Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

It seems odd that Toryama introduced 2 distinct fusion methods in one arc. Maybe I've forgotten something but why couldn't Goku and Vegeta just fusion dance themselves?
IIRC DBZ Movie 12 had already come out by this point in the manga's run, and Toriyama didn't want to step on the movie's toes by just using Gogeta again so he came with the whole Potara idea instead.

In the story they justify this by saying the Potara Earrings are stronger than the Fusion Dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it was more you had to train and practice to use the fusion dance, which they didn't have time for.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Also didn't Vegeta just literally dropped in right when Goku was fighting Buu?

Also yup, even though Goku instant transmission'd Buu found him really quick. Wouldn't had time to dance at all.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 23, 2016

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I dunno, I think Buu would have been up for it if they challenged him to a dance-off..

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
I think it was a ticking clock thing. Goku was like "oh no i gotta go beat buu" and old kai was like "take these earrings"

wasnt goku originally planning on using them with gohan?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Law Cheetah posted:

I think it was a ticking clock thing. Goku was like "oh no i gotta go beat buu" and old kai was like "take these earrings"

yea

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Law Cheetah posted:

GOKHAN

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Oh yeah, and didn't bullet-catching ultra athlete Gohan fumble it when Goku tossed it to him?

They're actually kinda lucky it didn't work out.. They probably would have obliterated Buu, but think of how weird it would be going home to Chichi..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Gohan + goku would have created an insanely well adjusted individual who is capable of reasonable training to fight evil while still holding down a job

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

New abridged was excellent.
Pretty much every character got great jokes in, even Yamcha.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Eh I've actually been enjoying it again as of late, mostly because LK cut down on all the stupid fanfic nonsense that plagued the Noah arc and finally started poking fun at how stupid the show can be again, and lord knows the Dartz arc had plenty of material in that regard.

Yeah in retrospect the meta-humor got way too out of control with YGO Abridged, but it's been pretty funny as of late.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 23, 2016

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
One of the names in Cell's list of destroyed cities is Penguin Village, and I call bullshit on that because Arale would have punched him into another galaxy :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she was on vacation

New Leaf posted:

Oh yeah, and didn't bullet-catching ultra athlete Gohan fumble it when Goku tossed it to him?

They're actually kinda lucky it didn't work out.. They probably would have obliterated Buu, but think of how weird it would be going home to Chichi..

yea gohan didn't catch the earring and they had to go looking for it

they could have just wished to separate in tho; they did it in super

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea gohan didn't catch the earring and they had to go looking for it

they could have just wished to separate in tho; they did it in super

The Namekian dragon balls were powerful enough to work apparently, which they didn't know, but not the Earth balls could not do it.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The discussion in the JoJo's thread, in combination with playing Xenoverse for the first time recently, has made me feel like watching the old DB/DBZ series, since I barely remember anything about them other than the major antagonists of the three main arcs (Frieza, Cell, Majin Buu).

Is there a general consensus in this thread on which release is best, between Kai and the original series (and between specific dubs or subtitled?) I haven't watched a Dragonball in like 15 years, and kind of want to get back in but have no idea where to start, or if I should just say screw it and just watch abridged or whatever to save time. I've read that Kai cuts out a bunch of filler but is it bad filler? I know the driving lessons episode is a thing and I would hate to miss out on that. :colbert:

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 23, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Hi thread, if I feel like watching the old dragonball / dragonball z series, is there a general consensus in this thread on which release is best, between kai and the original series (and between specific dubs or subtitled?) I haven't watched a dragonball in like 15 years, and kind of want to get back in but have no idea where to start, or if I even should. Should I just watch abridged?

Kai is generally better in terms of pacing and animation. It has a few cuts people dislike but you can just watch the Driving Cars episode online or something and not sit through 5 episodes of padding powerups.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

ImpAtom posted:

Kai is generally better in terms of pacing and animation. It has a few cuts people dislike but you can just watch the Driving Cars episode online or something and not sit through 5 episodes of padding powerups.

Thanks, you actually caught me while I was editing my post for more info, but yeah, I want to see silly stuff like Driving Cars but could do without entire episodes of powering up and nothing else happening. Is there a list of Filler Episodes to Watch? I could then just pair that with Kai, I bet.

Edit: Interesting non-manga stuff is also welcome if it's actually interesting and not just screaming and powering up to stall for time.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 23, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You'll want the cars episode, of course, but Kai also lacks History of Trunks and only shows a bit of Bardock: the Father of Goku, both of which are canon (or...sort-of canon in the case of the latter, thanks to Minus' messy retcons) and absolutely worth the watch.

I don't think there's any more filler that's particularly needed. I guess the Otherworld Tournament had some cool moments, like the Super Kaio-ken, but Super now did that better.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'd recommend Kai unless you have a second monitor or something to play the original episodes on while you do other things. Pacing in Kai is so much better.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You'll want the cars episode, of course, but Kai also lacks History of Trunks and only shows a bit of Bardock: the Father of Goku, both of which are canon (or...sort-of canon in the case of the latter, thanks to Minus' messy retcons) and absolutely worth the watch.

I don't think there's any more filler that's particularly needed. I guess the Otherworld Tournament had some cool moments, like the Super Kaio-ken, but Super now did that better.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks. I'll probably check out the Otherworld Tournament as well, if other people also think stuff like that is cool.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'd recommend Kai unless you have a second monitor or something to play the original episodes on while you do other things. Pacing in Kai is so much better.

I mean, I certainly could put it on while grinding in Monster Hunter or whatever, but I'm getting the impression that that's not the best viewing experience. :v:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

It isn't just them cutting episodes out, they recut the entire show, redubbed the entire thing, and even reanimated some bits. Kai is absolutely the way to go now. Old DBZ looks dated in comparison.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kai misses the garlick jr stuff if you want to see the b team run around without goku to hold their hand

I don't remember if it's good but it's there

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

kai misses the garlick jr stuff if you want to see the b team run around without goku to hold their hand

I don't remember if it's good but it's there

It's not

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Blaze Dragon posted:

If I recall correctly, History of Trunks and Bardock Father of Goku weren't even in the mainline DBZ series though. They were movies/specials or whatever. Kai didn't cut them out. Part of History of Trunks may have been in a little bit, but it was definitely a fleshed out special.

If anything Kai actually ADDED Bardock into the mainline cannon of Dragonball Z.

You should probably watch the "Good" movies as well. Generally accepted as 'Fun' ones are Dead Zone, History of Trunks, Bardock father of Goku, Bojack Unbound, and Fusion Reborn.

Of note, the two new movies are generally well regarded, I happen to really enjoy them, but some don't like the new direction, those are of course Battle of Gods and Ressurection F.

World's Strongest, Super Android 13, and Cooler's Revenge get some love. The Abridged versions of these are also awesome. Super Android 13 may be my favorite thing that Team Four Star has done!

Lord Slug, Tree of Might, Return of Cooler, Wrath of the Dragon, and all 3 Broly movies are super skippable. I know there is someone out there that loves Tree of Might and Wrath of the Dragon, but meh. Hell I know of people who love Bio Broly, doesn't make it right.

Absolutely correct, you get to skip all the Garlic Jr. bullshit for free with Kai. If you want to see the only good parts of Garlic, watch Dead Zone.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Just what the show whatever way is easier and cheaper and stop worrying about dumb stuff like filler. Nobody that watched Z in 97 cared that Garlic Jr "wasn't cannon" bardock and trunks came out after the frizea saga and are cool movies but nothing you need to watch. Trunks goes over his history in the series and bardocks movie is only useful for sayian history.

RBX fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 24, 2016

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RBX posted:

Just what the show whatever way is easier and cheaper and stop worrying about dumb stuff like filler. Nobody that watched Z in 97 cared that Garlic Jr "wasn't cannon"

We did call it lovely, though.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Thanks, I think I'll watch Kai with the recommended movies inserted where it makes sense. I'm a bit curious about what the hell garlic jr. is all about if it's both in a recommended movie as well as filler, but I supposed I can just check a wiki for that if the arc isn't very good?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

^his movie introduces him, his saga in the series is his return.

Yeah right. After a million ginyu saga reruns any actual new content was awesome also we were 8

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is there a general consensus in this thread on which release is best, between Kai and the original series (and between specific dubs or subtitled?) I haven't watched a Dragonball in like 15 years, and kind of want to get back in but have no idea where to start, or if I should just say screw it and just watch abridged or whatever to save time. I've read that Kai cuts out a bunch of filler but is it bad filler? I know the driving lessons episode is a thing and I would hate to miss out on that. :colbert:

the manga is the best release

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yinz forgot the 10 days leading up to the Cell games. I think ocean Vegeta and Frieza sound better too.

Haze @goku on twitter if you feel like goonsquading on someone. He's a friend of mine who's a big ol dragonball nerd.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Drowning Rabbit posted:

If I recall correctly, History of Trunks and Bardock Father of Goku weren't even in the mainline DBZ series though. They were movies/specials or whatever. Kai didn't cut them out. Part of History of Trunks may have been in a little bit, but it was definitely a fleshed out special.

If anything Kai actually ADDED Bardock into the mainline cannon of Dragonball Z.

You should probably watch the "Good" movies as well. Generally accepted as 'Fun' ones are Dead Zone, History of Trunks, Bardock father of Goku, Bojack Unbound, and Fusion Reborn.

Of note, the two new movies are generally well regarded, I happen to really enjoy them, but some don't like the new direction, those are of course Battle of Gods and Ressurection F.

World's Strongest, Super Android 13, and Cooler's Revenge get some love. The Abridged versions of these are also awesome. Super Android 13 may be my favorite thing that Team Four Star has done!

