Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Geez, didn't even realize this:

Sapphire Reserve’s also applies to general travel purchases, including airfare, taxi rides, rental cars, hotels — even bridge and tunnel tolls. If you travel (even only within your own state), there’s a very good chance you’ll have no problem using up the credit.

That's pretty generous and makes up a lot for the annual fee (more than just the airfare ones for the Amex Plat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Geez, didn't even realize this:

Sapphire Reserve’s also applies to general travel purchases, including airfare, taxi rides, rental cars, hotels — even bridge and tunnel tolls. If you travel (even only within your own state), there’s a very good chance you’ll have no problem using up the credit.

That's pretty generous and makes up a lot for the annual fee (more than just the airfare ones for the Amex Plat.
How do you actually claim it, though?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Word is that there's a little tracker on the card's home page and it's automatically applied to the balance. Don't know for sure though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gregday posted:

Word is the CSR is a heavier, more clangy metal like the Ritz Carlton card and not like the CSP, for people who care about such things.
I don't even carry my CSP :blush:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Approved. :getin:

gregday
May 23, 2003

ilkhan posted:

How do you actually claim it, though?

You get an automatic statement credit for anything in their travel category.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

gregday posted:

You get an automatic statement credit for anything in their travel category.
Well that's about as simple as it gets.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I really want one as I will use the 3x travel and dining categories, plus I can get the $300 back when I get a airline club membership, but I'm waaaaaaay over 5/24. :v:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cacafuego posted:

I really want one as I will use the 3x travel and dining categories, plus I can get the $300 back when I get a airline club membership, but I'm waaaaaaay over 5/24. :v:

I'm at about 9/24 and converted my CSP because the benefits are probably still worth the AF, but we'll see. Worst case I can presumably still get two calendar years' worth of travel credit. Pretty sure I'm going to convert my Prestige to some other no-fee Citi card because it's obviously getting gutted. The Amex PRG has been my main card since I'm primarily flying Delta right now, but UR points will be easier to obtain and my best use for their transfer partners is BA, since even after the devaluation it's still only 7500 Avios for a one way domestic flight on AA, which I've taken advantage of on at least a couple occasions. It's 1000:825 for MR -> Avios but the PRG still has fuel/supermarkets at 2x, too.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm already holding off on applications until Spring '17 (mortgage application), so I figure I may as well wait til Spring '18 to get below 5/24 and start applying for new cards again. I hope the CSR is still around and still awesome :ohdear:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
How the hell is anybody under 5/24? lol

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Shadowhand00 posted:

I'm wondering whether the Sapphire Reserve can do the UnitedX workaround for Amazon GCs like the Amex cards can.
No, this is a quirk of the Amex processing network.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Blinkman987 posted:

How the hell is anybody under 5/24? lol

It's 5/24 for chase cards right? If so, some of you guys are waaaay more in to this than I am.

Is there any reason for me to keep my Amex prg open if I just got a delta gold sky miles card?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Residency Evil posted:

It's 5/24 for chase cards right?

Chase's 5/24 rule means that Chase generally won't approve a new credit card for anyone who has opened 5 credit cards combined across all issuers in the past 24 months.

Looking at my records, I appear to be at 23/24. Next month that will drop to 22/24. Only 17 more to go! :toot:

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

It's 5/24 for chase cards right? If so, some of you guys are waaaay more in to this than I am.

Is there any reason for me to keep my Amex prg open if I just got a delta gold sky miles card?

No, it is 5 new accounts with any bank on your credit report, so ALL account other than some business cards.

