Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You can order custom length cables from cablemod.com. You would need to come up with your own measurements for cable lengths though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

El Scotch posted:

Ncase report: custom psu cables make life much easier. :sun:

Also, hooked the Accelero fans up directly to the gpu via mini-4 pin. On the plus side, reactionary pwm control to the gpu temp; on the downside the minimum fan speed is 33% vs whatever I wanted to set it at when plugged into the motherboard header. (but was fixed instead of temperature based)

Can't you set your own fan speed curve in MSI Afterburner?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Can't you set your own fan speed curve in MSI Afterburner?

Yes, but it can't be set lower than 33% speed, at least for my card.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Got a link? I just ordered an ncase m1 and want to have all the bits ready for when it arrives in 4+ weeks time.

I got them from cablemod. In my case I just got them all at minimum length because the motherboard headers are next to the psu.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

El Scotch posted:

Yes, but it can't be set lower than 33% speed, at least for my card.

You could run it from a motherboard header and use speedfan to control it based on GPU temp. That'd work down to 0%.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

You could run it from a motherboard header and use speedfan to control it based on GPU temp. That'd work down to 0%.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of next trying. I've never used speed fan but it can't be *that* hard...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rabid Snake posted:

Thanks to this topic, I ended up building a mini ITX Skylake computer. I had a hard time picking a case. I was going to go the Thermaltake Core V1 route but that wasn't much smaller then my current Cooler Master N200. Then I started looking at the Node 202 and the RVZ02. I ended up going with the RVZ02 since my GTX 1070 was a non blower cooler.

Overall, I am really happy with the RVZ02. The only thing that bothers me about this set up is that my ultrawide is Freesync. I didn't think I would have missed adaptive sync that much but after a week with my GTX 1070, I caved in. Now I have to wait for my X34 to get here, and then flip this Freesync ultrawide on craigslist after.

Any updates on how this system is doing? I am planning to pull the trigger on a build that's basically this but in the ML08B. You mentioned some high temperatures and I am kind of worried about putting in an overclocking CPU and 1070 into a fanless case...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SamDabbers posted:

LibreELEC perhaps? I'm still using my Foxconn of similar vintage for that, though mine is the AMD version.

I'll check it out. I've already got a Chromecast and an NAS with Plex running 24/7, but maybe this would be an option.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

El Scotch posted:

I got them from cablemod. In my case I just got them all at minimum length because the motherboard headers are next to the psu.

Thanks man. Can you paste a picture of your order? Basically I'll be wanting to order the exact same stuff...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Before I pull the trigger on a Fractal Core 500 and ASRock Z170m motherboard, are there any new SFF cases and ITX motherboards on the horizon? I'm pretty set on that combo but if there's something else about to come out I'd like to have a look first.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks man. Can you paste a picture of your order? Basically I'll be wanting to order the exact same stuff...

This is for an Asus P8Z77-i motherboard.

For the inevitable question of "why those stupid colours", I was a bit drunk and have no aesthetic taste when sober to begin with.

Also, for a motherboard like mine a shorter 24-pin cable would have been preferable.

Over at Ensourced they have these shorty 24-pin connectors, which I know think would actually work better for a setup like this, paired with a short extension cable.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

El Scotch posted:

This is for an Asus P8Z77-i motherboard.

For the inevitable question of "why those stupid colours", I was a bit drunk and have no aesthetic taste when sober to begin with.

Also, for a motherboard like mine a shorter 24-pin cable would have been preferable.

Over at Ensourced they have these shorty 24-pin connectors, which I know think would actually work better for a setup like this, paired with a short extension cable.

I have the same motherboard/case/psu and just got the same cables (well, single sata power instead of dual, and different colors). I asked if they would do a 200mm 24-pin and they said no, 250mm was the minimum.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any updates on how this system is doing? I am planning to pull the trigger on a build that's basically this but in the ML08B. You mentioned some high temperatures and I am kind of worried about putting in an overclocking CPU and 1070 into a fanless case...

