Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tater_salad posted:

Someone who can see please tell me what this says. I'm on the border of colorblind or not and this one is a fail fo me

Edit: Nevermind stared at it for another min.

Hey gently caress you buddy.

You’re fully colourblind.

Sorry you had to learn this on a comedy forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
The do throw in a couple "nothing there" ones.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's called a work-to-rule and is a loving devastating weapon in the arsenal of a union in the right industry.

That is basically the shop at my job but literally all of the time. Guess where I work.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

That is basically the shop at my job but literally all of the time. Guess where I work.

Walmart?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ak Gara posted:

Walmart?

Lol they're not union. Come on, man.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The thriving English automotive industry.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Krinkle posted:

I checked out the color blind test and every now and then there was just grey on grey with no number but at the end it said I"m not color blind. Were those false positives tossed in there to see if you're honest about not being able to see poo poo and might just be guessing? Or is there a magical color out there I just can't see and all I perceive is grey but they are withholding that information from me for some nefarious purpose. I feel like my enemies are writing secret notes in octarine or whatever and laughing at me now.

nothing____

nothing_

nothing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
2, 6, 1

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Krinkle posted:

Do I mean false negative then?
Ugh, I can't get a screen shot of it because my shortcut key for puu.sh makes me guess the number 4. Now I'm colorblind, officially, for bad guessing of the number 4 too many times. Thanks a lot.

There were a couple where the difference was very subtle, and I saw at least 1 grey one where I couldn't see a number at all. :shrug: I guess the only thing you can do is buy the $400 magic glasses and take the test again to see if there is a difference.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Liar

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

He's right.

2 is a tad more blue, 6 and 1 and bit redder, but I could imagine not being able to read it in daylight.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lurking Haro posted:

He's right.

2 is a tad more blue, 6 and 1 and bit redder, but I could imagine not being able to read it in daylight.

Confirmed, it's tricky to see for me though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
To prove I’m not making stuff up, with saturation enhancement:

e: That’s +85 for the 2, +95 for the others in Photoshop. I’m not saying it’s easy to see, but if you’re primed for those exact number shapes thanks to the previous test images, it is visible to the naked eye.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 23, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Are you a bumble bee? :aaa:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Platystemon posted:

e: That’s +85 for the 2, +95 for the others in Photoshop. I’m not saying it’s easy to see, but if you’re primed for those exact number shapes thanks to the previous test images, it is visible to the naked eye.

hahahaha you are such a dick

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

A significant portion of the population, while not outright colorblind, does have issues distinguishing between certain hues of colors, which is what those specific images show. I couldn't read the numbers at all and I'm definitely not colorblind, but I ran across this exact scenario in a class, maybe biology, in highschool, and over half the class couldn't see those specific images, whereas I think we only had 1-2 actual colorblind people in class.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lurking Haro posted:

He's right.

I saw the 2, but even after staring at it for several seconds I wasn't entirely sure it wasn't a hallucination.

The 6 and 1 defeated me. I'm going to blame my screen settings. Definitely that and not my eyes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MF_James posted:

A significant portion of the population, while not outright colorblind, does have issues distinguishing between certain hues of colors, which is what those specific images show. I couldn't read the numbers at all and I'm definitely not colorblind, but I ran across this exact scenario in a class, maybe biology, in highschool, and over half the class couldn't see those specific images, whereas I think we only had 1-2 actual colorblind people in class.

This is a good test for distinguishing fine differences in shade.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Professor of Cats posted:

I wonder if it takes longer for a color-blind person to notice their disadvantage or for a regular person to figure out why they get huffy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Platystemon posted:

Lord, I tried to do this, I got about halfway through and my eyes started crossing, it seems decent enough, but it's too much to handle at once, perhaps if each "bar" of color was a different page, but the drat blocks started breathing and colors meshing together, it was too much for my brain to handle at once.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Could be your monitor is poo poo too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems hosed up we've colour coded so much of the world on exact shades most common for people to have problems seeing, then stubbornly refuse to even slightly adapt our standards.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Platystemon posted:

My score: 4
Best score in my age group: ~-40k
Worst score in my age group: ~100k

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

I turned up my brightness and the colors were a lot more visible. Maybe colorblind people just need more light.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I got a perfect score of 0 :smug:

My future's looking bright at the hue factory

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

I wonder if it takes longer for a color-blind person to notice their disadvantage or for a regular person to figure out why they get huffy.

