Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Basically the least lovely part of the poo poo sandwich, which is what you can say about so many decisions from like forever ago onward into infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

On China: also remember that the Germany first policy was a thing. I'm sure China could have been better supported if all the men and material of the ETO had been plowed into Burma or wherever but then we would be reading some guy lamenting how the Soviets were left to fight off Hitler alone and how the military policy of the western allies was content to raid channel ports while they did all the real fighting. You know Stalins actual complaints ca 1942.

Yep, the strategy decided on made the most sense in the big picture, since Germany could much more plausibly win at some point. Which relates to the original thought I was idly pondering, that even enormous Midway style naval victories wouldn't have been sufficient to save Japan in the long run.

Anyway, this dude wasn't even really arguing that the Allies should have done things differently, more just lamenting that the way it worked out China ended up being the one in the proverbial barrel.

e: re CCP, he has a whole chapter that's just a very long list of every treacherous communication from US diplomats where they argue that the US should support the Communists. They range from the accurate "Mao is going to win anyway/ Communist China won't necessarily align with the USSR" to lol worthy "Mao isn't a 'real' communist and will enact democratic reform/ this will work out just *great* for the average Chinese citizen."

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 23, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Frankly of you look at China from the fall of the Qing on its a loving miracle it turned out as well as it did. The CCP hosed up a lot, especially in Mao's crazier years, but I'm not sure a KMT dictatorship like what Chang & Co set up in Taiwan would have done much better.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

An old favourite, now in high definition courtesy of a blog.

Flanker Pylon
Jul 22, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

what is a division? what is a corps? is it like what i mean when i say "armada" (a very large armed force collected for a certain aim, whether on land or on the sea, english speakers only remember one of them because we don't have that word in our language)

A division, at least in the Napoleonic era, is a permanent grouping of brigades and/or regiments with its own artillery support and dedicated staff. Usually it's about 7-10,000 troops for an infantry division, not sure about cavalry since they do their own thing.

A corps is a collection of divisions with a complement of cavalry, artillery and engineers. The idea is that it can fight alone for 24 hours or until other corps could come to its aid. They're about 20-30,000 strong.

A group of corps would typically form an army, usually responsible for a given geographic area (Army of Spain, Army of Bohemia, Army of Silesia, etc.), and is probably the same as an armada all things being equal.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

HEY GAL posted:

what is a division? what is a corps?

This isn't really apropos of the current discussion so forgive me but this kind of cracked me up because the contemporary US military has absolutely no idea what these two things are or will be in the future. Basically a bunch of senior officers just asked the same question and got a resounding :shrug: as an answer

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Frankly of you look at China from the fall of the Qing on its a loving miracle it turned out as well as it did. The CCP hosed up a lot, especially in Mao's crazier years, but I'm not sure a KMT dictatorship like what Chang & Co set up in Taiwan would have done much better.

In terms of political repression and corruption yeah it wouldn't really be any better, but I think the death toll would be lower. Chiang was really awful, but I don't see him being creative and bold enough to enact truly crazy poo poo on the level of deep ploughing, close cropping, and backyard furnaces. I totally believe he'd massacre tens or hundreds of thousands of dissidents, maybe mismanage a famine to the tune of or two or three million, but Mao's death toll is in 8 freaking digits and that would take a real concerted effort to match.

e: remind me not to complain about having to choose the lesser of two evils come election time.

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 23, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

P-Mack posted:

In terms of political repression and corruption yeah it wouldn't really be any better, but I think the death toll would be lower. Chiang was really awful, but I don't see him being creative and bold enough to enact truly crazy poo poo on the level of deep ploughing, close cropping, and backyard furnaces. I totally believe he'd massacre tens or hundreds of thousands of dissidents, maybe mismanage a famine to the tune of or two or three million, but Mao's death toll is in 8 freaking digits and that would take a real concerted effort to match.

Crazy Autocrat in control of the entirety of China, might have played out tragically similar... but that's gay black hitler territory.

How many people did the white terror in Taiwan kill? Can't be that many, right? I mean in "useless theoretical comparison that doesn't hold up to any scrutiny but is interesting" terms where you'd take the white terror death count compared to the average population of Taiwan between 47 and whenever it was in the 80s that it ended and then apply that proportion to all of China to see how many political dissidents per capita were removed of their capita in comparison between the two.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Siivola posted:

An old favourite, now in high definition courtesy of a blog.

I think my favorite is No. 4 where they both just start bashing each other with their helmets.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I like No 9 because that is a timeless classic.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

lenoon posted:

Crazy Autocrat in control of the entirety of China, might have played out tragically similar... but that's gay black hitler territory.

