Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm thinking that maybe the death from class 78 is going to be rooted in the NG codes rather than direct action on the part of the attacker. The way Monaca knows Naegi will be the one responsible makes it sound like it's going to happen against his will no matter what, and that might include even if they stop the attacker. And the fact that we don't know Kirigiri's code yet...

Then again it's being heavily framed so that she's the one at the most risk, so maybe that's all a fakeout

It could also be Togami. Even if Monaka isn't the mastermind, she did play a central role in Naegi being able to get in contact with him. There's something oddly suspicious about that.

If the game isn't actually happening at the Future Foundation HQ, then it's possible that Togami is walking into a trap. That could be what Monaka was talking about, since if Makoto hadn't contacted him, he wouldn't have been involved.

If the Class 78 students are in danger, then the biggest targets are Togami, Kirigiri, Asahina, and Naegi himself. Fukawa is at Towa City and is unlikely to get involved in the plot much more. As for Hagakure, the fan reaction to his death would probably be relief that it wasn't anyone more important(besides, from where he is right now, I can't see how Naegi's actions would affect Hagakure).

But there is one more possibility. Monaka never specified which of Junko's killing games she was talking about. So she could have been talking about the very first mutual killing game involving the student council (which is sure to happen a couple of episodes down the line in the Despair arc), which would mean... Hajime. If Monaka knew about the Future Foundation fleet heading for Jabberwock Island, then things might not look good for Hajime. Or if Chiaki was involved in that first despair game, it could be her, but her survival is looking to be increasingly unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I'm pretty sure Naegi will cause the death of either Aoi or Hagakure because that's what i've come to expect from this series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm okay with Hagakure dying.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I give no fucks about Asahina, Hagakure, or Fukawa.

If Togami or Kirigiri bite it I'll be pissed. If Big Mac dies to folster hope throughout the world definitively, then well, I guess that would be okay.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
asahina should already be dead

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This ep was pretty boring but Monaca giving up because she got sick of Komaeda's rambling is hilarious in retrospect. Also Chibi-Komaru was great

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wyvernil posted:

If the game isn't actually happening at the Future Foundation HQ, then it's possible that Togami is walking into a trap. That could be what Monaka was talking about, since if Makoto hadn't contacted him, he wouldn't have been involved.

This sounds very plausible and would perfectly explain Monaca's confidence about Naegi causing someone's death.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, I'm banking on Asahina being the one that dies due to my theory and the fact that Makoto sticks with her 90% of the time in the anime but if it isn't her it's probably Togami.

Though Togami is Fukawa's anchor and I don't think there's enough time to focus on Toko handling that all things considered. Hagakure is literally not important at all and I have no doubt in my mind that Kirigiri has Naegi level plot armor going for her.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kirigiri has books to sell so she's invincible. No one cares about Togami's books.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one will die because everyone is going to be alive through some nonsense

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope it's not Hagakure, he is a good friend.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Bit of a slow episode but I was surprised that the Monaca arc was over that suddenly. It feels like they're spending a lot of time on this mid-show plot development. I hope they don't have to rush a conclusion in only 5 episodes...

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Baal posted:

No one will die because everyone is going to be alive through some nonsense

Junko downloaded herself into Naegi during DR2's ending, and now he must kill the Junko within.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Monaca bowing out so soon, and in such a way, makes it feel like anything to do with her up until now was kind of meaningless. It makes the episode all the more worse.

Though I agree that ditching Earth because of Nagito was good, even though I question why she bothered doing anything before now.

Wyvernil posted:

It could also be Togami. Even if Monaka isn't the mastermind, she did play a central role in Naegi being able to get in contact with him. There's something oddly suspicious about that.

This is what I'm thinking too, but it also feels too obvious.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Togami nearly dies but Toko save him. Toko is the true hero of DR3.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Also Chibi-Komaru was great

It's pretty heartwarming as well that she's in Fukawa's weird shoujo fantasies. Good work Touko, you made a friend :unsmith:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Which is why I think Aoi is the killer of Gozu. They were in a locked room as well with only Monoka, Gozu, Aoi and Naegi.

I doubt it. The ketchup and knife were set up before everyone woke, with Monaka doing it for fun. Aoi was asleep, not moving around, so she couldn't have killed Gozu.