If I had to do it again, I would get a blower card and use a i5 6600k (or lower TDP) processor. It's perfect for gaming but when I start doing any video encoding using hand brake / adobe premiere pro, the CPU hits really high temperatures (80-85 degrees). I'm not sure how much is because of the Hyper Threading. Too much heat builds up when doing high CPU intensive tasks and can't keep up. Same thing happens with Prime 95. It's still reasonably below 90, but it's not ideal. I don't feel comfortable with those temperatures for a long period of time.

Playing video games, it never goes hotter then 70 CPU wise. GPU does run a little hot, for example, when playing Overwatch at 1440p / Ultra the temperatures hit around 80 degrees. The 1070 is efficient though so the fans never really run at 100 percent. If those temperatures are too high you can probably implement a custom fan curve to cool it down more. I'd still prefer a blower cooler since it would push the hot air out of the case. Now if you remove the dust filters, temperatures do drop 5-10 degrees for both the CPU and GPU but that's a pain in the rear end to do each time I decide to do any video editing.

edit: If you want a small case and haven't bought any parts yet, look at the Silverstone Sugo SG13. You can install an AIO water cooler along with a 10.5" blower 1070 card in a smaller footprint then the RVZ02. I would actually go this route if I did it again.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 26, 2016

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

tuna posted:

Got my parts into the Ncase today:

That's a Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF and on an EVGA Stinger and it just about fits in. It's by far the quietest (I cannot hear this machine unless I put my head right up to it) and smallest PC ive ever built.
Other specs are 6700k, 32gb RAM, 1tb samsung ssd, geforce 970, 500w Silverstone.

I'm going to run it without any case fans and monitor temps, see if I need the extra noise/dust to keep it cool.

Hate to dig up an old post but are you located in the US? I'm having a hard time finding a reputable seller to buy the Dark Rock TF.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Rabid Snake posted:

If I had to do it again, I would get a blower card and use a i5 6600k (or lower TDP) processor. It's perfect for gaming but when I start doing any video encoding using hand brake / adobe premiere pro, the CPU hits really high temperatures (80-85 degrees). I'm not sure how much is because of the Hyper Threading. Too much heat builds up when doing high CPU intensive tasks and can't keep up. Same thing happens with Prime 95. It's still reasonably below 90, but it's not ideal. I don't feel comfortable with those temperatures for a long period of time.

Playing video games, it never goes hotter then 70 CPU wise. GPU does run a little hot, for example, when playing Overwatch at 1440p / Ultra the temperatures hit around 80 degrees. The 1070 is efficient though so the fans never really run at 100 percent. If those temperatures are too high you can probably implement a custom fan curve to cool it down more. I'd still prefer a blower cooler since it would push the hot air out of the case. Now if you remove the dust filters, temperatures do drop 5-10 degrees for both the CPU and GPU but that's a pain in the rear end to do each time I decide to do any video editing.

edit: If you want a small case and haven't bought any parts yet, look at the Silverstone Sugo SG13. You can install an AIO water cooler along with a 10.5" blower 1070 card in a smaller footprint then the RVZ02. I would actually go this route if I did it again.

I actually had the sg13, and no matter what I tried, my 1070 (which is 10.5" long) could not fit in that case with my AIO cooler, fwiw. BTW if someone wants to buy one with the mesh front plate, I have that one sitting around.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks for the replies, they've given me another thing to think about as I plan my build. The idea of having a separate GPU compartment seemed really neat, but...

I don't know. Maybe I should just... build a Micro ATX tower :sigh:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know. Maybe I should just... build a Micro ATX tower :sigh:

whoa now friend, that's a long term solution to a short term problem.

we're here for you. we'll get through this together.

mitx is love. mitx is life.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Just get a larger size mitx :D

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I actually had the sg13, and no matter what I tried, my 1070 (which is 10.5" long) could not fit in that case with my AIO cooler, fwiw. BTW if someone wants to buy one with the mesh front plate, I have that one sitting around.

The longer ends need to be facing vertically, did you do that? Or was it more of a tube issue? An SFX power supply might alleviate that.

