Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah I used to work there in the Mario strikers era (different project). Nintendo's cutting their cheques but theres no first party exclusivity there unless things have changed.

The studio head gave an interview a couple years ago where he said they were done being a multiple-team studio and that they'd keep making games for Nintendo for as long as Nintendo kept giving them good projects. That being said, they seem to be staffing up for a non-Nintendo game right now so I wonder if they might feel burned by the relentless negativity surrounding the new Metroid game, or if Nintendo's wiping their hands of them or something. (I hope not, they were clearly just working to their brief.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I doubt Nintendo looks at it like that or Codename STEAM would have resulted in Intelligent Systems' closure

I dont think Nintendo has released any one super great game this year inhouse or otherwise so they probably would write this whole year off. I mean Kirby Robobobobobo and Paper Jam are good, FE Fates seems to be good, but nothing like Splatoon or Mario Maker or Yoshi Wooly World in 2015. Everyone is on NX projects and they were probably like "look 2016 is just the B-Sides and Rarities year"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 23, 2016

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

InFlames235 posted:

Let me just hold onto hope that Nintendo will opt for the more powerful processor before they crush my dreams and announce a special Tegra processor that is actually half the power of the X1 with 500MB of RAM

If Nintendo does this and when the NX inevitably crashes and burns I hope they just get out of the console/handheld business and only make games for PC and mobile.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Red Bones posted:

I agree with that shareholder who said they should make bread, I'd buy nintendo bread

Still a better idea than the Wii U Gamepad.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

spasticColon posted:

If Nintendo does this and when the NX inevitably crashes and burns I hope they just get out of the console/handheld business and only make games for PC and mobile.

Oh man the thought of Zelda with PC graphics is mind boggling.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

spasticColon posted:

i hope everyone who has been regurgitating this take for going on two decades now crashes and burns

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Boten Anna posted:

i hope everyone who has been regurgitating this take for going on two decades now crashes and burns

but... but... but look at sega and how well they're doing after going third party and how all their non-sonic franchises are performing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Boten Anna posted:

:yeah:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Instant Sunrise posted:

but... but... but look at sega and how well they're doing after going third party and how all their non-sonic franchises are performing.

the sega IP graveyard is fascinating. people take it as proof that nintendo would not be able to make a variety of games if they weren't serving their own console but sega feels like an extremely epic failure of a company so i'm not sure.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Soul Glo posted:

If you buy Yoshi eggs from a chain grocery then they're unfertilized, no risk of cracking a half formed Yoshi for your Sunday breakfast

But how do they smell? haha

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You're setting yourselves for a disappointment if you think Nintendo is going head to head with PS4 and XBone in terms of processing power. Nintendo went the cheap-skate route years ago.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rexroom posted:

You're setting yourselves for a disappointment if you think Nintendo is going head to head with PS4 and XBone in terms of processing power. Nintendo went the cheap-skate route years ago.

Yeah, they'll do BETTER than the PS4 and XBone.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/746342992424878080

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BillmasterCozb posted:

If it is, I've been enjoying it the past couple of months. My picks are:

Goomba's Iced Coffee
Princess Peach Tart
Koopa Troopa's Lemon Cupcake
Yoshi's Honeydew

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Argue posted:

Nintendo will be going back to their roots. The NX is a brand new way to think about playing cards. Remember, playing cards already have the advantage of being played at home or taken with you on the go. They'll be following it up with a love hotel and taxi service.
The NX cartridges are in the form of playing cards. You can get something like the TG-16 HuCards, or collectible eReader cards for eShop games, just need to swipe all 52 cards to load your game.

Rexroom posted:

They went cheap with the power (...barring however much IBM charged them for Wii U's custom hodgepodge), but still blew money on other aspects. And they're obsessed with low power so I wouldn't be surprised if they spent extra for that, and the costs might be offset by having more dies/wafer with the smaller process node.

