Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
No mention of Kira and his shikai?

Also, Aizens bankai would just be genjutsu I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

was kira's the one that made things heavy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

was kira's the one that made things heavy

it made people heavy until they couldn't stop prevent their body weight from slowly decapitating them on his sword. his sword was specifically shaped for that purpose, too!

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
A sword with an intuitive and intentional design unlike my sword is a constantly breaking staff or my sword is a giant samurai that shares a central nervous system.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really give a poo poo about kira. i don't think anyone but long-dead yaoi fanfic communities ever did. but still, his sword is rad as heck.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kira was great because of all the death note jokes you could make.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Kira was great because his last appearance was as a cyborg zombie about to take on the Flamingo Menace.

How many other people can have such an amazing sentence attributed to them?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So many characters, left to such weird fates.

Komamura, is doge.

Yoruichi, is catte.

Kira, is zombie with pipes for organs.

Halibel, is still waiting behind curtain, forlorn.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Where'd Kon go?

What is Kon doing 10 years later?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
After getting his rocking body annihilated by the status quo of the soul society, Kon decided to expand his horizons and visit unseen parts of the world. That was where he met Don Kanonji. Well, I suppose they just call him the king of hell.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Voted Worst Mom posted:

After getting his rocking body annihilated by the status quo of the soul society, Kon decided to expand his horizons and visit unseen parts of the world. That was where he met Don Kanonji. Well, I suppose they just call him the king of hell.

Kon...
Don Kanonji....
Kon Danonji....!!!!!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I really liked Gin's shikai and his bankai, actually. Just hitting people incredibly fast from far away was cool, but being able to leave a bit of the sword inside them to explode and kill anyone who wasn't Aizen? Beautiful!

I loved Gin though. Best character not named Rukia. Whose shikai/bankai combination I also really liked, and I'm glad she got to do cool things with them and kill characters it shouldn't have been possible to kill. The chapter where she killed the brain-in-a-jar Espada was one of the cooler moments, as she got to show how she'd developed her powers since Kaien-dono had died and it offered...maybe not closure, but something to her arc.

Also they were really pretty.

lezard_valeth posted:

[Ishida's] whole plan was to plant a bomb at the enemy base, which included a guy who could regenerate from multiple parts, a guy who could change the lethal dose of concepts, a guy who got stronger the more you kill him, a guy who can revert all damage back, a chicken god, and god.

Ishida's plan is right up there with FFVIII Rinoa's "Let's trick the witch into putting an anti witch bracelet" for most retarded plans ever.

Hey woah slow down there sonny.

If her plan succeeded she might actually have solved the problem, instead of making everything worse.

lezard_valeth posted:

To simplify things,

In Bleach absolutely nobody did anything worthwhile with the exception of Urahara and Ryuken.

Ichigo saved Rukia from execution and since Rukia is the best character, that's something worthwhile.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Agh, man, even when I liked bleach I thought soifon had a loving stupid Bankai. Like, ha ha the fast stealthy ninja has a big dumb bazooka Bankai and she hates it a lot, I get it, but come on you spend all this time harping about how the Zanpakuto is literally just "a Persona but a Sword" why would her Bankai ever be something she hates so much :argh:

It was the giant dildo she planned to use on Yoruichi when they got married.

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Instead of an avatar cert I would like a drawing of Hisagi and his bankai since Kubo let me down.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JohnnyCocksville posted:

Instead of an avatar cert I would like a drawing of Hisagi and his bankai since Kubo let me down.

Two shovels, meant to dig graves for his opponents once his totally powerful scythes have reaped their lives.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like Kubo, I do not draw backgrounds.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The only bankai I actually want to know is Ichigo's.

Seriously I can't believe we never even found out what the MC's new special move was supposed to be.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I always thought Tensa Zangetsu was really cool until it was rendered completely loving meaningless immediately after Ichigo beat Byakuya. Seriously, how many times does anyone even comment on Ichigo's speed after that?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That was "explained" by Ichigo's power being limited by his badge, but the Quincy arc rolled around and nope it was because that wasn't his real Bankai!!!

May as well repost this so all of the people who just came in to laugh at Bleach's corpse and don't actually know how dumb this poo poo got can see.

