Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I still don't understand how people like a comic about the main character always getting screwed over by everyone.

Isn't that the premise of Game of Thrones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How many years did Peanuts run?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So, uh, you done frantically packing and shipping there, Kaz?

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, uh, you done frantically packing and shipping there, Kaz?

Not quite yet, but I'm close. International shipping is basically the worst. Russia in particular changed their shipping rules recently and now it costs like $60 to send a 2lb package.

But on the bright side, I've at least learned a lot about how this stuff works. I now feel like I can be marginally less-critical of people who just merchandise via Redbubble.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Man. Reading through this, at one point I thought "woah, I've still got three years left of a five year archive!" Turns out I was almost done.

I mean, no hard feelings, time flies weirdly sometimes. And a free, well-told (partial) story is still a sweet thing. But geez. I had to go back and check: a year ago today, Katia had already fought the imp, while the first year of the comic covered everything up through the encounter with Sigrid. As someone who just finished reading everything (in a few sittings), that's hard to wrap my head around. I dunno if the need to get continually fancier became too much of a slowing factor, or the author shifted focus to other things, or what? (And I see that some merchandise thing apparently explains the last seven months.)

Well, it was a good read. Expertly heart-wrenching. I'll probably check back in a few years instead of adding it to my RSS, though.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 19, 2016

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
please update

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

please update

You are well named, forums poster who teases the rest of us with a new post.

In all seriousness, maybe Kaz needs to step away from Katia a bit and do more side stories. Precede and Dodger were put together pretty quickly and are great little stories in their own right. I'd be happy to see Prequel focus on more than just Katia.

Just, you know, get Kvatch done first.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In all seriousness, maybe Kaz needs to step away from Katia a bit and do more
well they certainly can't do less

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I made a post about this

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Squeegy posted:

I made a post about this

We're very proud of you.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

thanks

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So, Kazerad has started a GIF contest.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I cannot believe people paid sixty thousand dollars for merchandise of this comic, only to have the creator pull the exact same poo poo homestuck did and waste any semblance of hype or momentum the comic had by staggering updates further and further apart until straight up not updating for nearly a year. You'd think maybe a person would try to find ways to avoid making the same mistakes as the thing they're emulating, but nah full speed ahead I guess

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is this comic dead or what?
I haven't checked but I bet if i went back one page I asked the same question.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is this comic dead or what?
I haven't checked but I bet if i went back one page I asked the same question.

It's not dead, I just embarked on two very complex things at once.

One, obviously, was the crowdfunding (see Wrist Watch's post: this is apparently a very popular thing to underestimate the difficulty of). The other is my attempt to make an update using a different style, which I thought would be easier than the normal style, but has apparently taken a year. But hey, live and learn. Or if not learn, at least provide an example of what Not To Do that others can learn from.

I don't think the hiatus is excusable and I should've known better than to make the logistical mistakes that led to it. At this point, though, I'm almost done with the overly-complex update that's been holding stuff up, so I figure I'll just finish that and continue onward as though there haven't been entire humans made in the time since I last posted content.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sounds like it was a good learning experience at least!

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of software do you use to animate?

I've messed around with animating in GIMP, but even with third party plugins it's a bit of a hassle.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You're not looking for Voice actors, are you? The seasons' died off and I'd be happy to do a freebie to stay in practice.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ThaumPenguin posted:

at this point he will have finished restoring an original Disney multiplane camera so he doesn't need to use software at all, hence the wait

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wrist Watch posted:

I cannot believe people paid sixty thousand dollars for merchandise of this comic, only to have the creator pull the exact same poo poo homestuck did and waste any semblance of hype or momentum the comic had by staggering updates further and further apart until straight up not updating for nearly a year. You'd think maybe a person would try to find ways to avoid making the same mistakes as the thing they're emulating, but nah full speed ahead I guess

Bro, come on, give him some credit. He was making those mistakes way before Hussie did.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Squeegy posted:

Bro, come on, give him some credit. He was making those mistakes way before Hussie did.

Time is a flat circle.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I keep forgetting this exists and then the thread updates.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

atomicthumbs posted:

at this point he will have finished restoring an original Disney multiplane camera so he doesn't need to use software at all, hence the wait

God, I wish. It's even worse: I'm doing some things that involve rotoscoping. It's apparently one of those techniques that seems like it's going to save a ton of work, and then you realize why nobody has done it since 1980.

