Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J
Jun 10, 2001

On day1 of a league nobody is doing the chaos vendor recipe yet so chaos orbs are only entering the economy via their natural droprate. Exalts don't have a vendor recipe so their supply remains the same throughout the league. As the bulk of the playerbase levels up and starts doing chaos recipes, that increases the supply of chaos orbs and the chaos:exalt ratio goes up. Plus demand for exalts will also go up once people start getting level 8 masters and want to start using them to craft really good stuff.

For anyone who hasn't played in a long time, it took a while for people to figure out how to fully abuse the level 8 master craft metamods, and once those tricks got let out of the bag, the demand for exalts went up dramatically. High end master metamod crafting is still pretty inaccessible for the average player, but as a whole it is far more accessible than eternal orb crafting of yesteryear. This means exalts actually get consumed to craft stuff more frequently than they used to, as opposed to purely being used as $100 bills. Once a temporary league economy has developed a bit, like 2 or so weeks in, usually you're looking at somewhere between 60-80 chaos:exalt. Towards the end of the league the ratio will usually start to fall back in line closer and closer to standard league prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
New uniques revealed, 3 of the 8 uniques you can get from killing the Guardians.

Actual source of self-ignite, extra-proj ring, and 380dps lightning hammer with 50%phys to lightning conversion.

e: VVVVVVVVVVVVVV I forgot to multiply it by attack speed cause I'm a dummy, but even with that it looks like it'd be below 400 base pdps?

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 23, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

New uniques revealed, 3 of the 8 uniques you can get from killing the Guardians.

Actual source of self-ignite, extra-proj ring, and 300dps lightning hammer with 50%phys to lightning conversion.

The hammer's about 450 dps. If that's typical it's Doomsower but eh.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like that ring. Is freezing pulse still good or did it get completely overtaken

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ButtWolf posted:

I like that ring. Is freezing pulse still good or did it get completely overtaken

It's still plenty good, it just faded in popularity with newer skills

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

ButtWolf posted:

Yeah, FP is the first thing I thought of with that ring. Might be good for a pyre ice spear elementalist, too?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like if you can beat the guardians, your gear will definitely already be better than those uniques. Kinda defeats the purpose. I'd rather a lower drop rate and higher power level.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mince Pieface posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like if you can beat the guardians, your gear will definitely already be better than those uniques. Kinda defeats the purpose. I'd rather a lower drop rate and higher power level.

... what? those uniques do things that no other item in the game does, lol. reach of the council was a huge mistake and I'm glad they haven't made a second one yet

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

killstealing posted:

... what? those uniques do things that no other item in the game does, lol. reach of the council was a huge mistake and I'm glad they haven't made a second one yet

Snakepit at least I pretty much agree with. It's decent design with a useful effect at a decent opportunity cost, but can potentially compete by providing something you can't normally get from your ring slot. Brain Rattler's unique effect isn't that interesting and it's DPS is low enough that if you get to the fight you likely don't want the weapon. Weapon DPS is such a limiting factor for any weapon build, and I don't see the slow effect as being worthwhile over Atziri's Disfavor or a good rare. The Eye of Innocence just seems kind of dumb, yay you get 50some % damage if you jump though a bunch of hoops. A halfway decent rare probably gives you more damage without any hoops. Maybe if there is some way of breaking the 100 fire damage taken on ignite that I'm missing it could be cool?

I'm not asking for Reach of the Council level items, but for fights that are going to require probably multiple exalts of gear going in from the videos they showed, you should have the potential for getting something better than you started with. The Uber Atziri fight is in a good place in terms of risk vs reward I think.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Eye of Innocence is also 2% fire leech which is pretty drat good for some builds and can be hard to get.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wouldn't compare t16 map boss loot to loot from a zone that requires a key set worth around 2ex + a specialized build

The bull dude doesn't look so bad, can prolly kite him pretty easy. The bosses look more mechanics heavy than overtuned in stats tbh.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mince Pieface posted:

Maybe if there is some way of breaking the 100 fire damage taken on ignite that I'm missing it could be cool?

