Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

plasticbugs posted:

I ran into this with a 16GB Sandisk, and had luck with a 32gb Transcend card (class 10) formatted with a 32k cluster size. I have an extra because it didn't work in my Everdrive GB - happy to hand it off to you somewhere in the city if you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015J44R0U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_P--TxbFYXBTMS

Thank you so much for the offer, but the BART price for coming to meet you to get it is like $1 less than just buying it with free same day shipping, so I'm hilariously going to pass on your offer to give me the thing I need for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Happy 25th you ugly boxy grey-purple mofo that was like putting a bad Fiero based shell on a Ferrari. Did it ever get made 110% clear why it was redesigned and lost all the colour?

PCE vs TG16 is also a headscratcher.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

univbee posted:

gently caress, 25 years ago today is when the SNES was released in North America.
Happy 25th Super Nintendo, in celebration. I'm gonna play me some motherfucking Super Metroid.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

MrLonghair posted:

Happy 25th you ugly boxy grey-purple mofo that was like putting a bad Fiero based shell on a Ferrari. Did it ever get made 110% clear why it was redesigned and lost all the colour?

So you couldn't put soda cans on top of it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You gotta play the pack-in Super Mario World, accept no substitutes. :colbert:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

I have no idea, there's not even a rationale for it like with the famicom->NES because the SNES looks more toylike than the SFC. It might even be they redesigned it only to prevent importing (or reverse importing, as it's way harder to play a US cart in a SFC)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

It might even be they redesigned it only to prevent importing (or reverse importing, as it's way harder to play a US cart in a SFC)

It's most likely something related to this, Nintendo has always been super-serious about region segregation.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
With its rounded edges and Fisher-Price colored logo and controller buttons, the SFC is toylike as gently caress. I don't know what you people are smoking, but you better quit it, because it's obviously wrecking your minds. The US SNES is more in line with computer peripheral design aesthetics of the era, in my opinion; it's kind of reminiscent of one of those big old external SCSI drives or whatever.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

MrLonghair posted:

Happy 25th you ugly boxy grey-purple mofo that was like putting a bad Fiero based shell on a Ferrari.

More like a Fiero on a Model-T. :rimshot:

MrLonghair posted:

Basically "'Murca." They wanted it roughly the same size as the MD because US consumers don't like diminutive electronics. They also spent way too much time and money on the redesign, and that was a major reason for its delayed launch and subsequent failure to gain significant market share. Someone posted a comprehensive article on all this at some point in the old thread, but I'm not gonna go looking for links.

Wasn't this supposed to be white? I seem to recall the one I saw on GCCX being white. Pretty gross!

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 23, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

I got a bunch of stuff in the mail from Japan. A new Family Trainer mat (my first one started acting up, and I got all 10 games for it so :retrogames:). The Famicom lightgun had no troubles with customs, thankfully. A boxed copy of Mario Paint, and the only controller made specifically for Takahashi Meijin

it's just...so beautiful.

I should dig up that Hudson animated movie again. It featured that joystick heavily in the scenes where all the people are wearing appropriate costumes to test the latest Hudson games.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Also I wasn't joking about the "so you couldn't place a soda can on top of it" aspect either.

That was a problem they had the front loading NES a lot, because they'd inevitably spill and get soda into the vents.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ofecks posted:

Wasn't this supposed to be white? I seem to recall the one I saw on GCCX being white. Pretty gross!

No. It was yellow on GCCX and it's always been yellow.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

With its rounded edges and Fisher-Price colored logo and controller buttons, the SFC is toylike as gently caress. I don't know what you people are smoking, but you better quit it, because it's obviously wrecking your minds. The US SNES is more in line with computer peripheral design aesthetics of the era, in my opinion; it's kind of reminiscent of one of those big old external SCSI drives or whatever.

remove the colored logo, does this look toylike?

I see a serious grey box. those funky computer peripherals didn't come around until the mid-late 90's, not the early 90's when everything was pretty much a sea of beige boxes

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

univbee posted:

You gotta play the pack-in Super Mario World, accept no substitutes. :colbert:
I don't actually own a copy of Super Mario World. :eng99: I know, that's pretty shameful but I don't feel like paying 30 bucks or whatever it costs on ebay these days. (okay well it's generally not quite that expensive yet but still)

I played some Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country instead.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 23, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

unless you had parents who's reaction was "first they're gonna make a super nintendo, then a super duper nintendo, and then something else. what's wrong with the nintendo you already own?"

