pages/groups for companies/partners of Facebook.

Just guessing those would be business integrity issues.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You know how somethingawful sometimes has ads for like, a website selling novelty cocaine snifters? I'm guessing facebook doesn't want those.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Couldn't find a more suitable thread for this, but I have a question about this job at Facebook. It's in one of their Asian offices and the position is a Business Integrity Analyst. I have no idea what the position actually entails. This is the job description:

Like, I use Facebook daily and even dabble in its functionality for businesses. But what would I actually be doing in this job? What kinds of fraud does Facebook deal with? Am I essentially the guy where user reports go to? Just a little confused.

This job is to break the knees of twitter users and post on Instagram.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I've figured out my financial poo poo and it's pretty cool. Thought I'd share:

1 checking account (@ Wells Fargo)
2 savings accounts (@ Ally)
1 taxable brokerage account (@ Vanguard)
1 ROTH IRA (@ Vanguard)
1 401k (@ Fidelity)

3 standard CCs (Citi Doublecash, Citi Costco, Chase Amazon)

2 flavor CCs (WF whatevercard -- like 15 years of account history, and AmEx BlueCash -- just got $150 spend bonus, planning on churning)

1 Car Loan @ 1.09% (@ ToyotaFinancial; 13k)

I use the WF checking as a clearing account / money hub and transfer to CCs / savings / brokerage each pay period. I'm hitting around ~15% into retirement accounts, ~15% into savings, and ~30% into taxable brokerage (still in index funds though).

Current plans: Engagement Ring, House, Kids in that order, starting now, and preferably spaced about two years apart.

I'm comfortable with my investments and their risks and all that. Feels good. Thanks for being around, BFC.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I bought a miniature copy of Winston Churchill and it only set me back $6500!!! Don't worry, I'll make it all back in tax deductions. Obligatory day-old stoner baby girl face, freshly smushed up from being pushed out of a vagina:

And just so everyone knows, a 22 hour labor and delivery with zero drugs and labial tearing was still less painful than reading through all of Boon's lovely posts in the BWM thread.

moana fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 2, 2016

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Congratulations!!!! :neckbeard:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Congrats, she's adorable!

moana posted:

22 hour labor and delivery with zero drugs and labial tearing

Jesus Christ. Maybe I'll adopt any kids I have so as to never again hear the phrase "labial tearing".