Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

Got my 1070 so I'm finally able to play this on the rift. Wow, its absolutely insane. A little tough to use the galaxy map though, has anyone else made your joystick be able to go through the map? It seems very difficult to use in VR.

Nope it's awful in VR and your only option is to either use the search box and bookmarks, or turn off VR mode (options -> Graphics -> 3D Mode None) and do what you need to do then switch back. The good news is you can switch between 2D and VR without restarting the game or even reloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Main Paineframe posted:

The point of mines against the AI is to destroy your pursuer - they don't slow down or try to dodge at all, they just plow into mine after mine until they're dead. If you don't care about that and just want to mess with their pursuit, use shock mines - or, even better, just don't bother with them at all, since messing about with mines just delays your escape. It's really not worth doing the engineer grind for if you just want to keep NPCs off your butt.

I would add that it IS worth it to add lightweight mount to your mine launchers to shave off weight. And killing mission spawned/cargo spawned NPCs does make them gently caress off for like an hour, so it is worth it to kill them. Also it's never not funny:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Nope it's awful in VR and your only option is to either use the search box and bookmarks, or turn off VR mode (options -> Graphics -> 3D Mode None) and do what you need to do then switch back. The good news is you can switch between 2D and VR without restarting the game or even reloading.

It is possible to navigate the galaxy map with the joystick, although it's pretty slow and you need a lot of axes/hats. Using the mouse is completely hosed though.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Rectus posted:

It is possible to navigate the galaxy map with the joystick, although it's pretty slow and you need a lot of axes/hats. Using the mouse is completely hosed though.

I could never get it to work right with the joystick, it never wants to select what I want it to, but instead some random star thousands of LY ahead or behind it. So, yeah. Just switch to 2D mode real quick and then do what you need to do then switch back.

Edit:

:siren: ENGINEERING GUIDE UPDATE :siren:

I've added a brief primer on mining because you need to dig spacerocks to unlock an engineer. It's by no means comprehensive but if you follow it you'll get what you need to unlock the armor upgrade Engineer.

I also added a chapter on materials and which ones you should keep no matter what, and which ones you can safely dispose of since there's a bunch that have literally no use whatsoever.

Coming up next is a section outlining what ships share what modules. Like did you know that the Asp Explorer, the Vulture, and the FdL all share the same class thrusters? That means you can swap an upgraded module between them as needed.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 23, 2016

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I could never get it to work right with the joystick, it never wants to select what I want it to, but instead some random star thousands of LY ahead or behind it. So, yeah. Just switch to 2D mode real quick and then do what you need to do then switch back.

You have to zoom in until the blue markers with vertical bars appear, and if you use the translation controls to center the cursor on the marker it will pop up the menu for the right star. Works every time.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

Got my 1070 so I'm finally able to play this on the rift. Wow, its absolutely insane. A little tough to use the galaxy map though, has anyone else made your joystick be able to go through the map? It seems very difficult to use in VR.

Do you mean in general or in the special case of joystick in VR? I've done the former, and it works pretty well — hell, it's more reliable in terms of keeping a system focused than using mouse + kb. I To make it work well, though, you kind of need 6 different axes, not all of them analogue.

My setup is joystick x/y to dolly the camera x/y, with a switch to make it a z-axis dolly instead; rotation is bound to a hat and zooming is bound to another. That hat also skips left/right through the map submenues, while a a third hat does the usual selection of system actions (select, path to, system map etc). It works pretty well, if a bit bit slowly, but as mentioned it's actually more precise and reliable than not using the joystick.

…now how well that works in VR, I can't answer. :v:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Edit:

I've added a brief primer on mining because you need to dig spacerocks to unlock an engineer. It's by no means comprehensive but if you follow it you'll get what you need to unlock the armor upgrade Engineer.

I also added a chapter on materials and which ones you should keep no matter what, and which ones you can safely dispose of since there's a bunch that have literally no use whatsoever.

