Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

I meant in general I like Bolt as a removal spell more and in the Suicide Zoo matchup Jund has access to burn spells.

Burn spells are horrible against Suicide Zoo. Jund is never going to be able to play the beatdown in that matchup the way Burn can. You will literally never win a game vs Suicide zoo that way.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You just hate Jund

I do. But I also think that Abzan is better in the current meta by alot.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You just hate Jund

Yeah but he's actually right, enough people haven't figured it out yet though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah but he's actually right, enough people haven't figured it out yet though.

Access to anger/pyroclasm/KoCo/bloodmoon is pretty good though. Low cost sweepers is pretty useful as well as two for ones.

I think modern sucks balls but I'm more of a jund fan than an abzan fan.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Access to anger/pyroclasm/KoCo/bloodmoon is pretty good though. Low cost sweepers is pretty useful as well as two for ones.

I think modern sucks balls but I'm more of a jund fan than an abzan fan.

I mean obviously those red cards are good and jund is good, that wasn't the comment he was making. The statement is more that junk is in a good spot right now with the cards it offers. Jund is also very popular right now which makes junk even better because it wins that matchup. Jund is never bad but there are times where junk is a better option based on the metagame.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tim Raines IRL posted:

speaking of interaction, what's everyone's feeling on the way-too-many-cards Elfball Lands lists floating around? From some minor testing and one event, I think it's probably overall* not as good as either 60-card NO elves or Chaos Elves, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to pilot, and you have so many silver bullets that you at least feel like you have a chance at coming back from board states that would just be scoop in the normal elves decks. I'll probably keep messing with this for the foreseeable future. It's also more consistent than you'd expect an 85 card pile to be, because of the sort of unreasonable number of tutors you have access to (in an Enchantress match I got Ruric Thar out in all 3 games, generally by turn 3).

I think I'm going to throw an Animar into this list, as long as I'm trying to play Commander with a legacy deck may as well be all in.

*meta-dependent

I mostly like the idea of appearing to be the constructed version of guy who plays 54 cards in his draft deck with 20 lands.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Lawnie posted:

I mostly like the idea of appearing to be the constructed version of guy who plays 54 cards in his draft deck with 20 lands.

you need to have a bunch of zingers ready. "We're here to play commander, right?" "I've got six natural orders but I'm at 90 cards so I think that's cool?" "I couldn't decide on an archetype so I give you Transformational MiracElves Lands Maverick". Etc.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone else going to the Baltimore SCG in November? I'm going to do the main legacy event and then modern when i fail to make day 2.

Trying to drag my brother and a guy from work, but TBD

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Walked posted:

Anyone else going to the Baltimore SCG in November? I'm going to do the main legacy event and then modern when i fail to make day 2.

yeah probably

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I've been messing with a dumb (modern) BUG Elves list that's heavy on 4 drops and uses Eldritch Evolution instead of CoCo because I'm sick of casting CoCo. Master Biomancer feels like a card that ought to be playable somewhere in modern; of course it's very weak to Path, but it survives bolt, and in an elf shell it's not hard to get it out of dismember range.

gonna need a list for this immediately

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Walked posted:

Yeah.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

AgentSythe posted:

yeah probably

gonna need a list for this immediately

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bug-out-elves/
2 SoTP instead of 3 might be a mistake, no mainboard Rec Sage is definitely a mistake. Master Biomancer is hilarious.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bug-out-elves/
2 SoTP instead of 3 might be a mistake, no mainboard Rec Sage is definitely a mistake. Master Biomancer is hilarious.

loving love master biomancer. 4of in my elves.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Re: Legacy decks. I played a legacy infect for a while, and it was probably the most unfun deck I've ever played. Generally you drew invigorate, a dude, and they died. Winning never felt fun. And it's not just because it's combo. I play Show and Tell decks, I had ANT together, etc. It just wasn't particularity enjoyable, even in your wins.

That being said, I don't think I'd find D&T particularly fun either. If I were going to start with a deck, it'd probably just be Grixis Delver.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

AkumaHokoru posted:

loving love master biomancer. 4of in my elves.

Do you have a list I can look at?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Do you have a list I can look at?

3 Ezuri’s Archers
4 Copperhorn Scout
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Joraga Warcaller

3 Dwynen’s Elite
3 Elvish Visionary
4 Nissa’s Chosen

3 Reclamation Sage
4 Elvish Archdruid

4 Master Biomancer
2 Nissa Revane

2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Temple of Mystery
4 Oran-Rief, The Vastwood
4 Hinterland Harbor
7 Forest

1 Primal Surge
1 Eldrazi Monument
1 Akroma's Memorial

SB
1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
1 Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Dean
1 Reclamation Sage
2 Door to tomorrow
2 Immaculate Magistrate
2 Imperious Perfect
4 blank

This is based off the first deck i had made for myself and slowly (this deck has only recently been looked at with all the new elves i severely lowered the costs in here but still feel it needs more. i want to get a cavern or two and fix the mana spread.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 27, 2016

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I actually should go and try to get the caverns and maybe some wirewoods

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So after having finally putting a couple legacy decks together: legacy is the bomb. Holy moly fun

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Walked posted:

So after having finally putting a couple legacy decks together: legacy is the bomb. Holy moly fun

Confirmed

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

I wish Legacy was played around here so I could justify buying into it :( The one store that does it weekly is a pain in the rear end to get to and also does it on my favorite gym night. For now I'm just paying down all the debt I can so that when I get to a place with a Legacy scene I can justify duals and the like, heh.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Walked posted:

some day you'll be truly enlightened and start foiling out pauper decks

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

some day you'll be truly enlightened and start foiling out pauper decks

My Ub Control is 3/75 Russian/Japanese foil and Tron is like 5/75 (with Alpha CoPs on the board because I have standards.) Any day now.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
now THIS is a fucken deck

EDIT: none of the rest of the decks in the top 64 at all 3 of the GPs were anything I hadn't seen before, except this one

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 29, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

now THIS is a fucken deck

EDIT: none of the rest of the decks in the top 64 at all 3 of the GPs were anything I hadn't seen before, except this one

:laffo: Prismatic Omen + Valakut at a GP, that's good poo poo. Someone somewhere has tried that in EDH, right?

