Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Enterprise is a sailing ship and the nacelles are her sails

except for when she is a submarine then she is a sailing submarine that goes in space

when she is a hot rod it's dumb. cars are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There are comments in several novels (and the TNG Tech Manual, I think) that the saucer/nacelle configuration is optimal for warp field design. Ships like the D7 sacrifice warp speed for a low combat profile.

It has always, always bothered me that the Klingon Bird of Prey doesn't have warp nacelles or a deflector dish. Like, at all.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Zurui posted:

It has always, always bothered me that the Klingon Bird of Prey doesn't have warp nacelles or a deflector dish. Like, at all.

I'm sure the deflector dish is integrated into the dynamic field generator in the *faaaaaaaaaaart*

But, really, Klingons: get your poo poo together.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I agree, Star Trek ships should all be even more similar looking

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Totally forgot that in Aquiel, Chief Autist falls in love with another woman based on her logs and records. Just like people do today with social media. TNG predicts yet another technology failure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Baronjutter posted:

Man this really does look like a federation design, like a classic trek era version of a small warship of a similar role as the defiant.

This will always be one of my absolute favorite designs, not just for TOS, but for all of Trek. But I'm also a huge fan of early sci-fi ship design, so YMMV.

No ship will ever be as perfect as the C-57D from Forbidden Planet :allears:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Here's the thing with the TOS warbird: it looks amazing from absolutely every single angle. I can't think of another man-made design of anything that does the same thing.

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No ship will ever be as perfect as the C-57D from Forbidden Planet :allears:

I was about to mention that

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Some thoughts on the first four episodes of ENT:

The space battle special effects are super disappointing. I didn't expect much, but I did expect them to be better than DS9/VOY. They are not. The explosions in the second episode look like loving Birdemic, like they're just pasted atop the scene using a freeware video editing tool from 1999.

I kind of sympathize with T'Pol solely because everyone is such an rear end in a top hat to her. I guess it goes all the way back to how everyone treats Spock in TOS, but at least in that it's playful and done from a place of love. All the humans are just downright racist toward T'Pol and make no effort at understanding her or her point of view. Who's the unfeeling douchebag now, huh Archer?

Phlox is still the best character. Four episodes and counting. But what the gently caress is he? I assume this is explained at some point, but it surprises me that it wasn't explained (to my knowledge) in the premiere. Everyone's all goofy about T'Pol because she's an alien aboard a human ship, but there's that other dude treating people using slugs n' poo poo down in sick bay. No one is unnerved at this except Hoshi, who is only as unnerved at this as she is about everything else.

Archer's dog: a perfect encapsulation of Archer, and maybe ENT as a whole. He is a beagle (i.e. really milquetoast and bland and dopey), and we are often left to wonder, "why is this even here?"

Shouldn't there be some significant memories of some seriously awful poo poo from some of these characters? Aren't we just two generations removed from WWIII? Maybe I have the timeline a bit off, but it seems like it would be an interesting catch for the show to have some shades of that lurking in the background. I don't want it to be all grimdark or whatever, but maybe just reminders now and then that some of these characters (or their parents) rose up from the near-annihilation of Human civilization. Dunno. Seems like that would be important.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They do a bit of that with Travis' family having the lovely job of frontier cargo haulers.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Phlox is awesome. He is a Denobulan, which I think is name dropped in the pilot and gets expanded on over the series. Denobulans are awesome.

T'Pol is poo poo on, unlike Phlox, because humanity (Starfleet mostly) has felt like the Vulcans have been keeping them in Fisher Price's My First Starship mode for a hundred years. Vulcans don't RUN Starfleet, but everything they say carries an absurd amount of weight and the pressures they exert on the humans is very consequential. Archer is the son of the man who spent his entire life pushing the boundaries of warp technology only to be boxed in by the Vulcans on all sides - the Warp 5 ship, in his estimation, should have been done in his father's lifetime and he blames the Vulcans for how they hold humanity back and forces them to take it slow. Naturally when T'Pol is assigned to the crew he feels like the Vulcans have just reached out and put a babysitter he can do nothing about on his ship, and it, to him, is indicative of the continued meddling of Vulcans in Human affairs. A lot of the others feel the same way. In that way, Archer is kind of justified (at least in his own mind. Really he's guilty of painting ALL Vulcans the same, and he never really notices that irony).

The feeling fades over the course of the 4 seasons and really Vulcan/Human relations is kind of a big point of the show - showing that sometimes Humans are right and that sometimes, even though it sucks, the Vulcans were totally right. The last season in particular (hurriedly) brings that all to a head.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zurui posted:

There are comments in several novels (and the TNG Tech Manual, I think) that the saucer/nacelle configuration is optimal for warp field design. Ships like the D7 sacrifice warp speed for a low combat profile.

I always assumed the nacelles were out with the weapons. That said, according to Google, it looks like it's meant to be the two lumps on its back.

