Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Alan Smithee posted:

:smugbert:
Checkmate poser. Your ratio may be better but I cast a wider net

Your net may be wider, but my fish is smaller.

Wait...

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ferroque posted:

It really bothers me how the stats and combat work in this game compared to the main series. Watering down type advantages and immunities really homogenizes the game, to the point where type advantage barely even matters. Gengar should be able to wall a tackle/horn attack Tauros. Why even run a Gengar if he doesn't have normal immunity?

It also bothers me how there is no distinction between physical and special moves. If the physical/special split is too hard/confusing for players of this game just go back to tying physical/special to typing like it was in gen 1. The way it stands right now is just too shallow.

While I think they do need to increase the type advantage multiplier (it doesn't have to be x2 but X1.5 would be nice at least) adding immunities would just confuse and frustrate new players and many would assume the game was broken. It would also make certain matchups trivially easy since you could just cheese the AI over and over again if your attacker is immune to the gym defenders attacks. Also I don't think the physical special split would be necessary at all and would actually screw over a lot of Pokemon like flareon and gyarados, especially when you factor in non-changeable moves.

Anyway the changes I want are:
1) ability to change moves
2) no more IVs, Pokemon at the same level should have the same stats (I know this is never going to happen).
3) increase the type advantage multiplier.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BrianBoitano posted:

Also there's a report of nests swapping again. Here's a list of which nests have become which. As another ~report from reddit~ it has a 0% chance of being a bunch of bullshit: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4z4ar5/nest_migration_2/

loving CHILD MOLESTORS OF REDDIT

locat sub confirmed it was true. Then again it was on reddit. But you're on reddit, and i'm on reddit so we all touch kids

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

seiferguy posted:

I'm not sure what's more disappointing, having rare candy or not having rare candy

I'm coding an app on github to figure out this vexing equation

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Your net may be wider, but my fish is smaller.

Wait...

:saddowns:

My 100 IV karp is 90 cp. I'm not sure if I should even risk sullying him with twister by evolving or just hold on to him and trade as a novelty

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hoard all your candy nothing ever evolves high enough with the right moves just post smug screenshots of your 400 abra candies.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I'm not sure what's more disappointing, having a rare pokemon run away, or catching a rare pokemon and finding out it's IVs are like 10%.

2000 cp lapras with 0/0/0 is still better than a 1500 cp lapras with 15/15/15 when you have no candy to feed it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Licarn posted:

lol, cheater psyops at work.

I'm sure a lot of "normies" have stopped playing because one guy hit the daily XP limit after spending 13 hours egged up and doing a circuit around 10 perma-lured stops. And he only got soft-banned, which also happens if you drive too fast.

Definitely a bigger problem than the botters camping every gym with 2000 CP Dragonites.

:rolleyes:

Not a cheater, just a dude who quit playing at level 15 because they were so focused on breaking/banning cheaters that they left capture rates broken for almost a month. That was a WAY, WAY bigger problem than a bunch of dudes running around with 2000 CP dragonites camping gyms.

My gripe is that it's been weeks and weeks and weeks of this, the cheater population has been drastically reduced, so why are development cycles still focused this heavily on dealing with cheaters instead of focusing on improving the game? Tracking still isn't available everywhere and they've yet to implement any expansion on the (by their own admission) extremely incomplete feature set. At this point they're just trying to re-implement stuff they removed in their quest against fun.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Seriously, what kind of planet are you on where botting isn't a massive issue to the casual player? New features like functional tracking are important, but getting rid of cheaters is a huge priority. GPS spoofers got caught along with the more egregious stuff. Cry me a river.