Either way, it is legit hilarious.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FogHelmut posted:

On a different monitor, I can kinda see the 2 and the 1. But I can't see enough color in the 6 to make out any shape on either my crappy laptop screen, or TV.

This was the hardest to see one that I could identify on my laptop. On my TV screen, the 2 and 1 are about as hard to see as this is on my laptop.

Great way to find out my eyes aren't as good as I thought!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I could see the 2,6, and 1 but I work in color critical applications

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

jetz0r posted:

nothing____

nothing_

nothing

yeah i can see these pretty easy, and they really jump out on a full brightness OLED display. the last one was a little more difficult to resolve the shape, but the hue difference is quickly apparent.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
On switchgear and SCADA indicators we have red as on and green as off.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

9, but I could only out the 2 and the 6.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mostlygray posted:

Speaking of wire colors, I'm red/green color blind. Green, brown, red, orange all look the same depending on shade and context. Also, blue and purple look the same. I swear that no devices take red/green color blindness into consideration. When your server has an indicator light that says green=good, amber=notification, red=failure, I can't tell the difference at all. It wouldn't be hard to engineer the equipment to take into account the 1 in 10 people that are the same as me.

Fun fact: until recently, yes it would be hard to engineer the equipment to use different colors. The first commercial LEDs were red, and yellow and green were developed shortly afterwards. It wasn't until decades later that the technology to make blue LEDs was stumbled upon, mostly by accident. That breakthrough gave us the ability to mix RGB LEDs to simulate any color, and also further innovations that let us fine-tune the color of a single LED so you can have single-chip LEDs in weird colors like lime green or pink. But until 1998 or so, the only way to have an indicator light that wasn't red, yellow or green was to use a tiny light bulb with a colored lens.

Even today, building 3 LEDs into the place of one and including the hardware to drive them all individually to mix any color is an engineering challenge. Electronics companies aren't going to waste all that money when 90% of the market can read a 0.5 cent red LED just fine, right?

He's not faking the enhancements -- I can see all three of the original numbers. Sorry you're finding this out this way.

e: I got a perfect 0 on the color test.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 24, 2016

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Fun fact: until recently, yes it would be hard to engineer the equipment to use different colors. The first commercial LEDs were red, and yellow and green were developed shortly afterwards. It wasn't until decades later that the technology to make blue LEDs was stumbled upon, mostly by accident. That breakthrough gave us the ability to mix RGB LEDs to simulate any color, and also further innovations that let us fine-tune the color of a single LED so you can have single-chip LEDs in weird colors like lime green or pink. But until 1998 or so, the only way to have an indicator light that wasn't red, yellow or green was to use a tiny light bulb with a colored lens.

Even today, building 3 LEDs into the place of one and including the hardware to drive them all individually to mix any color is an engineering challenge. Electronics companies aren't going to waste all that money when 90% of the market can read a 0.5 cent red LED just fine, right?

He's not faking the enhancements -- I can see all three of the original numbers. Sorry you're finding this out this way.

e: I got a perfect 0 on the color test.

Huh, now that I'm at home, I see it now? Or am I drunk?

Edit: I took the test: 12.

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 24, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

But until 1998 or so, the only way to have an indicator light that wasn't red, yellow or green was to use a tiny light bulb with a colored lens.

You could also use a gas‐discharge lamp They were kind of popular because they could be driven directly off mains power, but they were almost always one colour, neon orange, and they fell out of favour when LEDs became practical anyway.