Not that it really matters as far as power, I think like theoretical peak would be like Xbone level either way, and they'd probably tone it down for more efficiency anyway. It'd still have potential to be a big jump over Wii U, not that necessarily it'd take much for that :v:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Goomba's Iced Coffee
Princess Peach Tart
Yoshi's Honeydew
I haven't seen DK Banana Cream anywhere yet :argh:

And there's some star bit things. But they're hard candy so don't get them unless you want rocks in your frozen yogurt.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Nintendo NetfliX

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

InFlames235 posted:

Oh man the thought of Zelda with PC graphics is mind boggling.

but Dolphin already exists?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

The spoons they give you for this are pretty great, I almost wish I wasn't trying to cut out as much sugar as possible from my diet so I could get more of them. Quitting drugs is hard :sigh:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Goomba's Iced Coffee
Princess Peach Tart
Yoshi's Honeydew

The closest yogurtland in my state is near Atlanta, and I'm a pretty long ways from there :negative:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BillmasterCozb posted:

The closest yogurtland in my state is near Atlanta, and I'm a pretty long ways from there :negative:

The magic of Southern California. There's frozen yogurt places everywhere.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The magic of Southern California. There's frozen yogurt places everywhere.

I'm envious, but at least my town has a great frozen yogurt/cafe place called Spoonshine. They've got great chicken wings and gyros

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

BillmasterCozb posted:

what's up fellow georgia bumpkin

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raserys posted:

what's up fellow georgia bumpkin

me, because mountains

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Millions posted:

Nintendo NetfliX

This was called the Wii

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rexroom posted:

What are you talking about, literally no one in this thread thinks that. Everyone is saying it's a portable system

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I do expect it to fall between a Wii U and a PS4 in terms of power, and that's also where an Xbox One falls. I don't literally expect it to go head to head, but I do think Nintendo will have footing to make a case for 3rd party ports.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Does yogurtland have mochi as a topping? If not then gently caress it, sweet frog reigns supreme

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

FastestGunAlive posted:

Does yogurtland have mochi as a topping? If not then gently caress it, sweet frog reigns supreme

They do.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Rastor posted:

I do expect it to fall between a Wii U and a PS4 in terms of power, and that's also where an Xbox One falls. I don't literally expect it to go head to head, but I do think Nintendo will have footing to make a case for 3rd party ports.

Nintendo making a case for third party ports would require Nintendo to give a single poo poo about third party ports, and brother, they've been out of shits to give for a while on that front.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Soul Glo posted:

Nintendo making a case for third party ports would require Nintendo to give a single poo poo about third party ports, and brother, they've been out of shits to give for a while on that front.

More like the third parties had no idea what this "game pad" is

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

I shall visit them for their Mario promo then

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rexroom posted:

What is the point of jumping ship from the Wii U if the NX will still fail to reach at least parity with the competition? It's just going to lead to the same problem where third parties don't bother with it because they're not going to bother releasing games because it's not worth the time making special ports. I could see if they were trying repeat the Wii's success with an aggressively priced system coupled with stuff like Pokemon would make it fly off the shelves during Christmas. But if it's going to be a hybrid console/handheld/tablet/etc. then there goes that.

It's like the lesson they learned from the Wii U is that it wasn't gimmicky enough. I know Nintendo is loathe to lose money on hardware sales, but c'mon.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Sony and Microsoft aren't Nintendo's competition

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rorus Raz posted:

What is the point of jumping ship from the Wii U if the NX will still fail to reach at least parity with the competition? It's just going to lead to the same problem where third parties don't bother with it because they're not going to bother releasing games because it's not worth the time making special ports. I could see if they were trying repeat the Wii's success with an aggressively priced system coupled with stuff like Pokemon would make it fly off the shelves during Christmas. But if it's going to be a hybrid console/handheld/tablet/etc. then there goes that.

It's like the lesson they learned from the Wii U is that it wasn't gimmicky enough. I know Nintendo is loathe to lose money on hardware sales, but c'mon.

there are 60 million next gen consoles sold in under 3 years nobody wants a 3rd identical box
third parties will show up just like they did for ds and 3ds
the system will take japanese games from the vita that 3ds is too weak to play and be a big hit there.
the lesson from the wii u is to get out of the dedicated console market and they did.