This, except I didn't get a Nintendo until the Super Nintendo was already announced. Good times.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The SFC reminds me of candy cabs: rounded, featureless, simple, sleek. It is a Japanese salaryman; all business, no nonsense, it will work overtime in the harshest conditions without complaint.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

i've always anthropomorphized the neo-geo AES as a yakuza boss

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

remove the colored logo, does this look toylike?

I see a serious grey box. those funky computer peripherals didn't come around until the mid-late 90's, not the early 90's when everything was pretty much a sea of beige boxes

It does :colbert: . Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the SFC design per se; I just don't think it's particularly superior to the US SNES, and the comparative brightness of the US SNES compared to the Genesis probably helped to differentiate it considerably in the contested North American market.

And the US SNES embodies what I recall as a common aesthetic trend in the early 1990s of "dark" colors (like black or dark grey) contrasted with muted "bright" colors; like typically an item would have a grey to dark grey case with buttons, edges, and covers in muted purple, seafoam green, magenta, and Day-Glo yellow. The buttons of more gussied-up Tiger LCD games seem to best embody these colors, but I recall they seemed to predominate in the athletic equipment market of the time, and also that plenty of cheap electronic geegaws and the like used them, too. I suppose that from a manufacturer's perspective, if they couldn't use good black plastic or metal like the big name electronics manufacturers did, they could at least differentiate their products with some muted but contrasting colors so that they didn't look like lumps of dark plastic.

It's definitely a product of its era. and we also can't forget that Lance Barr, who did the US SNES design, apparently did the designs for the NES console and the NES Advantage (along with the second NES design). Considering the success of the NES and the Advantage, it wouldn't surprise me if NOJ figured he had a better finger on the pulse of the American consumer's design preferences than Japanese designers did. The man has a consistent style, if nothing else.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm ok with the Super Nintendo design. It is not ok to deny us rainbow colored buttons is all I am saying.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I definitely prefer the US SNES but I'm willing to admit it's probably nostalgia. But then again maybe not because I think the best looking console of all time is the PC Engine with the CD add on and I had neither of those growing up.

I have a Japanese SFC as well so I can directly compare them and the US SNES is way, way more durable. Not that the SFC isn't durable, but the US SNES can be thrown down a flight of stairs. I have no clue why Nintendo went with purple accents but I love it. And they stuck with that for the Game Boy Color (it was first only available in purple) as well as the GameCube and GBA.

The American SNES looks like a computer, which is probably why they designed it that way. Rounded edges were not in style in America at the time, according to Nintendo. If you look at American cars in 1990, everything was a box. The US SNES is the 1990 Corolla of consoles.

Harlock posted:

I'm ok with the Super Nintendo design. It is not ok to deny us rainbow colored buttons is all I am saying.

Yeah but we got the concave X and Y buttons which makes us even.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 23, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have a Japanese SFC as well so I can directly compare them and the US SNES is way, way more durable. Not that the SFC isn't durable, but the US SNES can be thrown down a flight of stairs. I have no clue why Nintendo went with purple accents but I love it. And they stuck with that for the Game Boy Color (it was first only available in purple) as well as the GameCube and GBA.

Not true? The Game Boy Color was released in the five colors in "COLOR" - grape, teal, berry, dandelion and kiwi.

e : you MIGHT be thinking of the Game Boy Advance but that was still indigo. :colbert: and I just couldn't remember if they released glacier and the other colors simultaneously or not.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 23, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The purple was just the most marketed one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caitlin posted:

Not true? The Game Boy Color was released in the five colors in "COLOR" - grape, teal, berry, dandelion and kiwi.

e : you MIGHT be thinking of the Game Boy Advance but that was still indigo. :colbert: and I just couldn't remember if they released glacier and the other colors simultaneously or not.

Oh no, definitely the Color but I could be wrong. I know for a fact when I went to buy it on release date that Babbages only had the two purple colors. Still my point was that from the SNES on, Nintendo had an interesting love for purple. I mean to get a normal black GBA we had to wait years for a Toys R Us exclusive but purple was available on launch day!

