Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

It bothers me to see that when somebody finally goes to bat for KFC, it had to be assholes like Trump and Pence. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This assumes from the start that Trump is using some kind of advanced "powerful tools of persuasion" ala Scott Adams' mind control or the_donald's 22nd dimensional chess playing. When in reality he's just yelling things at a crowd and repeating the things that get the most cheers. That's it, that's his big "charismatic" secret.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

It bothers me to see that when somebody finally goes to bat for KFC, it had to be assholes like Trump and Pence. :smith:

There is a reason for that.

the reason is that kfc is horrible inferior chicken.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This assumes from the start that Trump is using some kind of advanced "powerful tools of persuasion" ala Scott Adams' mind control or the_donald's 22nd dimensional chess playing. When in reality he's just yelling things at a crowd and repeating the things that get the most cheers. That's it, that's his big "charismatic" secret.

I have to agree. Focusing too much on Trump himself ignores the fact that he's really just the symptom of the disease that is the irrationality and tribalism that right wing media and politicians have encouraged for decades. He's nothing special, just the lucky demagogue who popped up at the right time to take advantage of the bigotry and misplaced, often baseless anger that conservatives have stoked for so long. It's the real reason his supporters don't seem to care about anything he himself says or does so long as he claims he'll hurt the ones they hate in a loud voice.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't had fried chicken in so long. I've been craving it for weeks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is how desperate they are.

Hillary yelled at Vince so hard he killed himself.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Geostomp posted:

I have to agree. Focusing too much on Trump himself ignores the fact that he's really just the symptom of the disease that is the irrationality and tribalism that right wing media and politicians have encouraged for decades. He's nothing special, just the lucky demagogue who popped up at the right time to take advantage of the bigotry and misplaced, often baseless anger that conservatives have stoked for so long. It's the real reason his supporters don't seem to care about anything he himself says or does so long as he claims he'll hurt the ones they hate in a loud voice.

Yeah what's frustrating me is that it's very obvious that once Trump (hopefully loses) the media will be back to the narrative that the GOP as a whole is actually very Serious about governing, totally not racist at all (maybe just a little ;) ), and that maybe the Democrats need to compromise more in order to Get Things Done. Trump is nothing special in terms of policy, he's just making it REALLY clear what the plan is and also allowing white supremacy to get a foothold as a Serious position you can discuss on a news panel show.

zoux posted:

LOL. Only a 90's kid would remember this political assassination conspiracy theory.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

zoux posted:

And they'll always overlook the fact that Ken loving Starr closed the case as a suicide. If anyone was going to try to frame it as a homicide, it'd be him.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Lie Bot, what is the saddest thing?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I wonder if we are going to see the death of Fox news as a bastion of the right wing media after this election. Apparently Fox news was a "A Sex-fueled, Playboy Mansion-like cult" according to another ex-fox news host.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-fox-news-host-files-lawsuit-against-roger-121912082.html?ref=gs

I really hope the whole things burns to the ground.

quote:

Andrea Tantaros described Fox in the lawsuit, filed Monday in New York, as a "sex-fueled, Playboy Mansion-like cult." She said after she complained last spring about Ailes, one of his top deputies, William Shine, warned her that Ailes was a "very powerful man" and that she "needed to let this one go."

quote:

Among them: Former Republican U.S. Sen. Scott Brown of Massachusetts and Fox host Bill O'Reilly, neither of whom is listed as a defendant in the lawsuit.

Brown "made a number of sexually inappropriate comments to her" while filming on set last August and put his hands "on her lower waist," the lawsuit said. O'Reilly asked her to stay with him at his Long Island home and told her he believed she had a "wild side," according to the lawsuit.

quote:

Tantaros says she was subjected to "demeaning conduct" such as having to strip in front of Fox News wardrobe personnel when she picked her on-air clothing.

