Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ashcans posted:

I am going to recommend How to Listen So Kids Will Talk. It's not perfect (and some of it just doesn't apply to a four year old) but I read it and it provided a lot for me to think about in how to talk to my kids. There are lots of reasons that a kid might not want to talk about their day, especially answering direct questions about it.

Currently reading that book and I can recommend it. It's really making me think about a lot of stuff and it's helping me plan on how I would like to deal with stuff. I might not agree with everything all the time, but it's certainly making me think about stuff and I think it will help me make decision based on what I think is best VS just doing what comes to me naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

I'm seconding the book recommendation. How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will talk is a great resource. I reread it regularly to help myself stay on target. It's hard to break our own programming (i.e. not do what we were raised with even if we know it's not right). Also, when I taught 4 year olds, EVERY parent complained about that. We had a board where we posted what we did that day so parents would have some topics to get the conversation started. What did you do today is too broad a question for 4 year olds, it's overwhelming. Instead of asking questions, try rephrasing beginning with the words "tell me about..." If you know the general pattern of the day you can narrow things down for her. Tell me about art today. Tell me about circle time. Tell me about your favorite thing you did today. You get the idea. I would imagine your child's school has a communication board too. You can use that for topic ideas. If it says they studied bugs, try "tell me about the bugs you learned about at school today."

I use my son's daily report sheet to get conversations started. If I ask what he did at daycare, he just stares at me. If I asked what book they read during circle time or ask about the specific thing they focused on that day I get answers.

Last week, they learned about the ocean & every day they colored or made a different animal & learned some simple facts about it. If I asked him to tell me something about starfish, he could rattle off a few things.

And some days on the car ride home, he tells me, "I'm not talking." So I give him time to decompress & try again later in the evening. Sometimes I don't want to talk about my day either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sockmuppet posted:

Today my newly minted three year old screamed: "YOU'RE RUINING MY LIFE, MOMMY!" at me while crouched in a shrubbery with her pants around her ankles, because I came to look for her and accidentally interrupted her mid-poop.

This might be the weirdest moment of my parenting career so far. And she got so mad when I couldn't stop laughing, poor thing.

At least your 3 year old understands to pull down her pants and go poop somewhere. Our kids just say "poop" while pooping in their diapers still, and when we try diaper free which happens more often, they basically never manage to not poop their pants.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My son's newest thing to get out of whatever he doesn't want to do is to say "But I'm big now."

It's pretty clever really, his own odd logic. We've told him that, for example, eating his greens will make him big and strong.

:colbert: I don't want to eat that, I'm big already.

:raise: But don't you want to get even bigger and stronger?

:colbert: No! I'm the biggest!

Or, when it's time for bed:

:colbert: I'm not tired! I don't need to sleep because I'm not growing anymore.

But then he came home yesterday, and said "Daddy, my friend told me that I'm not big, I'm little." He goes to a Montessori school, so there are kids ranging from 3-6 years old in his class.

As for getting them to talk about his day, I generally find that he won't say anything when I ask him directly (apart from asking what he had for lunch, he always answers that and tells me if it was yummy or yucky) but little details usually come out in the evening. He'll tell us little tidbits unprompted, or start singing a new song, stuff like that.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke
I've found that a useful way to get information out of my 4 year old is by having a set of questions that I ask him after preschool. I start off quite silly but then ask about things that are more likely to have happened. "Did anyone fall off their chair today? Did anyone wear pyjamas to school? Did anyone have new shoes? Did anyone make a new friend? Did anyone do painting? Did anyone play in the sandpit? Did anyone write the alphabet?" That approach seems to work most of the time, especially as the silly questions make him giggle and relax so he's more open to chatting.

For sure there are still days when I get a sullen "nothing" response, but I figure everyone has times when they don't feel like talking and I'll remind him that he doesn't have to tell me stuff but he does have to respond politely.

Oodles posted:

It also bothers me because it's an attitude. She always wants the last word in a conversation or argument. "Stop that, or I'll take away your toy", "well I'll just get it back" as infinitum. Maybe it's me because I'm always telling her off. I probably need to stop that.

