Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

farottone posted:

According to our data, less than a quarter of users are put off by the lack of stems, by the way.

If I remember correctly, our surveys were only for customs, no? It's a big difference to say you're ok with stemless customs and to equate that to being ok with stemless paid content.

Macavity posted:

As usual, we're seeing a sperg meltdown over something that few end users know/care about. That video example is pretty horrible, but the target audience HMX is shooting for these days won't give a gently caress. They just want to play the hits everyone at the party knows.

Careful with your generalizations. As someone who has attended a weekly event at a bar where every week there's an even mix of first timers and of hardcore fans...I can tell you that cuts the other way too. The hardcore fans at the event I attend are more accepting of customs, whereas it's the first timers who are upset by the inability to lower the original vocalist when singing. So if HMX keeps this up to the point of not being able to lower vocals altogether, that's going to piss off the non "spergs" too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SatansBestBuddy posted:

But Rock Band carried a different vibe with it, a legit party game vibe, and particularly Rock Band 3 with harmonies made the game really drat fun for people to sing to, but those same people would get intimidated by the idea of playing guitar/drums/pro-keys (nobody ever picked keys with a keyboard, it's always pro-keys), and when the song cut out because they missed a note, they'd get frustrated and quit and then go back to singing.

So - and I'm really not snarking at you here - people are upset because a game whose object is "play music" doesn't play music when you aren't playing music and this is bad enough to make a significant number of players not play? I'm having a hard time with that. Why shouldn't there be an audio cue when you flub your part? I hear that and I'm prompted to look at the notes a bit more carefully and check where my fingers are, not to go digging through the recycle bin for the game box and my receipts.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
If they're going to farm out charting and now not even bother getting stems for the audio then there's no difference between customs and official DLC except one isn't free. I don't mind having stemless audio with customs because obviously your options are limited, but having audio cues that you hosed up during fast or complex solos help me correct faster than if it were just visual. I guess it's a moot point if the DLC is just going to be relatively simplistic pop, but it's still pretty damning that they've let their standards drop this much.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf posted:

So - and I'm really not snarking at you here - people are upset because a game whose object is "play music" doesn't play music when you aren't playing music and this is bad enough to make a significant number of players not play? I'm having a hard time with that. Why shouldn't there be an audio cue when you flub your part? I hear that and I'm prompted to look at the notes a bit more carefully and check where my fingers are, not to go digging through the recycle bin for the game box and my receipts.

I wouldn't say a significant number, but I have seen it happen. Particularly to drunk college students, my main audience, who mostly just want to chill and get annoyed when their misses cut out parts of the song. I don't think anybody who actually buys the game themselves would have this problem.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

In a casual party environment, getting up in front of people and performing is already intimidating enough. Hearing a bunch of clankity-clanks on your failed strums, silence from the backing track, and the flashing red icon for your part on the meter all overtly broadcast your failure. For some people, this is part of the fun, and a good sport doing very poorly on a hard song can be a hoot for the crowd. But for many non-gamers, especially shy ones, this turns them off even trying any instrument but vocals, as SBB seems to corroborate.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SatansBestBuddy posted:

From my experience playing with groups and at parties, Rock Band really is just a karaoke game to a lot of people, with the plastic instruments part being an interesting novelty but nothing super important to the game. If anything, not having the guitar drop out when missing a note on Easy just makes the game more fun since you're not letting everybody down by sucking.

Yeah definitely. It's funny that it took them so long to put in No Fail Mode since that has really helped the game for this audience.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Honestly I'm curious why HMX hasn't done this sooner, perhaps they could have gotten some of the harder to get songs if the stems requirements were looser. Or maybe they could have included the option of a "no fail" mode with a "no miss" mode, too, so songs that have stems don't drop them out due to bad players.
There are songs without stems going all the way back to Green Day and the first Bob Marley pack. You just have to know where to listen.

farottone posted:

According to our data, less than a quarter of users are put off by the lack of stems, by the way.
Yeah but no-stem customs had no interactive sound at all, which is better than loving up the whole track trying to make fake stems, which is what HMX is doing.

TrojanNemo posted:

Soooo...where is the backlash from the people that used to talk poo poo about customs because they didn't have stems?

People who cared that much about RB know to stay away from RB4. Really the only people they are selling the game to now are high schoolers and other rich kids who will get the game for christmas, play it twice and put it in the closet forever. The people who have been way into it for a long time are just getting strung along as far as possible because they know we don't want to sink our investment.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

From my experience playing with groups and at parties, Rock Band really is just a karaoke game to a lot of people, with the plastic instruments part being an interesting novelty but nothing super important to the game. If anything, not having the guitar drop out when missing a note on Easy just makes the game more fun since you're not letting everybody down by sucking.
On today's episode of "using Guitar to push opinions about the other instruments and/or the entire game engine"...

