Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Someone locally listed a lot of a hundred records for sale to use as crafts. As a musician, I found that unappealing, and ended up buying the records for $30. It's about 150 discs, not 100, mostly jazz with some other stuff mixed in (and yes, it did include Whipped Cream). I brought my untested garage sale record player out of storage, and unsurprisingly it doesn't work. The local record store has only a few used machines in stock, and by far the least expensive is $250 which is a bit much for a beginner.

I'm going to look through garage sales, estate sales and auctions to find a decent model under $100. Is there a good resource to quickly check model numbers to determine age and quality, besides going to Google and digging past all the sales links and junk results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

CaseFace McGee posted:

Someone locally listed a lot of a hundred records for sale to use as crafts. As a musician, I found that unappealing, and ended up buying the records for $30. It's about 150 discs, not 100, mostly jazz with some other stuff mixed in (and yes, it did include Whipped Cream). I brought my untested garage sale record player out of storage, and unsurprisingly it doesn't work. The local record store has only a few used machines in stock, and by far the least expensive is $250 which is a bit much for a beginner.

I'm going to look through garage sales, estate sales and auctions to find a decent model under $100. Is there a good resource to quickly check model numbers to determine age and quality, besides going to Google and digging past all the sales links and junk results?

You can cross reference the turntable and get some information using http://www.vinylengine.com

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
In other news, some of you old(er) collectors may remember InSound as a pretty good place to buy vinyl. Sadly, the original InSound shut down about a year-or-so ago but interestingly Warner Music Group bought the name and re-booted the site and is now using it as a clearing house for their extra/leftover/low selling albums.

Every day they have at least 30% off, but some days (for instance today) they're running 55% off everything and if you use the code WELCOME10 you can get another 10%

Not every item they have is a gem, but for instance, they have the Daft Punk Alive 1997/2007 box set, Lykki Li - I Never Learn, Funky Soul Groove 45 Box, etc. Also 3-4 different Flaming Lips albums/box sets.

Anyway, just a heads up. I bought the Soul Groove Box set and it's pretty rad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

THANK YOU FOR SEPARATING ME FROM MY MONEY.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Xarthor posted:

In other news, some of you old(er) collectors may remember InSound as a pretty good place to buy vinyl. Sadly, the original InSound shut down about a year-or-so ago but interestingly Warner Music Group bought the name and re-booted the site and is now using it as a clearing house for their extra/leftover/low selling albums.

Every day they have at least 30% off, but some days (for instance today) they're running 55% off everything and if you use the code WELCOME10 you can get another 10%

Not every item they have is a gem, but for instance, they have the Daft Punk Alive 1997/2007 box set, Lykki Li - I Never Learn, Funky Soul Groove 45 Box, etc. Also 3-4 different Flaming Lips albums/box sets.

Anyway, just a heads up. I bought the Soul Groove Box set and it's pretty rad.

So you mean now they finally have reasonable pricing?

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I somehow managed to find the only Discogs collector who doesn't just scoff at and ignore inquiries about selling items from their collection and ended up with a pristine copy of the Fiery Furnaces' Blueberry Boat

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CPL593H posted:

Very reasonable yes, this re-issue of Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick used to be $90 but now it's at the low, low price of only $40.49: http://www.insound.com/music/thick-as-a-brick-thick-as-a-brick-2-special-vinyl-collection.html

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

CPL593H posted:

they still charge outrageous shipping but when they do free shipping sales like their july 4th I got 3 LPs for like 22 bucks

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

trdn89 posted:

I somehow managed to find the only Discogs collector who doesn't just scoff at and ignore inquiries about selling items from their collection and ended up with a pristine copy of the Fiery Furnaces' Blueberry Boat

I've been passively looking for a copy of EP and I've never even seen it. Discogs shows a total of 7 haves/5 wants for the US version so it theoretically exists. There's a lot more haves/wants for the UK version but the only copy for sale is a $150 test pressing. I definitely don't want it that bad.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Very reasonable yes, this re-issue of Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick used to be $90 but now it's at the low, low price of only $40.49: http://www.insound.com/music/thick-as-a-brick-thick-as-a-brick-2-special-vinyl-collection.html

Jesus Christ, who do they think even wants this poo poo?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

Jesus Christ, who do they think even wants this poo poo?

Jethro Tull fans.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't even hate Jethro Tull, but you can get one of the dozens of pressings of it in VG+ or better shape on Discogs for $15 or less.

I had a VG+ copy of it in a huge lot of records I bought cheap, and dumped it off at a record store.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I got The Folk Box and Nighthawks at the Diner for like 54 bucks all day so I can't complain thanks for the link guy

Also you can buy Critical Beatdown for like 8 dollars with the coupon code so...that's sick as gently caress

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
If you don't have Critical Beatdown like, do not miss Critical Beatdown for under 10 bucks. Buy it. It's the fuckin best

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

King Vidiot posted:

I don't even hate Jethro Tull, but you can get one of the dozens of pressings of it in VG+ or better shape on Discogs for $15 or less.

I had a VG+ copy of it in a huge lot of records I bought cheap, and dumped it off at a record store.

Thick as a Brick, Aqualung and Minstrel in the Gallery have to be about as ubiquitous as Whipped Cream. I see at least one of those basically every time I dig through a crate.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Thought I'd go to my favorite record store and see if I could find a record. Ended up with 3 YMO records I couldn't pass up. There goes my spare spending money!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Holy poo poo.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Barry posted:

I've been passively looking for a copy of EP and I've never even seen it. Discogs shows a total of 7 haves/5 wants for the US version so it theoretically exists. There's a lot more haves/wants for the UK version but the only copy for sale is a $150 test pressing. I definitely don't want it that bad.