Incidentally the answer to that last question is that Ichigo became a completely useless chump.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Remember how byakuya had a final form of his bankai which he never used again?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I always thought Tensa Zangetsu was really cool until it was rendered completely loving meaningless immediately after Ichigo beat Byakuya. Seriously, how many times does anyone even comment on Ichigo's speed after that?

he's really fast except everyone can keep up with him

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kild posted:

he's really fast except everyone can keep up with him

Exactly. It would have been really neat to have a shounen protagonist who was a bit more specialized than your usual "jack of all trades whose signature move is a big blast of their favorite color," but no Ichigo relied on his speed for exactly one fight and then it's just back on the eternal shounen treadmill.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
I almost forgot his bankai did anything else besides "makes sword smaller".

And considering Soi Fon, if Kubo had kept "Your caster level is too low to penetrate my spell resistance!" Kenpachi-exclusive, being able to kill anyone with two hits sounds a lot more appealing.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. She also fell into the same trap as Mayuri in that both were obviously designed to be villains. Mayuri was apparently whacky enougv to stay afterwards, while Soi Fon is dead weight. Just like her bankai.

(Oh, and my favorite shikai and bankai go to Byakuya, Gin and Tousen.)

Doresh fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 23, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was skimming through the various arcs last night and found a conversation between Mayuri and Yamamoto where Mayuri said he killed 28,000 ghost citizens to keep the balance of souls. Remember when soul balancing was a thing?

Also the start of the quincy arc has some bright spots like hueco mundo and the remaining areancar looking like they'll matter, but man was it stupid to basically lead with saying every named quincy is like 100 Aizens.

And I'm still mad that we didn't get any conclusion on hueco mundo.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

I'd like to say tl;dr but I did read, and my question is why

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

BlitzBlast posted:

That was "explained" by Ichigo's power being limited by his badge, but the Quincy arc rolled around and nope it was because that wasn't his real Bankai!!!

May as well repost this so all of the people who just came in to laugh at Bleach's corpse and don't actually know how dumb this poo poo got can see.

Incidentally the answer to that last question is that Ichigo became a completely useless chump.

I'm not even gonna bother editing the image.

Sharon is the audience, Kubo is Leo Dicaprio

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
The dichotomy between the massive clusterfuck that is Ichigo's power set origin and what said power set is actually capable of doing will never not be funny. It's like doing some arcane bullshit in a JRPG to get an item that isn't all that great to begin with.

Ichigo is the Golden Chocobo of manga, except I think the Golden Chocobo actually does something.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 23, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spiritus Nox posted:

Exactly. It would have been really neat to have a shounen protagonist who was a bit more specialized than your usual "jack of all trades whose signature move is a big blast of their favorite color," but no Ichigo relied on his speed for exactly one fight and then it's just back on the eternal shounen treadmill.

Funnily enough, Kubo actually remembered Ichigo was supposed to be fast when he fought Quilge, the Quincy jailor guy who was trolling the hollows in HM. The whole battle after Ichigo released bankai was Quilge getting owned and constantly screaming about how fast Ichigo was. By that point though I had forgotten Ichigo was supposed to be faster than normal in his bankai because it hadn't been brought up for so long, and it felt really jarring. :v:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I also like how early Bleach took the time to establish that in order to do Ghost stuff, Ichigo had to exit his physical body and introduced Kon and the concept of Mod Souls as a surrogate to take care of his body.

I think everyone who has ever read Bleach at one point thought "they are probably establishing this so that eventually a villain decides that if he can't beat Ichigo at sword fighting he will just go and target his physical body".

Guess what? That went to the pile of "stuff that amounted to nothing" of Bleach. Except it's a mountain instead of a pile.

In fact, I can't even remember but said distinction between physical and ghost apparently stopped mattering after the Fullbringer arc, and Ichigo never exited his body for the whole Quincy arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if ichigo was unarmed, then him being very fast would be acceptable. however, the problem with super speed + a sword became very obvious during the first time he used it. that is, why the heck can't he just cut a guy instead of zipping around bragging about how amazing he is? ichigo could have beaten byakuya a dozen times over until he finally bragged enough to get byakuya to use his best stuff. from there, was ichigo supposed to just do that every time until he got beat up enough to make it seem like a fair fight? so, his speed had to go.

though, it would have been fine if ichigo had instead fought guys with ways of dealing with super speed, but, you know, bleach.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

if ichigo was unarmed, then him being very fast would be acceptable. however, the problem with super speed + a sword became very obvious during the first time he used it. that is, why the heck can't he just cut a guy instead of zipping around bragging about how amazing he is? ichigo could have beaten byakuya a dozen times over until he finally bragged enough to get byakuya to use his best stuff. from there, was ichigo supposed to just do that every time until he got beat up enough to make it seem like a fair fight? so, his speed had to go.

though, it would have been fine if ichigo had instead fought guys with ways of dealing with super speed, but, you know, bleach.