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 24, 2016

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Orange Harrison posted:

There are songs without stems going all the way back to Green Day and the first Bob Marley pack. You just have to know where to listen.

Even GH3 had Paint It Black, which wasn't playable in co-op because it wasn't a master, I think.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

It was a master, but it was common practice in the 60s to put the bass and drums on the same track as "rhythm" and use the remaining few tape tracks for getting down the lead instruments and vocals.
Plus, they tried (and failed) to isolate the bass from the drums but gave up since it sounded awful so there's a really cheap fake bass stem on the disc with no playable chart.
I redid the stems for Nemo's GH2RB3 port of the song and if you go try playing bass in his custom version it sounds fine.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 24, 2016

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Orange Harrison posted:

Yeah but no-stem customs had no interactive sound at all, which is better than loving up the whole track trying to make fake stems, which is what HMX is doing.

That is true and actually I think the largest subset of users told us they *preferred* for the audio not to cut out when they missed notes.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I wouldn't say a significant number, but I have seen it happen. Particularly to drunk college students, my main audience, who mostly just want to chill and get annoyed when their misses cut out parts of the song.

That's fair. More people play games to have fun than to "git gud" and if they aren't immediately awesome at it they wander off and do something else. I still think if your first play-through is H-Halls of Valhalla you deserve what you get, but at the same time I totally get why nobody wants to kill the mood with Polly or Creep.

Orange Harrison posted:

People who cared that much about RB know to stay away from RB4. Really the only people they are selling the game to now are high schoolers and other rich kids who will get the game for christmas, play it twice and put it in the closet forever. The people who have been way into it for a long time are just getting strung along as far as possible because they know we don't want to sink our investment.

Yup, I should've waited. RB3 is just a better game. A backcompat port + new instruments would've made just as much sense as a whole new engine, with fewer features, that does a lot of things wrong. I'm hoping PDP and Rivals can rescue me but for now... well it would still be a fine game if RB3 had never happened, but we were definitely spoiled. It's like getting your parents' presents first and then having to go to Grandma's.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Making a post during the 70+ measures of nothing I get to do while playing a Queen song.

I wish stems were a toggleable option. Like, I get the need for feedback on poor performance, but sometimes I just wanna jam without that feedback.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

Making a post during the 70+ measures of nothing I get to do while playing a Queen song.

Just pick the keys part!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How did Beatles RB handle it again? No "miss" noises, but the stem would still drop out, right? They might as well include toggles for all this stuff (including that "no kick pedal" thing that Lego RB had).

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I get that tons of people prefer to have the music not drop out, but they are objectively wrong and crazy

Without that, it's just a lights and colors game you play with a selectable soundtrack. If I stop pretending to play the guitar and the guitar keeps playing, what's even the point?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Because you get to listen to music and feel like a rockstar?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ALFbrot posted:

I get that tons of people prefer to have the music not drop out, but they are objectively wrong and crazy

Without that, it's just a lights and colors game you play with a selectable soundtrack. If I stop pretending to play the guitar and the guitar keeps playing, what's even the point?

I don't mind the idea of it being a toggle, but hearing the song without your part and then nailing some notes and hearing the full track again gives you ownership of the experience. I think it's pretty integral.

I'd rather have a custom track without it than no custom track of course, but that's apples to oranges.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Kumbamontu posted:

Because you get to listen to music and feel like a rockstar?

The point is that I don't feel like a rockstar if the track keeps playing without me, unless this is a veiled commentary on rockers who use backing tracks and don't really play live.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I suppose. I have to imagine the vast majority of the playerbase doesn't even notice the difference between songs with and without stems, though.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Kumbamontu posted:

I suppose. I have to imagine the vast majority of the playerbase doesn't even notice the difference between songs with and without stems, though.

Yes, I acknowledged that. What I'm saying is that they are the kids who would go up to the arcade games on demo mode and spin the steering wheel a few times, except that then they would walk away saying "I love Cruisin' USA"

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

As much as I hate the DIY halfassed separated stems, I can guarantee you that 98% of the people playing don't care or even notice.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Minidust posted:

How did Beatles RB handle it again? No "miss" noises, but the stem would still drop out, right? They might as well include toggles for all this stuff (including that "no kick pedal" thing that Lego RB had).

TBRB had new miss sounds that were recorded to sound Beatles-y. Namely no distortion on the guitar samples and super percussive bass that sounded more like clicks instead of thumps.

It was whammy and sound effects which were disabled. The official excuse was that they don't sound good with the forensic stems, but it was actually because it adulterated the sound too much for the suits' comfort.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Not needing to get master recordings and then bounce all the studio multitracks down into game stems definitely cuts costs... but then if the DLC so far is any indication they're not gonna go back and get songs that originally they gave up for that reason.