Oh my gosh this so much. It drives me nuts.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ah that moment at 5:50 in the morning when you get up and ready for work and you check on the kids room and there's nobody the bed and you go "huuuh?" Then you look over to the other bed and see both of them sleeping in the same bed and you go daaaaw :3:

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ah that moment at 5:50 in the morning when you get up and ready for work and you check on the kids room and there's nobody the bed and you go "huuuh?" Then you look over to the other bed and see both of them sleeping in the same bed and you go daaaaw :3:

That is so adorable.

Can I just say that 2 is rough and we're having a tough week and it is so nice to have this forum to read to know you're not alone. I know a large part of it is because his schedule has been all messed up the last 2 weeks (vacation and then dada working late nights which never happens). Next week we start our school year schedule (I tutor every weeknight during the school year) and then it will be another week or so before his y class (gymnastics) starts up again and we get back into that groove. Transitions are oh so fun with toddlers. This year I'm hoping to get more organized and start some regular play groups and whatnot, besides his buddy next door. I think he is ready for preschool, but he won't be 2 1/2 until October so he has to wait another year. He's really craving social interaction with other kids, so I'm going to work harder to make that happen, even if it is just hanging in the kids room for an hour each day at the y.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Mine one and a half year old has decided that climbing on stuff and jumping off into the beanbag is the best thing ever aside from going down the two story slide at the park. But the way he does it is hilarious - He climbs onto a box, steps gingerly over the gap between it and the train table, runs down the then loops back around building up speed... then stops, gingerly steps back over the gap back onto the box, and then plops face first into the beanbag going "yaaaaay". He also insists on doing the two story slide by himself now. I think we're gonna set up a slide going from his bedroom through the window into his playroom, because he's been begging me to put him back and forth through the window too.

It's great just to see how bravely he tackles things he used to need our help with.

But it doesn't mean he's not still scared of stuff, but the thing he is most scared of seems to be his toys. Does anyone else's do this sort of thing? He's got a toy car, for example, and he knows how it works - he'll press the button, and then get the controller, and he'll push the up stick on the controller... and the car will move towards him an inch and he'll drop the controller and start crying as he runs to hide behind the chair. Then he'll slowly come out, slowly circle around the car at a distance until he's close again, press the button so it makes some sounds, pick up the controller... and repeat. He's got a mouse that moves around on it's own, and he's always intentionally turning it on, but whenever it moves near him he runs and hides and if it gets too close he cries... but if it gets stuck on something or turns off or flips over, he'll gingerly creep back up to and fix whatever is stopping it from working before running away and crying or whining at it.

I suppose maybe he just likes being scared? I dunno. It's weird.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I suppose maybe he just likes being scared? I dunno. It's weird.

My 3 1/2 year old loves playing "monster" which consists of us turning all the lights off at night except for a flashlight he has and dad stalking him and pretending to be a monster who is scared of the flashlight. He acts genuinely scared, but still laughs and has fun? I bet he's going to love horror movies.

This is the same kid that told me his favorite animal was a ghost.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Alterian posted:

My 3 1/2 year old loves playing "monster" which consists of us turning all the lights off at night except for a flashlight he has and dad stalking him and pretending to be a monster who is scared of the flashlight. He acts genuinely scared, but still laughs and has fun? I bet he's going to love horror movies.

That is pretty cool, and I look forward to playing this game with him when he's a bit older. And "Ghost" is a pretty great answer.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

Maybe your house is haunted? :ghost:

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
So my daughter (3.5) is a very picky eater, and I've tried to be patient with it. I've read making dinner time into a battle won't help, and will only hurt things. However it's to the point the last two nights where she's getting up after I put her to bed saying she's hungry. This is new territory (adding in that she's now afraid to go to sleep in the dark again, YAY toddlers!).

I've tried explaining to her that if she eats more of her dinner, she won't be hungry. She knows she doesn't eat a lot at dinner as well, but who gives a poo poo about logic when you're three?

Do I just need to be more forceful at dinner and make her eat more, or just hold my ground at night and tell her she can go to bed hungry and deal with the tears/tantrum? I'm leaning towards #2. In theory (this is adult logic), it would make her eat more and not wake up hungry.

I don't want this to become a trend, but at the same time, I don't want to have dinner become a battle.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We keep whatever dinner he didn't eat in the fridge and if he's suddenly hungry before bed he can have what's remaining of his dinner.

We also often offer a bedtime snack of cheese, banana, or something. I get hungry after dinner but before bed too.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
If you figure out the answer, will you let me know?

We're going through the same refusal to eat dinner unless it's a cheeseburger & then complaining about being hungry after we've started bedtime.

If he doesn't eat dinner, he gets a snack like cheese & crackers. But it is really frustrating & I just want to shove food down his throat.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
We went through the same thing. After advice from this thread and other sources we went with the "assume consequence" approach. That is, instead of making dinner a battlefield, we explained that if he didn't want to eat then he would assume the consequence. Which meant that if he got hungry afterwards, he would have to go to bed hungry.

It took a couple of times when he got up and wanted to eat. I reminded him it had been his choice, dinner time was the time to have dinner and he could have water. He now eats with less struggle. Rules are he HAS to taste everything in his plate, and stay at the table until we're all done, whether he wants to eat or not*. He almost always ends up eating after a few "I don't liiiike thiiiis" comments. (There's always something on his plate we know he likes.)

* As a bit of incentive, he can leave the table early and go play if he finishes his dinner.

Edit: we also saw that if we put too much food on his plate, it would create some sort of psychological block where he just refused. Lowering my expectations on the amount of food I thought he should have went a long way. He could always ask for more.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 29, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I don't know how well it will work yet in the long run, but for mine the strategy is simply:
"You don't have to eat if you don't want to, if you get hungry later you can finish this" and anything he doesn't eat goes in the fridge to get tossed in the morning if he still isn't interested.

He gets to control when and how much he eats, no fuss, but he doesn't get to decide what he eats post-meal. (He can request stuff in advance though, or if he finished dinner and we ran out of prepared food.)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
So we are having some issues with our oldest (5 turning 6 in November, just started Dual Immersion Kindergarten class - Spanish).

He was always a physical kid. When he was a toddler, he would slap at kids if they tried to take a toy from him. He never initiated the violence, but it was usually his reaction for being wronged. He was able to mellow it out for a bit, I never heard of him hitting anyone in his preschool or TK class, but over the past few months as his younger siblings have grown into rough and tumble kids themselves, we have noticed he plays a bit rougher with them than we'd like. Lots of headlocks and throwing them to the ground, always pushing it just a little too far. We usually intervene, but I want these kids to learn how to interact with each other and I hate stepping in to regulate playtime. But, if I don't, poo poo can escalate until everyone is in a rage and/or in tears. It's not often, but it's often enough.

His Kindergarten transition has been rough. He likes what he likes (puzzles, workbooks) and he doesn't like what he doesn't like (sharing, imagination play) and he makes it very clear the difference. I often choose the afternoon's activities based on his behavior in school (afterschool bowling, a playdate, the park, etc) and since he acts up so much we have been spending more time at home not doing much. Which sucks for the littler kids, since they are subject to the consequences of his behavior as well. I am working with the teacher, trying to find a reward system that works, etc. I ask him who he plays with at recess and he says "no one" but he's a generally happy kid and kids say goodbye to him after school so I assume he's got friends. I ask him how school was and he says "fine" and doesn't give many details, so it's hard to say.

Friday as I was picking him up, I put him in the car to strap himself in while I chatted with another teacher. With my back turned, my kid ran out of the car (partly into the street) to tell me something. I freaked out about him running in the street and his frustration escalated into a tantrum, he felt I wasn't listening to him properly. I finally got him in the car, strapped in, and he calmed down enough to tell me of a classsmate's brother's birthday and he wanted me to find the kid's mom to get him an invite to the birthday party. I promised I would try, but that him running in the street and then having a tantrum wasn't acceptable. I calmed down, he calmed down, we drove away.

The next day, at gym class, he had a meltdown when I put away their digital tablets. He bit his younger brother on the arm, he screamed at me and threw a tantrum in the lobby of the gym, and he physically tried to block me as we walked to our car. Once we got to the car, he refused to strap himself in and would physically push me away when I tried to do it. I kept my calm the whole time, explaining in plain terms why we were leaving and why we had to strap in, but the physical escalation threw me. I finally got him to calm down and strap in, but I was rattled. Still am, honestly.

And just a few minutes ago at 10am on a Monday morning, I got a call from his school principal informing me that my son slapped a student and the teacher who tried to intervene.