Gym battles are a small part of the existing game and the measures to "fix" gym battles have come at the expense of fixing bugged game features and improving core gameplay mechanics. When they were scrambling to break pokevision when I still couldn't catch 90cp pidgies effectively it didn't send a good message to me about what direction this game was going in terms of how it was being maintained.

edit: I mean, to me, going after the cheaters over gym mechanics while basic capture mechanics were still broken was putting the cart way before the horse. At the point capture rates broke most people were still building their stables. I'd barely hosed around with gyms at all and the only people I knew who were messing with them were the ones who were really, really serious into the game. While there was a lot of loud bitching from that camp I didn't personally know anyone who quit the game over any 2000 cp dragonites. :shrug: Sure, they've fixed it now, but we're at the point where we need content updates to maintain the game's health and we're not getting those because they're still trying to deal with the cheating problem (which isn't so much of a problem as an annoyance at this point) (edit2: And yes, I know, 'Just because they have developers working on one thing doesn't mean...' is technically true and would have been an appropriate thing to say three weeks ago but it's pretty clear now that they have a very small group of developers who really can do only one thing at a time)

Gyms were already loaded with 1200-1500CP+ monsters within a week of the game coming out and until they start tiering/instancing gyms by trainer level they'll always be inaccessible to casual players. If they really cared about dealing with the maxed out trainers with maxed out pokes they would be working on a system to gate gyms so they were actually accessible to players starting out down the road or who invest less time into the game overall.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 23, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am really liking how my lucky egg-hatched Totoro plays. Great IVs, 1977 CP, lick/hyper beam. It's really funny to see him lick things and dodge so quickly. He dodges almost as fast as Jolteon does! Reminds me of Rufus from SF4. :3:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mirthless posted:

:rolleyes:

Not a cheater, just a dude who quit playing at level 15 because they were so focused on breaking/banning cheaters that they left capture rates broken for almost a month. That was a WAY, WAY bigger problem than a bunch of dudes running around with 2000 CP dragonites camping gyms.

My gripe is that it's been weeks and weeks and weeks of this, the cheater population has been drastically reduced, so why are development cycles still focused this heavily on dealing with cheaters instead of focusing on improving the game? Tracking still isn't available everywhere and they've yet to implement any expansion on the (by their own admission) extremely incomplete feature set. At this point they're just trying to re-implement stuff they removed in their quest against fun.

Gym battles are a small part of the existing game and the measures to "fix" gym battles have come at the expense of fixing bugged game features and improving core gameplay mechanics. When they were scrambling to break pokevision when I still couldn't catch 90cp pidgies effectively it didn't send a good message to me about what direction this game was going in terms of how it was being maintained.

edit: I mean, to me, going after the cheaters over gym mechanics while basic capture mechanics were still broken was putting the cart way before the horse. At the point capture rates broke most people were still building their stables. I'd barely hosed around with gyms at all and the only people I knew who were messing with them were the ones who were really, really serious into the game. While there was a lot of loud bitching from that camp I didn't personally know anyone who quit the game over any 2000 cp dragonites. :shrug: Sure, they've fixed it now, but we're at the point where we need content updates to maintain the game's health and we're not getting those because they're still trying to deal with the cheating problem (which isn't so much of a problem as an annoyance at this point)

Lol, you're really dumb. A company can do more than 1 thing at once effectively, which is good, because working on the game and banning cheaters are both important.

By the way, great/excellent throws were broken for about a week, not "almost a month".

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Julio Cruz posted:

They need to do something about multiple accounts on a single device, cause I guarantee there are already people who are farming rare pokes by catching one on all 10 of their accounts whenever it pops up, ready for when trading goes live.

Why wouldn't they just catch those rare pokes on one account so they don't need to trade?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zo posted:

Lol, you're really dumb. A company can do more than 1 thing at once effectively, which is good, because working on the game and banning cheaters are both important.

I agree, if the company is willing to spend the resources to hire more than one team of developers to do tasks, but it's pretty clear that they haven't done that since they're still working on rolling out the first and only minor feature addition to the game (one which was briefly in the game at launch, no less)

If they were compartmentalizing development you would be seeing progress in more than one area at a time, rather than a scenario like the one we are witnessing where it seems new measures to block cheaters seem to be actively slowing down the tracking rollout. If they can't get a feature like the tracking to work (again, after it was already previously working) with the resources they have now I don't see what makes you think they are actively developing content behind the scenes right now

quote:

By the way, great/excellent throws were broken for about a week, not "almost a month".