I guess whatever Heart song shows up next week will hint which way that goes. The whammy on that Nicki Minaj video is pretty egregious, but then again Freestyle mode already opened the door for "shredding" songs in real time. Remember Freestyle solos?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

The debate about whether or not the condition of the Minaj song is a good or bad sign of things to come is distracting people from the other song, which is even more damning and objectively bad, unless half-second vocal phrases are also an artistic decision now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6dcsg6PAw

Also "There's no need to complicate" at the exact same moment the chart becomes illegibly complicated.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

The point is that I don't feel like a rockstar if the track keeps playing without me, unless this is a veiled commentary on rockers who use backing tracks and don't really play live.

It should be okay to say "Hey you kinda stink at this" especially if it's something you've never done before and you're tone deaf/can't keep a beat/not used to the weird controller/drunk/not a tryhard. But this is from me to you, two people who go on the internet to type words about this video game into a dead internet forum, which probably makes us the edgiest of goonlord edge cases. The people who research these things and actually make/market the games should be given credit for knowing more about what "works" than we do, the sorry state this game was released in notwithstanding.

Orange Harrison posted:

The debate about whether or not the condition of the Minaj song is a good or bad sign of things to come is distracting people from the other song, which is even more damning and objectively bad, unless half-second vocal phrases are also an artistic decision now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6dcsg6PAw

Also "There's no need to complicate" at the exact same moment the chart becomes illegibly complicated.

Ugh. There's no way the mic's going to pick up on all those starts and stops, the poor singer's going to just have to slur out that whole verse like some kind of yodeling meat bagpipe.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf posted:

yodeling meat bagpipe.

How did you know my stage name?!

jujojoh
Feb 25, 2016

:gaz:

:cosmic2day:

Anyone have a recent experience in getting a replacement pedal? My pedal has a crack and I don't even know how to fix it...
Edit: replacement from MadCatz

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

jujojoh posted:

Anyone have a recent experience in getting a replacement pedal? My pedal has a crack and I don't even know how to fix it...
Edit: replacement from MadCatz
It is just the pedal itself that's cracked? That happened to mine and I was able to fix it with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I4XASY
It's a much stronger piece of metal that replaces the tinfoil on top of the official pedals. Drill that in, and it holds a broken pedal in place perfectly (and you get a much sturdier piece of hardware than you started with).

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Can you even still do replacements from Mad Catz after the split? Just hit up your secondhand poo poo store before giving yourself a headache.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'd probably buy more songs if there were no stems and they were only $.99

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I'm in Kaboobi's camp, where the poorly-made fake stems bother me but I recognize that most people don't care. I don't want an option to toggle stems off on songs that have them, but I WOULD rather play these recent fake-stem songs that way.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The only problem with the Nicki Minaj DLC is that it's just one song and not three or more.

Most of the "Nicki Minaj" songs I like are by other artists, and she just does the obligatory rap bridge. Starships sucks but I would have bought Super Bass.

jujojoh
Feb 25, 2016

:cosmic2day:

Unfortunately, I am from Canada and there is no readily available pedal plate or second hand market. The pedal that was linked is $40 in cdn, which is ridiculously priced. I wish I can have easy access to rock band goods

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ALFbrot posted:

I mean, I basically agree with this, but there's no reason it shouldn't be an option either.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

It would be nice to have an option so that when the drunk guy can't hit a single note on medium we don't have to listen to freebird without a guitar part.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I dunno, those both sound like equally bad options.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Just downloaded the custom for Blues Traveler - Run Around.

Is that guitar chart a cruel joke? Any guitar players handy to compare? My hand feels broken.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Just downloaded the custom for Blues Traveler - Run Around.

Is that guitar chart a cruel joke? Any guitar players handy to compare? My hand feels broken.

Was the guitar charted with a bunch of super awkward chords by any chance? I haven't played the specific song you're referring to, but looking it up in the database, I have played one of the author's other customs on guitar (Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer to be specific), where the main chord pattern in the song was charted between GRO, GYO, and GBO, lasting the entire song with chord changes every few notes. Needless to say, :suicide:.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 26, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder that me,Methodist,told you all years ago about Stemless charts dating back to rock band 1, and had proof but you all abused me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I think that's all we need to get you banned from this thread too for being a Methodis mouthpiece.

Also, no he didnt, it was me, and people didn't care back then either.

How's your Guitar Hero Live thread going?

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Trash Boat posted:

Was the guitar charted with a bunch of super awkward chords by any chance? I haven't played the specific song you're referring to, but looking it up in the database, I have played one of the author's other customs on guitar (Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer to be specific), where the main chord pattern in the song was charted between GRO, GYO, and GBO, lasting the entire song with chord changes every few notes. Needless to say, :suicide:.

Yeah that sounds loving familiar! gently caress you and your GYO. Dropped it down to hard and it was all GO. My hand felt broken by the end.

Abu Dave posted:

but you all abused me

:fuckoff: