Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Deified Data posted:

It's weird how there's like nothing on the internet about Gorst. The top search result is a reddit thread asking "who is Helman Gorst?"

Why this guy, of all people? Does he even have a presence in the tabletop?

He's from the Sigmar's Blood campaign that the regiments are also from, and the main Vamp antagonist for that campaign, Mannfred, is already in so they obviously couldn't make him the LL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Free Comany, muthafuckas!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Deified Data posted:

It's weird how there's like nothing on the internet about Gorst. The top search result is a reddit thread asking "who is Helman Gorst?"

Why this guy, of all people? Does he even have a presence in the tabletop?

He's part of the Sigmar's Blood campaign, as one of the "named" characters. He's nothing special
Helman Ghorst - 225 points.
Lvl 2 Necromancer, Cursed Book, Corpse Cart. His corpse cart is S4 instead of S3. Woo

He's level 2. So he's a Hero. Like, the regular Necromancers you recruit and then part in Sylvania to boost income? He's that guy, not even a Lord.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You people and your dumbshit 'caring' about non-Empire or Dwarf armies.

Who gives a gently caress who Gorst is, he's there to be run the gently caress over by demigryphs or blown up with a cannon.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Who gives a poo poo, where are my elves

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

peer posted:

That wouldn't make any sense. It's definitely Vlad.

That would be awesome, Vlad's the best vampire (except maybe Neferata, who we'll never get.)

e:Oh, okay. We get Vlad in the patch, and the other two in the DLC.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 23, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So what will Vlad's role be in theory? Melee master?

And lmao at the Codex Creep already setting in.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Gejnor posted:

Ever seen nightgoblins just appear out of nowhere, almost right on top of you? Thats Stalk..

Yes but in a battle, if I used Ungor Herd for example, and I vanguard placed them on the sides of the map to make a box for the enemy army, how do the mechanics of detection work? How can I use them to be back flankers effectively? Is there a detection range?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Yes but in a battle, if I used Ungor Herd for example, and I vanguard placed them on the sides of the map to make a box for the enemy army, how do the mechanics of detection work? How can I use them to be back flankers effectively? Is there a detection range?

If they have Stalk, the enemy cannot see them until slightly longer than standard archer range. Even if they are in the open, charging across an empty plain towards a hill where the enemy is encamped, they will not be visible. This lets you effectively create a box by putting stalking units on the sides and rear via vanguard, and then moving them to just outside detection range. Once the main lines clash, you can move them in to get nice flank and rear charges against a tied up enemy

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

wiegieman posted:

That would be awesome, Vlad's the best vampire (except maybe Neferata, who we'll never get.)

e:Oh, okay. We get Vlad in the patch, and the other two in the DLC.

The red duke would be rad for a different start position over by brets.

also its weird that the empire has so much more and better calvary than the calvary focused faction :v:

Zasze fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 23, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Ghorst seems like just a footnote. This is all the information I could find on him when he was announced.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a map that identifies where Pigbarter is?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Kainser posted:

Yeah the Beastmen DLC has made me insanely impatient for more factions. I demand my goddamn Skaven and S&M Elves and more Tzeentch (gently caress Khorne) and Hippie Elves and Ogres.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Kainser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNd5sOZSkH4

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ok so Vlad's thing is apparently everyone has Vanguard deployment all the time? Jesus christ, can you imagine Blood Knights, Terrorgheists, Vargheists, Varghulfs, etc. with loving vanguard deployment? Every army ever would just get wrecked instantly, god drat.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Ok so Vlad's thing is apparently everyone has Vanguard deployment all the time? Jesus christ, can you imagine Blood Knights, Terrorgheists, Vargheists, Varghulfs, etc. with loving vanguard deployment? Every army ever would just get wrecked instantly, god drat.