In a separate incident, she says Ailes asked her twice to "turn around so I can get a good look at you," adding, on one occasion, "Come over here so I can give you a hug."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

This is a pretty significant step down from the accusation that she literally had him murdered

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait a sec...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mr Interweb posted:

How deep does the KFC/Trump connection go? Well notorious friend of Trump Vincent Kennedy McMahon is in on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8J3V6wchSE

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"You have failed us for the last time," said Darth Clinton as she force choked Grand Moff Foster to death

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Geostomp posted:

Honestly I think Trump is just in it now because he loves doing the rallies. I think he's getting high off the attention.

His new advisors are likely going to mostly help him position himself (and themselves) for the greatest personal benefit after he inevitably loses - the Trump network or some other thing fueled by his newfound megapopularity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vince, we're not so different, you and I.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's so weird to look at that image and see Vince Foster unfiltered.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Absolutely. Trump is an extremely poor orator. He has negative charisma. He rants and rambles and plays off his audience like a bad comedian trying out new material. However, Trump supporters are typically engaged with a universe of alt-right-wing media which creates a cultish atmosphere in which only the most extreme voices and claims are given attention. I've noticed that the internet has allowed these extremist spaces to thrive, echo chambers which become more and more divorced from reality. Now Trump supporters are just dismissing the "MSM" as biased and untrustworthy it's like they've said goodbye to any consensus reality and are happily living in a fantasy land in which feelings trump (sorry) facts and nothing is true or false. It's very postmodern. But how do you debate someone who doesn't even admit that newspapers report the truth in any way, shape or form? It's an impossibility.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Proud day to be a PhD worker (!!!) at Columbia.

Can't believe we actually actually managed this. After literal years of meetings, card signings, town halls... it's just incredible. Absolutely giddy that this has happened, and looking forward to making sure "YES" wins the election.

Bring on the Republican/Administration shitstorm.

Good luck to workers at other private universities. But it's not just luck, this is the result of action. Get out there, organize, and vote!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Donald Trump won't give a concession speech. He will ignore the results and use the free national airtime on every major network to announce the TrumpNews launch, while trying to sell everyone a Trump branded white hood.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axe_vendetta posted:

Absolutely. Trump is an extremely poor orator. He has negative charisma. He rants and rambles and plays off his audience like a bad comedian trying out new material. However, Trump supporters are typically engaged with a universe of alt-right-wing media which creates a cultish atmosphere in which only the most extreme voices and claims are given attention. I've noticed that the internet has allowed these extremist spaces to thrive, echo chambers which become more and more divorced from reality. Now Trump supporters are just dismissing the "MSM" as biased and untrustworthy it's like they've said goodbye to any consensus reality and are happily living in a fantasy land in which feelings trump (sorry) facts and nothing is true or false. It's very postmodern. But how do you debate someone who doesn't even admit that newspapers report the truth in any way, shape or form? It's an impossibility.

Yeah the debates are going to be really interesting (in a "may you live in interesting times" way). I agree that Trump is a very poor orator. Regardless of his message his speeches are bad, ramble on, and are full of lame insults. His supporters are so far gone it doesn't matter what he says since they just replace his words with whatever they think is the most important issue they need to vote on. The debates are going to be between one of the most successful current politicians in the country and a guy that gets his news from right wing email forwards and thinks "no u" is an excellent rebuttal. I have no idea how these are going to go down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arcanen posted:

Proud day to be a PhD worker (!!!) at Columbia.

Can't believe we actually actually managed this. After literal years of meetings, card signings, town halls... it's just incredible. Absolutely giddy that this has happened, and looking forward to making sure "YES" wins the election.

Bring on the Republican/Administration shitstorm.

Good luck to workers at other private universities. But it's not just luck, this is the result of action. Get out there, organize, and vote!

Back to the lab! You don't have a CBA yet!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

axe_vendetta posted:

But how do you debate someone who doesn't even admit that newspapers report the truth in any way, shape or form? It's an impossibility.

Nothing is impossible. When they go postmodern, go postmodern harder. If they don't believe your sources of truth are legitimate and you don't believe their sources of truth are legitimate, then debating is not impossible, merely premature; first you have to work out what points of truth you have in common and use them as a foundation to figure out where your realities overlap. Other people may have divergent sources of truth, but coming to consensus with someone from an alternate epistemology merely requires you to rebuild a shared consensus on reality with your target from first principles.

