Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The sound in GMDX (but not regular Deus Ex, for some reason) suddenly turned really full of static. Odd. How do I fix this?

Edit - gently caress around with the sample rate, under "Sound".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"GEP fun" was a typo but possibly the most appropriate and accurate one ever so I will let it stand unedited.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Best lockpicks in Deus Ex:
1. GEP fun
2. Dragon Tooth Sword
3. LAM
4. Sniper rifle
5. LAW
6. Actual lockpicks

Fixed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the sniper rifle is so good at everything. It opens doors. It turns off cameras. It removes almost every enemy. Ammo is reasonably acquirable the entire game. All I need is EMP 30.06 rounds or something and I could never use another weapon the entire game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xander77 posted:

GMDX is a mod that thinks soy food health regen and flashlight energy consumption need to be nerfed.

Soy still gives 5 health to me. But I'm with you on the flashlight, that's kinda dumb. You're meant to use an Aug upgrade to boost it to level 2, but what self-respecting person is going to waste an Aug upgrade on the light?

edit: It would seem to me that my opinion of GMDX is so different from other peoples because I love all the hard-mode poo poo they've added. It almost feels like a mod made for me. Dare I call it the Dark Souls of Deus Ex...?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 23, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Xander77 posted:

The sound in GMDX (but not regular Deus Ex, for some reason) suddenly turned really full of static. Odd. How do I fix this?

Edit - gently caress around with the sample rate, under "Sound".

happened to me regardless sometimes, I just restart until it went away

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Xander77 posted:

GMDX is a mod that thinks soy food health regen and flashlight energy consumption need to be nerfed.

goddammit i loathe non-biomod deus ex modders so much. SO MUCH.

just give me revision and give me my aug upgrades back on Realistic. And end the goddamned war in Syria while you're at it.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Best lockpicks in Deus Ex:
1. GEP fun
2. Dragon Tooth Sword
3. LAM
4. LAW
5. Actual lockpicks

:agreed:

Also I mostly ignore rifle skill because with Master rifle with an upgraded sniper rifle you may as well watch an LP on youtube for all the bits that aren't directly confronting military bots. Unless I'm minded to do a gimmick assault rifle build. That gun does not get enough love, I say! A silenced scoped laser accurate hitscan sewing machine with built-in grenades feels less cheesy to me than the sniper rifle single-shot left clicking my problems away even though its functionally the same thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Soy still gives 5 health to me.
As I was going through Liberty Island, I was chewing down on every candy bar and soda I could find (my teeth are augmented enough to tear through cans). At some point I got a "you're full, and can't eat any more" message. I'm currently escaping from UNATCO, and the message is still there.

In other news, characters constantly can't navigate stairways, to the point that they give up and just stand there. JoJo is never going to meet Mr Renton's new shotgun. Wonder which ending that gets for Sandra.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 23, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzyYQ7UO2hc

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Do I need both HDTP and New Vision? Or choose one?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xander77 posted:

As I was going through Liberty Island, I was chewing down on every candy bar and soda I could find (my teeth are augmented enough to tear through cans). At some point I got a "you're full, and can't eat any more" message. I'm currently escaping from UNATCO, and the message is still there.

There's a perk involved with your athletics skill that allows you to eat more.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

goddammit i loathe non-biomod deus ex modders so much. SO MUCH.

just give me revision and give me my aug upgrades back on Realistic. And end the goddamned war in Syria while you're at it.

Also change the Catacombs to not have you pixel hunt for the exit. It's already hard enough to navigate that place, why would you make it even harder?

Modders are really frustrating because they'll have 9 good ideas and 1 really terrible one and never change the terrible one because it's their "vision"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

My Athletics is augmented Advanced, and I don't feel like Mastering it for that benefit.

Meanwhile, GMDX thinks that invisible walls are so last gen.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I got into the same sort of glitch myself. I was walking around downtown and a homeless guy asked me for some money. As I was pulling a dollar out of my wallet, he said "you're a good man." I thanked him as I gave him the dollar. As I was leaning back up to resume my walk he repeated "you're a good man." I leaned toward him and gave him another dollar.
"You're a good man." Dollar. "You're a good man." Dollar.
""
-$1
""
-$1
""
-$1

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I never knew you could open doors with the sniper rifle. By like shooting at them? Crazy.