I feel like the biggest failure. I wonder if my son is a sociopath with no regard for others' feelings, no consequences seem to affect him and it seems the physical stuff is escalating as he gets older. I had issues in elementary school as well, acting out and stuff, but I had an alcoholic stay-at-home father and a co-dependent mother and pure chaos at home. I always figured my issues had to do with that, but what if I am just damaged goods and my lovely genes have passed onto my son? What if I was able to manage these urges but he can't?

The principal wants to have a meeting with us, him and his teacher to figure out what to do about his behavior. I asked if we were looking at changing classes or schools, but he didn't think we'd have to go that far. But what if we do? What if he needs serious therapy and meds? How much of this is just a kid being a kid? Anyone have experience with stuff like this? He's really clever and smart, and very handsome, so of course I am picturing my kid turning into the next Ted Bundy. :(

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

So we are having some issues with our oldest (5 turning 6 in November, just started Dual Immersion Kindergarten class - Spanish).
I can only imagine how challenging this is to deal with. It sounds like you're doing your best in a very difficult situation. Of course I don't want to come across as internet diagnosing your kid, but some of what you are describing is very similar to what parents see in kids with oppositional defiant disorder. If his acting out is becoming very physical and jeopardizing the safety of himself and others, it's time to see a mental health professional (this doesn't always mean meds, but can sometimes). I know the Incredible Years program is highly recommended for kids with conduct issues, perhaps there's a group near you?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yes, that sounds like the time to involve some professional support to help you and your family! Having the negative thoughts about your own childhood, and thinking of your child as potentially being "bad" or a sociopath is not something you should be suffering alone! A child psychologist or some behavioral support may be necessary.

Perhaps the place to begin is seeing if the school has behavioral support for children with individualized educational plans? They are usually categorized under "emotional disturbance" which sounds scary, but could be a resource for you.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mocking Bird posted:

Yes, that sounds like the time to involve some professional support to help you and your family! Having the negative thoughts about your own childhood, and thinking of your child as potentially being "bad" or a sociopath is not something you should be suffering alone! A child psychologist or some behavioral support may be necessary.

Perhaps the place to begin is seeing if the school has behavioral support for children with individualized educational plans? They are usually categorized under "emotional disturbance" which sounds scary, but could be a resource for you.

This times a thousand. As a teacher I can tell you that getting help as early as possible can only help and make things better. This is not something you want to have to deal with alone since 1 you're not a professional so it's 100% normal for you not to know what to do 2 you will suffer a lot (and your relationship with your son) from trying to go through this alone and dealing with those feelings of failure and inadequacy. May be this can be fixed easily with some changes and a new way of doing things, may be it will need more work but no matter what having help from someone who is trained in dealing with that seems like the way to go. You will be much happier and he will be much happier/healthier in the long run.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 29, 2016

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sheri posted:

We also often offer a bedtime snack of cheese, banana, or something. I get hungry after dinner but before bed too.

We typically have dinner, i.e. the hot main meal of the day, when everyone gets home from work/kindergarten/school at around 17, and then our daughter, who isn't picky but doesn't typically eat much in one go, has a small supper of porridge, cereal or half a sandwich, and a glass of milk before bedtime. It's a nice way to calm down in the evening, and transition her from daytime to bedtime. And if she didn't eat between dinner and bedtime, she'd wake up hungry and miserable after an hour or so.

Momtartin, unless dinner in your house is just before bedtime, I'd offer your kid a new chance to eat some more before bed, but I totally agree with you about sticking to your guns about no food after bedtime - waking up hungry is what happens if you don't eat your supper.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I feel like the only thing I do is recommend books, but for food stuff you can do worse than Its Not About the Broccoli.

Our philosophy is that we can bring the kids and the food to the table, but we can't make them eat it. Trying to mostly just makes dinner into a stressful time, and often just gets kids to doubledown on their resistance. So we make them come to the table and we serve whatever has been made. If our kids don't like it, they have an open option to go and get leftovers from the fridge instead. If they don't want dinner and they don't want anything in the fridge, that's their decision. Once dinner is over we clear the table/stove and its done. Just before getting ready for bed we read a book to each kid, and they have the choice to have some sort of final food at that point; bananas, strawberries, other fruit, carrots or tomatoes, etc. We also let them have milk if they prefer. Then its washup, teeth, bedtime.

If they skip (or skimp) on their food and end up hungry, we explain that there are times for eating, which we've already had, and now its time for sleeping. They can have a little water, but otherwise they need to wait until its time to eat again. I would try to avoid making this seem like a punishment ('You wouldn't eat what I cooked for you, so now you get nothing!') and try to be sympathetic about how they're feeling without giving in.