How many people did the white terror in Taiwan kill? Can't be that many, right? I mean in "useless theoretical comparison that doesn't hold up to any scrutiny but is interesting" terms where you'd take the white terror death count compared to the average population of Taiwan between 47 and whenever it was in the 80s that it ended and then apply that proportion to all of China to see how many political dissidents per capita were removed of their capita in comparison between the two.

Wikipedia's only giving 4000 executions, so if we multiply that by 50 we're only at 200,000. That's with a population that would have already been self selected for a low commie ratio, though. Dunno if Chiang would have been more paranoid or less if he'd had the whole mainland, so yeah it's firmly in the realm of interesting but useless theoretical comparison.

Flanker Pylon
Jul 22, 2007

bewbies posted:

This isn't really apropos of the current discussion so forgive me but this kind of cracked me up because the contemporary US military has absolutely no idea what these two things are or will be in the future. Basically a bunch of senior officers just asked the same question and got a resounding :shrug: as an answer

If it's any consolation, the Russian army has been in pretty much the same boat since 2008/9 or so.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

what is a division? what is a corps? is it like what i mean when i say "armada" (a very large armed force collected for a certain aim, whether on land or on the sea, english speakers only remember one of them because we don't have that word in our language)

Task Force.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SeanBeansShako posted:

I like No 9 because that is a timeless classic.
What's he doing, looting the corpse?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

david_a posted:

Looting is such an ugly word. He's just upgrading his baggage. With the contents of that mans coat. That he will wear and sell for drink/prostitures.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Flanker Pylon posted:

If it's any consolation, the Russian army has been in pretty much the same boat since 2008/9 or so.

I thought the Russians had Naval Infantry for that

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hmmm, good point

but we don't say "armada" so when we think armada we think the armada, even though it just means "armed [noun]" in spanish

armadillo is, of course, the diminutive of that

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

david_a posted:

welcome to the 17th century, plz enjoy your stay

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think brigades (brigada) in your era were more integrated combined arms formations that were assembled ad-hoc.
i might be completely wrong, but i thought brigade was just what the swedes called regiments

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't want to make this a huge digression, but I'd kinda like to register my skepticism over the (population growth rate based) methodology behind estimates of death tolls during stuff like the Great Leap Forward, and also the basic idea of comparing death tolls from direct repression on an island regime with foreign support, and from massive famine due to gross incompetence during a period of technological and diplomatic (self-)isolation.

There's not really any good examples of rapid industrialisation of a large rural country without massive bloodshed, and you can compare China with say India where in the latter you do avoid massive catastrophes - but the decline in mortality is a lot slower. Between 1950 and 1970 the death rate in China basically dropped by 2/3s while in India it only dropped by 1/3.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Birth_rate_in_China.svg/300px-Birth_rate_in_China.svg.png
vs
http://www.geocases2.co.uk/images/populationindia/populationindia_figure_3.jpg

You can see that the GLF stands out as a big peak in the Chinese graph mainly because of the much lower numbers before and after it - but that at its peak it was *equal* to India's average throughout the 1950s. If Chang Kai-Shek remained in control of China and decided to delay reform, we might not see single disasters like the GLF... but China could be racking up death tolls roughly on the scale of the GLF every year without anyone noticing.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 23, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
edit: oops, i mistranslated from 17th century spanish into modern spanish

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 23, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

edit: oops, i mistranslated from 17th century spanish into modern spanish

HeyGal.txt

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Fangz posted:

Sensible stuff

I think you're right - it was more an off the top of my head ridiculous comparison than any attempt to make a serious point of discussion.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fangz posted:

I don't want to make this a huge digression, but I'd kinda like to register my skepticism over the (population growth rate based) methodology behind estimates of death tolls during stuff like the Great Leap Forward, and also the basic idea of comparing death tolls from direct repression on an island regime with foreign support, and from massive famine due to gross incompetence during a period of technological and diplomatic (self-)isolation.

There's not really any good examples of rapid industrialisation of a large rural country without massive bloodshed, and you can compare China with say India where in the latter you do avoid massive catastrophes - but the decline in mortality is a lot slower. Between 1950 and 1970 the death rate in China basically dropped by 2/3s while in India it only dropped by 1/3.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Birth_rate_in_China.svg/300px-Birth_rate_in_China.svg.png
vs
http://www.geocases2.co.uk/images/populationindia/populationindia_figure_3.jpg

You can see that the GLF stands out as a big peak in the Chinese graph mainly because of the much lower numbers before and after it - but that at its peak it was *equal* to India's average throughout the 1950s. If Chang Kai-Shek remained in control of China and decided to delay reform, we might not see single disasters like the GLF... but China could be racking up death tolls roughly on the scale of the GLF every year without anyone noticing.
We know the comparison to Taiwan is useless which is why we called it as such. But I don't know that direct comparison to India is particularly enlightening either.