Coming up next is a section outlining what ships share what modules. Like did you know that the Asp Explorer, the Vulture, and the FdL all share the same class thrusters? That means you can swap an upgraded module between them as needed.

Your guide is excellent. I'm at the mining section right now. You put a lot of time into this.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

They were talking about 7 ships being able to carry fighter bays, I think. So you're missing one. But I have no idea which one of the other ships is the missing one, sadly. :shrug:

It's the Type 9.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I would add that it IS worth it to add lightweight mount to your mine launchers to shave off weight. And killing mission spawned/cargo spawned NPCs does make them gently caress off for like an hour, so it is worth it to kill them. Also it's never not funny:

Once i was on the way to do some mining, and got interdicted by an NPC that was glitched, and never opened fire on me, but just followed me around threatening me in various ways. So i laughed, and jumped away, and then he interdicted me again, and did the same thing. So i jumped again, and made it to the ring, and the same NPC dropped in after me...and followed me around for an hour while I mined, constantly threatening me, but never shooting. It kind of felt like i made an angry space friend :v:

edit: and then when i left the ring, the game crashed.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Pilchenstein posted:

You're a true connoisseur. :v:

This article has a couple of things about fighters that I didn't see mentioned in the thread: fighters have two equipment slots (one weapon, one utility) so you can customise loadout to some extent and also a pilot's pay is reduced if they reached their current combat rank while in your employ. So if you hire a Mostly Harmless guy, he'll take a bigger cut of your earnings than if you hire a Harmless guy and let him kill the 4 sidewinders he needs to get promoted. I imagine the differences are pretty negligible but it's a nice touch.

If fighters really are just cooldown based - why the hell isn't everything ammo based also working on that system? It's far more enjoyable and makes balancing ammo using weapons easy. And they wouldn't have to resort to one of the balancing factors being "annoy players".

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

When I was streaming with VR I had to take the helmet off and use the map from my mirrored window rather than try to use it with the hat on.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Libluini posted:

They were talking about 7 ships being able to carry fighter bays, I think. So you're missing one. But I have no idea which one of the other ships is the missing one, sadly. :shrug:

The T9 can take one as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLvVqRPVSWI

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
When Rifting I settled on kb+m for the map along with heavy use of starting the map from mission screens and such when possible so it starts up pointing where I want to go. Defaults wasd and qrf or whatever else can't remember offhand, between those and the mouse it didn't take long for me to get the hang of navigating ok. Either open map from mission screen or use the search box to get to the target or close, then mouse for zoom and drag to get closer, and left hand kb controls to move around using the target dot/grid deal to settle on the target. Sometimes have to hold a then d for half a second to re-point or do some headlooking back and forth to deal with jank.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
My problem is it simply will not lock the reticule onto a star. It's entirely useless in VR.

Moosepickle
Nov 29, 2015

I was cured, all right!
Hey everyone!

Been a while since I posted here, but we are still recruiting for the Adamant Toads.

So if you are casual, or your friends are and you wanted a public atmosphere to hang out in, hop on over to our discord server and introduce yourself!

https://discord.gg/eRPH9Wh

Moosepickle fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 5, 2017

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

My problem is it simply will not lock the reticule onto a star. It's entirely useless in VR.

That's some of the jank where I zoom way in and kind of jiggle it back and forth using the wasd(fr?) keys to get the reticle on the dot for it using the grid, then once it's highlighted I think I pull the hotas trigger to select it to not have to deal with cursor weirdness. Like the search box may go to the star but not highlight it, so I keyboard move it off and back on to re-highlight. It's not great and took some fiddling around, but of the routes I read people have gone for dealing with the map that works for me

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I just want to add my thanks for you doing this - it's greatly appreciated. I recommend adding a link to it on every post you make about the subject, though.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So goons I need some advice. I want to start playing Elite again but it has been ages. My flight stick is in a dusty box and I sold my Track IR cause I didn't need it for Arma. I'm coming back with the keyboard and an xbox controller. Can you fine folks swing some goon tips to me to help me do, uh, things?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I just spent the evening re-learning and re-mapping my flight stick. Game is still pretty. Big Harry's is still a great Monkey Hideout.