It's pretty much a Scold's that's not a league item. Perma-Immortal Call for Oro's builds and a lot of fire-based spell builds. (e: Oh lmao they changed the cooldown for IC from 0.5 seconds to 3 seconds like a year ago. Oh well, still a lot of applications for cwdt activating atleast once a second)

Brain Rattler's also the only way to get 100% phys to lightning conversion I think? Not sure if there's even any ways to get 100 phys to elemental conversion without mediocre uniques or avatar of fire, for that matter.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 23, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If you're talking 100% phys->ele conversion strictly through items your options are dual-wield or mix-and-match Brain Rattler/Moonbender's Wing (25%/25% cold/lightning) or use a Goddess Scorned :v:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 23, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Eye of Purity also looks like it should be paired with a Mokou's Embrace for a ton of cast and attack (whirling blades) speed.

Brain Rattler, Physical to Lightning support, Static Strike, Lightning Strike, are all sources of 50% physical to lightning conversion. The problem is, such setups quickly become very gem link hungry.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Mince Pieface posted:

Maybe if there is some way of breaking the 100 fire damage taken on ignite that I'm missing it could be cool?

The amulet synergizes incredibly, incredibly well with Mokou's Embrace, of which you can wear two. This will give you a whopping 40% attack and cast speed, over 100% fire damage, 2% fire leech, and a sizable amount of resistances (potentially 140%) from your jewelry alone. The only downside is the lack of life (or ES), which can be made up for in other slots.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 23, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
100% physical to ice can be done I think.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

panda clue posted:

The amulet synergizes incredibly, incredibly well with Mokou's Embrace, of which you can wear two. This will give you a whopping 40% attack and cast speed, over 100% fire damage, 2% fire leech, and a sizable amount of resistances (potentially 140%) from your jewelry alone. The only downside is the lack of life (or ES), which can be made up for in other slots.

You can't really make up for life lost in slots like you can resistances though. I wouldn't make a HC character with that in mind, though those bonuses are so loving large it'll be a great basis for a SC character, which is what most people here play anyway.

Bonus:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
drat, I was already planning a trickster freeze pulse build but I'm going to use Doryanis Fist and a call of the brotherhood, I'd lose my second ring slot if I used a Snakepit as well.

I was also planning on doing a Hyaons Lightning Strike Raider... I wonder if that hammer will be more DPS for a pure lightning build instead without the increased damage taken drawback of Hyaons, since you can still take physical mace and 2h nodes

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I want all of those uniques.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Dual Snakepit + Sire of Shards + Rolling Flames + Cluster Trap + GMP. Or lightning trap.:q:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Realistically though I think that Eye of Innocence might well have a use in my planned Guardian Burning Vortex build which is pretty desperate for ignite change.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Eye of Innocence question: if I'm dealing myself the 100 fire damage on hit, I assume the game is using my chance to ignite to determine if it ignites me or not?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mystery Prize posted:

Eye of Innocence question: if I'm dealing myself the 100 fire damage on hit, I assume the game is using my chance to ignite to determine if it ignites me or not?

You have to use Cloak of Flame and Mokou's to ignite yourself I believe.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

gonadic io posted:

Dual Snakepit + Sire of Shards + Rolling Flames + Cluster Trap + GMP. Or lightning trap.:q:

My stupid idea was Snakepit 2x, Sire of Shards, LMP, GMP, Endless Munitions (Deadeye) Raise Spectre Flame Sentinel. I think each one would spit out 16 fireballs at once.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Kild posted:

You have to use Cloak of Flame and Mokou's to ignite yourself I believe.

I guess I can see the Mokou's; I just assumed that because Eye of Innocence is directly causing 100 fire damage to me instead of reflecting it (which I know can't cause status ailments) that it would use my ignite chance.

Why would you need Cloak of Flame, though? All that does is for ignites is extend their duration quite a bit.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mystery Prize posted:

I guess I can see the Mokou's; I just assumed that because Eye of Innocence is directly causing 100 fire damage to me instead of reflecting it (which I know can't cause status ailments) that it would use my ignite chance.

Why would you need Cloak of Flame, though? All that does is for ignites is extend their duration quite a bit.