And it doesn't even fit him that much! Vlad was the diplomat, the corruptor (by comparison). He should get diplomacy penalties and corruption osmosis or something, not super sneaky deployment

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Maybe the launch patch will change existing LLs to have campaign passive bonuses that are less poo poo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gonkish posted:

Yes, and it makes me giggle shamefully. I already use tons of wolves for their vanguard deployment (and because they're so fast god drat), this would let me replace them with Blood Knights or Black Knights with lances.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I think the other guy giving his entire army poison attacks might be even more dumb. Meanwhile battle-pope makes flagellants a bit better, ~Balance~

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Where we're going we don't need balance"

- Games Workshop Creative Assembly

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey atleast the Flagellants have Physical Resistance so they won't be Slayer Bad, infact they may be quite nuts for a melee unit come to think on it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Kaza42 posted:

If they have Stalk, the enemy cannot see them until slightly longer than standard archer range. Even if they are in the open, charging across an empty plain towards a hill where the enemy is encamped, they will not be visible. This lets you effectively create a box by putting stalking units on the sides and rear via vanguard, and then moving them to just outside detection range. Once the main lines clash, you can move them in to get nice flank and rear charges against a tied up enemy

I'm guessing there's no space bar detection check list for this. (At work, can't check for another 5 hours when I put the kidlets to bed).

This would be handy because that vanguard deployment would Fuuuck some shiiiit up for a relatively weak unit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anything new and exciting about the new knights chapter? Are they really going to do all of them?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

There's no way Vlad can deploy his entire army vanguard without impunity, right? I mean the big weakness of VC is that they have no ranged units, so being able to start them twenty yards away from the enemy line seems...extreme.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hi CA please make more ORC mini campaigns, unit DLCs, renown units and inflatable dolls tia

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mans posted:

hi CA please make more ORC mini campaigns, unit DLCs, renown units and inflatable dolls tia

New mini campaign! Grom the Paunch invades Ulthuan! Inflatable dolls as loot included, 13,99$, dead elves for free!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Just had my match against Asmodai_00

First Match: He played Beastmen against my Empire. Suuuper close one here, came down to the wire. My steam tank proved the MVP, tying up units while the rest of my army moved their asses. I didn't target the Net very well, so he got off some good harassment with chaos hounds, and those Cygors were eternal pains in my side.
Second Match: He played Dwarfs against my Chaos. I took more artillery than him (2 hellcannons to 1 cannon), and was able to lay a trap around the center hill. My hellcannons devastated his elite infantry before the lines clashed around the middle, and Sarthoreal pulled his weight with some nice Hounds.

All in all well fought. I'm learning better micro I think, and my Chaos Knights fared far better than my cavalry in the last round.

End Result, I won 2-0

Replays:
https://mega.nz/#!GRxVBQzI!QnHY7mhCxOkiDzvxvzXpzhaF15XVSqroZOK9X_6ggzk

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

genericnick posted:

Anything new and exciting about the new knights chapter? Are they really going to do all of them?

The Order of the Blazing Sun is based out of Talabecland but is popular in the lands of Estalia as they worship the Estalian goddess Myrmida. Big :shrug: as far as mechanics go, but based on the fluff they're expert tacticians and personally I'd give them an encouraging aura.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

Just had my match against Asmodai_00

First Match: He played Beastmen against my Empire. Suuuper close one here, came down to the wire. My steam tank proved the MVP, tying up units while the rest of my army moved their asses. I didn't target the Net very well, so he got off some good harassment with chaos hounds, and those Cygors were eternal pains in my side.
Second Match: He played Dwarfs against my Chaos. I took more artillery than him (2 hellcannons to 1 cannon), and was able to lay a trap around the center hill. My hellcannons devastated his elite infantry before the lines clashed around the middle, and Sarthoreal pulled his weight with some nice Hounds.

All in all well fought. I'm learning better micro I think, and my Chaos Knights fared far better than my cavalry in the last round.

End Result, I won 2-0

Replays:
https://mega.nz/#!GRxVBQzI!QnHY7mhCxOkiDzvxvzXpzhaF15XVSqroZOK9X_6ggzk

Both of my matches had me literally going "oh poo poo I forgot about x" and then x causing me issues the entire match :v:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Triskelli posted:

The Order of the Blazing Sun is based out of Talabecland but is popular in the lands of Estalia as they worship the Estalian goddess Myrmida. Big :shrug: as far as mechanics go, but based on the fluff they're expert tacticians and personally I'd give them an encouraging aura.