Usually our kids either opt for having the leftovers (sometimes something they vigorously rejected yesterday!) or go light on dinner and then eat more right before bed.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

After I posted here, I went to pick up my toddler from preschool and they said she refused to participate today. When I got her home and talked to her she said she was tired. And it clicked. They all might simply not be getting enough sleep and lashing out when they are particularly tired. We used to be more disciplined with bedtime, but then over summer we let it slide and now we're creeping back into the 9pm-9:30pm range. My husband has a hellish commute and only really spends evenings with the kids, so we tend to let the nights linger a little too long. Last night we took a long dog walk around our neighborhood and everyone ended up in bed later than we planned.

I spoke with my son's Kindergarten teacher and she agreed it's likely something as simple as moving up his bedtime. She said she has seen Oppositional Defiant Disorder in other kids and this is far from it - her own daughter has ADHD and when she gets overtired she lashes out like my son does. She said the slapping this morning came out of nowhere and everyone was just stunned that it happened. There was no malice or anything, he probably just got a weird burst of energy in an otherwise overtired haze.

We are going to adjust his bedtime and monitor his behavior over the next few nights. The thing that keeps me optimistic is how unconcerned his teacher seems to be, and how open she is to finding solutions. I'm guessing these teachers have seen the worst of the worst, and a naughty little dude like my guy barely registers a blip. I, of course, and much more prone to freaking out. And the fact that the principal got involved makes this whole development much more disturbing.

This parenting thing is HARD!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

VorpalBunny posted:

We are going to adjust his bedtime and monitor his behavior over the next few nights. The thing that keeps me optimistic is how unconcerned his teacher seems to be, and how open she is to finding solutions. I'm guessing these teachers have seen the worst of the worst, and a naughty little dude like my guy barely registers a blip. I, of course, and much more prone to freaking out. And the fact that the principal got involved makes this whole development much more disturbing.

This parenting thing is HARD!

No matter what happens, more sleep is a good thing so that's a good first step. Kids not getting enough sleep is a huge problem and it's almost an epidemic (I like to think that a non-negligeable portion of "adhd" kids are simply over tired all the time. I hope it's as simple as this for you!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't know how well it will work yet in the long run, but for mine the strategy is simply:
"You don't have to eat if you don't want to, if you get hungry later you can finish this" and anything he doesn't eat goes in the fridge to get tossed in the morning if he still isn't interested.

He gets to control when and how much he eats, no fuss, but he doesn't get to decide what he eats post-meal. (He can request stuff in advance though, or if he finished dinner and we ran out of prepared food.)

This has been working for me too, basically. The "if you don't want the dinner we made now we'll pop it in the fridge" concept.

I'm amused that she tells us what her doll wants which is also sometimes what she wants. Merle (the doll) wants potatoes and pineapple? Ok!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm wondering if I shold show my kids old cartoons from when I was a kid. Like Doctor Snuggles.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm wondering if I shold show my kids old cartoons from when I was a kid. Like Doctor Snuggles.

One of the best things about children is that they have absolutely no taste. It doesn't matter how old it is, how garbage it is, how stupid it is - if you ever liked it as a child, there's a good chance they will too. (there's also a good chance they won't, don't take it personally, remember: they have no taste!)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 30, 2016

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

As long as it doesn't make you sad when they still prefer Paw Patrol. I remember getting my oldest to watch the 1970's Willy Wonka and afterwards he said it was good, "but not as good as the real one" :(

My husband won't let me show the little ones Watership Down.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
My mom was so excited when she thought I was old enough to read her Bobsey Twins books. Then I read one and told her it was so boring and they were weird about Asians (super racist). She was sad and gave the rest away.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

A little update, my son was out like a light at 8pm and my husband had to wake him up at 7am for school, so I'm hoping this new schedule works. He was great in class today, though his teacher is recommending something like a stress ball so he can squeeze it and still pay attention. And of course my brain goes straight to worrying if he is developing an anxiety disorder or something.

Thanks for the support and advice, we're going to see how the rest of the week goes before we decide if we need to take any more steps.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

A little update, my son was out like a light at 8pm and my husband had to wake him up at 7am for school, so I'm hoping this new schedule works. He was great in class today, though his teacher is recommending something like a stress ball so he can squeeze it and still pay attention. And of course my brain goes straight to worrying if he is developing an anxiety disorder or something.

