Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I am sad that pressing back no longer makes you turn around when locked on and that being a spammy dummy no longer punishes you as hard but I guess those are the sacrifices for some more mass market appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The new lock-on is good and the beta is amazing. And thank god for getting rid of durability. That kind of constant micromanaging has no place in a proper action game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

blocking heavy attacks costs a lot more stamina now. like the first boss's ball spin will eat your entire gauge

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

lets hang out posted:

blocking heavy attacks costs a lot more stamina now. like the first boss's ball spin will eat your entire gauge

Are you in not mid stance?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How long is this demo gonna be up? 5 days again?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wish this new demo started you with some better gear

also has anyone else noticed how the mc keeps walking for like a sec sometimes after you stop holding forward? real annoying in a level with cliffs!

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Davincie posted:

i wish this new demo started you with some better gear

also has anyone else noticed how the mc keeps walking for like a sec sometimes after you stop holding forward? real annoying in a level with cliffs!

Yep, that happens to me too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just realized that my buddy still has my PS4 :saddowns:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The demo's not showing up in the store for me yet. I guess I'll check again tonight when I get home.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Weird detail about the beta:

The game is account specific when you download it. However, when you download it on another account it just.... Sort overwrites the rights for the 2nd account without actually downloading the files.

This also works when using accounts from different regions. This was handy because Australia got the beta before EUR

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I see it on the US PSN store but its not downloadable. Guess it needs a bit of time still? Its on the other regional stores though.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
SCEA is an embarrassment.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

heres the link so you guys can :f5: it until it comes up
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/nioh-beta-demo/cid=UP4108-CUSA05892_00-NIOHBETADEMO0000

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 23, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

get it now its up

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Thanks SCEA, you're a true group of professionals.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Downloading, 4.358 GB

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh holy poo poo. So in the alpha demo there were 2-4 item shortcut slots. Now there are 8. Great improvement.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
looks like its not recognizing mark of the conqueror for NA players, very nice

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Does it screw you If you rid of the first demo for the Mark?

Meaning it doesn't save your completion of it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hey so everyone's favorite low stance evade ki pulse is gone, but guess where it went? That's right: High stance can now Ki Pulse by evading. Which is great because ki management in high stance is hard.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

psn you're loving killing me

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Monolith. posted:

Does it screw you If you rid of the first demo for the Mark?

Meaning it doesn't save your completion of it.
since i still have the alpha demo and its not working i doubt it

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
With my experience with Koei Tecmo translations, it's probably looking for the Japanese version of the mark.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

How does the ki pulse thing work again?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fuligin posted:

How does the ki pulse thing work again?

you see part of your stamina bar turn red as you're doing a combo, and it gets longer and longer as you combo. As you finish, the bar will start filling backwards. Pressing R1 will return to you the stamina that has back-filled at the time you press it. So if you wait longer you get more stamina back, but you have to time it right because if you wait too long you get nothing. You can also swap stances while doing it by pressing R1 + face button, and some skills will return bonus stamina if you do so.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Except it's better to not look at your stamina bar and instead look at the ring of blue energy around your guy. When it turns into a ring, thats when you hit the button to ki pulse. I havent played a lot of the beta yet, but it feels like they've made the window a lot more forgiving.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

demo owns

anime Geralt owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KT should sue CDPR for geralt's likeness since nioh is has been in development for 17 years

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fwiw the mark thing works in europe, the demo even detected i had completed the previous demo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I had just been playing DMC, so I didn't realize they changed the default controls... I'm somewhat torn now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What sort of build should I do first for this demo? I don't remember what worked well last time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well now the game hands out skill points like candy, so it's even less important than before. I'm playing around with the dual swords since they're new. They are pretty good. They scale off of skill, rather than heart, like the single sword.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there a way to know if the beta is recognizing mark of the conqueror? i got it in my psn purchase history but the game doesn't know about it as far as i can tell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How are guns? I'm thinking about going spears but leveling Skill for good gun damage is tempting. I did really enjoy the bow last time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dual swords are crazy good but I'm also rusty as all hell.

Water sword or whatever it's called is the poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

How are guns? I'm thinking about going spears but leveling Skill for good gun damage is tempting. I did really enjoy the bow last time.

Well like I said, skill is also the main stat for dual swords, so if it's what guns use, it would be a good stat to try 2 new weapons at once.

I'm really conflicted on the control schemes. All of melee feels better with type A, having stance on R1 feels really smooth and L1 as block is natural. The problem is that with the attack buttons on the thumb, ranged weapons are now garbage. I also really like L2 to be ranged.

Also it took me a second to figure it out, but the only differences between control types A/B and C/D are that A/B use the touchpad for the menu and the options button for gestures, and C/D swap them.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Doing a pixel perfect ki pulse just as your gauge stops being red removes the negative color yokai areas. Did it do that in the last test? Another reason to master the ki pulse now

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Doing a pixel perfect ki pulse just as your gauge stops being red removes the negative color yokai areas. Did it do that in the last test? Another reason to master the ki pulse now

Yeah, it did that in the alpha.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else feel like the ki pulse window is huge now? Square>square>triangle>r1 and stance switching feels so good. So much cleaner than r1>r1>r2>l1

And also circle+triangle for living weapon is way better than circle+r2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Living Weapon feels stronger than before. Maybe I didn't use it enough, but it absolutely tore apart the first few oni and those guys gave me a lot of trouble in the Alpha.

Overall though I feel like the combat is less fluid. I can't quite put my finger on why, but melee combat feels... jerkier, maybe? I dunno.