Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i like to drink my (empty) ashen estus pre-fight so the other guy drinks all his regular estus and then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

-S- posted:

i like to drink my (empty) ashen estus pre-fight so the other guy drinks all his regular estus and then

Now see here, this poster is thinking with

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
dlc comin out oct 25, drat I was hoping it was like a month away

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Toady posted:

You're right about the thematic links to the Lord Souls, but Yhorm's relationship to the Profaned Flame makes him analogous to the Witch of Izalith. The Twin Princes are Seath, Aldritch is Nito, and the Abyss Watchers are the Four Kings.

My point wasn't that they match a boss from the first game, they match a character from the actual opening sequence; so Nito(Aldritch), Seathe(Yhorm), Pygmy(Ludleth), Lothric(Gwyn), Witch(Watchers). They're meant to re-enact the finding of the first flame by Gwyn and his compatriots.

Lothric as last hope of his line and a master of Light magic matches up to Gwyn, the first king and master of lightning. Yhorm as the descendant of a conquering race who gave the secret to the destruction of his own race to those they ruled is Seath. Nito who devours everything even gods is matched to Nito, Lord of death who will claim all eventually. The Watchers are the weakest connection in this set up, and honestly that frustrates me but my main thought is of family, the Witch of Izalith and her daughters are a sisterhood who share blood by birth and become monsters, the Watchers are blood-brothers who burned as one, with only a few avoiding their fate just as a few of the Witches daughters remained humanoid. Finally the little Lord Ludelth, who seems unassuming and weak but ends up being absurdly important and changes the world after the others act, much like the Furtive Pygmy created Humanity and thus drastically changed the Dark Souls world.

I actually think the 4 Lord Souls all have their own element or power that can run wild; The Witch had Fire which becomes Chaos, Gwyn had Light which becomes the weird angelic magic that Lothric and the Winged Knights use, Nito has Death which becomes the Deep, and the Pygmy has Darkness/Humanity which obviously became Abyss. Seath also managed to create a Lord Soul in this set-up, in that he created a soul of Sorcery, which when running wild produces crystal sorcery. The only actual Lord Soul in this game though is Seath's artificial one, which has been consumed by Oceiros in his quest for the power of a dragon, and possibly that of Gwyn which is of course part of the Final Boss, the other ones are nowhere to be found as far as I can tell.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

KingSlime posted:

dlc comin out oct 25, drat I was hoping it was like a month away

EXCLUSIVE PVP MAP!!!!

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/dark-souls-iii-first-dlc-launches-october-25-japan

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That's neat, wonder if it's going to integrate into existing dead ends of the world like in DS2 or if it's hidden in some obscure ritual like DS1.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Is this the DLC that enables DS1-style poise so the game reaches bellend of depth to its PvP?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"Ashes of Ariandel."

Is Ariandel something in the lore already in the game? I mean we knew about Artorias long before his DLC, and we knew there had been previous Kings in Dark Souls 2, at least in a general way.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't recognize it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Lotish posted:

"Ashes of Ariandel."

Is Ariandel something in the lore already in the game? I mean we knew about Artorias long before his DLC, and we knew there had been previous Kings in Dark Souls 2, at least in a general way.

I don't think so. Miyazaki previously said he wanted to look towards a different place and atmosphere with the dlc.

(in b4 trailer tomorrow shows Solaire dancing atop a pile of primordial serpents)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I had to read that name like four times to not see Andariel from Diablo 2.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

RyokoTK posted:

I had to read that name like four times to not see Andariel from Diablo 2.

I'm going to have a wet dream of a Souls game take on Diablo 2 now. No idea how the worm tunnels would be handled in any way but extra terrifying.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Worm tunnels are my least favourite part in a Diablo game. Playing that in a souls game would be the equivalent of mixing blighttown, the great hollow, lost izalith, the gutter, shrine of amana, farron's keep swamp and smouldering lake.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

First thing I thought when I heard Ariandel is that it sounds kinda similar to Ariamis, so maybe we might be seeing a bit more of the painted world? That''s just a shot in the dark, though.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Ariandel sounds like it could be angel related. It just has that tone to it, I dunno.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Ariandel is the Godess of poise and you must defeat her to enable poise in your world.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Poise is working fine.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Friendly Humour posted:

Poise is working fine.

It can't reduce you below 1 HP.

e: sorry I read this as "poison" a status effect from Diablo 2

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decrepus posted:

It can't reduce you below 1 HP.

e: sorry I read this as "poison" a status effect from Diablo 2

It's ok.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lotish posted:

"Ashes of Ariandel."

ariandel

ariamis

one and done

"snow level" too.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
gently caress me I thought the boreal valley was the snow level

For such a pretty area it was a loving slog, though I guess most of DS3 is

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

ariandel

ariamis

one and done

"snow level" too.

If it is, I'll be interested to know who the boss will be, considered Priscilla had a rather nasty encounter with good ol' Aldrich.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Who the hell was Ariamis, anyway.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

VerdantSquire posted:

If it is, I'll be interested to know who the boss will be, considered Priscilla had a rather nasty encounter with good ol' Aldrich.

Why do you think that? If it's because of his Lifehunt Scythe, it literally says he dreamed it in the spell description, not that he ate the user.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

skasion posted:

A good question

Another good question is - can I do the Bloodborne trick of backing up my save to then do the multiple endings back to back? I believe I've got everything I need to see all the endings and am very time poor so four playthroughs just isn't on the cards.

Speaking of endings, with the Firekeeper/betrayal ending (the one you unlock with the FK eyes, just to be clear) the wikis state that you get a different ending if you kill the Firekeeper at the end but don't go into detail. What's the difference?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I bet the entrance to one of the dlc's will be the mini-lordvessel w/ the coiled sword fragment directly behind you in the first room you warp to in Lothric High Wall at the very beginning of the game.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm on my first playthrough. I just beat the crystal sage and found a bunch of pyromancy stuff. Is there a way to restat?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RC Cola posted:

I'm on my first playthrough. I just beat the crystal sage and found a bunch of pyromancy stuff. Is there a way to restat?

In the upcoming area, although it requires a specific item and you can only respec 5 times per NG.
You need to have picked up the Pale Tongue in the area with the Fire Demon after first meeting Siegward. You give them to Rosaria in the Cathedral to respec.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

A good question

Another good question is - can I do the Bloodborne trick of backing up my save to then do the multiple endings back to back? I believe I've got everything I need to see all the endings and am very time poor so four playthroughs just isn't on the cards.

Speaking of endings, with the Firekeeper/betrayal ending (the one you unlock with the FK eyes, just to be clear) the wikis state that you get a different ending if you kill the Firekeeper at the end but don't go into detail. What's the difference?

You step on her head and take the flame from her, then chill in front of the eclipse like a total badass.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

Why do you think that? If it's because of his Lifehunt Scythe, it literally says he dreamed it in the spell description, not that he ate the user.
you realize he literally uses Priscilla's moves and weapons during the fight, right? Plus, hes clearly been established as essentially someone who eats powerful individuals and takes their powers. Aldrich having Priscilla's powers is pretty definitive of her fate - and do you really doubt that Miyazaki would mind killing her off?

skasion posted:

A person who made paintings that you could literally get inside of, that's about all we know about them.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 24, 2016

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

turtlecrunch posted:

You step on her head and take the flame from her, then chill in front of the eclipse like a total badass.

Yeah I don't think "total badass" is how I'd describe it, more like you completely lost yourself. You're completely broken and can't do anything but behold the dying flame, unsure of what to even do with it. It's the worst possible ending

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 24, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

VerdantSquire posted:

you realize he literally uses Priscilla's moves and weapons during the fight, right? Plus, hes clearly been established as essentially someone who eats powerful individuals and takes their powers. Aldrich having Priscilla's powers is pretty definitive of her fate - and do you really doubt that Miyazaki would mind killing her off?

Idk I also got from the item description that he dreamed of priscilla rather than eating her, which explained his moveset well. Maybe the implication is that Gwyndolin's memory of her was enough to acquire her skills? Seems likely to me.

E: Yeah and the fact that it's his "version" of it solidifies it more imo, as he clearly has complete access to Gwyndolin's moveset.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VerdantSquire posted:

I don't know, we know he has weird unexplained dream powers and the lifehunt scythe miracle is pretty clearly a creation of his via said powers. I feel like if he'd eaten Priscilla to gain her powers he would have her actual weapon and abilities like he does Gwyndolin's, instead of deep dream miracle copies or whatever.

"Miyazaki wouldn't mind killing her off" doesn't mean he actually did (or that Aldrich did it)

e: Also for all we know said powers could be from Yorshka, not Priscilla

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 24, 2016

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
In a shocking twist you get grabbed and pulled through a portal into a vastly different world to discover that Not-Andariel is actually the head administrator of a research-gone-wrong station on Mars, where you fight through hordes of demons to close the portal to hell (this is what you need the ashes for). But everything is spelled in yeh olde flowery language.

turns out the dev team really enjoyed their doom 2016 playthrough

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah wtf was up with Yorshka anyways, I'm guessing the DLC is gonna expand more on her? Maybe.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I got the impression from that description that aldrich just dreamed about the painted world. maybe he was influenced by gwyndolin, idk. you could read that either way tho since the game doesn't make it explicit

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I completely disagree. This is a game series which is famous in part for using game mechanics to imply story. I'm going to be brutally honest - the fact that you can make Lifehunt Scythe out of Aldritch's soul, a character who straight up uses a scythe as his primary weapon (or at least one of his major attacks, but he does use Lifehunt scythe) during the fight with him, and is established as someone who can consume beings to gain their powers, very strongly implies that he ate Priscilla as well. You could claim that there was a peaceful passage of abilities, but consider the people involved in this; Priscilla just seems like the kind of person who wants to be left alone in her own world, and Aldrich is absolutely not a character interested in cultivating long term relationships.

On top of this, a big theme in all of Dark Souls 3 is just the decay and destruction of the world. Ash lake got set on fire and thoroughly destroyed, the Demons are a race on the verge of death, the gods are now all but gone, and this may very well be the last time the fire is linked. The destruction of the painted world (at least as we knew it, depending on what the dlc ends up looking like!) would fit into this theme just fine, and I would doubt that Fromsoft would pass on the opportunity to continue the theme. Hell, the cathedral the painted world used to be in isn't even there anymore, let alone the painted world!

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
He's in the middle of eating Gwyndolin when you find him, in what timeframe could he possibly chug Priscilla down between having the dream and getting murked by the player character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why did you describe your thoughts on a video game as 'brutally honest'