Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

so I know most people hate on Donks, but...

looks like they're smarter than we give them credit for.

Nobody hates Noah's Donk, I bet he's got 2 of every type of prostitute in the trunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Nobody hates Noah's Donk, I bet he's got 2 of every type of prostitute in the trunk

This made me giggle.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The live kind and the dead kind?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Huge_Midget posted:

The live kind and the dead kind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wup1cEdgOWs

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

http://jalopnik.com/5481005/video-the-demented-rocket-propelled-genius-of-turbonique

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Love that Galaxie :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

loving pro-click right here. That's awesome, I never even heard of that until now :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

:dogbutton:

I had absolutely no idea that such a thing ever existed.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Raluek posted:

Love that Galaxie :allears:

I love the story of the guy who owns that Galaxie, he want to sell it on auction, during the actual auction his son turned to him and wen "daddy, why do you want to sell that car? it's awesome" or something like that, so the guy started bidding on his own car and won it back, he was out something like 40k due to buyers premium, but he said it was worth it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
:perfect:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Farmland Park posted:

I love the story of the guy who owns that Galaxie, he want to sell it on auction, during the actual auction his son turned to him and wen "daddy, why do you want to sell that car? it's awesome" or something like that, so the guy started bidding on his own car and won it back, he was out something like 40k due to buyers premium, but he said it was worth it.

I gotta admit, reading about it several years ago when the car came up for auction sparked my desire to someday own a FE, 4-speed, '64 galaxie 500 xl (fastback, bucket seats). In black, of course. Probably won't have the jet turbine, though

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Holy poo poo, videos of it! I've been waiting for this for years!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Goddamn monopropellant turbine rear-end.

:wtc:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It doesn't burn hydrazine, but I still wouldn't want any kind of monopropellant in something that gets driven on the streets.

They also completely outstripped the grip of the tires that were available back then.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Roadkill.com posted a somewhat-inspired-by-Stranger-Things list of cars from the 80s that are less than $5k. Worth the click for the images of old adverts if nothing else.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Roadkill.com posted a somewhat-inspired-by-Stranger-Things list of cars from the 80s that are less than $5k. Worth the click for the images of old adverts if nothing else.

Roadkill "gets" me so well that it makes me wonder why we even have other car magazines:

quote:

Hailing from a rural Midwestern town originally, this author is familiar with pickup-truck culture; as a result, rather than pick one truck, we know how this works: You’re a fan of the 1980s offerings from one of the Big Three and nothing will convince you otherwise.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

scuz posted:

Please can we take a moment to appreciate these wheels...

Thank you for your time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, the oldsmobile wagons were wayyyyy better.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

So how does this madness actually propel the car? Does it turn the wheels or is it just rocket propulsion?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yes! The turbine is attached to the ring gear and the nozzle adds rocket exhaust.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The thing I've never been able to understand is how you're supposed to do throttle control with those. There seems to be no provision for a throttle cable although maybe that's what the vacuum hose is for.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The thing I've never been able to understand is how you're supposed to do throttle control with those. There seems to be no provision for a throttle cable although maybe that's what the vacuum hose is for.

As far as I can tell, you're, uh, not. WOT or off, nothing between. :getin:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a monopropellant-fueled rocket turbine built to put on a car. I'm not sure they concerned themselves with petty mortal concepts like "throttle control" or "operator safety" or "not exploding".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Always Be Combusting :allears:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's a one cycle engine. A continuous explosion.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

scuz posted:

I love Roadkill and I get where they come from in car culture, but man is their exclusion of Japanese cars is a huge miss for 80s cars!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'll apologize in advance for being a Motortrend On Demand shill, but holy poo poo the latest Dirt Every Day episode is hilarious. I love Cheap Truck Challenge :allears:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheFonz posted:

I love Roadkill and I get where they come from in car culture, but man is their exclusion of Japanese cars is a huge miss for 80s cars!
Ugh, you're right. No Rabbits, either, but Roadkill has always been about 'Murica sheet metal, and that's a drag. Is there a Roadkill-esque show for those kind of imports? I'd LOVE to see that.

TheFonz & scuz Present: Axles of Evil

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd love it but I think the knowledge isn't there. The idea of tuning up a Lancia Beta would just leave people scratching their heads.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Freiburger has talked about wanting to do smaller engines, 4-cylinder stuff. But they just tend to fall back to V8s and the odd V6, because that's what they know best. Episode 55 will have an inline-6, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Roadkill needs to do a world tour and build stuff up from cars native (ish) to those countries.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
They DID have that nice, long phone conversation with the MCM guys, perhaps a visit is in the works (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I'm hoping something comes of that in the not too distant future.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder:

Though yeah, they should go to some eastern block countries and try to stick a V8 into a Lada or something.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That doesn't count, because it has a chevy engine with a ford turbo in it. Besides, only 40% of the car's bodywork is left, anyway, so it's less than half a japanese car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Artwork by Singer

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jamal posted:

Artwork by Singer

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

jamal posted:

Artwork by Singer

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jamal posted:

Artwork by Singer

Great googley-moogley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's a monopropellant-fueled rocket turbine built to put on a car. I'm not sure they concerned themselves with petty mortal concepts like "throttle control" or "operator safety" or "not exploding".

They worked all that into their advertising strategy.