They get magic resistance and flaming attacks according to the Steam page description.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

There's no way Vlad can deploy his entire army vanguard without impunity, right? I mean the big weakness of VC is that they have no ranged units, so being able to start them twenty yards away from the enemy line seems...extreme.

In Shogun 2 the faction that was able to do that had their entire unit roster made more expensive to compensate so I'm guessing in this, since it only applies to his army, they just made his unit more expensive (generals have variable costs in this). Overall that probably means slower early growth and a longer period of using cheaper units. By the time it'd become super busted you'd have already super busted the game anyway regardless of lord pick.

edit: I imagine the poison lord is balanced similarly. I mean, it's possible CA just made them really unbalanced but given how they've treated that sort of thing in the past I can only imagine they balanced it through unit cost, this time via the general's own cost.

Decus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 24, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The skills are also pretty high up in their trees, so it is not something they should have in the campaign from the get go.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
From the description given on the DLC page Ghorst has poison armies by default. Is there any reason to think Vlad's thing won't be the same?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm really expecting them to release the DLC with the added stuff as somewhat overpowered to attract people, then nerf the hell out of them in a subsequent patch.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I doubt Poison Lord is going to be quite that big a deal in MP, rolling with a squishy grounded Necromancer Lord takes away from a lot of traditional vampire strategies, and the upgrade itself is probably going to cost a good chunk of change to add on in MP. Plus a lot of good Vamp units already have poison, so whatever.

That said, it sounds to me like CA is using this DLC to experiment with giving Legendary Lords campaign bonuses that effect the battle map, as opposed to the vanilla game, where a bunch of lords get reduced upkeep bonuses but not anything that makes them actually better at using certain types of units. Volkmar also gets a campaign bonus that boosts flaggelants in combat, so it's something all three new lords have in common.

It's along the same lines as making the Gorebull a baller unit buffing hero on the battlefield instead of a generic tank with a long list of marginally useful campaign abilities.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Question: is it Literally loving Impossible to keep tribes subjugated as Chaos? Not that it really matters, I made a net profit and assloads of experience, but I eventually just gave the hell up and skipped to Step Two, Burn Kislev.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Did you remember to invade and subjugate immediately after you awaken a new tribe? Truly subjugated tribes will never turn on you or each other.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm hoping that CA revisits some of the old heroes and agents eventually and makes them a bit more interesting (like the Gorebull).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think I'm the only one with 180+ hours in the game who still plays on normal.

I beat the Greenskin VH campaign but I autoresolved my way through it because I expected a defeat that never came and didn't want to waste my time if I wiped. Honestly I think that's it - I enjoy curbstomping the map more than I enjoy being challenged by it. I wish I were more patient. Someone gave me the advice of starting on VH and forgetting it so it feels fair, but it constantly nags me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Krazyface posted:

Did you remember to invade and subjugate immediately after you awaken a new tribe? Truly subjugated tribes will never turn on you or each other.

I did, and then they seceded within a couple turns when I went to go and stomp on... well, usually the Skaelings, who were the northern superpower. Kholek spent most of his employment running in circles around the north, in hopes that the problem was my unreliable status and if only I subjugated them one more time they'd join the team, colonize the ruins, and send forces south against the realms of man.

It didn't work.

Krazyface posted:

Truly subjugated tribes will never turn on you or each other.

Filthy lies. So filthy that I wonder, are you secretly a Nurglist trying to chip away at Sigvald's achievements?

(I've also had vassals secede as dorfs and vampires, so)

Extra edit: on the other hand, Karl Franz and his 3/4 stack fled into the far north after I burned the Empire, and the last battle of the campaign was one of my awakened, mutliply-subjugated, hostile tribes hitting him in the head with a rock right in front of me. So I can't really complain.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 24, 2016

• Locked thread