It was just shy of three weeks. It was something like ten days between them breaking the capture rates and them acknowledging they actually broke the capture rates and another week before they fixed them.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zo posted:

I never even noticed that throws were broken because I followed this foolproof

Guide:

1. Your number one focus should be: "You have the greatest chance of capturing the Pokémon while the colored ring is at its smallest diameter. At the opportune moment, fling the Poké Ball toward the Pokémon." (Source)
2. Always use a curveball when throwing, because it probably helps a little. However, if you're absolutely sure that not throwing a curveball will result in an "Excellent!" throw on your part, then just lob the ball. But lob the ball when the colored ring is small!
3. Use berries on stuff you want.
4. Use good pokeballs on stuff you want, especially if it changes the color of the colored ring.

But what about "Great!" and "Nice!" throws?

"Great!" and "Nice!" throws give you extra XP and they do improve your chances of catching a pokemon. For example, getting a "Great!" throw while the colored ring is at 30% size (i.e. small) is better than getting a regular throw while the colored ring is at 30% size. However, getting a "Great!" while the colored ring is at 80% size (i.e. large) is worse than getting a regular throw while the colored ring is small.

What's nice about a "Nice!" throw?

Nice throws occur when you hit inside the colored ring, but away from the center of the pokemon. If the colored ring has shrunk enough (less than 50% of max size), it's impossible to get Nice! throws because areas farther away from the center of the pokemon are no longer inside the colored ring.

The benefits of the Nice! throw bonus don't outweigh the penalties of throwing when the colored ring is large. In other words, there's nothing nice about a Nice! throw. Throwing Nice! throws is a recipe for your pokemon breaking out of the ball and running away.

But what about multipliers, and base catch or flee rates, and stuff I read on reddit?

That's all extrapolated using client side info, usually only working under the assumption that the colored circle only plays a role in determining when you can hit with a Nice! throw or Great! throw -- not that the size of the colored ring itself is the major determining factor. In other words, it loses the forest from the trees.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The guide thing is pretty unfunny at this point right?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mirthless posted:

I agree, if the company is willing to spend the resources to hire more than one team of developers to do tasks, but it's pretty clear that they haven't done that since they're still working on rolling out the first and only minor feature addition to the game (one which was briefly in the game at launch, no less)

If they were compartmentalizing development you would be seeing progress in more than one area at a time, rather than a scenario like the one we are witnessing where it seems new measures to block cheaters seem to be actively slowing down the tracking rollout

It was just shy of three weeks. It was something like ten days between them breaking the capture rates and them acknowledging they actually broke the capture rates and another week before they fixed them.

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man. Seriously, you have no actual knowledge if banning cheaters is slowing down their development. And we are seeing progress. Servers have been stabilized despite launching in like 30 more countries. A few balance patches went out. New tracker getting tested, and there might be bugs which would account for the slow rollout. That's the point of a test. IV checker already being rolled out.

And you're wrong on the capture rate bug as well. I don't know why you're trying to make this dumb claim the hill you die on when the dates are easy to find. Patch 0.31.0 broke it and came out on july 30. Patch 0.33.0 fixed it and came out on august 8. Maybe you had a stroke in that period??

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

No Safe Word posted:

The guide thing is pretty unfunny at this point right?

No jokes here, friend. Just want you to "catch! Them all!"

:cheers:

-GoGoGadgetChris

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Mirthless posted:

If they were compartmentalizing development you would be seeing progress in more than one area at a time, rather than a scenario like the one we are witnessing where it seems new measures to block cheaters seem to be actively slowing down the tracking rollout. If they can't get a feature like the tracking to work (again, after it was already previously working) with the resources they have now I don't see what makes you think they are actively developing content behind the scenes right now

The game was released in the US on July 6, a little over a month and a half ago. Exactly how easy do you think it is to hire and train a team of developers to work on this thing that unexpectedly blew up? Things aren't perfect but they are slowly improving, so I recommend chilling the gently caress out over the minutia behind a mobile game's updates.