Edit: Wikipedia is definitely wrong on some stuff. I just checked and they claim that a black GBA existed at launch. It absolutely did not. I remember seeing the black one in a Toys R Us ad and it was exclusive. And I sold my white one to get it.

Edit 2:

And it was in 2003. I thought Wikipedia was supposed to be pretty accurate.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 23, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Oh no, definitely the Color but I could be wrong. I know for a fact when I went to buy it on release date that Babbages only had the two purple colors. Still my point was that from the SNES on, Nintendo had an interesting love for purple. I mean to get a normal black GBA we had to wait years for a Toys R Us exclusive but purple was available on launch day!

Edit: Wikipedia is definitely wrong on some stuff. I just checked and they claim that a black GBA existed at launch. It absolutely did not. I remember seeing the black one in a Toys R Us ad and it was exclusive. And I sold my white one to get it.

Edit 2:

And it was in 2003. I thought Wikipedia was supposed to be pretty accurate.

Pretty sure it's actually not wrong and is simply not differentiating between the US and JP launches like you are. JP launch had black. Or it could be US regional availability, I'm not sure on that one. I can definitely confirm the US launch of the GBC had the "COLOR" set tho.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caitlin posted:

Pretty sure it's actually not wrong and is simply not differentiating between the US and JP launches like you are. JP launch had black.

Right but they did differentiate Japan and US releases, but they didn't for black for some reason.

Definitely possible kiwi was a launch color but I thought it was like a couple months later or something. Or maybe Nintendo made it like purple was the only one that existed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
For Christmas the year the Game Boy Color came out, my brothers, sister, and I all got different colored GBCs, so that we could tell them apart. I got Teal, my one brother got Grape, my other brother got Kiwi and my sister got Dandelion. Then shortly afterwards my sister's broke and she got the special Pokemon Yellow themed GBC.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I had the Tommy Hilfiger Game Boy Color which was pretty amusing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

univbee posted:

gently caress, 25 years ago today is when the SNES was released in North America.

Happy 25 years! :toot:

Here is younger me getting my SNES:

Super Mario World and Kart, what more do you need?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doc Morbid posted:

I don't actually own a copy of Super Mario World. :eng99: I know, that's pretty shameful but I don't feel like paying 30 bucks or whatever it costs on ebay these days. (okay well it's generally not quite that expensive yet but still)

I played some Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country instead.

Please buy the super Mario world + All Stars cart, justify the price and have it all

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I already have regular old All-Stars without World, which I got for relatively cheap a few years ago. I'll probably just pick up the Super Famicom release of SMW if I want it, since those carts are still pretty affordable and more importantly don't cost a fortune to ship to the backwoods of Europe.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Speaking of GBAs, anyone know a good place to get an OG GBA with a backlight these days? I see kits to do it myself but I don't trust my abilities in the slightest and i'd much rather either pay for one that's already done, or find someone to whom i can send a GBA for modding.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The GBC was originally released only in purple (in the US) and other colors came out a short time later, I got mine on launch day and wasn't too happy about that

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

fruitpunch posted:

Speaking of GBAs, anyone know a good place to get an OG GBA with a backlight these days? I see kits to do it myself but I don't trust my abilities in the slightest and i'd much rather either pay for one that's already done, or find someone to whom i can send a GBA for modding.

Not really. Backlight screen supply has been drying up and they have been jumping up in price because of it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

actually my previous post was slightly wrong, it did also come in clear purple and I vaguely remember opting for solid because it looked more low-key

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
transparent electronics all day every day, atomic purple play it loud

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Posted the thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787634

I'm outta here for now; thanks fellas!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

transparent electronics all day every day, atomic purple play it loud

I am all for transparent electronics and now rock a clear GBC I had to import because that color was never released here (not my pic):

I just didn't like purple clear, because I was 15 years old in 1998 and that looked "mad fruity" or something

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

fruitpunch posted:

I got lucky on Etsy, but haven't looked recently.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

wa27 posted:

Happy 25 years! :toot:

Here is younger me getting my SNES:

Super Mario World and Kart, what more do you need?

I wish I had similar pics of me getting the NES and much later a PS1. You would've seen a similarly wicked fashion sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I had the Tommy Hilfiger Game Boy Color which was pretty amusing.

I had the purple one but later replaced it with this tacky piece of poo poo:

• Locked thread