Pretty much the only household devices that have them these days are power strips.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

Speaking of wire colors, I'm red/green color blind. Green, brown, red, orange all look the same depending on shade and context. Also, blue and purple look the same. I swear that no devices take red/green color blindness into consideration. When your server has an indicator light that says green=good, amber=notification, red=failure, I can't tell the difference at all. It wouldn't be hard to engineer the equipment to take into account the 1 in 10 people that are the same as me.

I had to send a picture to a friend not too long ago to tell if I should order a water filter for my refrigerator.

My OSHA story related to colorblindness was the warehouse I worked at a few years back. The entire place was OSHA as gently caress when I worked there, I went into the interview on a Friday when it said 425 accident free days, was told they had nothing for me, then got a call a few hours later telling me to show up on Monday, where of course the board now said 2 accident free days. It never got above 15 for the rest of the ten months I worked there. The constant ramming into racks, knocking pallets off of racks, people in receiving slicing themselves open all the time, pretty standard stuff for this thread.

But my personal hell was when the asswipe of a warehouse manager decided to make the aisles very narrow because he thought he was going to impress the CEO (it was a smallish company with one warehouse so the CEO worked right down the hall from us and could hear us destroying his inventory on a daily basis) with all the money he was going to save them by not having to expand the building.

After about a week, it became evident there was a problem with forklifts having to go all over creation to get to pick locations because we couldn't get past one another in the aisles. So his solution to this traffic problem was a set of lights that would be green when the aisle was empty and red when it was full, the idea being that you would look at all your pick orders, then all the lights and then go right to an aisle with a green light. The two problems were that we had to hit a button to change the light, once when we went in then once when we went out, which happened probably a third of the time because everybody was too busy trying to keep up productivity amidst the slowdown imposed by this nonsense. The other problem was that three out of eight forklift guys (including me) were colorblind and so we had no idea what the status of each aisle was.

This turned into a bigger nightmare, as people would just haul rear end right into an aisle with a green light when it should have been red and hit other forklifts. After a few instances of almost being run over and one particularly fun time when a 3000 lb pallet crashed down ten feet to my right, I decided to look for another job and thankfully got the hell out of there. I didn't give my two weeks because I was actually honestly doubting if I'd survive two weeks, literally or emotionally. When I told the boss I wasn't coming back Monday, he told me not to ever call him for a reference, to which I replied that he wasn't long for the company either since somebody would be killed on his watch.

Fortunately and unfortunately, I turned out to be half right. There was one guy who had always been a menace on a forklift, even before the floor got hosed up, and he was given a manual pallet jack and told to ask somebody else to get stuff down for him. His productivity targets weren't reduced to account for these delays, however, so he eventually took to simply climbing up the racks like a monkey, then scaling back down with product sometimes weighing sixty pounds under one arm and the other arm hanging on as he hopped down each level. This behavior was ignored. The week after I left, somebody drove through an 18 foot rack that he was on top of, causing him to break a lot of bones, though thankfully not die. I never got the full report on how it shook out, but the boss was fired that day because the CEO had heard enough calamities through his office wall and the climber guy was fired for willfully acting in an unsafe manner.

That job was a learning experience, to say the least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh, now that I'm at home, I see it now? Or am I drunk?

Edit: I took the test: 12.

The colors are very subtle, and it's possible that a lovely screen or difficult environmental lighting (e.g. the old fashioned fluorescents that make your skin look green) would make it harder to pick them out. But they're definitely there. I am reading this thread on a Samsung TV -- I've got it calibrated well, but it's not some super designer monitor with ten billion colors or whatever.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Speaking of tones/colors this one is my favorite optical illusion wise, if only for the fact that I know a and b should be the same color, and have proven it multiple times to myself they are, but my brain won't except it lol. And to me they don't look slightly different they look like two shades different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that's a super powerful one. Your brain has to work that way, though, to be able to understand lighting and shadowing properly. The part of your brain that makes it impossible to see those two squares as the same color is exactly the same part that allows you to understand that all of the light gray squares must be the same tone, even though the ones in the shadow are objectively darker.