@WarpedNaba: Thanks, but I'm good! I don't use VAs that much, and I have the ones I need.

@Squeegy: Thank you, I'm glad someone appreciates all the hard work I do in the noble pursuit of loving up.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Sounds like it was a good learning experience at least!

I've messed around with animating in GIMP, but even with third party plugins it's a bit of a hassle.

For simple things I mostly use GraphicsGale! It's a bit stripped down and mainly built for low-fi sprite animation, but has an easy interface and some gif-specific frame control options a lot of similar software lacks.

Anything more complex than that and you probably want Photoshop or Flash though. Or what's it now, Animate CC?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

New thread posts prompted me to go re-read Dodger; it is still super good and funny. I remain quietly vigilant for more Prequel.

You have a whole 71 days before you've managed to horribly neglect the main comic for a full year; if you can get your groove back with a big flashy update by then and commit to some kind of regular update schedule, even if it's once a month (or per fortnight? Baby steps I guess) so you can build up a backlog of content, then by God you will have something that is not quite success but definitely walking firmly in the opposite direction of failure!

Edit: By backlog I mean maybe side-stories or getting ahead on animated/interactive segments, plus the parts of updates that you know you're going to make and can easily find a user comment to match it with in needed.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 20, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kazerad how does it feel to be less productive than aaron diaz

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

kazerad how does it feel to be less productive than aaron diaz

:drat:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Didn't Homestuck eventually finish? Let's give him a couple more years

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
hey, Kaz. Update the loving comic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Counterpoint: Don't. Let it slip quietly into that good night.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Counterpoint: Don't. Let it slip quietly into that good night.

This would be fine, but if prequel has to continue, how about 12 straight updates that are nothing but pictures and text? No gimmicks, no prizes, no contests, no cartoons, just publish.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

This would be fine, but if prequel has to continue, how about 12 straight updates that are nothing but pictures and text? No gimmicks, no prizes, no contests, no cartoons, just publish.

Nope, once the bar has been raised, you're not only stuck there, you have to keep repeatedly raising the bar forever. That's just basic storytelling mechanics.

If something isn't getting continually more elaborate, then it's bad and shouldn't exist. But as complexity increases, it eventually becomes unsustainable, *and* unfulfilling to keep up with. That is the basic paradox that proves it's actually impossible to tell a good story, and in fact impossible to tell a story.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 23, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you want to raise the bar how bout doing it by not writing videogame furry hurt-comfort fanfiction

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ditocoaf posted:

Nope, once the bar has been raised, you're not only stuck there, you have to keep repeatedly raising the bar forever. That's just basic storytelling mechanics.

If something isn't getting continually more elaborate, then it's bad and shouldn't exist. But as complexity increases, it eventually becomes unsustainable, *and* unfulfilling to keep up with. That is the basic paradox that proves it's actually impossible to tell a good story, and in fact impossible to tell a story.

The sad thing is that so many of the writers and artists I know get stuck in this mentality.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jackard posted:

I keep forgetting this exists and then the thread updates.
Yeah, I had just gotten finished being disappointed by like four different video games, put this out of mind entirely, and suddenly it appears in my bookmarks again

also fwiw i don't care for the multimedia updates cause they don't load on my tablet comic reader :effort:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dresden codak has updated again, during which time the sad internet breastcat has languished in obscurity. will you let this stand, kazerad?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I would really prefer dropping all the multimedia stuff and just going with text and pictures/gifs from here on out, *especially* if that is what's causing the delays between updates.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You'll take those interactables over my loving corpse.

The sporadic update schedule is nothing that can't be fixed with better time management, planning ahead more effectively and sitting your rear end down and working on your god drat comic.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I couldn't care less about interactables. Just continue the god drat story.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Homestuck ended before Katia snuck into the mage guild

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You'll take those interactables over my loving corpse.

Challenge... accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Normal Adult Human posted:

Homestuck ended before Katia snuck into the mage guild

Katia died the first time she went into the mage guild. This is just a dream she had in her last moments of consciousness, slowly stretching out into eternity

• Locked thread