Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/767862470061023232 in which politics in SF are suddenly okay, despite all previous statements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

disregard the original post that was here i am dumb

E: Well he gets political exploration in sci-fi but still doesn't get historical context, or even history as being a thing, considering that that episode of Star Trek is 50 years old and came from a time when Jim Crow was still making its last stand and the civil rights movement was evolving into Black Power because of white terrorism.

Which I guess means in a meta sort of way, it might have something to say about Black Lives Matter considering that we've got a new black liberation movement in the face of a new wave of white terrorism, but not what Rev thinks it does.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Aug 23, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/767862470061023232 in which politics in SF are suddenly okay, despite all previous statements

Rev is so locked up in layers of chronic self-unawareness that I can't tell if this legitimately sarcastic, satire, or Rev continuing to have no idea about what a sad man he is.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tracula posted:

You must be fun at parties.
Also, what's your Tumblr?

Stepdads and stepmoms mistreat, and sometimes murder, stepchildren. Adoptive children are not mistreated, but are treated as pets, rather than real children.

Observe that most cases of prepubertal child getting a sex change operation are adoptees. It is like spaying a dog.

In civilizations that worshiped Moloch, it was high status to sacrifice one’s children to Moloch in the fire, so the upper class would adopt some bastard, and then sacrifice him to Moloch, rather than their real children. Now it is high status to sex change your children, so they adopt some bastard and sex change him.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In civilizations that worshiped Moloch, it was high status to sacrifice one’s children to Moloch in the fire, so the upper class would adopt some bastard, and then sacrifice him to Moloch, rather than their real children.

Never thought I'd see one of these guys speak highly of a North African society :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Can we make just-so stories punishable by human sacrifice to Moloch?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Observe that most cases of prepubertal child getting a sex change operation are adoptees. It is like spaying a dog.

I assume I'm supposed to "observe" this only in the alt-right dimension?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

Never thought I'd see one of these guys speak highly of a North African society :v:

Maybe they meant this Moloch, it certainly keeps with the DE's techno-fetishism themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNaaogT8fs

Fun Fact: this machine makes all modern consumer goods

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I wonder what DE people think of Metropolis, since it presents the ultimate apex of their emotionless beep boop technocentrism before explicitly repudiating it and giving us one of the best lines of dialogue in all of cinema as a rejection of all that the Dark Enlightenment stand for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I wonder what DE people think of Metropolis, since it presents the ultimate apex of their emotionless beep boop technocentrism before explicitly repudiating it and giving us one of the best lines of dialogue in all of cinema as a rejection of all that the Dark Enlightenment stand for.

It was partially created by Nazi-sympathisers, and its message is that rigid hierarchical systems are the way forward, but unless the ruling elite govern with wisdom and compassion, women and poor people will lose their tiny minds, go berserk, and ruin everything. Also, you probably don't want to listen to sinister Jewish wizard-scientists, because they will gently caress you up. It's not precisely in their ideological ballpark, but it's close enough that I can see them sympathising with it. Most of these folks believe that they'd be good, compassionate feudal rulers, after all.

Darth Walrus has a new favorite as of 13:02 on Aug 23, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Can we make just-so stories punishable by human sacrifice to Moloch?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A White Guy posted:

Rev is so locked up in layers of chronic self-unawareness that I can't tell if this legitimately sarcastic, satire, or Rev continuing to have no idea about what a sad man he is.

He's making fun of people angry about the aug lives matter marketing campaign by pointing to the long history of race metaphors in SF, while completely ignoring the facts that

1. Star Trek came out in an era where more direct racial discussions might be frowned upon, so they actually had to code it just enough that it didn't cause trouble.

2. People are less objecting to "politics in SF" than "tasteless invocation of political issues in marketing without real understanding of the issue"

He's probably on some level actively refusing to "get it". He better hope SJW Gawker Judeo-Bolsheviks Cultural Marxists Regressive Leftists never make a moral case against pissing on electric fences, because he is not going to enjoy his reflexive "nuh-uh" that time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

What's funny is none of that stuff has been in the game so far. But a obviously dickish right wing commentator did call a pro Aug an sjw. so at least we know which side the alt right are on in that fictional debate.

Antivehicular posted:

I'm just going to assume that a diet of film noir half-baked noir parodies has convinced Aurini that shooting in black and white will add to his rugged masculinity, just like the plastic skull and the rocks glass full of watered-down apple juice he's clearly trying to make people think is whiskey. It's either that or he got a real bad rash and/or bleach stain on the fedora and is trying to cover it up with "artsy" filmmaking.

Probably that or birth of a nation.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I really hope fits have been thrown over that new movie about Nat Turner called Birth Of A Nation

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

But a obviously dickish right wing commentator did call a pro Aug an sjw.

