Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

Hey you guys know like most 90s/00s movies, The Mummy had a cartoon based on it?

I literally don't remember anything else other than "it exists", but I think it might be a very distant 2nd best in the "spin-off cartoon based on a movie" genre.

Are we forgetting Jackie Chan Adventures?

quote:

Jackie Chan, an amateur archeologist, would prefer to quietly do his work for the local university, but fate has dealt him another hand. When he finds a shield containing a talisman, he runs afoul of The Dark Hand, a criminal organization led by a man called Valmont and guided by the spirit Shendu. Jackie and his family must cooperate with a secret law enforcement organization, Section 13, to counter the threat, and must face dangers that will demand all of Jackie's daring and skill in martial arts to overcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcmpjIfb0OQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Tippis posted:

I'm very afraid to even ask, because I know already that it'll be so stupid that I'll lose brain cells, but…

#1?

Either Godzilla or Evolution; those shows kicked rear end

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Perhaps it's best to clarify: second (and first) best because of “oh, wow, that's so stupid it's actually hilarious” or because of “oh, wow, that's a really good show”?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Wasn't the kid a teenager in the cartoon?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

he said second best, obviously meaning that JCA was in first place

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The animated series revolved around the son of the male and female leads for the Mummy, and the ancient magical Egyptian relic that got stuck on his arm. I'd give it a solid B, there were definitely better cartoons based off of movies with things like Ghostbusters, Men in Black, Jackie Chan, and Osmosis Jones out there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Uncharted is borderline the Jackie Chan Adventures game I dream of.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

drat it, if this really is the end of the franchise than Drake has never fought a luchador

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pennfalath posted:

Wasn't the kid a teenager in the cartoon?
Yeah she was also on Mr. Show with her older (or younger) sister
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI7CIWJ5PJc

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Disqualified, not based on a movie.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
It's basically an animated documentary. Like Waltz With Bashir.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
When I was younger, I thought that the Aladdin cartoon series was pretty good. I haven't watched it in like, 20 years, so I don't know if I was correct or just a dumbass kid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd honestly be down with Naughty Dog making a Jackie Chan Adventures game, tbh.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sully is basically halfway to Uncle, he just needs to learn elaborate Chinese magic and a sumo wrestler sidekick.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Miz Kriss posted:

When I was younger, I thought that the Aladdin cartoon series was pretty good. I haven't watched it in like, 20 years, so I don't know if I was correct or just a dumbass kid.
Considering what the animation thread in cined remembers that series for, the answer apparently depends on whether or not you now have a transformation fetish.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seems it'd be a bit unsporting to totally ignore M.I.B the series.

The animation was stylish, it balanced longer plots with one-offs, and the writing was usually alright, and sometimes even clever. Definitely better than the average.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
MIB had a Christmas episode.

Santa is real and the only alien stuff he has is a supersonic rocket sleigh and elves from the toy making elf planet. The rest of the universe is jealous and wants to steal Xmas.

edit: There should be a DLC where Drake saves Christmas.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 23, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

PhazonLink posted:

MIB had a Christmas episode.

Santa is real and the only alien stuff he has is a supersonic rocket sleigh and elves from the toy making elf planet. The rest of the universe is jealous and wants to steal Xmas.

edit: There should be a DLC where Drake saves Christmas.

Santa was also a real thing in the Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon as well (apparently he possessed a huge amount of chi or something). Naturally he and his realm were under attack by the bad guys.

What on earth is with the trend of "Saving Christmas" anyway? You never really see that kind of thing with other holidays.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Christmas is the only holiday that means anything more than a couple days off of school to their target audience.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zuzie posted:

What on earth is with the trend of "Saving Christmas" anyway? You never really see that kind of thing with other holidays.

There's a kids' book where a tiny girl (Thumbelina size, not just short) saves Hanukkah.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Not really saving the holiday but I did love rug rats doing passover. (Also am I misremember or did they imply that grandpa Boris was a holocaust survivor?)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Jackie Chan Adventures needs a full series DVD release and I am disappointed no one has jumped on it yet.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

chiasaur11 posted:

Seems it'd be a bit unsporting to totally ignore M.I.B the series.

The animation was stylish, it balanced longer plots with one-offs, and the writing was usually alright, and sometimes even clever. Definitely better than the average.

Agent J: "Wait, John Lennon was an alien? What's Ringo?"

Agent K: "The drummer."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Does Roughnecks count as an animated series based off of a movie? Cause I remember that being very good even if the animation hasn't aged well. By which I mean it's borderline horrifying.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

mateo360 posted:

Jackie Chan Adventures needs a full series DVD release and I am disappointed no one has jumped on it yet.

the series used to be on Netflix but, like most things I wanted to watch at some point, no longer is

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I wish there were a series of young adult novels about a young Victor Sullivan and his globetrotting adventures in the 1930s.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ManSedan posted:

I wish there were a series of young adult novels about a young Victor Sullivan and his globetrotting adventures in the 1930s.

Isn't that just Tales of the Gold Monkey?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Sully was actually born fully grown. He always looked the way he did.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

David D. Davidson posted:

Sully was actually born fully grown. He always looked the way he did.

The Curious Case of Victor Sullivan

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Speaking of which, I was reading the Uncharted wiki the other day (after I finally beat UC4) and Sully's article helpfully points out that "Victor Sullivan was born somewhere in 1951". Honestly, I'm not so sure that Sully was actually born in some location and didn't just materialize into existence, so maybe it was a good idea to include that bit.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 23, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What they didn't mention is that the 'somewhere' is mars

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Sully was birthed, fully formed, from the head of a prostitute in Tijuana.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Yeah I'm completely incapable of picturing Sully at younger than like 35-40 years old.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sully regularly reflects on his earliest memory, which was serving as Napoleon's 43 year-old palace janitor.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Just replace this with Sully
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1111

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Sully is actually a living stable time loop but he has no memory of any of the events he experiences in the time. At some point he'll time travel back to 1951 and relive all his adventures until he time travels again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Its pretty amazing coincidence but Tom Hanks does look like Sully in this movie about the guy who was able to land a plane safely in the Hudson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Its pretty amazing coincidence but Tom Hanks does look like Sully in this movie about the guy who was able to land a plane safely in the Hudson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE

How do you make a 96-minute move out of a 6-minute event, 2˝ of which were uneventful. :psyduck:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tippis posted:

How do you make a 96-minute move out of a 6-minute event, 2˝ of which were uneventful. :psyduck:

The same way they made a movie out of Battleship. And out of Tetris, too, of all things. Wonder why they couldn't have done Monopoly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Aerdan posted:

The same way they made a movie out of Battleship. And out of Tetris, too, of all things. Wonder why they couldn't have done Monopoly...

They were working on it a while back, but Battleship flopped.

• Locked thread