Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Incidentilly, is there any reason I couldn't use the same Liquitex airbrush medium with my paints when brush painting? All the talk the last few pages about glazes has me interested in experiment with making my own.

It works really well for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Is this the thread for postin chibis

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PaintVagrant posted:

Is this the thread for postin chibis

Who the gently caress are you?

not really my thing but welcome back :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I'm some sort of filthy casual board game player now or something :D thanks!

Here's a more gritty sci fi thing I was loving around with. I am real fuckin rusty :/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah that's better, but get gud, waste of talent, etc

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PaintVagrant posted:

Here's a more gritty sci fi thing I was loving around with. I am real fuckin rusty :/

Do you have a post or blog or something where you talk about your process? Your style is awesome

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nope! If I painted more often and had the time I would do some videos, but haven't painted seriously in years, just started again this week.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks btw, appreciate the kind words :)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

I like the cel-style shading! A legend returns?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

GreenMarine posted:

Hmm. Not sure. I am using the spirits as a fixative. Here is an example of the tank:

But I use these sprays to pause my progress, basically. The powders here have been locked in place with spirits. You're saying any spray will dissolve that?

To be clear:

- I varnished the model.
- Added the powders.
- Used capillary action to set them with spirits.
- Sprayed with dull cote...

Which turned them into white crystal.

So I just re added the powders and then set them again, which is why they look thick...

Bleh, found an article that explains it.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/effects-of-varnish-on-weathering.html

Edit: Sounds like I should mask the model when spraying it with dullcote and then manually apply pigment fixer to the powder.

(It's important this tank comes out well because it'll probably be killing Bulbasaur's mans.)

Nice looking Sicaran :)

My experience is that you should save pigments until the very very last step. Varnish your model first, apply your pigments, and then set them into place. Doing this while the varnish is still a bit tacky is the only way I've found that preserves the effect of the pigments.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dorf

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Goddamn those are really, really nice. The highlights blend really well in the thumbnails and the cel shaded look is lovely up close.

Super jelly.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks! I just realized I didnt paint the horns...

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo it's PV in the painting thread :hellyeah:

Wait PV starts posting poo poo just as I'm finishing my latest model, lol it's me, the one who is owned

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Dang, son

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

Nope! If I painted more often and had the time I would do some videos, but haven't painted seriously in years, just started again this week.

Do you have/can you throw together a gallery? I dig your style. If you want to vomit a bunch of words about your style here, I'd be happy to read them.

I remember you from years ago. I started painting again a couple months ago after not painting for a couple of years.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
This thread needs more fine asses

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Picked up some Hordes minis cheap and thought this guy would make a fun monster for my players.

Came out a bit glossier than I intended. Put on some matte sealer on after the gloss, but I think I oversealed it.

The white markings are supposed to be tendons and ligaments. A friend pointed out that it looked like it had outgrown its shell, so I was trying to make it look like raw, exposed muscle.

The bones are done with a simple bone color, followed by a wash, then highlighted and finally given an edge highlight.

It doesn't show up so well here, but there's a fair amount of Blood For the Blood God slathered around on the red bits.

The basing was done with oxid paste, painted and highlighted, and done up with a little static grass and some swamp tufts.

Not sure what stats I'll give him, but it should be a fun fight.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Nebalebadingdong posted:

This thread needs more fine asses

Just finished a Culexus Assassin, and man - you could bounce a land raider off those buns.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Yeast posted:

Just finished a Culexus Assassin, and man - you could bounce a land raider off those buns.

Even the new Eversor and Culexus assassins have some serious buns.

In other news I've been having a blast painting the Watch Captain Artemis and Eldrad from the 40k Death Masque box set. Thought I'd share some of the pictures of where they're at.

Still got a few things to wrap such as Eldrad's sword and stuff and Artemis' backpack and gun. Thanks to Ilor for the advice on the cloth , the though picture washed out alot of the highlighting I've done.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 24, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

The Sisko posted:

Thanks to Ilor for the advice on the cloth , the though picture washed out alot of the highlighting I've done.
No worries, mini-painting-bro! Happy it worked out for you! And yeah, it's really hard to get good lighting that doesn't wash out subtle variations in colors on capes and such.

Case in point: Huzzah, let there be FLAMES!!!!

In person, the lightest flame color isn't nearly as bright/white. There is a very light, almost white edge highlight to re-establish a couple of edges in the brightest flame area, but my lighting makes them hard to see because the photo saturates. I don't know whether it's a white-balance issue or a lighting issue or an "I suck at taking good pictures" issue, but whatever. All told it was...6 different layers I think? In any event, this turned out WAY better than I hoped.

Now I just need to finish the biker himself.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Yeast posted:

ka-chunk ka-chunk.

Man, Vallejo reds are nice to work with. Had a coming to christ moment using Flat Red and Ferrari red for the first time.

i'm literally inspired by this work - fantastic.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

A buddy has a shop compressor he wants to use with an airbrush, but the regulator on the compressor doesn't have very fine control. Any recommendations for a specific brand or model of regulator to use?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Just an FYI for anyone in the US - Jet.com is having a promotion right now for $10 off any purchase over $35. In addition, they offer free shipping on orders over $35. They have the Badger Patriot 105 in stock for $78 and with the code, you'll pay $68. Promotion code: BACKTOSCHOOL01

Also, if this is your first purchase, you might receive a code for 15% off your first three orders, which brings the brush down to $66.75.

It's not the lowest price it's been, but it brings it into that range (barring the rare $45-ish sales.)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Now that we're safely past PV's baller stuff here's a Madrak Ironhide alt sculpt I finally did to replace the old metal sculpt.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cross-posting from the Oath Thread.

Irate Tree posted:

I'm not entirely pleased with the result but for all intents and purposes, he's done.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

This page owns.