Also the best lockpick is definitely the LAW. Why open just one door when you can open all the doors at once?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

I never knew you could open doors with the sniper rifle. By like shooting at them? Crazy.

Yeah, with points in the rifle skill it starts doing enough damage to break certain doors.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm giving GMDX a shot and I might finish the playthrough but this whole "you can't do poo poo without Master-level skill" thing it's got going on is really wearing on me. Advanced Lockpicking and Electronics should be plenty for as early as the airport but I'm constantly out. I had a GEP gun but had to ditch it because there weren't any rockets, and I think I've found like three LAMs total so far, so no luck with the traditional unlocking methods either.

Here's the bit that finally made me go "no, that's just stupid":

That's the hidden brick that opens the guardhouse armory just before you go into the main airport hangar. Five loving picks and no key.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

so, what, in GMDX JC has to augment his metabolism to be able to eat? :laugh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Psion posted:

so, what, in GMDX JC has to augment his metabolism to be able to eat? :laugh:

Ironically, JC Tenton had max points in athletics.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xander77 posted:

My Athletics is augmented Advanced, and I don't feel like Mastering it for that benefit.

No, he means there is a perks tab on the skill screen that allows you to spend smaller amounts of points for extra small abilities. You must have missed it entirely.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Xander77 posted:

Publicly viewable videos are apparently also last gen.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Publicly viewable videos are apparently also last gen.
Whoops. Sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFCWHFG3Mbw

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No, he means there is a perks tab on the skill screen that allows you to spend smaller amounts of points for extra small abilities. You must have missed it entirely.
I have, in fact. It's 200 skills points at Advanced. Which does not exactly contradict my point.

Most of the perks (in keeping with the GDMX design philosophy) aren't really interesting new things that you can do, but rather additional skill point cost for things that were already a part of that skill level in the original game.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 23, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xander77 posted:

Most of the perks (in keeping with the GDMX design philosophy) aren't really interesting new things that you can do, but rather additional skill point cost for things that were already a part of that skill level in the original game.

Nobody's saying you have to like the mod, but the vast majority of perks aren't like that. You said you were advanced Athletics, that allows you to get the perk that lets you eat more.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nobody's saying you have to like the mod, but the vast majority of perks aren't like that. You said you were advanced Athletics, that allows you to get the perk that lets you eat more.
Ok, I will confess I was looking mostly at the weapon perks. They mostly grant you higher accuracy and reduce weapon sway - which, I believe, was the default as your weapon skill increased. That, and the perk that kindly allowed me to eat stuff (provided I increased my Athletics to Advanced and spent an extra 250 skill points on top of that) rather soured me on the idea.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 24, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Be less sour! We're supposed to be having fun here. Though I will admit that GMDX's punishing difficulty makes it rough to play for long stretches compared to the vanilla levels.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Be less sour! We're supposed to be having fun here. Though I will admit that GMDX's punishing difficulty makes it rough to play for long stretches compared to the vanilla levels.
I just... don't see the point. It's like someone sat down and thought "how do we make the game less fun?" If I wanted to challenge myself by not getting any healing from food items (obviously a completely overpowered ability that must be nerfed at once) I'd just learn the lessons taught to me in kindergarten and avoid eating stuff I picked up from the ground. If I wanted to acquire a total of 15 GEP rockets by the time I made it to HK, I'd just avoid picking up any rockets. If I wanted to make the flashlight consume all 100% of my bio energy in 2 minutes and 20 seconds... I'd seriously go see a mental health practitioner, because that's loving insane.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nobody's saying you have to like the mod

well, except you, kinda

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's cool that they clearly gave a lot of thread to all the parts of Deus Ex and what they're for and how they work, but it's less cool that they then said "but the parts of the game that are so you can have fun, and enjoy the game, they don't matter because this is for Advanced Users."

