Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Settle down dude. It's a pretty normal reaction to dislike someone throwing a game. Not every post has to be "if I disagree, it's because someone is bad and I have to own them on that."

Sure just like any other kind of bad player or leaver, mathematically you're more likely to face them than to be paired with them, but that doesn't do anything for the 5 people who just got their game sunk.

He makes a decent point about how people in the 40s aren't MLG material but are generally pretty cool to each other whereas people in the 20s-30s are rabid assholes who resent the fact that the number they use to define themselves isn't as big as they wish it could be. Like they think they're better than rank 27 and are just really lovely salty about not being rank 87 like they totally know they would be if it wasn't for factors which are naturally out of their control in full.

Basically he dropped out of the ranks of people who don't "deserve it" really drat fast and ended up in the ranks of people who absolutely do. They aren't rank 27 because of one match with hanjo that's for drat sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I kinda of feel like Sombra may not be a new character, but as the in-game catalyst/reason/introduction for the long-rumored PvE or horde mode.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

Winston can't really guard his team against Genji while doing the other things he does, though. Just as Genji needs to watch his positioning if there's a Winston around, Winston is heavily limited in his positioning if he needs to stay close enough to zone out Genjis.

Ehhhhh, it's more a matter of "Winston can't run off and abandon his team to chase down Genji to try and squish him" which is something you shouldn't really be doing anyway, even flankers ought to maintain a reasonable proximity to the rest of their team rather than running off and having a minute-long 1v1. Winston actually works really really well as part of a deathball because his gun hits multiple targets at once and so with Winston in the mix you sweep through stragglers quickly rather than having them run off to heal up, then he can pounce on anyone who managed to get away. Similarly, your jetpack does come off of cooldown relatively quickly which means you can dive out a bit from the main group, but doing so means you need to have a plan in mind beyond "I'm'a go fight that guy."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mukaikubo posted:

I kinda of feel like Sombra may not be a new character, but as the in-game catalyst/reason/introduction for the long-rumored PvE or horde mode.

Horde mode of omnics controlled by technowizard sombra.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mukaikubo posted:

I've been on the same wavelength. I mean I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if she IS a playable hero, but there's been zero indication of that. (Tell the official forums or reddit this and they will EXPLODE on you btw).

(Not that I think it's PVE necessarily but I agree it's very possible Sombra is being used to introduce something)

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 24, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Settle down dude. It's a pretty normal reaction to dislike someone throwing a game. Not every post has to be "if I disagree, it's because someone is bad and I have to own them on that."

Sure just like any other kind of bad player or leaver, mathematically you're more likely to face them than to be paired with them, but that doesn't do anything for the 5 people who just got their game sunk.

Others have made the point quite succinctly, but let me iterate that even if you played all 10 placement matches with Bacontotem, you'll still gravitate towards your natural rank. It's super weird to get worked up about.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

FAUXTON posted:

He makes a decent point about how people in the 40s aren't MLG material but are generally pretty cool to each other whereas people in the 20s-30s are rabid assholes who resent the fact that the number they use to define themselves isn't as big as they wish it could be. Like they think they're better than rank 27 and are just really lovely salty about not being rank 87 like they totally know they would be if it wasn't for factors which are naturally out of their control in full.
It's the Dunning-Kruger bracket, where people are blind to their own shortcomings and therefore conclude that the only reason they're not their "proper" rank is because the game is unbalanced and their team sucks. You can see it in basically every competitive game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

FaustianQ posted:

Others have made the point quite succinctly, but let me iterate that even if you played all 10 placement matches with Bacontotem, you'll still gravitate towards your natural rank. It's super weird to get worked up about.

It's not fun to spend up to an hour at a time on a lost cause. That's not hard to understand. I'm not saying he's ruining the rank system or anything. But ultimately people want to have fun and for competitive minded people having fun tends to mean having a good game. Wrecking peoples' fun like that game after game is just a rotten thing to do to people.

Incoherence posted:

It's the Dunning-Kruger bracket

I mean, that's at least people up through the 60s too. It's easier to see your shortcomings when you're better but not seeing your mistakes isn't just for bads. I usually have to go back and look at old games to spot my more subtle mistakes.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 24, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Mukaikubo posted:

My only concern with PvE is people like my friend running off to hide there for an eternity because they simultaneously hate team PvP (because D-K'ing) but want to play coop games. Then he'll get pissed at me because I refuse to play against bots which are either superhuman or boringly exploitable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Incoherence posted:

It's the Dunning-Kruger bracket, where people are blind to their own shortcomings and therefore conclude that the only reason they're not their "proper" rank is because the game is unbalanced and their team sucks. You can see it in basically every competitive game.

Yeah, pretty much. If I saw Bacontotem in my game (assuming for a moment he wasn't rank 1) I'd be like "welp, this is a loss, might as well gently caress around and use a character I don't use too often" and at the end I've gotten a little better with using Symmetra or Ana or whatever, I've had some fun, maybe I was a jackass on a funny twitch stream, etc.

Game's fun when you aren't expecting a win and don't feel a need to actually try. I recommend everyone, when they run into That Game where it's just a quirk of matchmaking and you get the lovely end of the stick and the enemy team caps the second point with 9 minutes on the clock, switch to Lucio and see how high off the ground you can get using wallride. I guarantee it'll surprise you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if I saw bacontotem in my ranked game, I'd be profoundly disappointed in myself

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And even if he does show up in my placement games, its not like that's any different from getting a guy who leaves or also just really sucks at the game, so I don't see it as something to be too worked up about then, either.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's not fun to spend up to an hour at a time on a lost cause. That's not hard to understand. I'm not saying he's ruining the rank system or anything. But ultimately people want to have fun and for competitive minded people having fun tends to mean having a good game. Wrecking peoples' fun like that game after game is just a rotten thing to do to people.