I'd disagree that killing millions (be they 10 or 30) through absurd avoidable mistakes helped the cause of industrialization and development- production declined in the aftermath of the GLF.

But I'm fine with dropping D&D lite and getting back to tank chat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

P-Mack posted:

We know the comparison to Taiwan is useless which is why we called it as such. But I don't know that direct comparison to India is particularly enlightening either.

I'd disagree that killing millions (be they 10 or 30) through absurd avoidable mistakes helped the cause of industrialization and development- production declined in the aftermath of the GLF.

But I'm fine with dropping D&D lite and getting back to tank chat.

To clarify, I'm not saying it helped the cause of industrialisation to have giant disasters, I am saying though that if you embark on a gigantic program of industrialisation with few experts on hand then mistakes are going to be made.

The only real way to avoid those catastrophes would be to bring in foreign advice and assistance, but for obvious reasons nobody in that time particularly wanted to assist China rising to a position where it could challenge their strength. I don't think that would have been different under Chang, and Chang would have the additional problem of having to fight against rural communist sympathies every step of the way. Comparing to India isn't great, but it's hard to think of any closer comparison.

EDIT: Also, I think the US was pretty naive about the prospect of democracy in all sorts of countries in this period. All sorts of dictators were supported on the basis of 'I'm sure they are serious about long term democratic reform, just a matter of time'. Taiwan didn't have democracy until the 80s, well after Mao's death.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 23, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

i might be completely wrong, but i thought brigade was just what the swedes called regiments

The Swedish brigade was around 2000 men on paper, and a regiment was a different thing, being regional-based if a national unit. Except when it wasn't.

I really should buy the Swedish General Staff's history of the wars of Gustav Adolf because I could actually look up in it what sub-units the Blue Brigade and the Yellow Brigade had.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HEY GAL posted:

hmmm, good point

but we don't say "armada" so when we think armada we think the armada, even though it just means "armed [noun]" in spanish

armadillo is, of course, the diminutive of that

In a modern spanish-language military context armada means navy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

P-Mack posted:

e: re CCP, he has a whole chapter that's just a very long list of every treacherous communication from US diplomats where they argue that the US should support the Communists. They range from the accurate "Mao is going to win anyway/ Communist China won't necessarily align with the USSR" to lol worthy "Mao isn't a 'real' communist and will enact democratic reform/ this will work out just *great* for the average Chinese citizen."

The latter isn't entirely unreasonable, there was a US mission to Yannan and the CPC had tried really hard to woo the US mission over. If the US had taken a pragmatic approach to China much like the British did and didn't ignore the Chinese concerns regarding Korea I think China could have been opened up 20 years earlier. I think the Soviets were a big enough pain in the rear end between 1949 and the Korean War that even the slightest interest by the Americans to normalize relations would've been seriously considered with enough prodding by Zhou Enlai.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
is it OK to Montecuccoli?

quote:

As a regimental "owner" Monetcuccoli probably profited from at least some of those sources of income that later came to be regarded as illicit. He had to invest his own money on occasion. In 1632 he had to pay his own ransom. Like the majority of his colleagues he was of noble origin. His rise to prominence was a family affair, and he tried to do as much for Galeotto as his relatives had done for him. He worried about his future while in captivity. He had military judicial difficulties. He fought or may have fought duels. He was a status-seeker. He appears to have enjoyed the exercise of power and to have looked for adventure. Yet in the last analysis he is somewhat atypical...Material factors did not concern Montecuccoli nearly as much as they did others. He was a bit spendthrift--after all this was a part of life at court--and his family complained about it. Unlike others...he did not show much business acumen....[He] seems to have spent all his money on books, good living, and aesthetically satisfying projects.
probably :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Swedish brigade was around 2000 men on paper, and a regiment was a different thing, being regional-based if a national unit. Except when it wasn't.

I really should buy the Swedish General Staff's history of the wars of Gustav Adolf because I could actually look up in it what sub-units the Blue Brigade and the Yellow Brigade had.
what, the Green, Red, and Black not good enough for you? bigot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bewbies posted:

I finally got to see the future howitzer which the engineers are lovingly referring to as RJ.

Sorry but this is the best pic I can find of it, you can kind of see how ridiculously long the barrel is. This is the new barrel and chamber mounted on a 777 chassis; they're also looking at mounting it on 105s and on the new A6 Paladins. Here is a contemporary 777 gun from about the same angle for comparison:

It can throw a 155mm round about 5 times the range of a WWII era equivalent or twice what a 777 can do, which is a really cool capability but it has a lot of issues associated with it, like it throws the rounds so high they enter into airspace normally only used by high flying aircraft, and we don't have a reliable way to see that far but hey 70km is 70km.