I like that I'm able to consistently log in. I like that the ghost of pokemons lingering around was fixed. I like that some of the dickholes breaking gym battling by botting were banned, because that makes the game pretty unfair... And some people do care about gym battles - maybe it's not an important part of your play style, but it's certainly important to me because I want to be the very best, etc. e: and IMO it's more important that the vast majority of people can play the game rather than a select few with the lovely footprint tracking system that wasn't exactly working as intended.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Zo posted:

Seriously, you have no actual knowledge if banning cheaters is slowing down their development.
I suspect it's probably not, from what I read it looks like they made another change to the encrypted part of the network traffic. It's probably a lot easier for them to make minor changes to that than it is to reverse engineer it. Which apparently still wasn't perfect since bots have been getting banned regularly, even when trying to act as human as possible.

Mostly, I wish they'd do something for those of us living in the middle of nowhere. Increased/more varied spawns and the ability to suggest Pokestop locations would be nice. Or get the wristband released - there are no Pokestops near where I live, and 2 near work but far enough away that I can only walk over before and after work. But there are a lot along a road I drive down on the way home, so pushing the button a few times per commute would be useful.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've seen some surprising Pokemon pop up in the sightings list in the past two hours. Man, I could really use that new Nearby feature right now. How far is the range on that BTW?

TVs Ian posted:

I suspect it's probably not, from what I read it looks like they made another change to the encrypted part of the network traffic. It's probably a lot easier for them to make minor changes to that than it is to reverse engineer it. Which apparently still wasn't perfect since bots have been getting banned regularly, even when trying to act as human as possible.

They apparently added CAPTCHAs in the past 24 hours which will definitely slow them down if the detection is on point.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 23, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BrianBoitano posted:

Also there's a report of nests swapping again. Here's a list of which nests have become which. As another ~report from reddit~ it has a 0% chance of being a bunch of bullshit: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4z4ar5/nest_migration_2/

I work next to what was first a Tauros nest on launch, which became a Magmar nest on the first swap, and now appears to be a Magikarp nest. From my perspective, this list is looking to be accurate so far.

Siets fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 23, 2016

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

God drat it, I was going to go to an onix next for my lunch break and I still don't have one. Using a scanner it looks like there are no more onix there.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Man i evolved a 97% amd 93% into tentacruel and both have loving sludge bomb

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Is the update out yet? Google play store is still showing 0.33.0 for me

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

Frown Town posted:

unexpectedly blew up

This Pokemon game that was heavily marketed and had people anticipating it for months before release was a very unexpected success

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

funky not a junkie posted:

This Pokemon game that was heavily marketed and had people anticipating it for months before release was a very unexpected success

Are you trying to be sarcastic? The answer is a fervent "yes". There's no way they were expecting to hit the "not a male between 13 and 30" demographic so hard.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Seriously, what kind of planet are you on where botting isn't a massive issue to the casual player? New features like functional tracking are important, but getting rid of cheaters is a huge priority. GPS spoofers got caught along with the more egregious stuff. Cry me a river.

Most of my friends played the game solely for the collecting aspect. One of them is level 12 and still hasn't picked a team because they've never set foot in a gym. I've only fought like 10 gym battles myself. I evolved Jolteon first because it's my favorite first-gen Eeveelution. For people like us, the broken tracking system rendered the app completely useless.

You're crazy if you think everyone who plays this game is hitting the streets every night to bust up gyms.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ And yeah, we just need a bit more incentive for gyms in general.

I kinda feel like training at a friendly gym should reward stardust. It makes sense logically since stardust is what literally makes your 'mon stronger and he's there training.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The pokemon gods have not smiled upon me.