Also, this was a great recap to Ultra Despair girls. It had the only two songs that ever seemed to play in the game, and it showed off the hacking gun and Toko using a stun gun to summon Genocide Jack, along with showing off the four warriors of hope that turned good. We even got a Toko fantasy. Now no one has to ever play that game again. Everyone wins!

I'm glad someone has a realistic reaction to Nagito's ramblings on Hope and Despair. Giving up and deciding that everything was stupid seems like a cop out, but what would you do if you tried to follow the goals of someone with Frontal-Temporal Dementia?

Now that we know that Monaka was never in the building, that means that someone else killed the blacksmith. Just what was in the room behind the Monokuma door?

After this episode, I am wondering if this whole thing has nothing to do with the Remnants of Despair. Maybe the whole thing is just to kill people the killer has a grudge against? Any thoughts, Juzo?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I got the feeling the whole UDG/Monaca plotline was an attempt that didn't pan out so they decided to wrap it up quickly and neatly instead of leaving a plothole that would haunt them forever or trying to shoehorn Monaca where she wouldn't belong. Better than way, IMO.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm half expecting Monaca's rocket truck to crash into Future Foundation's building towards the end. Don't know why, but that feels appropriate.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore." - Monaca Towa

I love how she just becomes cynical about all of the silly things in this series and decided she wants no part of it anymore.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Felt like a DLC episode that they never got to make

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I love how she just becomes cynical about all of the silly things in this series and decided she wants no part of it anymore.

Monaca might be half of the posters in this thread.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Probably Kodaka too

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There were two choices for Monaca: Leave a world that didn't want her or destroy it. We thought it was the latter, but Monaca was like gently caress this poo poo and became the SESL Neet. Maybe she'll come back to Earth when she becomes a SHSL Neet.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Xelkelvos posted:

There were two choices for Monaca: Leave a world that didn't want her or destroy it. We thought it was the latter, but Monaca was like gently caress this poo poo and became the SESL Neet. Maybe she'll come back to Earth when she becomes a SHSL Neet.

The phrase "SHSL NEET" is giving me horrible flashbacks to Danganronpa RPs on Tumblr.

Honestly, this episode could be seen as filler by cynical eyes, but I thought it was hilarious as it threw UDG under the bus, gave us Chibi-Komaru and a lot of genuinely funny moments, and Monaca going to space to become a NEET and becoming the most relatable character in the process. I dunno, I just kinda liked it. Looking forward to Togami getting blown up by a missile or something next episode.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BlazeEmblem posted:

I doubt it. The ketchup and knife were set up before everyone woke, with Monaka doing it for fun. Aoi was asleep, not moving around, so she couldn't have killed Gozu.

Timeline for my guess has everyone fall asleep -> Asahina wakes up -> kills Gozu -> Falls back asleep like the diagram shows at the start -> Monoka unleashes her secret ketchup technique -> goes back to pretending to be asleep.

Can still kinda work.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 24, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think it'll be Naegi who dies honestly. They very obviously want you to think Kirigiri is the one, and even a shot in the OP has Naegi reaching out to her as she falls along with everyone. A lot of the theme of the series is that talent and the titles you're given don't make you who you are. Naegi and Munakata are both treated as symbols of hope and I think this will end with them both dying, while what remains of the Future Foundation will be left to rebuild and create a hope that doesn't revolve around one singular person.

If not him, then Togami is my next best guess. Remember that Monaka willfully gave herself away by contacting him, with the obvious intent being that he would come to help them. In a sense you can say his death would be Naegi's fault, because he's the one who informed Togami of what was going on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wyvernil posted:

If the Class 78 students are in danger, then the biggest targets are Togami, Kirigiri, Asahina, and Naegi himself. Fukawa is at Towa City and is unlikely to get involved in the plot much more. As for Hagakure, the fan reaction to his death would probably be relief that it wasn't anyone more important(besides, from where he is right now, I can't see how Naegi's actions would affect Hagakure).