Then I deployed my weapons outside of the safe zone and tripped a circuit breaker or something. Everything died. I think one of the intervening patches may have adjusted how much power my weapons, etc. draw? Dunno.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SquadronROE posted:

I just spent the evening re-learning and re-mapping my flight stick. Game is still pretty. Big Harry's is still a great Monkey Hideout.

Then I deployed my weapons outside of the safe zone and tripped a circuit breaker or something. Everything died. I think one of the intervening patches may have adjusted how much power my weapons, etc. draw? Dunno.

Adjust the priority on your modules to put non-essential stuff (fuel scoop, planetary lander, etc) on level 4/5, so it turns off when you deploy, with weapons on level 3 and the good stuff on 1/2. Or get a bigger power plant. But it probably just reset your priorities between patches.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
How well do missiles do versus shields now? I was thinking of throwing a bunch of missile launchers onto my Asp-E that I use to fly around and gather poo poo for engineers for the hell of it in case I get interdicted but I don't know how well that'd work against shields.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Pro-tip, unless you are in a combat ship: always submit to interdiction and put 4 pips into shields. Your FSD will recharge in ~5s and you can just low-wake out and with 4 pips, your shields have something like 2.3x the EHP. If it's an anaconda or something big, high wake to avoid the mass disruption.

Honestly though, for NPCs it doesn't really matter. Put on whatever you think is fun and you should be fine, just don't try to punch above your weight. :ese:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NuckmasterJ posted:

So goons I need some advice. I want to start playing Elite again but it has been ages. My flight stick is in a dusty box and I sold my Track IR cause I didn't need it for Arma. I'm coming back with the keyboard and an xbox controller. Can you fine folks swing some goon tips to me to help me do, uh, things?

I fly with kb+m, it's fine. Any control method works as long as it has enough buttons.

Insert name here posted:

How well do missiles do versus shields now? I was thinking of throwing a bunch of missile launchers onto my Asp-E that I use to fly around and gather poo poo for engineers for the hell of it in case I get interdicted but I don't know how well that'd work against shields.

Use mines

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I'm not asking if it's a good idea or whatever I'm asking because the last time I used missiles they literally did 0 (zero) damage to shields and I want to know if post-buff they're now capable of brute forcing through shields or if I should still take a laser or two with me

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Insert name here posted:

I'm not asking if it's a good idea or whatever I'm asking because the last time I used missiles they literally did 0 (zero) damage to shields and I want to know if post-buff they're now capable of brute forcing through shields or if I should still take a laser or two with me

Missiles do respectable damage to Shields and they do amazing damage to ships when their shields are down. This is because they destroy any external modules like thrusters or weapons or what have you.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played in a longass while and it's my understanding that robigo is gone(?) now. what's the best way to make dollars to grind out fittings for a corvette.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Has the madness left me now that I'm back in the bubble, or are the dots gone?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Missiles do respectable damage to Shields and they do amazing damage to ships when their shields are down. This is because they destroy any external modules like thrusters or weapons or what have you.

Ive been toying aroudn with the idea of some kind of missile barge.
First strike torpedoes for stripping shields in one go (that mod that directly damages the generator) and then missiles for power plant.
Dont know what would be a good carrier though.
Gunship maybe?

On the matter of gunships, anyone else notice how federation ships are terminally suicidal since engineers?
Their main attack pattern seems to be ramming me to death at all cost. I mean makes sense, theyre hull tanks, but i still think if you got weapons you should use weapons instead of your face.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Right, the FDL doesn't have the cargo needed for cargo drones (because fuuuck manual pickup)

Someone build me a decent non-pimped python I can use to grind up engineers please.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

Right, the FDL doesn't have the cargo needed for cargo drones (because fuuuck manual pickup)

Someone build me a decent non-pimped python I can use to grind up engineers please.

you can use one of the size 4 to fit a 16-cargo rack which you fill with limpets for your size 1 controller.
Thats the way i did it, most of the stuff you need for engineers isnt "cargo" but "materials" which go into your 1000-space cloud storage.
Once your limpets are all gone you have 16 cargo to go buy the commodities that actually do take up space.