Lord Slug, Tree of Might, Return of Cooler, Wrath of the Dragon, and all 3 Broly movies are super skippable. I know there is someone out there that loves Tree of Might and Wrath of the Dragon, but meh. Hell I know of people who love Bio Broly, doesn't make it right.

I said lacks, not cuts. Kai not adapting HIstory of Trunks as an episode of the show was a really weird move when it is canon, as it is based on the manga, and actually really good. Hell, it made Super have to redo a scene for a flashback, with...questionable results. Using a part of Bardock was a really good move though.

History of Trunks and Bardock: the Father of Goku are not movies. I also don't agree with a part of your list, Bojack was an incredibly mediocre movie that should be skipped, and Cooler's Revenge definitely deserves top-ranking. Not Meta-Cooler though, that was lame as hell. Wrath of the Dragon has some really cool moments too, even if it could've used less Goku.

And yeah, once you finish the series, watching Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F" is a must. Both happen after a special, Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return or something like that which also should be watched.

And Super. And the videogames. And the manga. The Dragon Ball train never ends.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

Thanks, I think I'll watch Kai with the recommended movies inserted where it makes sense. I'm a bit curious about what the hell garlic jr. is all about if it's both in a recommended movie as well as filler, but I supposed I can just check a wiki for that if the arc isn't very good?

I hate where some of the movies are supposed to be inserted, primarily because most of them make absolutely no sense. There isn't a time period where Gohan would know how to fight, Goku wouldn't have Super Saiyan powers and would be alive on earth at the same time as Piccolo, but that's the general conceit of most of the early movies. Or that the whole gang would hop on a space ship for some new Saiyan empire while waiting for the Cell Games. Don't bother with that nonsense, just watch them and enjoy them as a self contained story.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

All the movies are just alternate timelines or w/e

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Super discussion So are there supposed to be 4 Gods of Destruction since there are 4 kais (well were there's one now.)

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

SirKibbles posted:

Super discussion So are there supposed to be 4 Gods of Destruction since there are 4 kais (well were there's one now.)

It has yet to be specified. I assume it's like horcrux or something.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

SirKibbles posted:

I see it as a balance thing. God of Destruction cannot exist without a God of Creation (Supreme Kai) there to make new things. So far it seems to be at least one active Supreme Kai is required for a God of Destruction to exist. It's still not given much detail since we only JUST got this information, but so far it seems to be a more "cosmic balance" sort of thing than a Kami-Piccolo style direct link. It does tie back to some of Beerus' comments in various media about how things need to be destroyed before new things can be created.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SirKibbles posted:

There were 5, including the Grand Kaioshin that sacrificed himself to turn Buu into Fat Buu. Presumably the current Kaioshin has his job now.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

StrifeHira posted:

I see it as a balance thing. God of Destruction cannot exist without a God of Creation (Supreme Kai) there to make new things. So far it seems to be at least one active Supreme Kai is required for a God of Destruction to exist. It's still not given much detail since we only JUST got this information, but so far it seems to be a more "cosmic balance" sort of thing than a Kami-Piccolo style direct link. It does tie back to some of Beerus' comments in various media about how things need to be destroyed before new things can be created.

Goku asks if he wanted to beat Beerus if all he had to do was beat the Kai and Whis also says it's fine to tell Goku because he wouldn't do that,so it really does seem like a Kami-Piccolo type thing. I feel like if it just meant he couldn't do anything until a new Kai showed up he wouldn't freak out mostly because he's lazy and he pretty much already does nothing.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Maybe all the kaioshins were in training like Zamasu was and only the fat kaioshin was an actual one

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

He's the Grand Supreme Kai, the rest had directional names like the normal Kais

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

SirKibbles posted:

Goku asks if he wanted to beat Beerus if all he had to do was beat the Kai and Whis also says it's fine to tell Goku because he wouldn't do that,so it really does seem like a Kami-Piccolo type thing. I feel like if it just meant he couldn't do anything until a new Kai showed up he wouldn't freak out mostly because he's lazy and he pretty much already does nothing.

That's... basically what I said, though? There's a cosmic link between them, and Beerus as a God of Destruction can't exist without a God of Creation to balance him. He'd be gone if the Supreme Kai died, because that guy is the only living one left. If it were the Grand Supreme Kai or the West Supreme Kai or whoever that survived Buu's rampage, Beerus would still be fine. He himself isn't personally linked to the surviving Supreme Kai like Piccolo and Kami were, but that their "positions" as creator god and destroyer god are linked. It's like a cosmic check on the Gods of Destruction to make sure they don't go too far when they destroy things. There weren't multiple Gods of Destruction out there, and Beerus existed before the current Supreme Kai even came into being (Elder Kai was sealed by him, remember), but there always existed someone in the Supreme Kai role while Beerus has been around.

• Locked thread