Maybe I'll oath something here in this last week of the month. Been taking a break, but I think it's time to get some painting done.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread cross post:

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Looks like my varnish hosed up a bit for some reason. Probably the 30 degrees celsius + insane humidity where I live right now.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 25, 2016

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I finished my battlebox of trollbloods a short while ago. Sorry for lovely cellphone pics!

And the whole group:

Looking over them I can see quite a few mould lines I missed, but overall I'm pretty happy with them. Any tips on taking better pics would be appreciated - I think the light was far too yellow for the close-up photos.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath thread cross post:

Looks like my varnish hosed up a bit for some reason. Probably the 30 degrees celsius + insane humidity where I live right now.

Where are these fine miniatures from?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Where are these fine miniatures from?

They are from Blood Rage by Cool Mini or Not. The fire giant is from the base game, the others are from the Gods of Asgard expansion. None of these were kickstarter exclusives.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

They are from Blood Rage by Cool Mini or Not. The fire giant is from the base game, the others are from the Gods of Asgard expansion. None of these were kickstarter exclusives.

It might just be the angle, but the gold on the Fire Giant's mask looks so smooooth. Good job on all of them. I'm cleaning mine up to paint as well - did you run into any difficulty with yours? Some people were posting that paint wasn't adhering to the plastic or drying properly (most likely user error.)

Also, I'm assuming you had a bunch of bent spearstaffs and such - did you use boiling water to straighten them, or did you not bother?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

It might just be the angle, but the gold on the Fire Giant's mask looks so smooooth. Good job on all of them. I'm cleaning mine up to paint as well - did you run into any difficulty with yours? Some people were posting that paint wasn't adhering to the plastic or drying properly (most likely user error.)

Also, I'm assuming you had a bunch of bent spearstaffs and such - did you use boiling water to straighten them, or did you not bother?

Thanks :) I bought Scale 75's gold set in anticipation of painting this guy, and it's really good. It's very shiny even through gloss + matte varnish, which does help the look a lot. Except when your varnish bugs out and kills the lustre completely, like on Frigga's shield, where I can really see where I said "good enough" when it was shiny.

I did the usual wash and rinse, then primed with vallejo surface primer through an airbrush, and I didn't have any problems. I'd actually say that it's been remarkably easy all around, considering all the different colors they've mixed into the plastic.
I did boil some of them, mostly to get the bases flat on the big monsters and the spears straight. The bases hold up fine but the spears are so thin that they flipped back to pool noodles when it hit 25o C.
Odin was especially bad so I replaced the spear haft with a brass rod and redid the fitting for the spearhead (I have a photo of him somewhere in this thread). I'll afraid I'll probably have to do the same with some of the Raven and Wolf clan guys.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
That sounds a lot like the issues people had with Reaper Bones stuff. If so, washing and then not using rattlecan primers would prevent those issues.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

Thanks :) I bought Scale 75's gold set in anticipation of painting this guy, and it's really good. It's very shiny even through gloss + matte varnish, which does help the look a lot. Except when your varnish bugs out and kills the lustre completely, like on Frigga's shield, where I can really see where I said "good enough" when it was shiny.

I did the usual wash and rinse, then primed with vallejo surface primer through an airbrush, and I didn't have any problems. I'd actually say that it's been remarkably easy all around, considering all the different colors they've mixed into the plastic.
I did boil some of them, mostly to get the bases flat on the big monsters and the spears straight. The bases hold up fine but the spears are so thin that they flipped back to pool noodles when it hit 25o C.
Odin was especially bad so I replaced the spear haft with a brass rod and redid the fitting for the spearhead (I have a photo of him somewhere in this thread). I'll afraid I'll probably have to do the same with some of the Raven and Wolf clan guys.

Thanks. Doing the hafts in brass rod is probably above the level of dedication I'm willing to commit to a board game, though 25C/77F is a pretty low temp for plastics to get all melty.

JackMann posted:

That sounds a lot like the issues people had with Reaper Bones stuff. If so, washing and then not using rattlecan primers would prevent those issues.
I thought Bones were of a different material though. I didn't have a problem priming my Zombicide stuff, but maybe CMON went with a different material this time around. I'll airbrush the BR minis, just in case.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
From everything I've read, Blood Rage is not made of Bonesium and takes spray primer fine. It's just floppy.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's just a slightly soft plastic. Much harder than Fantasy Flight's plastic, but still soft enough that thin parts will warp around.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I haven't posted anything here in ages. Time to fix that.

Inbetween commissions I've been chipping away at an Abyssal Dwarf army for Kings of War, and I recently finished the first unit: a regiment of Immortal Guard.

I definitely wanted something Chaos Dwarf-y, so I converted up a bunch of the Mantic dwarfs I got from two of the 2-player starter sets from a few years back. Fairly simple conversions--sculpt new beards, switch out weapons and shields with WHFB chaos ones, and pretty much call it a day. While I've painted my fair share of red over the years, I really wanted to concentrate on doing better with it and as such, used quite a bit of red glaze and purple wash to get something striking. I like to think it ended up well.

The lava base were followed verbatim from the Buypainted tutorial on youtube, with the caveat that I used cork rather than foam.

Current WIP is a Supreme Iron-Caster on Great Winged Halfbreed.

Bloodcrusher with a Bones Ursula as the rider, with the Bones Pit Fiend wings attached to it (and a bunch of bits, of course). Most of this was easy, barring getting Ursula off her bear mount; that required a lot of cutting and trimming, which was obnoxious as hell. No idea when I'll get around to painting her, but hopefully soon.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Current WIP on the Fallen Frontiers Riff Assault Troopers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm so happy to see Slimnoid and PV posting painted mans again. Can't wait to see that crazy converted Bloodcrusher painted up!