Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a team game, unless you were jacking off in the corner while a winger sauntered into the slot and roofed it, it's never completely your fault.

Low level teams seem really bad at supporting the play so odds are someone else was diddling around and created an opportunity that got used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Also it was the goalies fault.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Sometimes I feel like the goalie blames me for the goals scored, like last game where he cleared the puck directly at my head. Maybe he assumed I was a soccer player and could head it down to my stick, but I just ducked out of the way instead.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Vargatron posted:

What's with the pushups?

Games go to 5 goals, loser gets a bonus workout. Small rink = lots of work outs (I dont do them)

V for Vegans posted:

Sometimes I feel like the goalie blames me for the goals scored, like last game where he cleared the puck directly at my head. Maybe he assumed I was a soccer player and could head it down to my stick, but I just ducked out of the way instead.

For goalies we want the pass stopped while the puck carrier is hopefully being pressured wide. I have D on my team that are extremely good at pressuring the puck carrier and leaving themselves room to break up the pass. I have group skates I go to where most people are just pylons and there's nothing worse than that.

Even as a goalie any goal I let in I feel there's something I could have done, not every situation is ideal and keeps that shrug the entire blame of a goal onto the rest of their team can become toxic.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

In general the question you ask yourself in net is "did I give my team a chance to win?". If you can answer yes to that question, then you played the way you should have, win or lose.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

prom candy posted:

Blech, we lost 3-0 last night and I was on and playing defense for all 3. I wasn't expecting to beat this team but it sucks to feel partially/completely responsible for all 3.

Maybe your worthless forwards can score a fuckin' goal and your goalie can make a goddamn save for once in his life, Brent!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Don't usually do recaps, however:

Initial practice last night, realised it had been a while since i'd tried a good wrister. Ended up throwing it over the boards into the commentary box.

Scored three times, which is a huge difference to what i've been doing before. I've also worked out dangles and how to get past people so I was gliding around people like they weren't there all night, loving surreal. Never thought i'd get to do that.

On the way home I had to get out of the car and throw up because of how tired I was. I was ok then whatever was keeping me going wore off and I just felt awful. Strange night all around.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I went up to the hockey store today to get some new skates and they ended up putting me in skates that are 1.5 sizes smaller than what I'm wearing now, from 6.5 down to 5. The toe box is a bit tight on my bigger foot but the smaller foot feels great. I have a game tonight at 6:45 but sadly I can't try them out since I just got them baked. Can't believe I've been playing in skates that are a size and a half too big, hopefully I'll see a bit of a performance bump from this, or at least stop falling as much. Also nice that I can fit juniors, I got the next level up from the supremes I've been wearing (160 to 170) for the same price.

Also thanks for the kind words on the goals not being my fault. I'm sure it was a series of misplays that led to them (plus the other team just being on average better than us) but there are definitely things I could have done better on 2 of the 3. Live and learn though, it's just rec hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

wow, you have smaller feet than I do, the deals on slightly used skates you'll find will be incredible.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I went from a skate size of 8.5 to a size 7. The quality of the skates were amazing but the size difference improved my skating a lot too.

Honestly it's good you are not trying them in a game though. When I switched skates it took me 30 minutes before I could skate again above a public skate level.

Funnily enough I brought them to a stick and puck and one of the guys on the team, who had been coaching me on "staying low" when skating, noticed I looked like poo poo and was standing up (because Jesus they're new skates and I was trying to learn the balance on them). He just skates up to me, goes "stay low bro" and gives me a good bump and I almost bail doing the running-on-the-spot dance and everything.

At this point he's confused because I'm not *that* bad and he asks what's up. I tell him I'm in brand new top of the line skates (year old on clearance otherwise I wouldn't have bought them). He just says "Jesus, sorry man. They'll be amazing for you in a couple of hours."

Anyway, what I'm saying is use them in some public skating or stick and puck poo poo first until you get the hang of them. You try them out in competition and I can guarantee you're going to be captain fumbles.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I was going to wear them to shinny on Tuesday but I'll make sure to get there early so I can skate around before any actual games starts and also bring my old skates just in case. Since it's the middle of summer the next public skate is a week away at this point, I definitely can't wait that long to try them out.

And yeah I was always jealous that my wife could get awesome skates for cheap because she wears junior sizes, glad I can get in on that too. She got new skates today as well and found out she's been wearing a full size too large for at least a few years. She ended up getting last year's top of the line Ribcors for $230.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ugh, skatechat is reminding me how I need new ones in the next season or so. Mine are beat to hell and have holes on the sides.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 22, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

skatechat is reminding me how inbred new ones in the next season or so.

:stare:...go on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol autocorrect

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

prom candy posted:

I was going to wear them to shinny on Tuesday but I'll make sure to get there early so I can skate around before any actual games starts and also bring my old skates just in case. Since it's the middle of summer the next public skate is a week away at this point, I definitely can't wait that long to try them out.