Basically, work harder

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Hamelekim posted:

I wonder if we are going to see the death of Fox news as a bastion of the right wing media after this election.

Murdoch is getting older, despite his regular diet of Gelfling essence, and he's ceded power to his sons who aren't quite as conservative and who never got along with Roger Ailes. Fox could move to the center and Trump's supposedly in-the-works White Nationalist Network could become the new right wing megaphone.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axe_vendetta posted:

Murdoch is getting older, despite his regular diet of Gelfling essence, and he's ceded power to his sons who aren't quite as conservative and who never got along with Roger Ailes. Fox could move to the center and Trump's supposedly in-the-works White Nationalist Network could become the new right wing megaphone.

I'm curious what happens if the theoretical TNN goes full Breitbart and is 100% white supremacy combined with total misinformation. Fox News seems at least SOMEWHAT committed to not being an all out KKK network with full on lies but if the right wing moves on to something that is "entertainment" but also designed to create a totally different reality for its viewers to believe it's going to get really weird and nasty.

I would think advertisers would be a bit wary to have their products on there but who knows.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly I think Trump is just in it now because he loves doing the rallies. I think he's getting high off the attention.

His new advisors are likely going to mostly help him position himself (and themselves) for the greatest personal benefit after he inevitably loses - the Trump network or some other thing fueled by his newfound megapopularity.

Attention has been his goal since the beginning, yes. He has no intention of doing the job of the President, he'd just hand it off to Pence (horrifying in and of itself), but he's still done untold damage by latching onto the angry white male demographic and giving them legitimacy.

Failure may well be the best thing for him: he gets to keep his legions of fanboys while having the evil Crooked Hilary to rail at to get his attention hit without having to face any of that icky, stressful responsibility. Plus he'll get to continue bilking other racists for their money by pushing the "I was robbed" rhetoric until the day he dies fat and happy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

axe_vendetta posted:

WhiNe for short.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Fox news is in a really weird position. On the one hand, they have a completely captive audience propping them up and willing to take what they say as the word of god. On the other hand, that audience is also literally dying, and maintaining it is making future potential audiences hate the network.

They'll either need to introducing some centrist programming at a slow enough pace so as to not piss of their core audience while they transition, or start duking it out with the other alt-right news sources for control of the crazies.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Yeah the debates are going to be really interesting (in a "may you live in interesting times" way). I agree that Trump is a very poor orator. Regardless of his message his speeches are bad, ramble on, and are full of lame insults. His supporters are so far gone it doesn't matter what he says since they just replace his words with whatever they think is the most important issue they need to vote on. The debates are going to be between one of the most successful current politicians in the country and a guy that gets his news from right wing email forwards and thinks "no u" is an excellent rebuttal. I have no idea how these are going to go down.

My prediction is that Trump is going to demand a 4-way debate between him, Clinton and the two third party candidates. His rhetorical style works best when he isn't pinned down to defending an actual position but can attack his opponents from any angle. We saw this in the primaries. He is a completely negative entity - he criticizes, he shoots down, he strawmans but when it comes to defense his complete lack of consistency and integrity are so obvious. I mean, how can he possibly defend his 180 on deporting illegals? His only hope is to "hide in the crowd"and take opportunistic potshots at Clinton.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I would think your young upcoming fascist on the go thinks of Fox News the way most young people think of Facebook, it's for uncool old people even if you use it.

axe_vendetta posted:

My prediction is that Trump is going to demand a 4-way debate between him, Clinton and the two third party candidates. His rhetorical style works best when he isn't pinned down to defending an actual position but can attack his opponents from any angle. We saw this in the primaries. He is a completely negative entity - he criticizes, he shoots down, he strawmans but when it comes to defense his complete lack of consistency and integrity are so obvious. I mean, how can he possibly defend his 180 on deporting illegals? His only hope is to "hide in the crowd"and take opportunistic potshots at Clinton.