Nintendo is a portable gaming first company now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

BillmasterCozb posted:

More like the third parties had no idea what this "game pad" is

Neither did Nintendo. Developers were free to ignore it and did so, first party included. At the beginning of the WiiU's like there actually were ports of third party multiplats - Ubisoft put out Assassins Creed III, Warner's ported Arkham City, Black Ops II from Activision came out on it, I think there was even a port of Deus Ex HR on the thing. They kinda did give it a chance. The problem was a year later they all started targeting next-gen and the WiiU, well, wasn't next-gen. The games they did bother releasing on PS3 and 360 didn't justify the still-significant work they'd need to work on the WiiU since sales were so bad.

Nobody wants a third console that runs the same games and at least this time Nintendo isn't even bothering to pretend otherwise.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Real hurthling! posted:

Nintendo is a portable gaming first company now.

I feel like a lot of people still don't understand this. The cartridge rumor was really weird until I realized the NX is most likely just their next portable handheld that happens to hook up to a television. Which is also why I think the 3DS will be mostly dead after the NX launch. If people don't have a reason to move from the 3DS to the NX then it's probably dead in the water.

As far as it's power goes, I think the only thing probably certain is it will obviously be more powerful than the Wii U because it has to run the new Zelda at the very least.

I was watching a Monster Hunter streamer a while ago talk about how Monster Hunter won't even be on the NX because it's primarily a portable game. They really need to explain what the NX actually is. It's almost certainly not going to be a home console that competes with the PS4 or Bone.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

They haven't explained what the NX is because they haven't revealed it yet.

A six month run up from debut to release isn't enough, imo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
so much tech these days is like "Here is this new product, it's available tomorrow morning go hog wild" maybe nintendo is the first game company to do that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Soul Glo posted:

They haven't explained what the NX is because they haven't revealed it yet.

A six month run up from debut to release isn't enough, imo

lol dude it's more than enough.

Most consoles don't get their real marketing push and poo poo til the E3 window before the fall release where they announce the price and date.

Nintendo is just skipping the part where they slowly tease out information, and have a few games with target renders and vague information before it's 100% locked down and in production with a focused cycle that(if done correctly) allows them to get all of the information out at once, along with opening preorders and poo poo on the same day as the official announcement which gets a whole bunch of impulse preorders. And it tosses all their cards on the table at once.

It's all gonna come down to the quality of cards they have on the table.

If they have very good cards to play, this is actually a real real good strategy as it means people's hype level would be insane and cause irrational decisions. Like hypothetically if in this september event there were to announce a game from every single one of Nintendo's major IP's(Zelda(duh), Mario, Metroid or DK(Retro's been working on something since DK:TF). and like have Capcom show some poo poo about the MonHun game they are working on.

The Nintendo core would be hype as hell which would lead to articles being written about how good or cool this seems.

The problem is then if the Cards or the displaying of those suck, there is literally no chance to adjust messaging and course correct on mistakes.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 24, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DID YOU KNOW SONY IS RELEASING A PS4 SLIM?? Such a well kept secret that there's even an unboxing video... an unboxing video of a product that hasn't even been officially announced. Sony is also desperately using the DMCA to shut down every news site that mentioned it or posted any photos of it.

All the while, the NX may be a handheld system using Tegra with detachable controls. Maybe. And that's a whole system that every big third-party studio is aware of and in all likelihood producing some work for. I'm just saying it's ridiculous amazing how well kept a secret the device has been. You can't do this sort of thing if you aren't running a really tight ship around the whole operation, so kudos to Nintendo for that at least. They really want to surprise people when the time comes.

And call me the eternal hopeful, but I think they can do it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TheScott2K posted:

I think there was even a port of Deus Ex HR on the thing.

I have it. Believe it or not, it's a very good port. This game is one of the few where gamepad functions integrate very well.

• Locked thread