I mean, that's at least people up through the 60s too. It's easier to see your shortcomings when you're better but not seeing your mistakes isn't just for bads. I usually have to go back and look at old games to spot my more subtle mistakes.

The game hiding your shortcomings doesn't help matters.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I hope everyone that cheers this poo poo gets paired with him in placements.

Considering he had a career high of 51, he probably wasn't throwing placements.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Find a different cause then, like seeing how far you can accurately hurl pissjars as Ana or just playing pistol mercy and not healing at all. If I was in a game with someone intentionally throwing it I'd stop imagining there was a chance at winning right then and there and find other poo poo to do (like pissjar spring combine) instead of getting all upset about not getting a win.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 24, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Just took a good look at the new Reinhardt skins and one of them is basically the Faraam set from Dark Souls II lol

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So the Olympics event is over, huh? drat, should have probably bought some boxes since I couldn't play much, really wanted those DVa and Genji skins. At least I got one of the Zarya weightlifter ones! (sadly not Champion :smith:)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In a shocking twist it turns out that Blizzard's decision to buff Hanzo was a result of Bacontotem's performance tripping an alert in the matchmaking algorithm.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

In a shocking twist it turns out that Blizzard's decision to buff Hanzo was a result of Bacontotem's performance tripping an alert in the matchmaking algorithm.
That son of a bitch. I've changed my mind, Nehru's right, gently caress him.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Please play Pharah all the way to rank 1, BT.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Please play Pharah all the way to rank 1, BT.

Bacontotem Season 2: Walk Like an Egyptian

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
My feeling about Bacontotem is that the result of his presence is "There's an awful Hanzo who refuses to change". The difference is that Bacontotem provides laughter down the road and the other guys just dissolve into the Hanjomist Collective in my memory.

Edit:

Challenge mode: Reach rank 1 as Lucio.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Proposition Joe posted:

Pharoah please stop booping yourself off cliffs

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If a season of that somehow leads to ludicrous buffs to my favorite character (who really doesn't need them) I will instantly take back everything negative I've said.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Bacontotem revolutionizes monetized streaming as he begins holding auctions for which Overwatch character he'll take with him on his epic quest to the Negative Zone in order to seek a boon from Jeff Kaplan the Allfather, known to the tribes of the north as Tigole Bitties.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a rocket man:

http://i.imgur.com/MnVP6cY.gifv

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh my god that Reinhardt must have been salty as gently caress or laughing his rear end off.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Proposition Joe posted:

Bacontotem's Bizarre Adventure: Shimada Crusaders: Battle in Egypt

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hanjo and Genju's Excellent Adventure

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Oh my god that Reinhardt must have been salty as gently caress or laughing his rear end off.

He was poo poo talking the whole game, so he was pissed. Our team thoroughly enjoyed it, however.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Incoherence posted:

From the other thread:

I think I may have played with him once? I had a rank 9 Mei on the other team in one game.

Edit:
I peaked at rank 39 and averaged 36-37 and I was super salty but it was more like I thought I belonged at 42-43 and my playing nothing but supports was keeping me there. I never felt like I deserved 50+.

The idea that I'm worse than the average Joe Normal picking up Overwatch at GameStop is kind of disturbing since I played fast paced FPSes since Quake and dropped out of school because I was so addicted to it. But I also know that since CounterStrike took over the PC world from the Quakes/Dukes/Unreals of the world, and COD replaced Halo as defining the shooter experience on console, I avoided shooters almost altogether because I hated the focus on ambushes and almost immediate death on being shot. I prefer extended dogfighting and strafing and reticle tracing and projectile prediction leading a whole lot more. All of that went out the window after Americans wanted silly military fantasy jack off shooters set in a fictional country that ends in "-stan".

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 24, 2016

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

You probably got Yoshi or Omniblood. I generally avoided Mei once my rank was around that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bacontotem posted:

You probably got Yoshi or Omniblood. I generally avoided Mei once my rank was around that.

Huh. I don't remember what their name was, because I didn't bother to take a screencap. I did take a screen cap after the game about the saltiest rager I've ever seen reacting to it, though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Defiance Industries posted:

They can nerf Genji (and Reaper) as much as they want because it's not like ten-year-olds will stop playing them.

Reaper doesn't need a nerf, I daresay he's the most balanced hero in the entire game, his kit is perfect for what it needs to do and his guns work exactly like they're supposed to, out of all the broken poo poo in OW, Reaper is not it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Probably my best effort ever with 3 gold medals and POTG. The only type of POTG I can get. (yes I voted for myself)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDqaaHYmOs

Also rip Genji mid ultimate.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zephyrine posted:

Probably my best effort ever with 3 gold medals and POTG. The only type of POTG I can get. (yes I voted for myself)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDqaaHYmOs

Also rip Genji mid ultimate.

You seem to be doing an excellent job of being a vicious attack gremlin which is basically half of what good D.Va-ing is all about.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

idk, ending up in a match with bacontotem would be cool.

Just try to make the most of it- wreck poo poo with pistol mercy and spam “im marcy <3” whenever you get a kill

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I love playing D.Va. I get so amped up while playing because you've got to be so on the ball in regards to boosting and Defense Matrix, and when you can stand there and eradicate someone with the shotguns. It's like: Boost? No. Boost? No. Boost? YESYESYESYESYES and then I open palm the shift key and boost like crazy. Only way it could be better is if the shift key was macro'd up to a machine that would spray aerosolised liquid cocaine into my wide open eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
We should nerf Genji and Hanzo again.