Here's a picture of the first thing I stole from overclockers.net, but turn it 90 degrees.

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2331280/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 27, 2016

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

kimcicle posted:

Hate to dig up an old post but are you located in the US? I'm having a hard time finding a reputable seller to buy the Dark Rock TF.

Amazon has them :)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

The longer ends need to be facing vertically, did you do that? Or was it more of a tube issue? An SFX power supply might alleviate that.

Here's a picture of the first thing I stole from overclockers.net, but turn it 90 degrees.

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2331280/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

I'm having trouble seeing what you are trying to explain here, but that picture shows the issue exactly. I had that exact setup, almost (not corsair brand, but same size cooler and the mini Asus 970), and the cooler blocked the 1070.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm having trouble seeing what you are trying to explain here, but that picture shows the issue exactly. I had that exact setup, almost (not corsair brand, but same size cooler and the mini Asus 970), and the cooler blocked the 1070.

The guy in his picture has it the wrong way for what you want to do. You can see where your graphics card would extend. The longer dimensions of the radiator should be oriented vertically, not horizontally. Or if its easier for you to understand it this way, the plastic ends of it should point up and down.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

The guy in his picture has it the wrong way for what you want to do. You can see where your graphics card would extend. The longer dimensions of the radiator should be oriented vertically, not horizontally. Or if its easier for you to understand it this way, the plastic ends of it should point up and down.

Ooohhhh I thought you were talking about the video card. Would that still let it be screwed in, and wouldn't that block the top storage drive plate?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Ooohhhh I thought you were talking about the video card. Would that still let it be screwed in, and wouldn't that block the top storage drive plate?

I'm not sure, to be honest. It will screw in but I'm not entirely sure about the drive. Linus put a Titan in with a ridiculous 18 or 20 core processor and an AIO, but for some reason had to move the SSDs and I don't think he had an HDD.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, a 3.5" HDD is out of the cards entirely (unless you just have it hanging there) no matter what with the AIO screwed in, I found.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think I wanna transplant my current system into a smaller case yet one that provides better cooling/airflow. Here's my current setup:

code:
MSI GTX 970 (stock)
i5-4690k (overclocked to 4.3 GHz) + Cryorig H7
fully modular ATX(?) powersupply
BitFenix Prodigy (the mITX version)
1-2 SSDs (don't need space/room for a optical drive or regular sized hard drive)
In my UEFI I like to set my system fan speed to "silent" because I don't like noise. My GPU gets up to ~75 C playing wow this way on stock settings which seems like, rather high I think. The CPU stays lower than that. Anyway, I'd like another mITX case that's a lot smaller than the one I have and has better airflow for my GPU. It would also be super great if the thing was filtered so dust doesn't get in. Another plus would be if I can keep using my current power supply, but if I have to get another one in a smaller form factor then it's whatever. Other nice things is sound proofing/better acoustics. The reason I leave my system fan on "silent" mode is because it's a bit loud at "normal" mode and this computer is now running my Plex and nzbget so I tend to leave it on overnight and it's set up in my room at the moment. I also want to 'mildly' overclock the GPU as well but I just haven't because I don't understand why it's hitting 75 C playing wow when wow is supposedly non-GPU taxing.

I probably can't have everything so in order of importance for me: smaller size > better cooling > less noise > filters >>> able to keep using power supply and CPU/case fans

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you're willing to take the plunge I highly recommend either an AIO hybrid card or slapping on an Accelero.

I'm still figuring out the fan control side of the Accelero, but it's brilliant in the M1. It just vomits the heat out the bottom.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

NoDamage posted:

I have the same motherboard/case/psu and just got the same cables (well, single sata power instead of dual, and different colors). I asked if they would do a 200mm 24-pin and they said no, 250mm was the minimum.