He could still have fought the Arrancar with a super speed sword easily enough - their skin was supposed to be tough as blades anyway. Just have Ichigo require a constant barrage of slashes to chip away at their armor enough to hurt them more seriously or something like that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

He could still have fought the Arrancar with a super speed sword easily enough - their skin was supposed to be tough as blades anyway. Just have Ichigo require a constant barrage of slashes to chip away at their armor enough to hurt them more seriously or something like that.

that is one of the many counters to super speed, yes. but aside from perfect counter bullshit kubo doesn't really think about how powers work together. he never has and likely never will.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Kubo only knows one way to counter and that is "I can regenerate/I'm Invulnerable/I'm a chicken god". All of those only drag fights

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

Kubo only knows one way to counter and that is "I can regenerate/I'm Invulnerable/I'm a chicken god". All of those only drag fights

nah, in the quincy arc he repeatedly did this bullshit where someone's newly revealed power is the perfect counter for their opponent, and then sometimes their opponent would do the same thing. basically an extension of mayuri's dumb as hell calvinball fights.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Not killing Byakuya and banking on changing his mind about his sister was one of the few smart things Ichigo did in the series, as risky as it was.

I imagine things would've gone down very differently after Aizen hosed off if they actually did murder one of their captains.

E: Ichigo was supposed to be smart, I wish Kubo rolled with that more and less with the really bland dude we wound up with

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he still hit byakuya with his sword a whole lot. granted, ichigo probably wasn't aware of how absurdly resilient sword ghosts are at that point, but i don't really see the difference between stabbing a guy a bunch now or 5 minutes later.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Ichigo was supposed to be smart, I wish Kubo rolled with that more and less with the really bland dude we wound up with

Remember when everybody though Ichigo was a useless punk because he was brash and had crazy orange hair, but he was actually in the top 10 of his class and into Shakespeare and poo poo? There was this whole theme of people and things being more than they appeared, which also resonated with Ichigo's friends (The giant and muscular Chad who swore off fighting, the quirky Orihime who's parents were abusive and brother was dead, the mystery of Rukia, etc) and even the hollows who looked and acted like monsters but for the most part were just tortured souls who'd been twisted by their own regrets and were worth pitying (Grand Fisher excluded).

Kubo couldn't have dropped those themes faster if he tried.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sydin posted:

Remember when everybody though Ichigo was a useless punk because he was brash and had crazy orange hair, but he was actually in the top 10 of his class and into Shakespeare and poo poo? There was this whole theme of people and things being more than they appeared, which also resonated with Ichigo's friends (The giant and muscular Chad who swore off fighting, the quirky Orihime who's parents were abusive and brother was dead, the mystery of Rukia, etc) and even the hollows who looked and acted like monsters but for the most part were just tortured souls who'd been twisted by their own regrets and were worth pitying (Grand Fisher excluded).

Starrrrrrrrrrk, Harribel, Nel, and sort of Ulquiorra were supposed to continue that theme, but the ship had mostly sailed by that point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

he still hit byakuya with his sword a whole lot. granted, ichigo probably wasn't aware of how absurdly resilient sword ghosts are at that point, but i don't really see the difference between stabbing a guy a bunch now or 5 minutes later.

It's the difference between a few cuts here and there and stabbing him right through his ghost throat which he was completely capable of doing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

chad was also at the top of his class iirc

chad's ending should have been him becoming a chess grandmaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

chad was also at the top of his class iirc

chad's ending should have been him becoming a chess grandmaster

Chad was closer to second, Ishida was first.

E: but then again Chad was smart enough to leverage his insane ghost muscles to destroy a competitive sport and become a millionaire so I guess book smarts aren't everything?

• Locked thread