First order of business should be a T5 FSD upgrade.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

Over time I became so good at manual pickup, I now only take limpets if I plan on doing mass-pickups with multiple drones, like when I go mining. This is because I am far too impatient to sit around and wait for my 1 drone to pick up stuff.

Of course I can imagine the need to pick up stuff can be really annoying if you like combat and are suddenly forced to stop fighting to slowly fly around drifting wreckage. Too bad most combat ships are really bad about that additional cargo space you need. :v:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah thanks. I guess I worried too much about making it tanks enough/have enough fuel. Since its range is poo poo. Well that and trying to find a balance of weapons I like. The 2m mc/2m burst and huge ac build is pretty nice though.

Edit, it's been forever since I hosed with limpets , what's the trick to keep them picking up poo poo and not instantly expiring once they deliver 1 item?

Thronde fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 24, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

Edit, it's been forever since I hosed with limpets , what's the trick to keep them picking up poo poo and not instantly expiring once they deliver 1 item?

Do not have anything targeted. As long as you just vomit them out without anything targeted, they will just automatically pick up everything in range. They will also follow your ship around to continue picking up everything, so if their range is too low thanks to you being a cheapskate when buying the controller, just fly a bit closer and they'll dutifully follow you.

Edit:

Having a prospector-limpet targeted to know what you are mining doesn't count, but sometimes it suddenly does and wastes half a dozen limpets until the game remembers its proper behaviour. But I guess as long as you don't mine you don't need to care about this.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 24, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

Ah thanks. I guess I worried too much about making it tanks enough/have enough fuel. Since its range is poo poo. Well that and trying to find a balance of weapons I like. The 2m mc/2m burst and huge ac build is pretty nice though.

Im running my FDL with 4 medium beams (gimbal cause im poo poo at maneuvering and healing mod for wing actions) and a Huuuuuge Multicannon Penis Extender T5 overcharge with corrosive.
Besides shooting BLUE SHELLS it does amazing, and i mean loving amazing, damage once the shields are down.
We are talking about 4-5% per shot off a python.

If you dont plan on wing action you could go for something more useful on the lasers, but then they might not be green with twirls, which is a major downside.

Also one of my size 4 compartments is an A4 fuel scoop. I wouldnt do engineer stuff without that. When im flying around i use the size 2 for additional fuel which helps immeasurably, and only exchange it for a vehicle bay once im in/near the system i need to buggy.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 24, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
How the gently caress did you fit it with 4 beams and still have power for poo poo else, also I really need to grind up healing beams it seems because that sounds awesome. They rep shields I assume?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

How the gently caress did you fit it with 4 beams and still have power for poo poo else, also I really need to grind up healing beams it seems because that sounds awesome. They rep shields I assume?

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer%27s_weapon_special_effects
http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

Im running A5 prismatics and 3 A0 shield boosters (2x +100% and one +thermal for 100% bonus). Having an A-class power core is mandatory of course.
Also Rank 1 power core upgrade is up to 11% more power. Going for T5 next.
Key is, almost all modifications can roll pretty random secondary effects, like -power draw. Get lucky on some and youre set. My fsd has it, my shield mod has it, i think even my distributor rolled it or something. Im at 99% usage with hardpoints deployed and jus tthe cargorack on prio 2.

My beams all have T1 Lightweight just for fitting the exp.mod which i bought 3 times and rolled 1 time.