My desk at work. Just a few more...meters either way and I wouldn't have to leave the building to get to everything. Goddammit.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
How do lures work? What is their range? Can I sit near the pokestop or do I have to walk around it like a lunatic?

How about incense? Can I be idle or it only works while moving?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are you trying to be sarcastic? The answer is a fervent "yes". There's no way they were expecting to hit the "not a male between 13 and 30" demographic so hard.

I am not a male but I love Pokemon.

I dont know if you heard but girls play video games too. :j:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

funky not a junkie posted:

Huh? What marketing did this game even receive? It almost came out of nowhere. Nintendo showed it off at E3, there was no hype for the game

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Do these mass rollouts of spawn changes only affect certain regions or certain pokémon? I'm in the UK and round my house it's pidgies, weedles and caterpies just like it was a week before the game officially launched here. Likewise at work it's drowsies, zubats and pidgies same as it ever was.

edit: Every day at work. I think the game is trying to tell me something about my cow orkers.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 23, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Violet_Sky posted:

I am not a male but I love Pokemon.

I dont know if you heard but girls play video games too. :j:

If I implied that girls don't play video games, it was unintentional.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Do these mass rollouts of spawn changes only affect certain regions or certain pokémon? I'm in the UK and round my house it's pidgies, weedles and caterpies just like it was a week before the game officially launched here. Likewise at work it's drowsies, zubats and pidgies same as it ever was.

The only thing that shuffled is actual Nests, which are a different thing than recurring spawns.

Nests involve like 2-5 of one Pokemon that spawn in a very tight cluster. People have also found that nest-spawned Pokemon have reeeeally low IVs on average, so there seems to be some kind of actual game mechanic that separates nests from spawns.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If I implied that girls don't play video games, it was unintentional.

It wasnt directed at you just the "13-30 male demographic" bit.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Mr. Jive posted:

You're crazy if you think everyone who plays this game is hitting the streets every night to bust up gyms.

And youre an idiot as nobody was making that claim.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The only thing that shuffled is actual Nests, which are a different thing than recurring spawns.

Nests involve like 2-5 of one Pokemon that spawn in a very tight cluster. People have also found that nest-spawned Pokemon have reeeeally low IVs on average, so there seems to be some kind of actual game mechanic that separates nests from spawns.

I've never seen or heard about one of these where I live so it's Pidgeys and Zubats all the way.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Violet_Sky posted:

It wasnt directed at you just the "13-30 male demographic" bit.

It's pretty fair to say that traditionally videogames have hit this demographic really hard, but this is increasingly untrue + is definitely not true for mobile games.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cartouche posted:

And youre an idiot as nobody was making that claim.

I don't want to speak for another poster but I believe the point of the statement was to illustrate that gym battles are a relatively minor part of the game to many people, given that they're a competitive aspect that is really only open to serious players right now because of the way gyms (aren't) gated

Cheating at gyms wasn't that big of a deal because it's called Pokemon Go, not Pokemon Stadium, and the primary focus of the game is collecting pokemon, not battling at gyms. When one feature of the game is uncompetitive but the main focus of the game is broken altogether it seems odd to fix the feature over the focus

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mirthless posted:

Cheating at gyms wasn't that big of a deal because it's called Pokemon Go, not Pokemon Stadium, and the primary focus of the game is collecting pokemon, not battling at gyms. When one feature of the game is uncompetitive but the main focus of the game is broken altogether it seems odd to fix the feature over the focus

Let's give credit where it's due; it's pretty impressive that Niantic made a Pokemon game where both collecting Pokemon and battling them are more hosed up than a 20 year old Game Boy game

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Mirthless posted:

I don't want to speak for another poster but I believe the point of the statement was to illustrate that gym battles are a relatively minor part of the game to many people, given that they're a competitive aspect that is really only open to serious players right now because of the way gyms (aren't) gated

You dont want to speak for the other poster, but are comfortable making claims about what "many people" think. Gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If i wanted to play a real pokemon game now what are the best ones? Last i played was silver

• Locked thread