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Has development stalled on GDMX? v8.0 was available in December 2015, and seems to be the latest version. There are patch notes for 8.1 on moddb from 6 months ago in Feb, but it doesn't look like that version has been released yet

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

More GDMX stuff:

Medical and repair bots run out of energy after you use them twice. Oh, and they are still on a timer that's stops you from using them for a minute between the two.

Scramble grenades are effective for exactly 8 seconds.

Each time you come back to Smuggler through the main entrance, with the password, his bot resets to being hostile (the same is probably true for the alternate entrance). On the last visit, it's two hostile bots and a turret.

The MJ12 troops no longer converge on your location after you meet Stanton Dowd. Now they come after you once you've left Smuggler, and are in a bottleneck.

There's a soldier (not an MJ12 guy) facing the gate the friendly guards open at the shipyard. He started shooting at me the moment the gate opened, and died in a firefight with the friendly soldiers.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well I guess someones got to make posts to counteract my "I love GMDX" posts. It's just that I can take any game and make a list of 5 things that annoyed me and make it seem like a bad game.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm not enjoying my GMDX playthough, it's got tons of stupid poo poo like increased flashlight drain, random little gently caress-you changes, and messed up skill progression. i also keep coming across empty supply crates, which is just rude.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Well I guess someones got to make posts to counteract my "I love GMDX" posts. It's just that I can take any game and make a list of 5 things that annoyed me and make it seem like a bad game.
Have you considered that this list has a certain common denominator to it?

The denominator is "gently caress you for playing".

Edit - I don't recall this: If you go up to the shipyard roof via the crane in vanilla, and fall down the elevator shaft right after the loading screen that follows the spiderbots - are you stuck? Don't seem to remember if the original game actually allowed you to get stuck.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 24, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that GMDX fell prey to what happens often to games that are quite old but still have an enthusiastic following. Some longtime fan(s) say "This is a great game, but it has some flaws; let's fix them and then it will be a GREAT game."

By itself, that's a fine sentiment, but it runs into two problems. Firstly, fans of games are not professional artists, level designers and game theorists. Secondly, and in the case of GMDX this is probably a definite, the people who make the mod have played the game so many times that it's trivially easy for them on the hardest level unless they do some sort of metagamey challenge run like "play without firearms and your head in a bucket full of angry crabs." So, possibly without realising it, they difficultify (I'm trying to make that term catch on) a game because they are in a way making the mod for themselves and not for the average fun.

I think that in the case of GMDX and this thread it is particularly true because many of the people here are longtime fans of Deus Ex who know the game back-to-front, and yet they are still struggling with the difficulty.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's not just people who struggle, though. I've done dumb poo poo like Ironman Realistic No Sniper Rifle All Zyme throwing knives only but what I clearly see is the GMDX developers basically went all-in on making it so there's one optimal playstyle; whether this was intentional or just a consequence how they happened to amp up the difficulty, I can't say. But it means "play like SSB -> fine, play any other way -> get hosed" ...so I don't blame SSB for liking it or anything, that's what they like, it happens to mesh in with what GMDX is. No problem there.

Where it grates on me, though, is that GMDX did this to Deus Ex - a game which has such lasting appeal in no small part due to the huge number of different ways you can tackle any situation in the game. They threw that out in the name of making it "harder," which is just stupid. Removing a key element of what makes DX, well, DX? regardless of mod quality, that poo poo should be mocked, but let's also be honest that the stakes are really low. In the end, it's free, and you can easily play one of the many other mods for the game. Including Revision. :colbert:

(I didn't do throwing knives only. that is an exaggeration.)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can concede to that. GMDX happens to appeal to my exact playstyle.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Psion posted:

(I didn't do throwing knives only. that is an exaggeration.)
I can't imagine it's possible since there aren't enough knives, but it would be cool to mod infinite throwing knives and nothing else. No melee weapons, no guns, no multitools or medkits or lockpicks. You, your knives, and the level. Leave in nanokeys and datacubes and stuff, but no inventory items other than the keys.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Shifter fixes the throwing knives problem since you can toss your combat knife.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Party Plane Jones posted:

Shifter fixes the throwing knives problem since you can toss your combat knife.

Until you miss, at which point you have a new problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Until you miss, at which point you have a new problem.

use the other dozen from corpses you dropped with your first knife.