Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yesterday a ticket came in, we had to change the cpu/memory settings on like 100 vms. It got split up into a bunch of groups for 10 different engineers to work on.
I volunteered to do all of them.

I'm drinking a beer while the script runs. They all think I'm working hard.

If you're working in Windows, learn Powershell yah doofs.

I got to have a moment like this a few weeks back and it is the most self-satisfying feeling ever, I swear. One of the other guys on my team had been slowly doing links one-by-one for our internal wiki of all the multitudes of fiber service documents of all our customers for several hours. I crushed the remainder of the entire job (about 3/4's of it) down to about five minutes work with a half-hour job putting together a powershell script to mass-create properly-formatted URL's into a text file for a quick copy-paste :smuggo:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

iajanus posted:

Quick question that's probably been answered before:

Does anyone know of a decent free online product that I could use to set up a problem/solution database for my first level techs? There's a shitload of simple issues they have to deal with that would be made way more efficient with some easy online site where they could just search keywords and find an explanation/solution.

e: it would be useful if each of them could log in as themselves to make edits

Basically you want a wiki. There are dozens of them.

I like Confluence the best, but it's not free. However, it is cheap for small teams of up to 10 people. Hosted for $10/month or purchase and self-host for a one-time payment of $10.

Can easily be expanded as your team grows, if that's your thing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

ConfusedUs posted:

I like Confluence the best, but it's not free. However, it is cheap for small teams of up to 10 people. Hosted for $10/month or purchase and self-host for a one-time payment of $10.

The odds of my team increasing are 0 :v:. I'll be lucky if I can keep it at the 3+me it is at the moment.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

That's true but that factor is entirely back-facing and as a result it's not involved in making me deal with hysterical staff who've 'lost' their documents because they signed into Onedrive with their business email, or demands to make a Skype for Business meetings "just work" with invitees who are trying to join on Skype.

Skype for Windows desktop just works with Skype for business for video chat. Not on Mac though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ConfusedUs posted:

If it's for general documentation, why not just use Mediawiki?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Was kind of hoping for something not self-hosted and a bit simpler to edit for the L1s; they're not the most technical people :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iajanus posted:

Was kind of hoping for something not self-hosted and a bit simpler to edit for the L1s; they're not the most technical people :(

If the L1's aren't technical, they probably shouldn't be editing it anyway. If something needs changing, maybe tell them to pass it up the food chain via email or ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Confluence can arrange articles into a hierarchical structure that makes a lot more sense than MediaWiki's target usage where people are either searching for stuff or arrive via a direct link.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If the L1's aren't technical, they probably shouldn't be editing it anyway. If something needs changing, maybe tell them to pass it up the food chain via email or ticket.

I may have been slightly underselling them :). Slightly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lampey posted:

Skype for Windows desktop just works with Skype for business for video chat. Not on Mac though.
Also not if you're running on-premises.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hilariously, after poking around a bit we may have an old Confluence setup that isn't being used for anything

e: this company wonders why it's leaking money :v:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

Hilariously, after poking around a bit we may have an old Confluence setup that isn't being used for anything

e: this company wonders why it's leaking money :v:

You mean like a 20TB/day Splunk annual license that's not gone over 15% utilization in the last year?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

baquerd posted:

You mean like a 20TB/day Splunk annual license that's not gone over 15% utilization in the last year?

How is Splunk? I do telecom, not sysadmin, but I had a drunken conversation with someone while on vacation who though highly of it. Telecom stuff loves to generate logs on individual systems, so an aggregator of some sort would be awesome.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubjectVerbObject posted:

How is Splunk? I do telecom, not sysadmin, but I had a drunken conversation with someone while on vacation who though highly of it. Telecom stuff loves to generate logs on individual systems, so an aggregator of some sort would be awesome.

Splunk is pretty good, but expensive both for the license and to pay for the hardware to run it on. Skimping on hardware infrastructure to support your license results in severe service slowdowns.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

The one positive thing I can say about SharePoint is that there is no 'SharePoint for Business' brand fuckery that makes Onedrive and Skype such loving nightmares to discuss with staff.

OneDrive is a complete poo poo show right now - yes, even with the new OMGNEXTGEN sync client.

I want to love it, I really, really do. But I can't. :cry:

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Splunk works well for this.

Once upon a time, I handled real-time billing platforms in mobile operators and used splunk to decent effect.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
We run ELK as an alternative and it's great.