Not sure if I agree with Boom//Bust, unless the whole point is to use it only when you have Flagstones in play. Manamorphose also seems a little weak, other than for digging for cards you actually want.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 29, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Im the 4 explores (and zero other ramp spells)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Im the 4 explores (and zero other ramp spells)

Explore is a pump spell, not ramp. Deck looks dumb and fun.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeah, it's a landfall deck that uses landfall creatures to run over the opponent or burn them out with Valakut and Scapeshift.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

Not sure if I agree with Boom//Bust, unless the whole point is to use it only when you have Flagstones in play. Manamorphose also seems a little weak, other than for digging for cards you actually want.

Boom is a 2-mana Stone Rain if you have a fetchland out, even if you ignore the flagstones value.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Because of the M14 legend rule, you can't do the cute trick of playing a second Flagstones of Trokair and getting two Plains when the lands erase each other from state-based effects.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It doesn't actually have that many fetches for a landfall deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Boom is a 2-mana Stone Rain if you have a fetchland out, even if you ignore the flagstones value.

Oh I thought there were sac effects on both sides. That's neat.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It doesn't actually have that many fetches for a landfall deck.

Never mind that Scapeshift, Knight of the Reliquary, and Flagstones of Trokair accomplish the same thing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edit: accidental double post

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv posted:

Omen/Valakut(not the rest of this) was a real deck in the last seasons of Extended. You would even sometimes run Warfare(go ahead, look it up) to fetch your Omen.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I played that deck when modern was young. You could wargate a lot of random bullets or valakut

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

:laffo: Prismatic Omen + Valakut at a GP, that's good poo poo. Someone somewhere has tried that in EDH, right?

Omen is pretty common tech in scapeshift decks actually. Lets you scapeshift for lethal with only six lands out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I think that the Titan Ramp decks are the best "Big Mana" decks to be playing right now but I don't understand how that deck ever beats Suicide Zoo. It's been a bye every time I've played the matchup.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

This is what I'm looking to move into, from my current version of Nic Fit, since I feel like I can lose some of the midrange easy-wins as I feel I'm strong enough against the aggro decks I'm facing.
Combo is basically a wash for this deck, I hope they don't have it, and hope I draw some hate post-SB, so trying to find where i can gain against the control decks has been key, and this deck plays super sweet.

quote:

1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Birthing Pod
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Pernicious Deed
2 Eldritch Evolution
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Path to Exile
4 Cabal Therapy
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Eternal Witness
1 Deathrite Shaman
1 Yosei, the Morning Star
1 Academy Rector
1 Sigarda, Heron's Grace
1 Thragtusk
2 Siege Rhino
3 Wall of Blossoms
4 Veteran Explorer
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Karakas
2 Plains
1 Temple Garden
3 Swamp
1 Bayou
4 Forest
4 Windswept Heath
4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard
1 Aegis of the Gods
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Hymn to Tourach
1 Stony Silence
2 Thoughtseize
1 Pithing Needle
2 Tsunami
1 The Gitrog Monster
1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Painful Quandary
1 Golgari Charm
1 Chalice of the Void

Thoughts?
(Other than "replace your temple garden with a savannah, and get more ABU duals!")

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mehall posted:

This is what I'm looking to move into, from my current version of Nic Fit, since I feel like I can lose some of the midrange easy-wins as I feel I'm strong enough against the aggro decks I'm facing.
Combo is basically a wash for this deck, I hope they don't have it, and hope I draw some hate post-SB, so trying to find where i can gain against the control decks has been key, and this deck plays super sweet.

Thoughts?
(Other than "replace your temple garden with a savannah, and get more ABU duals!")

Cut the too cute jank like Yosei, play max hymns. Hymn will give you more game vs most combo and control decks, especially since you also have cabal therapies.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

Cut the too cute jank like Yosei, play max hymns. Hymn will give you more game vs most combo and control decks, especially since you also have cabal therapies.

The older build I had, with more Rhinos, had DL Dromoka in that spot, but Yosei is a lock with Recurring Nightmare.

I agree it looks too cute, but Yosei is better than you think, if you get to use the trigger repeatedly, and on a 5/5 flying body.

You may be right about hymn though. But BB is tough to guarantee early enough for it to be relevant.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mehall posted:

The older build I had, with more Rhinos, had DL Dromoka in that spot, but Yosei is a lock with Recurring Nightmare.

I agree it looks too cute, but Yosei is better than you think, if you get to use the trigger repeatedly, and on a 5/5 flying body.

You may be right about hymn though. But BB is tough to guarantee early enough for it to be relevant.

You're probably already winning if you get to have a 6 mana legendary creature in play long enough to sacrifice it to Recurring Nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I had grave titan as the finisher in that deck for a long time.