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you

Mortanis posted:

In that way, Archer is kind of justified (at least in his own mind. Really he's guilty of painting ALL Vulcans the same, and he never really notices that irony).

When I first learned about Star Trek history I just assumed the Federation was the Vulcans' master plan all along, and their technology and diplomacy was just huge and eventually got overshadowed by loud brash humans who were their puppets.

I'm starting to get the impression though that Vulcans may be wise and mature but they're also really reserved and uninterested in the rest of the galaxy. The opposite of curious. Humanity's not their meatshield. Humanity's their bro of a college roommate who drags them along to parties and helps them make friends and maybe get laid once in a while.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Part of it is the Vulcans of ENT are missing half of Surak's teachings and are living a corrupted path. They mellow once they get all the patch notes on Surak's teachings.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

I always assumed the nacelles were out with the weapons. That said, according to Google, it looks like it's meant to be the two lumps on its back.
Yep, I'm pretty sure it's a retcon from after some producer or director chose the final design without knowing the rules of Star Trek ships, but those grid things on the back are supposed to be the nacelles. Really though when it was designed nacelles weren't all that glowy anyway, the Ent-refit and Miranda's nacelles don't light up, if you took out the struts and just stuck them on the hull they wouldn't look all that different than the BoP's.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
DS9 probably portrays Vulcans more negatively than ENT does. The only Vulcans I remember having any significant roles in DS9 were the serial killer with the transporting bullets and the rear end in a top hat Vulcan baseball team.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's pretty impressive that they learn an antiquated game just to poo poo on Sisko.

Also, I think it's hilarious that they thought the greatest player of all time would be a chubby Asian guy. While it was written 5 years before Mark McGwire's steroid fueled home run derby, it's not like early 90s baseball players were fatties like Babe Ruth.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 24, 2016

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mortanis posted:

Part of it is the Vulcans of ENT are missing half of Surak's teachings and are living a corrupted path. They mellow once they get all the patch notes on Surak's teachings.

An entire planet of No Man's Sky preorder customers.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

That's pretty impressive that they learn an antiquated game just to poo poo on Sisko.

Vulcans do nothing by half-measures.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cojawfee posted:

Also, I think it's hilarious that they thought the greatest player of all time would be a chubby Asian guy. While it was written 5 years before Mark McGwire's steroid fueled home run derby, it's not like early 90s baseball players were fatties like Babe Ruth.
Buck Bokai was probably a Japanese Augment

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

In the 80s and 90s everyone(or at least everyone who wrote sci fi) thought Japan was taking over the world, and Japan is like, the only other country who cares for baseball all that much, so it kind of makes sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WickedHate posted:

In the 80s and 90s everyone(or at least everyone who wrote sci fi) thought Japan was taking over the world, and Japan is like, the only other country who cares for baseball all that much, so it kind of makes sense.
For bonus points, he actually decided "gently caress this world conquest poo poo, I'm going to go crush home runs and nail groupies" and is the second coming of Genghis Khan in terms of number of patrilineal descendants.

e: He lived to be 137 apparently?

This '300 people in live attendance in 2042' almost makes sense between post-apocalyptica occuring then and how many sporting events get widely livestreamed. Probably all those 300 people were in luxury skyboxes.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 24, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aw yes, Excelsior flashback episode time!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.google.com/search?q=fat+baseball+players&tbm=isch

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Also, I think it's hilarious that they thought the greatest player of all time would be a chubby Asian guy.

Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics. Calculate the velocity, V, in relation to the trajectory, T, in which G, gravity, of course, remains a constant. It's not complicated.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

holy poo poo, Lal. That part where Riker, when Data asks him what he's doing with his daughter, and he just gets the gently caress outta 10 forward has to be my favorite moment so far

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

PenguinKnight posted:

holy poo poo, Lal. That part where Riker, when Data asks him what he's doing with his daughter, and he just gets the gently caress outta 10 forward has to be my favorite moment so far
Every time somebody mentions that episode to me, that's the part I think of because it's just hilarious. You just don't see Riker for the rest of the loving episode, he's totally out of there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HeartPlug posted:

When I first learned about Star Trek history I just assumed the Federation was the Vulcans' master plan all along, and their technology and diplomacy was just huge and eventually got overshadowed by loud brash humans who were their puppets.

I'm starting to get the impression though that Vulcans may be wise and mature but they're also really reserved and uninterested in the rest of the galaxy. The opposite of curious. Humanity's not their meatshield. Humanity's their bro of a college roommate who drags them along to parties and helps them make friends and maybe get laid once in a while.

Yeah you need a really good wingman for pon farr.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I'm doing a no-skip run of DS9 and the first really bad ep is Melora.

God drat this sucks.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Nessus posted:

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see him sock a few dingers?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

mystic pimp posted:

Every time somebody mentions that episode to me, that's the part I think of because it's just hilarious. You just don't see Riker for the rest of the loving episode, he's totally out of there.