What's wrong with that, pro-Augs might consider that a compliment. :v:

I really hope fits have been thrown over that new movie about Nat Turner called Birth Of A Nation

I'm gonna call that the alt-right will suddenly remember the original Birth Of A Nation's role in establishing the art of cinema.

For an actual gamble, I'll bet they'll call the new one "an attempt to blackwash history."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Does the new DX have that Rush Limbaugh guy in it still? I've been replaying DX:HR while waiting for DX:MD and he's still entertainingly :tinfoil:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MizPiz posted:

I'm gonna call that the alt-right will suddenly remember the original Birth Of A Nation's role in establishing the art of cinema.

For an actual gamble, I'll bet they'll call the new one "an attempt to blackwash history."

Apperently the director of the new one raped a girl in college. And then she killed herself at 30. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/nate-parker-rape-allegations-birth-of-a-nation-1201837461/ http://deadline.com/2016/08/the-birth-of-a-nation-director-nate-parker-response-rape-accuser-suicide-1201804742/ If true I am not seeing the movie. Which is sad because it seemed interesting. Just in case anyone wonders, i learned about it on neogaf, and they arnt alt-right.

Dapper_Swindler has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Aug 23, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This topic is tangential at best, but could someone familiar with the backstory of Deus Ex explain to me how cybernetic augmentation somehow became a civil rights issue in-universe? How could anyone but the richest people in society afford them? Who's being discriminated against for being rich enough to buy a sweet robot arm?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

I mean people in general should remember BoaN's role in history it's kind of important even if it is massively astoundingly racist

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Deified Data posted:

This topic is tangential at best, but could someone familiar with the backstory of Deus Ex explain to me how cybernetic augmentation somehow became a civil rights issue in-universe? How could anyone but the richest people in society afford them? Who's being discriminated against for being rich enough to buy a sweet robot arm?

One of the plot points is people basically becoming indentured servants for augments - companies would buy them fancy arms and stuff and in exchange they had to do massive construction projects for that company. The construction project of note was to build a giant sky megacity for the rich to live in and the poor to live under. People respond to this in several different ways, one of them being hatred of auggers.

There's also this magic drug that prevents your body from rejecting implants that's controlled by shady nefarious people too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's not the most well-thought-out social commentary but they at least tried and came away with something half decent :shrug:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

It's muddled to an extent where the augmentation issue in DX:HR comes off as consisting of poor allegories for several real-life issues, from abortion (the right to have agency over one's own body, whether to get augmented or not), racial discrimination (some cop killed a teenager because he was augmented, and Jensen can tell him it's not his fault to gain access to a level) etc.

Now it's an allegory for actual apartheid and Jim Crow era style segregation and its state-sponsored brutality. But it obviously doesn't work very well as an allegory for any of that because of what you mentioned, the augmented are those who could afford to be augmented.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

One of the plot points is people basically becoming indentured servants for augments - companies would buy them fancy arms and stuff and in exchange they had to do massive construction projects for that company. The construction project of note was to build a giant sky megacity for the rich to live in and the poor to live under. People respond to this in several different ways, one of them being hatred of auggers.

There's also this magic drug that prevents your body from rejecting implants that's controlled by shady nefarious people too.

And there's that too, but I don't remember how many augs became so through work contracts.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Fututor Magnus posted:

It's muddled to an extent where the augmentation issue in DX:HR comes off as consisting of poor allegories for several real-life issues, from abortion (the right to have agency over one's own body, whether to get augmented or not), racial discrimination (some cop killed a teenager because he was augmented, and Jensen can tell him it's not his fault to gain access to a level) etc.

Now it's an allegory for actual apartheid and Jim Crow era style segregation and its state-sponsored brutality. But it obviously doesn't work very well as an allegory for any of that because of what you mentioned, the augmented are those who could afford to be augmented.

A lot of augmented are actually done so against their will as Paraplegic already said so the whole thing is mostly a criticism of capitalism (Human Revolution was anyway)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This is the only good discrimination allegory

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It seems like it might be a decent analogy for student loan debt, in part. Yeah, the richest of the rich can afford to buy augs outright, but the rest will have to take out loans just to keep up, putting them in debt on top of having to pay for a drug forever. The "obsolescence treadmill" of jobs skills training/technical education is much more visceral when it's implanted into your body.

GunnerJ has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Aug 23, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

It seems like it might be a decent analogy for student loan debt, in part. Yeah, the richest of the rich can afford to buy augs outright, but the rest will have to take out loans just to keep up, putting them in debt on top of having to pay for a drug forever. The "obsolescence treadmill" of jobs skills training/technical education is much more visceral when it's implanted into your body.