And yeah I was always jealous that my wife could get awesome skates for cheap because she wears junior sizes, glad I can get in on that too. She got new skates today as well and found out she's been wearing a full size too large for at least a few years. She ended up getting last year's top of the line Ribcors for $230.

drat IT! What skate size is she? A bunch of my gear is junior sized; it didn't occur to me that I could get good skates in a junior size that would still fit. gently caress.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think they put her in 4.5s, but that might be 5.5 in the US? Apparently US skate sizes are one bigger than Canada because why not make it that much more confusing?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

prom candy posted:

I think they put her in 4.5s, but that might be 5.5 in the US? Apparently US skate sizes are one bigger than Canada because why not make it that much more confusing?

Oh. Crap. Yeah, I'm a shoe size 6 in the US which translates to 4.5 in skates which tend to be in Canadian sizes . . . I'm already confused but dimly aware that this is not going to work out cheaper. Oh well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had our season ended by the patented playoff ringer carving up our whole team and scoring in OT. What a wet fart of a way to end a great playoff game.

e: Of course he was wearing a tinted visor as well.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 23, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh snap that reminds me I've been procrastinating on paying for the fall season. I guess I should do that now.

edit - and usa hockey registration. Fine just take all my money.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Had our season ended by the patented playoff ringer carving up our whole team and scoring in OT. What a wet fart of a way to end a great playoff game.

So you shot a lame backhand off of the defensemans skates to win it or what?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Tried those new skates today, they are definitely too small, my big toe on my right foot doesn't have enough space. I'm going to try to go up to a 5.5, but is there a skate out there that fits narrow in the heel and wider in the toe box? Vapor maybe?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I recall that supremes offer the widest forefoot in Bauer's lineup.

But google it, I'm probably wrong.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Nexus usually has the widest toebox in Bauer

Try one of the new tacks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

sho 'nuff

http://discounthockey.com/blogs/news/16673851-fitting-guide-ice-skates

Goddamn if footwear sizing isn't a clusterfuck across the board, and not just for skates. gently caress the metric system we need standardized measurements for shoes.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

If anyone here is in the Philly area, would there be an interest in the Penn Ironman tournament in April? I'm looking to enter a team if there's interest.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Tremendous Taste posted:

Try one of the new tacks

Tacks had a pretty nice toebox but felt weird throughout, not used to such a shallow boot I think. I ended up just going a half size up on the supremes. Eventually I think I'll see if Bauer will sell me a mismatched pair.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Dudeabides posted:

If anyone here is in the Philly area, would there be an interest in the Penn Ironman tournament in April? I'm looking to enter a team if there's interest.

Where in the Philly area, level and cost? I'm in the middle of Delaware. Skill level: poo poo. I can always find more people if needed as well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

e: Of course he was wearing a tinted visor as well.

If I get a tinted visor will all my slapshots start hitting the target?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

dogstile posted:

If I get a tinted visor will all my slapshots start hitting the target?

Only if the target is the glass behind the net.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargatron posted:

Only if the target is the glass behind the net.

gently caress yeah, lets go.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

calandryll posted:

Where in the Philly area, level and cost? I'm in the middle of Delaware. Skill level: poo poo. I can always find more people if needed as well.

It's at UPenn's rink. They've got B, C, and D level entry. It's $125 per team or $25 per person.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Dudeabides posted:

It's at UPenn's rink. They've got B, C, and D level entry. It's $125 per team or $25 per person.

Well technically I would be "C" but I think the rink I'm at is a bit rear end backwards. If you need people I'd join up. May even be able to find a goalie as well if you need one.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

sho 'nuff

http://discounthockey.com/blogs/news/16673851-fitting-guide-ice-skates

Goddamn if footwear sizing isn't a clusterfuck across the board, and not just for skates. gently caress the metric system we need standardized measurements for shoes.

quote:

Bauer’s Vapor series is the most popular skate in the NHL and focuses primarily on speed. Vapor’s are known for their narrow and slim fit. The skate will have a low-volume boot and the foot will feel locked in place. This skate’s low-volume fit eliminates unnecessary space in the boot and allows for pure performance. Vapor’s are meant to match every player with his or her potential.

I don't think mine are working right. :saddowns:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vapors pinched the poo poo out of my feet and I should not have gotten them for my first skate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
god drat I love hockey gear marketing copy

also I didn't notice a shred of difference when I switched from supreme to vapors but then again I only sharpen my skates on an annual basis

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We should make the Goon Hockey Equipment Company with copy like "is good skate, last long time" and "this is hockey stick. you hit puck ok??"

We'll make millions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey cool I busted more rivets on these goddamn skates again

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

We should make the Goon Hockey Equipment Company with copy like "is good skate, last long time" and "this is hockey stick. you hit puck ok??"

We'll make millions.

Coming soon to your nearest Goon HEC vendor:

Meltdown Helmet Visor: Hide from your goon buddies in plain sight.

Secondary Assist Sticks: Pad your points after the play.

Thunderdome Senior Gloves: Dave can we just get an intern to do the marketing line on this crap?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Our top of the line gloves also function as a latrine! Machine washable!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

"Our top of the line gloves also function as a latrine! Machine washable!!"

"Perfect for when your Shitposting becomes a little TOO literally shitposting".

Also I finally got to set up that net I bought months ago when it was on sale. I never want to lace another net in my life but I like being able to just go down in my garage and plunk the post goals as much as I want.