Oh woops, I thought it had a chance to be ignited. Still you can get ignited off being hit with it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
The amulet has a lot of potential, but you still have to ignite a dude to get started, which can be a pain with certain map mods or monsters who are immune to ignite overall. The ring looks cool, but also looks like its way too high level req to be too fun. The mace seems interesting, but probably not strong in practice.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Kild posted:

Oh woops, I thought it had a chance to be ignited. Still you can get ignited off being hit with it.

Its been used in combo with scolds to self-ignite.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Snakepit looks quite good. Especially with something that doesn't want to loose damage to lmp/gmp but can really use a boost in aoe like ball lightning or magma orb.

Still need to get 2 more challenges to get to 24, then its time to get a few more fated uniques done.

No clue what I want to play for essence yet.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cant wait to join a big boy league. I have no idea what to play, all ive played is GS/EQ, a summonerfirestorm and FP

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
So after having successfully done a Reach Tshot guy this league, I'm trying to figure out something actually quirky but still strong to start out with. I've seen some videos of Bladefall totems, is that alright for a first character in a fresh league or will it take some actual gear to smooth out?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Pending a massive rebalance bladefall anything is a safe bet.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

Very much so. During talisman I had to repec into totems because I was killing my self with physical reflect on self cast bladefall.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

funmanguy posted:

Its been used in combo with scolds to self-ignite.

Do you think the amulet would allow self-ignite without any other combo pieces as long as I have some ignite chance? I'd have 30% with Oro's and the amulet.

Vasudus posted:

Bladefall needs a serious nerf, it's way too good right now.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Mystery Prize posted:

Bladefall needs a serious nerf, it's way too good right now.

Same, but EQ, discharge, ED...

I don't get why people keep calling for random poo poo that happens to be good to be nerfed. If anything, they should buff the stuff that is not so good. Stuff being good in a monster-meat-grinder simulator is not a problem.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Generally its easier to nerf a small number of things than to buff a large number of things. Also I don't think discharge or ED are out of line with other skills. Discharge is big because of coc not so much the skill itself, and coc should be seeing a rebalance this patch anyways.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

panda clue posted:

Same, but EQ, discharge, ED...

I don't get why people keep calling for random poo poo that happens to be good to be nerfed. If anything, they should buff the stuff that is not so good. Stuff being good in a monster-meat-grinder simulator is not a problem.

because then you get to 100 faster and man this game is super casual cause diablo 3 requires more effort and ....... :yikes: :psyduck:

I'll probably do EA to start since it's a good first build. Been meaning to do it. Did ascendancy make it even better?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I usually prefer things to be buffed up to a level rather than nerfed down to the lowest common denominator, but that does run the risk of power creep and making the game pretty unsatisfying. Characters are stronger than they have ever been thanks to the Ascendancies. Yes, it's a monster meatgrinder, and yes, not all builds are going to be equal in power and nor should they, but there should at least be interesting things that different skills can bring, rather than stuff like EQ rendering almost all physical melee skills moot.

I love the huge amount of crazy poo poo you can do in PoE, it makes it one of my favorite games, and I hope their design philosophy includes ways to continue making crazy poo poo viable*.

It is possible to make things too easy and remove the enjoyment from it. Once D3 (sorry) started giving people a free set at the start of seasons, there was very little engagement with gearing up and climbing in content, at least for me. I don't think PoE is in danger of falling into that trap, but I'd still like to see some balance passes. (Vortex completely rending Ice Nova pointless is another good example.)

*except elemental hit, because gently caress that

panda clue
May 23, 2014

voltron lion force posted:

Generally its easier to nerf a small number of things than to buff a large number of things. Also I don't think discharge or ED are out of line with other skills. Discharge is big because of coc not so much the skill itself, and coc should be seeing a rebalance this patch anyways.

Self-cast discharge is obscenely good when combined with juggernaut endurance charge generation. You're right though, that's not a Discharge problem I suppose.

I do think they're going to nerf that jugg talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Speaking of nerf. Do we know what they're doing to CoC because chris said it would be getting some love. Or do we just wait till patch notes?

• Locked thread