PRG has a superior earning structure to the Delta card and many more transfer partners. Whether that is worth $95/year (after using the $100 incidental credit) is up to you.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gregday posted:

Word is the CSR is a heavier, more clangy metal like the Ritz Carlton card and not like the CSP, for people who care about such things.

oh god it's me, i care about this stupid detail

It's the same design as the CSP

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I've only started getting into reward cards and my CSR is only my 2nd in the last 2 years, although I applied for a Freedom Unlimited in the same night :staredog: Then again, I work/live in sub-Saharan Africa, so I don't have any opportunities to use a credit card besides airfare and vacations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

surrender posted:

I've only started getting into reward cards and my CSR is only my 2nd in the last 2 years, although I applied for a Freedom Unlimited in the same night :staredog: Then again, I work/live in sub-Saharan Africa, so I don't have any opportunities to use a credit card besides airfare and vacations.

Are you going to be able to hit the minimum spend to get the bonus points (which makes it all worth it?)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Ugh pretty sure I'm 5/24'd on the CSR (got the 7-10 day wait) and won't be out of that for like 18 months. Considering product changing my CSP to it, if the travel credit is per calendar year as opposed to statement year I'll probably do it, but missing that bonus is a bummer.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Shadowhand00 posted:

Are you going to be able to hit the minimum spend to get the bonus points (which makes it all worth it?)

Yeah, easily - I have to purchase an RT ticket back to the US in October, plus (at least) a week in hotel stays in the capital before and after my trip.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

wyoak posted:

Ugh pretty sure I'm 5/24'd on the CSR (got the 7-10 day wait) and won't be out of that for like 18 months. Considering product changing my CSP to it, if the travel credit is per calendar year as opposed to statement year I'll probably do it, but missing that bonus is a bummer.

What's the consensus on PC'ing within chase to this card and not getting the bonus? Still worth it?

Perhaps my wife will just get it for the bonus and I'll get an AU card. From what I read on DoC, AUs purchasing in the travel category will get the $300 airline credit (not in addition to her getting one, still one total for both of us).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

What's the consensus on PC'ing within chase to this card and not getting the bonus? Still worth it?

Perhaps my wife will just get it for the bonus and I'll get an AU card. From what I read on DoC, AUs purchasing in the travel category will get the $300 airline credit (not in addition to her getting one, still one total for both of us).

I wouldn't PC for $150. If you are getting more value out of the categories or something else then it may be worth it but there are a lot of credit cards with signup bonuses that I would focus on instead.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm new at this, when you sign up for a baller card like this CSR and you are presented with offers like airport lounge access and avis preferred status and tsa pre check credit fee and whatever else, are these all as 100% baller as heeeeelllllll like they sound or should I be watching out for gotchas or generally losing propositions?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm pretty sure they're baller as hell. Makes me wish I flew more often.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DeceasedHorse posted:

No, it is 5 new accounts with any bank on your credit report, so ALL account other than some business cards.

PRG has a superior earning structure to the Delta card and many more transfer partners. Whether that is worth $95/year (after using the $100 incidental credit) is up to you.

Ah, should be ok still. I just hit the spending on my Delta Amex for the bonus, with my Amex PRG being up for renewal in October. Sounds like it's worth hanging on to the Amex PRG since I fly Delta a lot?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Ah, should be ok still. I just hit the spending on my Delta Amex for the bonus, with my Amex PRG being up for renewal in October. Sounds like it's worth hanging on to the Amex PRG since I fly Delta a lot?
[/

[quote="

[quote="Residency Evil" post="463511829"]

Run your budget through excel easily enough to see if the marginal value you get from the bonus categories is worth the fee; I'm not in a delta hub so I am less familiar with their mileage program.

Also, ask Amex for a retention offer, either now (you dont actually have to wait for your fee renewal date) or when your fee posts. From flyer talk, the standard offer for people who actually use the card is your choice of either 7500 points or a $100 statement credit after hitting a spending threshold. If you get one of those offers, the fee would be a wash.

If you do end up closing the PRG, don't forget to transfer out any points you have left of it is your only membership rewards card.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm new at this, when you sign up for a baller card like this CSR and you are presented with offers like airport lounge access and avis preferred status and tsa pre check credit fee and whatever else, are these all as 100% baller as heeeeelllllll like they sound or should I be watching out for gotchas or generally losing propositions?