Thanks for the support and advice, we're going to see how the rest of the week goes before we decide if we need to take any more steps.

You seem really concerned with your sons mental health. Did you ever work through your own childhood issues with a counselor? I'd be concerned about you projecting too much of your concerns for his future in the little guy, especially while his teacher remains unconcerned.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
I'm a teacher, and usually when we recommend something like a stress ball it is not because the student is anxious. Usually it is because they are fidgety and need to move or they find themselves messing with everything on their desk or that of friends around them. It gives them a way to constantly be moving without being distracting or making them feel different (because they can hide it in their lap).

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

You seem really concerned with your sons mental health. Did you ever work through your own childhood issues with a counselor? I'd be concerned about you projecting too much of your concerns for his future in the little guy, especially while his teacher remains unconcerned.

While the teacher is unconcerned, I am still getting phone calls from the principal on a monthly basis when he's in school. He is acting physically towards other kids, the yard aides know him very well and while he is very good when he is good he is also very difficult when he is not. I have worked, and will continue to work through the rest of my life, on the issues from my childhood and I see parallels in his behavior in my own at his age. I think I will always worry about his mental health, considering I know how much work it took me to get to a comfortable place.

I actually know a little kid with anxiety disorder, and before I met her I never would have thought it was a real thing. Life is a balance, and for the longest time I never thought I had to worry about stuff like that until I discovered maybe I should. It never occurred to me that he could be dealing with anything other than normal kid issues, until I realized not everyone is getting these phone calls and not everyone has a kid like mine. We're taking it day by day, working through whatever little issues bubble up while trying to keep sight of the big picture. I just had a REALLY rough few days with him that made me question everything I was doing and thinking. Yeah, I might have overreacted or I might have been in need of help for a long time. I wouldn't have known unless I reached out for help, and thankfully the response has been that he is on the hyperactive edge of normal and with a few adjustments things should settle back down again.

I had no idea a stress ball was an actual recommendation for kids. It gives me relief to hear its not unusual, and I hope to hear back from the teacher over the next few days to see if it helps him focus.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

VorpalBunny posted:

I had no idea a stress ball was an actual recommendation for kids. It gives me relief to hear its not unusual, and I hope to hear back from the teacher over the next few days to see if it helps him focus.

This and other devices are very common with ADD/ADHD type stuff (not saying your kid has any of those, but it's very common for kids that are distracted/have trouble staying in place). At my school that's what I see the most : . I'm in highschool so they tend to ditch those quickly, but I hear it's used quite a lot in elementary. If you google for "fidget toy" you'll see a bunch of stuff

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 31, 2016

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

It is known.

We watched the first episode of Red Dwarf with our 3 year old. Because it's pretty much a given that she'll be watching it at a later date.

I also watched the first episode of Pokemon with her too. Hearing a three year old talk about peekatyou is so :shobon:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I tried to watch an episode with them on youtube but they just screamed "hupparipäiva!". Which is a music video they really like. Seems they like music videos more than actual childrens programs, aside from moomin. They lap that up.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

GlyphGryph posted:

This is what we do. It seems to work for the most part.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I should get that fidget toy for my husband.

If you really can't stop worrying about your kid then take them to see a child therapist / psychologist / etc. If they are perfectly fine, then great. No harm. It might even be more helpful for you than him.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Re kids and nostalgic TV - in our house I'm the Trekkie and my husband loves Star Wars, and so far Star Wars is winning the battle hands down with our three year old, primarily because of LEGO. There isn't much Star Trek available for the little ones. (in other news, apparently only boys are supposed to like Star Wars, because we had to resort to buying her boys underwear when she wanted Star War panties, and the Star Wars socks are labeled "boys socks". It's so frustrating! So far she isn't concerned that her Star Wars panties has a little extra room in the front. but I'm dreading the day when she realises that apparently stores don't think that little girls should like cool stuff.)

(I'll win her back over to the Trekkie side in a couple of years, just you wait. We have a plushie Enterprise that shoots flashing lasers, so the seed is planted.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Sockmuppet! ThinkGeek has so much Trek stuff for babies and kids and girls! I have no idea about international orders though:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/kids/