Yeah, I saw that too. You could pair a 200mm 24-pin extension cable with that 24-pin shorty to make something shorter, but that's the limit short of DIY. The 250mm I have with paracord is much nicer to work with than the stock SF series cables though. The single best improvement though for me was having a short 8-pin motherboard cable though.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Can I get a sanity check on this build? And I know that normally you can get the SG05 with the PSU included but I'm sourcing all of this stuff locally in Korea and apparently vendors only stock the lite version of the case here. I also was considering just getting a 1060 instead of the 1070 but I have a 1440p monitor and wasn't sure if a 1060 would be fast enough for that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110N Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card ($404.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone SG05BB-LITE Mini ITX Desktop Case ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-28 09:13 EDT-0400

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe get a faster clock speed for your RAM? 2133 is a little low when you can get around ~3200 without much of a change in price (like $20).

EDIT: Ah, the motherboard doesn't support higher. But maybe there's another one that does at a similar price, just putting it out there.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 28, 2016

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I hadn't thought about that, thanks.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Speaking of 1080p, here is some Full HD paint!! https://www.amazon.com/Paint-Screen...4037Q3R3C3R6484

It's practically guaranteed to have 1080p resolution and, according to one review, actually has a 1440p resolution!!!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Goons, I need help! The Define Nano S requires a PSU 160mm or smaller. All of the PSUs in the OP meet that restriction by a mile, but for some reason PCPartPicker is flagging every single one of them as incompatible with the case. Does anyone know why this is happening, and if so, have a different PSU they'd recommend?

Here's the build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($399.99)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1233.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-28 23:48 EDT-0400

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Mini-ITX crew! I would like to join! My GF and I are gonna design and build laser-cut cases for our rigs, and this is the hardware I'm gonna get for mine (she's gonna get an i7-6700k, prob 32 gb ram and a 1080, with psu to match).

This list doesn't include fans, power button, LEDs, chassis speaker, or extra ports (not gonna use extra ports on this build), I'm gonna have the PSU and GPU each pulling and dumping air independently, and a 180mm fan pulling air from above the cpu (negative pressure, with air coming from the top and bottom of the mobo). Gonna try to get this first iteration inside of an 8" x 8" x 6" box (with motherboard mounted vertically, gpu mounted behind motherboard, and psu mounted on the outside), then try to make a smaller iteration.. To fit the GPU, I plan on using a riser cable to move it back-to-back with the motherboard.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($157.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($186.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1036.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-29 02:39 EDT-0400

Can I get a smell test on this parts list and my ideas? I checked the power consumption, and, unless I'm missing something, I'm gonna be pulling ~300W, so with psu efficiency losses and safety margin, 450W should be enough, right? Also, can someone recommend a good gtx 1060 card that won't break the bank? I don't care about the superclocked version.

Have any of you built custom tiny cases? Besides doing a cardboard mockup first, any tips or tricks? From all I've read, cable management is a pain in the rear end, so I'm gonna cut holes for zip ties to pin down cables. Have any of you moved a video card with a riser cable? Do the front panel port headers on the motherboard share bandwidth with rear panels?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

Mini-ITX crew! I would like to join! My GF and I are gonna design and build laser-cut cases for our rigs, and this is the hardware I'm gonna get for mine (she's gonna get an i7-6700k, prob 32 gb ram and a 1080, with psu to match).

This list doesn't include fans, power button, LEDs, chassis speaker, or extra ports (not gonna use extra ports on this build), I'm gonna have the PSU and GPU each pulling and dumping air independently, and a 180mm fan pulling air from above the cpu (negative pressure, with air coming from the top and bottom of the mobo). Gonna try to get this first iteration inside of an 8" x 8" x 6" box (with motherboard mounted vertically, gpu mounted behind motherboard, and psu mounted on the outside), then try to make a smaller iteration.. To fit the GPU, I plan on using a riser cable to move it back-to-back with the motherboard.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($157.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($186.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1036.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-29 02:39 EDT-0400

Can I get a smell test on this parts list and my ideas? I checked the power consumption, and, unless I'm missing something, I'm gonna be pulling ~300W, so with psu efficiency losses and safety margin, 450W should be enough, right? Also, can someone recommend a good gtx 1060 card that won't break the bank? I don't care about the superclocked version.