Mainly becauae Frakes had to finish directing the episode, but the comedic cue is just perfect.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Baronjutter posted:

Man this really does look like a federation design, like a classic trek era version of a small warship of a similar role as the defiant.

It looks like a Federation design, but earlier than the TOS Constitution. It almost looks like it has a 1940s aesthetic with the fin. I like to think the design was stolen from a Federation ship they encountered in the Earth-Romulan war, and they later stole the Klingon D7.

Of course, Enterprise made it so they always had Bird of Prey ships kinda shaped like that, but whatever.

People call baseball and golf players "athletes" but uhhh... I personally disagree with that. If that's the case, people who play bowling, pinball and video games might as well be called "athletes" too.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 24, 2016

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Offspring also has the honor of making me sob like a little bitch at the end. Data just not getting the sense of horrified loss everyone else feels just drives it home. God, what a good episode.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Mortanis posted:

Phlox is awesome. He is a Denobulan, which I think is name dropped in the pilot and gets expanded on over the series. Denobulans are awesome.

T'Pol is poo poo on, unlike Phlox, because humanity (Starfleet mostly) has felt like the Vulcans have been keeping them in Fisher Price's My First Starship mode for a hundred years. Vulcans don't RUN Starfleet, but everything they say carries an absurd amount of weight and the pressures they exert on the humans is very consequential. Archer is the son of the man who spent his entire life pushing the boundaries of warp technology only to be boxed in by the Vulcans on all sides - the Warp 5 ship, in his estimation, should have been done in his father's lifetime and he blames the Vulcans for how they hold humanity back and forces them to take it slow. Naturally when T'Pol is assigned to the crew he feels like the Vulcans have just reached out and put a babysitter he can do nothing about on his ship, and it, to him, is indicative of the continued meddling of Vulcans in Human affairs. A lot of the others feel the same way. In that way, Archer is kind of justified (at least in his own mind. Really he's guilty of painting ALL Vulcans the same, and he never really notices that irony).

The feeling fades over the course of the 4 seasons and really Vulcan/Human relations is kind of a big point of the show - showing that sometimes Humans are right and that sometimes, even though it sucks, the Vulcans were totally right. The last season in particular (hurriedly) brings that all to a head.

That is good to hear. Thank you. I have already gotten some of that from the first episode (the stuff about Archer's dad), but it was hard to see how widespread or long-term the view of Vulcans was being only a few episodes into ENT.

Mortanis posted:

Holy poo poo. That's awesome. That already explains some of the differences between T'Pol and the Vulcans I've seen in other shows. She's almost amoral, and has no interest in exploration. Spock and Tuvok are both staunch moralists in their own ways, and Spock is a consummate explorer. I mean, his catch phrase is, "fascinating." That word doesn't seem to exist in T'Pol's vocabulary. If the half of Surak's teachings they have is, "stop being psychotic beasts and learn to control your emotions," then the other half must be, "...but don't be a loving prude and get out there and learn poo poo."

cenotaph posted:

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see him sock a few dingers?

Hahahaha oh god there's coffee all over my screen now gently caress

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Gammatron 64 posted:

People call baseball and golf players "athletes" but uhhh... I personally disagree with that. If that's the case, people who play bowling, pinball and video games might as well be called "athletes" too.

Uhh. Have you ever seen a baseball game?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ogmius815 posted:

Uhh. Have you ever seen a baseball game?

Or golf, for that matter.

The average carry on a tee shot (the distance it goes in the air) for a pro is 275 yards. Keep in mind that doesn't include roll and that's far enough for getting on the green for every par 3 on the planet in one shot and within wedge distance of most par 4s.

The average person is around 210. That 65 yards makes a hell of a huge difference. Also regular guy has garbage accuracy on long shots, so it's probably under a tree in the rough.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Baseball players have to run constantly on the field and use athletic ability to catch, throw long distances quickly, and tag the opposing player on most bases. How the gently caress is this not athletics?

Golf isn't athletic at all compared to most sports where its mostly experience and technique with some power for long drives but they use carts and caddies because they are a bunch of pussies, but baseball is a legit athletic sport. Golf is just a fun activity that requires skill

Golf needs its players to race to the next hole full spring with full bags on their back to make it much more interesting.

Also why the gently caress isn't soccer used a major sport more in Star Trek? Why the gently caress is water polo still a sport when humans become "enlightened"?

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 24, 2016

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
If you can't get a concussion in the course of expected play, it's not a sport.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Soccer still exists in Star Trek. Pretty sure basketball and hockey are still around, too. Baseball is extinct, though. It's really kind weird how big into baseball Sisko is when it died out before he was born. Spectator sports are an ongoing thing and the main appeal is watching a game while it's happening or close to it so you can root for a team. If the last game was a hundred years ago and you know who is going to win, that kind of takes the fun out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There are definitely some games from the 20s-50s I'd love to watch. I don't think it's odd at all for Sisko to like baseball, especially since he has a magic room that can literally put him in the stands for any of those games.