Deus Ex is a video game series?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

This is the only good discrimination allegory

Is there a thread somewhere dedicated to these? I have looked but I can't find one.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

That and the drug is insanely expensive. The mercs at belltower have all their treatments payed for as long as they stay with the company and do a good job. Second they don't, it's pulled. Plus they are mostly vets who couldn't find other work.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Video games are allowed to make social commentary. I realize they almost always chicken out when it comes to actually saying something, but they are still allowed to try.

That being said, Metal Gear Rising probably does a better job talking about the dangers of augmentation, even if it's only in codec calls.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

inkblot posted:

Video games are allowed to make social commentary. I realize they almost always chicken out when it comes to actually saying something, but they are still allowed to try.

That being said, Metal Gear Rising probably does a better job talking about the dangers of augmentation, even if it's only in codec calls.

That one speech by jet stream Sam about the cyborg soldiers is pretty good. Some do it well, others don't.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
There's also the fact that the final boss is literally just Dick Cheney and his pacemaker gives him super human powers.

The best thing about MGR:R is I've encountered people who actually agree with Armstrong and to a lesser extent Sundowner. It blows my mind but they do actually exist in real life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tracula posted:

There's also the fact that the final boss is literally just Dick Cheney and his pacemaker gives him super human powers.

The best thing about MGR:R is I've encountered people who actually agree with Armstrong and to a lesser extent Sundowner. It blows my mind but they do actually exist in real life.

i can see people agreeing with armstrong, he has the same opinions as trump with weirdly less bigotry and more objectivism.(and more charm), so i can see people thinking he is "on to something" but sundowner is just a petty sadist mercenary who gets off on killing and suffering and got kicked out of the army for war crimes. he only wants war because its how sick fucks like him thrive.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Kids can be cruel, Dapper.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Kids can be cruel, Dapper.

I'm very in touch with my inner child.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Apperently the director of the new one raped a girl in college. And then she killed herself at 30. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/nate-parker-rape-allegations-birth-of-a-nation-1201837461/ http://deadline.com/2016/08/the-birth-of-a-nation-director-nate-parker-response-rape-accuser-suicide-1201804742/ If true I am not seeing the movie. Which is sad because it seemed interesting. Just in case anyone wonders, i learned about it on neogaf, and they arnt alt-right.

Nate Parker was acquitted, his co-defendant had a hung jury and never got a retrial.But, if you've already made up your mind that Nate Parker is a rapist :shrug:

On one hand, I feel bad for him, because the trailer seemed like the director might have some directorial chops.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i can see people agreeing with armstrong, he has the same opinions as trump with weirdly less bigotry and more objectivism.(and more charm), so i can see people thinking he is "on to something" but sundowner is just a petty sadist mercenary who gets off on killing and suffering and got kicked out of the army for war crimes. he only wants war because its how sick fucks like him thrive.

Imagine if the "gently caress you, got mine" types hated the usual "gently caress you, got mine" types. Those are those who agree with Sundowner.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Nate Parker was acquitted, his co-defendant had a hung jury and never got a retrial.But, if you've already made up your mind that Nate Parker is a rapist :shrug:

On one hand, I feel bad for him, because the trailer seemed like the director might have some directorial chops.

I read the call transcript between him and the victim the day after and it felt sketchy. plus some of the stuff the dude has said about gays a few times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/movies/nate-parker-rape-case-birth-of-a-nation-film.html?_r=0

either way. i am sure the movie will kick up a shitstorm anything about nat turner does. the dude was probably mentally ill but he put the fear of god into the plantation owners/south and he did a alot of bad poo poo to earn that fear. which i am sure will start a shitstorm of its own.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Is there a thread somewhere dedicated to these? I have looked but I can't find one.

Not really "dedicated" but the webcomics thread talks about them enough that whoever draws them included references to the webcomics thread in some of them

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

The actual reason robo-people are discriminated against is that, at the end of the last game, most of them went insane, 28 Days Later-style, and killed a bunch of people on account of having their brains scrambled by hacked augment firmware.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tracula posted:

Imagine if the "gently caress you, got mine" types hated the usual "gently caress you, got mine" types. Those are those who agree with Sundowner.

i saw people defend oskar dirlewanger because he was fighting the "reds" and those girls "were probaly whores anyway" look up oskar dirlewanger if you want to feel like poo poo for a week. that ghouel was so hosed up he was booted from the SS. so i can believe dumbshits love sundowner.

Dapper_Swindler has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

The actual reason robo-people are discriminated against is that, at the end of the last game, most of them went insane, 28 Days Later-style, and killed a bunch of people on account of having their brains scrambled by hacked augment firmware.

pretty much. its not just rich fucks and transhumanists. it was vetrains and disabled people, people who were poor and took factory jobs that came with required augmentation, people who got them done on the black market. all kinds of reasons.