Theres 2 kinds of heal-beams, one that directly "heals" the shield of a wingman (dont try to heal the cops), and one that buffs the shields regenerating abilities. Again, wingman.
I think direct heal is better though.
If you just want the experimental mods, drop 15 T1 recipes to get to rank 3 and the roll lightweight and buy the experiment of choice for -2 rank.
Do this 4 times and youre set. Bring 60 iron nickel to drop on useless recipes you will simply dismiss and reroll and some phosphor for the lightweights.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 24, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Work is getting stressful, so coming home, throwing on a podcast and doing Sothis runs sounds pretty divine to me right now.

I stopped last time around the introduction of Engineers. Has there been any other noteworthy changes since then? Missions still completely broken?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer%27s_weapon_special_effects
http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

Im running A5 prismatics and 3 A0 shield boosters (2x +100% and one +thermal for 100% bonus). Having an A-class power core is mandatory of course.
Also Rank 1 power core upgrade is up to 11% more power. Going for T5 next.
Key is, almost all modifications can roll pretty random secondary effects, like -power draw. Get lucky on some and youre set. My fsd has it, my shield mod has it, i think even my distributor rolled it or something. Im at 99% usage with hardpoints deployed and jus tthe cargorack on prio 2.

My beams all have T1 Lightweight just for fitting the exp.mod which i bought 3 times and rolled 1 time.

Theres 2 kinds of heal-beams, one that directly "heals" the shield of a wingman (dont try to heal the cops), and one that buffs the shields regenerating abilities. Again, wingman.
I think direct heal is better though.
If you just want the experimental mods, drop 15 T1 recipes to get to rank 3 and the roll lightweight and buy the experiment of choice for -2 rank.
Do this 4 times and youre set. Bring 60 iron nickel to drop on useless recipes you will simply dismiss and reroll and some phosphor for the lightweights.

Honestly, most of this was way over my head at the moment, but now I have a direction to go. Sadly I've only unlocked T1 stuff with the Multicannon engineer, so I have :work: ahead of me.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Short breakdown:

1 lvl X recipe at Rank X = 34% xp
1 lvl X recipe at rank X+1 = 9% xp
1 lvl X recipe at rank X+2 = 2% xp

So at rank 1 with blaster, doing 3 lvl 1 recipes ranks you up to 2.
Now you can either do 3 recipes lvl2 to rank him up to 3, or ~12 recipes level 1 (lvl1 performed at rank2 giv2 9% each).

At Engineer rank 3 you can either
do roughly 50 lvl1 recipes (about 2% each, maybe less)
do 12 lvl 2 recipes (9% each)
do 3 lvl 3 recipes (34% each)
to get him to rank 4,
repeat and you have him at rank 5.

regarding "buying" experimental mods:
When you hit rank 3 with an engineer, you can alter the outcome of an experimental weapon mod.
If you hit a good base roll, and good secondary mods (right side) but not the desired experimental mod (bottom), you can click *adjust*.
This opens a window with possible experimental modifications and you can then buy one by *calling in a favour*. This drops the engineers rank by 2 (hence why you need him at 3 in first place).
So if youre just after experimental mods, like healing lasers, you can simply ghetto-grind his reputation to rank 3 with the cheapest possible recipe 15 times, then rolling the actual mod you want, and then buy healing for -2 rank.
Then he is at rank 1 again and you shove 15 lvl1 recipes up his throat and so on.

Important note, you dont have to actually *use* his mods, you can simply click "retry" 15 times and he will be rank 3.
I usually always skip rank 2 by doing 15 lvl 1 recipes.
Note on unlocking engineers: They require rank 3 + 30%, which is 3 recipes lvl1, 12 more lvl1 to reach rank 2 and another 15 lvl1 recipes to reach rank 3.3
So if you just visit an engineer to learn about another engineer, bring 30 stuff for lvl1 recipes you can perform on your ship. You obviously cant grind with cannon mods if you only have lasers.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dude that's a kickass explanation and I'm sure it's in Kerr's guide which I have bookmarked but haven't read through (on my phone) but still super useful.

Not to haul ads to the power core engy and knock that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I was thinking of selling my FAS and going back to the FDL but the jump range :ohdear: I might go in for the python because I need anime wings on my space planes.

• Locked thread