The ammo for that is going to be real expensive because surely without guided rounds you're gonna run into accuracy limitations based more around the intervening atmosphere rather than any limitation of the gun.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fangz posted:

To clarify, I'm not saying it helped the cause of industrialisation to have giant disasters, I am saying though that if you embark on a gigantic program of industrialisation with few experts on hand then mistakes are going to be made.

The only real way to avoid those catastrophes would be to bring in foreign advice and assistance, but for obvious reasons nobody in that time particularly wanted to assist China rising to a position where it could challenge their strength. I don't think that would have been different under Chang, and Chang would have the additional problem of having to fight against rural communist sympathies every step of the way. Comparing to India isn't great, but it's hard to think of any closer comparison.

It wasn't just a lack of experts though, it was literally that during the Great Leap Forward, for how to industrialize (and everything else), what Mao said went. Even if there weren't world beating industrial experts in China at the time, there were plenty of people there who knew what they were doing better than he did. I don't think we have much basis to say the ROC would have done much better for industrializing and modernizing than the PRC eventually did under Deng Xiaoping, but Mao was really a unique kind of awful.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fangz posted:

Okay, I get what you're saying. I do think that the mistakes made go beyond what could be explained by lack of advanced technical expertise, though. Plenty of people in China knew how to grow rice, yet they managed to gently caress that up worst of all.

Basically I just don't think Chiang would have ever had the kind of top to bottom, nationwide total social control required to gently caress up on that scale, not that he was any less of a crap dude.

Thanks to you and everyone else for all the reasonable and sensible discussion on topics that usually end in a train wreck elsewhere.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Those kinds of problems are endemic to any attempt to haul peasants into the industrial era in a generation. Stalin also starved a fuckload of people to death. The later Maoist crazy also needs to taken in the context of the power struggles that we're going on at the time. The closest analog to the cultural revolution would be stalins purges, only crowd sourced.

These problems are symptoms of using a Leninist government to bootstrap a continent spanning nation into world power status. Even if Chang avoids the sort of self inflicted wounds those movements produce he also probably doesn't unify the nation nearly as much or push the country towards an industrial footing in the same way. In short rather than what we see today you probably get something more akin to India's 20th C trajectory.

Probably better for the people who starved to death or were killed as enemies of the revolution. Probably worse for the people working in factories or white collar jobs whose grandmothers were subsistence tenant rice farmers in the provinces.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Those kinds of problems are endemic to any attempt to haul peasants into the industrial era in a generation. Stalin also starved a fuckload of people to death. The later Maoist crazy also needs to taken in the context of the power struggles that we're going on at the time. The closest analog to the cultural revolution would be stalins purges, only crowd sourced.

These problems are symptoms of using a Leninist government to bootstrap a continent spanning nation into world power status. Even if Chang avoids the sort of self inflicted wounds those movements produce he also probably doesn't unify the nation nearly as much or push the country towards an industrial footing in the same way. In short rather than what we see today you probably get something more akin to India's 20th C trajectory.

Probably better for the people who starved to death or were killed as enemies of the revolution. Probably worse for the people working in factories or white collar jobs whose grandmothers were subsistence tenant rice farmers in the provinces.

Eh, I don't see why we need to look at China and Russia and conclude based on that dataset of two that mass death is a necessary component to unification and industrialization. Like the millions of dead landlords (and "landlords") could callously be viewed as the eggs of the new China omelet, but then there's also a huge number of deaths from purely useless agricultural stupidity that did nothing at all to increase production or benefit anyone.

I can believe your prediction of the likely trajectory under Chiang vs the actual trajectory under Mao. But I prefer to interpret that as a consequence of two leaders being lovely in different ways, rather than as an unavoidable trade off between mass death and economic stagnation.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
We definitely shouldn't accept the premise that rapid industrialisation and mass death go hand in hand - because they don't - but social dislocation is definitely inevitable. Plus, both China and the USSR industrialised without wide access to the world market and in the spirit of fear of imminent external invasion and internal revolt.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

chitoryu12 posted:

I think my favorite is No. 4 where they both just start bashing each other with their helmets.

I like 3 where the guy on the right has pierced the left guy's hidden flask.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

In a modern spanish-language military context armada means navy.

And in modern Russian language Armata means a family of armoured vehicles.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

And in modern Russian language Armata means a family of armoured vehicles.

I now believe Armata shares an etymology with whatever the Russian word for Armadillo is and you can't convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Kemper Boyd posted:

A regiment was an adminstrative thing and a brigade was the actual combat formation of 2 or 3 regiments, can't remember which. Regiments would not form by themselves in battles, they would always be a part of a brigade.