Yeah I agree and Clinton would be foolish to go along with it (so she won't). I bet a few pundits will decide that's the time to call her cowardly but anyone with any sense will know that including two jokes that aren't even on all the ballots is an absurd request.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

axe_vendetta posted:

The only way you can "win" a debate with someone who has no real principles and has such a low expectation that not punching the moderator is considered an improvement is to let him hang himself. Logic and reason have no effect because Trump has nothing to argue but a wall of slogans and bigotry. His supporters don't care about any facts or his many crimes, so you'll never manage to convince them. Instead, you have to attack his fragile ego and let him hang himself. Mock him, don't give him any respect or control he so craves. State what you would do, but pounce on every failing of his until he melts down. The goal is the make everyone outside of right wing media cult see just what a complete rear end he is and imagine the horror of such as fool becoming the most powerful individual on Earth.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

Hers is a killing word.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 23, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Geostomp posted:

The only way you can "win" a debate with someone who has no real principles and has such a low expectation that not punching the moderator is considered an improvement is to let him hang himself. Logic and reason have no effect because Trump has nothing to argue but a wall of slogans and bigotry. His supporters don't care about any facts or his many crimes, so you'll never manage to convince them. Instead, you have to attack his fragile ego and let him hang himself. Mock him, don't give him any respect or control he so craves. State what you would do, but pounce on every failing of his until he melts down. The goal is the make everyone outside of right wing media cult see just what a complete rear end he is and imagine the horror of such as fool becoming the most powerful individual on Earth.

Yeah she needs a "proceed governor" or a "we have fewer bayonets" moment where she is able to dunk on him without directly insulting him causing him to either meltdown or be thrown off entirely.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

axe_vendetta posted:

Fox could move to the center and Trump's supposedly in-the-works White Nationalist Network could become the new right wing megaphone.
Fox isn't moving to the center. They have the following demo on lock-down: "easily-duped credulous rich old people" That is the most-attractive market imaginable, and they can push literally anything on them they want, and they'll lap it up and pay for the opportunity. There is no "center" to appeal to; "right-wing but still operating in reality" is held by CNN, and MSNBC staked out "center-right." In the same way the gradual rightward shift of the Dems has pushed Republicans to the brink, FOX has the same bitter pill to swallow.

Trump News will siphon their base for a bit, but is just a blip/feeder source, like Breitbart, remaining too toxic for mainstream car and finance ads.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/768167099650965504

Man if the republicans ran Literally Anybody Else Hilldawg would be toast

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Fox isn't moving to the center. They have the following demo on lock-down: "easily-duped credulous rich old people" That is the most-attractive market imaginable, and they can push literally anything on them they want, and they'll lap it up and pay for the opportunity. There is no "center" to appeal to; "right-wing but still operating in reality" is held by CNN, and MSNBC staked out "center-right." In the same way the gradual rightward shift of the Dems has pushed Republicans to the brink, FOX has the same bitter pill to swallow.

Trump News will siphon their base for a bit, but is just a blip/feeder source, like Breitbart, remaining too toxic for mainstream car and finance ads.

A Trump News network would be perfect for payday loan stores though!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Haha gently caress this dumb rear end in a top hat, if you're a STEM graduate student you probably work with a ton of dangerous substances and equipment. I spent six years working with corrosive, toxic, and carcinogenic chemicals most every day. One of my good friends lost two fingers to a cable doing field research.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don't be silly.

Dems still have over 2 months to gently caress up the easiest election win in history. :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't see how this means anything unless they can prove quid pro quo. Wouldn't people with access to her be part of the class inclined to donate to the Clinton Foundation anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Luigi Thirty posted:

Nah, JEB would still have been crushed. https://theintercept.com/2016/08/03/chinese-couple-million-dollar-donation-jeb-bush-super-pac/

Rubio would have been scary until they hammer the point home that he basically just skipped work as a Senator.

Kaisch might have been scary though.

• Locked thread