Having pulled the trigger on each of the five best FF albums in the last couple of weeks (Bark/Boat/EP/Tea/City), I think it's safe to assume that they'll all be reissued any day now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

a worthy uhh posted:

Holy poo poo.

I grabbed the silver eu variant. Can't believe they issued it as /200 haha. Sold out quick as hell.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

New Goblin Cock album is up for pre-order. https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/collections/new-releases/products/necronomidonkeykongimicon

There is a 2LP version on "halloween orange vinyl with blood red splatter" limited to 500 copies

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

There is a 2LP version on "halloween orange vinyl with blood red splatter" limited to 500 copies
Those are only available to VIP members of the site, which is kinda bullshit...

quote:

bonus EP, a Cock Opera entitled “Dragonfucker” on a black 12” – with a screen-printed b-side
Okay, you got me. Here's another $5 to join your VIP club. Whatever.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, needing a VIP membership sucks. I piggybacked on my brothers VIP, and he was able to cancel after making the orders. At least they do $5/month and don't make you pay for a full years worth.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

trdn89 posted:

Having pulled the trigger on each of the five best FF albums in the last couple of weeks (Bark/Boat/EP/Tea/City), I think it's safe to assume that they'll all be reissued any day now.

Your sacrifice is appreciated

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I didn't like Furi as a game that much but the soundtrack is some kind of synthwave all-star ensemble thing:

The cover art is printed with a silver foil thing.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Has anyone ever done / would recommend a vinyl club like Vinyl Me, Please? I want to get a gift for a coworker who recently got into vinyl and thought something like this might be cool. She already has most of what she "wants."

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's a pretty expensive gift for a coworker. Has she talked to HR about you yet?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Peas and Rice posted:

Has anyone ever done / would recommend a vinyl club like Vinyl Me, Please? I want to get a gift for a coworker who recently got into vinyl and thought something like this might be cool. She already has most of what she "wants."

Buy her a Loot Crate sub too. That way she'll get two packages of completely random garbage per month.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Buy her a Loot Crate sub too. That way she'll get two packages of completely random garbage per month.

hey I know someone who has VMP and so far he's only had to give me two records cause they came either warped or with damaged packaging!

the color on the donuts he gave me is pretty slick

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

BigFactory posted:

That's a pretty expensive gift for a coworker. Has she talked to HR about you yet?

They haven't called me in yet so probably not! (She's very sick and this is a group gift).

quote:

That way she'll get two packages of completely random garbage per month.

Kinda what I figured, thanks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I had VMP for 6 months and it was good but I like getting stuff in the mail. I got a couple of things I never would have bought on my own but are good, a couple of things I owned in other formats that were nice to have on wax I guess, and father John misty.

A few of the titles started selling for pretty big bucks almost right away on discogs (war on drugs and madvillaney) if you're into that sort of thing.

Good gift, not something I'd subscribe to on my own

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If she's new to vinyl get her a copy of Whipped Cream & Other Delights

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Get her six copies of Whipped Cream and Other Delights.

Boinks posted:

You bastard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Peas and Rice posted:

Kinda what I figured, thanks.

I mean, the concept behind it is fine but when you're dealing with something as broad as "music on vinyl" it's usually a better bet to just buy what you like and not leave things to chance. She could get stuck with 12 LPs that she hates and then she's got 12 dinner plate sized paperweights. I have a friend who does Loot Crate and VMP and a couple others like it and she's constantly giving away or ebaying poo poo she gets and has no use for.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Boinks posted:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Peas and Rice posted:

Other than Donuts it was pretty meh from the few months I did it. But if you like generic indie it's alright

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

VMP is better for it's private store and club only pressings. The Album of the month can be hit or miss. I've subscribed to them for about a year and a half now. Only two records I received did I not ever enjoy.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bape Culture posted:

I grabbed the silver eu variant. Can't believe they issued it as /200 haha. Sold out quick as hell.

Gahhh didn't even know this was a thing. Thought I got to the site pretty quick.

E: Ahhh I misread, EU. drat, 250 copies in silver.

Is there anywhere that has a bunch of images of vinyl setups? I'm looking to finally put my vinyl back out in the living room, but I need some ideas. Looking for something preferably smaller and not have it be the main focus of the room (Tables/Storage is what I am kind of looking for ideas here).

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 25, 2016

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Limited edition Nobody Speak 12" single

http://shop.djshadow.com/products/dj-shadow-nobody-speak-12-inch-vinyl-ft-run-the-jewels

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
Can any of you folks familiar with the Austin, TX area suggest me places to purchase either:

1) Reasonably-priced records. The only record store I've ever been that didn't overcharge like poo poo was Sisters in Christ in NOLA. Anything I bought from there was either $5-10 less than what Discogs was offering at the time. So I've been a little spoiled by that.

or

2) Electronic and/or experimental records that are worth the price if it's more expensive. I'm on a mission to get some Diamanda Galas and Current 93 records, to paint a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MNSNTZR posted:

Can any of you folks familiar with the Austin, TX area suggest me places to purchase either:

1) Reasonably-priced records.

I usually go to two places in austin;

1) End of an Ear on 1st St. Decent selection, good prices. It's just a little building but I always find good stuff there. I think they're going to move locations in the near future though.

2) Waterloo Records on N. Lamar. More expensive, but the selection really can't be beat. Always busy and parking's a bitch though.

Sometimes I'll hit the two Half-Price Books on Lamar. I've had mixed success, but every now and then you'll find a good stack of stuff some poor college student sold to afford ramen that month. You should definitely hit End of an Ear at the very least.