But there is one more possibility. Monaka never specified which of Junko's killing games she was talking about. So she could have been talking about the very first mutual killing game involving the student council (which is sure to happen a couple of episodes down the line in the Despair arc), which would mean... Hajime. If Monaka knew about the Future Foundation fleet heading for Jabberwock Island, then things might not look good for Hajime. Or if Chiaki was involved in that first despair game, it could be her, but her survival is looking to be increasingly unlikely.

I haven't gone back to check, but isn't Togami headed to Jabberwock Island? I could be misremembering.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I haven't gone back to check, but isn't Togami headed to Jabberwock Island? I could be misremembering.

I thought he was going to the Future Foundation HQ, since they were talking about blowing a hole in the building so that the FF leaders trapped in the killing game could be saved. Though I'm not entirely sure about that, either.

lotus circle posted:

I think it'll be Naegi who dies honestly. They very obviously want you to think Kirigiri is the one, and even a shot in the OP has Naegi reaching out to her as she falls along with everyone. A lot of the theme of the series is that talent and the titles you're given don't make you who you are. Naegi and Munakata are both treated as symbols of hope and I think this will end with them both dying, while what remains of the Future Foundation will be left to rebuild and create a hope that doesn't revolve around one singular person.

If not him, then Togami is my next best guess. Remember that Monaka willfully gave herself away by contacting him, with the obvious intent being that he would come to help them. In a sense you can say his death would be Naegi's fault, because he's the one who informed Togami of what was going on.

I'm thinking it might be Naegi, too. Between the prediction that one of his friends will die because of him, and the nightmare he had, he might end up taking a bullet (metaphorical or literal) for Kyoko.

It might actually be interesting to see how Kyoko would react to Makoto dying/almost dying, since she's usually the stoic one - what happens when she reaches the breaking point?

Though I don't think they'll actually kill him off for good - there's still that "W-Cure" medicine that Kimura had floating around. That seems too conspicuous to be anything but a Chekhov's Gun. I'm thinking it will be used to save Makoto in the end (or allow someone, probably Kyoko, to break their NG Code at a crucial moment).

Maybe seeing that Naegi is willing to give his life for his friends is the wake-up call that Munakata needs to see that Naegi's brand of hope is more than just empty platitudes. In trying to destroy despair, Munakata only succeeded in spreading it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lotus circle posted:

Togami is the only one that has any actual evidence within the show; the arguments for the other characters seem to be based on stuff like who we find expendable or whose death would matter thematically. In Togami's case, there is a concrete reason for Monaca to be confident that Naegi would cause his death (if she was purposely leading Togami into a trap). It doesn't really make sense for her to be confident about him killing anyone else; even though Aoi (for example) is near him, that's not much of a reason to be sure that he's going to end up killing her. Someone else mentioned them doubting Togami being the victim due to it being too obvious, but most people seem to be guessing non-Togami characters so I'm not sure if that's really the case.

Wasn't there some theory that the characters aren't in the building they think they're in (something about being underwater IIRC)? I feel like I remembered seeing someone (or the show) mention that. If that's the case, it would also be further evidence towards a "Togami is heading into a trap" hypothesis.

edit: I should add that this doesn't mean the character is going to actually die; I just think he's going to be the person that would have died (if not for whatever Naegi ends up inevitably doing).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone else see the Utena reference? Good times.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

he is going to where naegi is, but he also sent his troops which consist entirely of unnamed faceless characters to jabberwock island. i don't think things are gonna go well for those dudes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I thought that there was another group of FF people not under Togami's control going to Jabberwock Island to kill the DR2 cast.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So we're just ignoring the whole Toko/Jack don't share each other's memories thing yeah?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FPzero posted:

I thought that there was another group of FF people not under Togami's control going to Jabberwock Island to kill the DR2 cast.

there is. two giant groups of mooks and izuru in the middle. there is no suspense involved with that situation.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

FPzero posted:

Yes, this also happened.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man I haven't played UDR but that was a hilarious episode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alder posted:

Anyone else see the Utena reference? Good times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Akio, what are you doing in Danganronpa?

I should probably post a screenshot next time.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Rarity posted:

So we're just ignoring the whole Toko/Jack don't share each other's memories thing yeah?

They share emotions and information, which apparently covers quite a bit of ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

It's been said before, but boy oh boy is Sawashiro amazing as Toko. Her voice acting is just :allears:

• Locked thread