There's no gotchas, but it's really dependent on where you are and travel for how useful they are. Also, don't use the credit for TSA precheck, get Global entry instead as it's fully covered by the credit and includes precheck.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

surrender posted:

although I applied for a Freedom Unlimited in the same night :staredog: Then again, I work/live in sub-Saharan Africa, so I don't have any opportunities to use a credit card besides airfare and vacations.
Be aware that the Freedom Unlimited has foreign transaction fees.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

On that note, what's the best card to handle foreign transactions?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you want a simple no ftf card the CapOne Quicksilver is decent.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Pryor on Fire posted:

Amex Centurion lounges are pretty baller. I don't think anything's really a gotcha though I don't think the status upgrades for hotel and rental cars are really that great (though I've never used Avis without Preferred so maybe it's lovely otherwise?).

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I really like Amex Centurion Lounges. Luckily I live next to SFO so I get to go any time I travel anywhere.

The CSR is super nice since you get the 100k points, you get the $300 travel credit, and you get UR transfer partners. Its not nice because it doesn't necessarily give you status for anything.

The best old card for status (which isn't offered) was the United MilesagePlus Presidential:

Avis President’s Club membership (ends December 2015)
Hertz President’s Circle membership (starting January 2015)
Hyatt Platinum status

It also let your purchases count towards status. Unfortunately, I don't think there's many cards that let you do this anymore.

Regarding these expensive cards though - it still costs $150 so if the lounge/point benefit is worth more to you than the annual fee, no real gotchas.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Probably dumb question about minimum spend and fees/credits.

Which of these count towards minimum spend and which don't?

I assume these don't:
* Annual Fee
* Any other fees

I assume these do:
* Global Entry Fee (which is credited back)
* Airfare (which is credited back)

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dexter6 posted:

I assume these don't:
* Annual Fee
* Any other fees

I assume these do:

You should probably read the terms to verify, but the general rule is that balance transfers, cash advances, fees, and returns don't count and everything else does.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

dexter6 posted:

I assume these don't:
* Annual Fee
* Any other fees

I assume these do:

Which card?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

DNK posted:

There's a few that don't charge a processing fee. I've just been using my Citi AA Platinum to import speakers from the UK and haven't had an issue.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

DNK posted:

This question is far to generic to give a good answer. A lot of non-ftf cards have an annual fee that may or may not be waived for the first year along with differences in rewards and perks so there are a ton of individual factors that will make the best card different for each person. Capital One Quicksilver, mentioned above, is a pretty good generic answer as it has no annual fee and a flat 1.5% cash back.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Citi Prestige

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

DNK posted:

Probably a MasterCard of some sort. Visa's exchange rates are ~1% higher than market, and Amex/Discover are not as universally accepted as Visa/MC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shadowhand00 posted:

I really like Amex Centurion Lounges. Luckily I live next to SFO so I get to go any time I travel anywhere.

The CSR is super nice since you get the 100k points, you get the $300 travel credit, and you get UR transfer partners. Its not nice because it doesn't necessarily give you status for anything.

The best old card for status (which isn't offered) was the United MilesagePlus Presidential:

Avis President’s Club membership (ends December 2015)
Hertz President’s Circle membership (starting January 2015)
Hyatt Platinum status

It also let your purchases count towards status. Unfortunately, I don't think there's many cards that let you do this anymore.

Regarding these expensive cards though - it still costs $150 so if the lounge/point benefit is worth more to you than the annual fee, no real gotchas.

I'm having on and off second thoughts as to whether I should have upgraded, mostly because the CSR isn't really giving me very much beyond the increased points earning on dining, which I do modestly often considering it applies to coffee shops and the like as well. I already have Priority Pass memberships through the Prestige (which I'm going to change into something without an AF) and Amex Platinum (got in on that 100k bonus), and the Platinum actually gets me into Delta lounges as well, considering it's my main choice of airline right now. It'd be easy to just change it to a Freedom Unlimited or something but I'm unsure at this point.