Have any of you built custom tiny cases? Besides doing a cardboard mockup first, any tips or tricks? From all I've read, cable management is a pain in the rear end, so I'm gonna cut holes for zip ties to pin down cables. Have any of you moved a video card with a riser cable? Do the front panel port headers on the motherboard share bandwidth with rear panels?

Get faster RAM, 3000 or 3200, should be only a little more expensive and will make a tangible FPS difference in the more cpu intensive games.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Goons, I need help! The Define Nano S requires a PSU 160mm or smaller. All of the PSUs in the OP meet that restriction by a mile, but for some reason PCPartPicker is flagging every single one of them as incompatible with the case. Does anyone know why this is happening, and if so, have a different PSU they'd recommend?

Here's the build:

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1233.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-28 23:48 EDT-0400

Unless you are going to watercool that GPU, pay very close attention to how close it's fan(s) will be to the PSU.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

buffbus posted:

Unless you are going to watercool that GPU, pay very close attention to how close it's fan(s) will be to the PSU.

I'm not sure how to check that without all parts in hand, since the exact positioning of the mobo and PGI slot will matter and we're talking mms of clearance here. That's why I was hoping someone had further advice on the PSU choice. :ohdear:

I can't figure out why PCPartPicker is insisting all SFF PSUs are incompatible

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 29, 2016

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I'm not sure how to check that without all parts in hand, since the exact positioning of the mobo and PGI slot will matter and we're talking mms of clearance here. That's why I was hoping someone had further advice on the PSU choice. :ohdear:

I can't figure out why PCPartPicker is insisting all SFF PSUs are incompatible

I have the Corsair RMx 650w in mine, no issues. The 550w version would work also. As long as your video card doesn't have a cooler that is taller/wider than 2 slots you'll be fine. Most cards don't. The 1070 Windforce you picked out is fine in that regard. FWIW, I have the same case, motherboard, and a bigger Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 in mine. I added an extra 140mm fan to the front to help get airflow at the card plus have positive air pressure.

EDIT: PCPartPicker is probably telling you SFF PSU are incompatible because that case uses standard full size ATX power supplies.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 30, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

owls or something posted:

I have the Corsair RMx 650w in mine, no issues. The 550w version would work also. As long as your video card doesn't have a cooler that is taller/wider than 2 slots you'll be fine. Most cards don't. The 1070 Windforce you picked out is fine in that regard. FWIW, I have the same case, motherboard, and a bigger Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 in mine. I added an extra 140mm fan to the front to help get airflow at the card plus have positive air pressure.

EDIT: PCPartPicker is probably telling you SFF PSU are incompatible because that case uses standard full size ATX power supplies.

Perfect, thank you! The RMx comes with a 10 year warranty too, which is perfect because I don't trust this guy to replace it at 5. I also swapped the RAM for something with more clearance and a lower price (yay cost fluctuations). But now suddenly the Cryorig H7 is out of stock everywhere... :smithicide:

Any recommendations for an alternative air cooler? The 212 Evo seems like it might be a little big and heavy, but according to PCP it fits.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($15.20 @ Amazon)
Total: $1351.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-30 16:38 EDT-0400

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Perfect, thank you! The RMx comes with a 10 year warranty too, which is perfect because I don't trust this guy to replace it at 5. I also swapped the RAM for something with more clearance and a lower price (yay cost fluctuations). But now suddenly the Cryorig H7 is out of stock everywhere... :smithicide:

Any recommendations for an alternative air cooler? The 212 Evo seems like it might be a little big and heavy, but according to PCP it fits.

Heavy means reliable. The Evo 212 will fit and work fine even with a mild overclock. I have a Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK in mine because I wanted to push it. It is huge and heavy, has dual fans but comes with a splitter so it only uses one power source on the motherboard.

The front 140mm intake fan that the case comes with is a Fractal Design GP-14. Just in case you wanted a matching intake fan since you'd have to use a splitter. The case comes with a spare splitter which was a nice touch. It is typically not a good idea to mix fans running off a splitter. The Asus Z170I only has 3 fan headers (2 chassis and 1 CPU) so it something to watch out for.