E: we've even done temporary packet capture into it when we found ourselves thinking "how the gently caress do we keep packet captures straight between these components"

Turns out we didn't even need it because the problem was being caused by a ForeScout (loving worst appliance ever) which uses the only mirroring port on our router so we never captured the issue happening :downs:

deimos fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 24, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Crowley posted:

OneDrive is a complete poo poo show right now - yes, even with the new OMGNEXTGEN sync client.

I want to love it, I really, really do. But I can't. :cry:

The Office 365 services that aren't Exchange Online are mostly half-baked poo poo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
aaand today I discovered that my organisation-mandated email signature is getting my emails blocked as spam to at least one recipient.

At least I got a bounce message from their server - but how many other recipients are blocking my 'spam' at the ISP level and not telling me?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

spog posted:

aaand today I discovered that my organisation-mandated email signature is getting my emails blocked as spam to at least one recipient.

At least I got a bounce message from their server - but how many other recipients are blocking my 'spam' at the ISP level and not telling me?

We had that happen and it ended up being the stupid "Check us out on facebook!" button that was an ad link.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
A ticket came in to run some diagnostic commands on a server at a point in time in early July.

My team of temporal admins will take a break from sending ourselves lottery ticket numbers to get right on that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GreenNight posted:

We had that happen and it ended up being the stupid "Check us out on facebook!" button that was an ad link.

Thanks for the suggestion: I took a look at the five different links and one of them was a bit.ly link to one of our domains (why?) - removing it seems to avoid the spam filter.

Good work marketing dept!

I am guessing that some ISPs silently block these messages without a 550 bounce message?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spog posted:

Thanks for the suggestion: I took a look at the five different links and one of them was a bit.ly link to one of our domains (why?) - removing it seems to avoid the spam filter.

Good work marketing dept!

I am guessing that some ISPs silently block these messages without a 550 bounce message?
Marketing departments use bit.ly links not just as a URL shortener, but so they can get demographics from people who've clicked that link. Take that bit.ly link and add a plus sign to the end of the URL and you'll see some of that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

The Office 365 services that aren't Exchange Online are mostly half-baked poo poo.

We waited so long for their MDM to be a thing. When they finally released it, it didn't even loving work.
I'm pretty sure it still doesn't actually work, either. We just went with AirWatch instead.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Marketing departments use bit.ly links not just as a URL shortener, but so they can get demographics from people who've clicked that link. Take that bit.ly link and add a plus sign to the end of the URL and you'll see some of that.

Cool. I assumed that you could get all of that from website analytics (since we own the target domain) - but I see that you can get more info this way.

Oh...here's the really fun part - the bit.ly link goes to a dead link, so it doesn't even work!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

spog posted:

If it's anything like us, lots.

And they only tell you when its too late and want to complain/cancel service! It's not helped that a lot of google based ISP mail providers have spam settings default to reject all, it's also not helped by our hideous handmade lovely signatures... my kingdom for exclaimer.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

18 Character Limit posted:

A ticket came in to run some diagnostic commands on a server at a point in time in early July.

My team of temporal admins will take a break from sending ourselves lottery ticket numbers to get right on that.

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. NTP works the same way.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's for general documentation, why not just use Mediawiki?

MediaWiki is easy to set up but not with the visual editor, which is still complicated multi-service arse to set up.

The basic out of the box thing works pretty well if you think they'll cope with computer guacamole.

The main thing is that loving nobody will write in it unless they want to. So they have to see why this is a good idea.

Also, intranet wikis rapidly become the Obsolete Documentation Archaeological Funhouse.

I've administered Confluence and it's loving horrible - size of a planet and finicky; if you use it, buy it as a service from Atlassian. Also, users hate using it. Management love it, probably because it lets them do complicated ACLs.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spog posted:

Cool. I assumed that you could get all of that from website analytics (since we own the target domain) - but I see that you can get more info this way.

Oh...here's the really fun part - the bit.ly link goes to a dead link, so it doesn't even work!
A fun thing about bit.ly is that if it's a malformed link, as in maybe they left a letter off or added an extra one, and no one's generated that short URL yet, you can create it and point it at whatever you want.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

spog posted:

This would require communication and knowing about what metrics are being collected

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

iajanus posted:

Quick question that's probably been answered before:

Does anyone know of a decent free online product that I could use to set up a problem/solution database for my first level techs? There's a shitload of simple issues they have to deal with that would be made way more efficient with some easy online site where they could just search keywords and find an explanation/solution.

e: it would be useful if each of them could log in as themselves to make edits

We use an ancient open-source variant of MindTouch (dekiwiki) at my job, it works decently well, and I believe has a wysiwyg editor out of the box.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

deimos posted:

We run ELK as an alternative and it's great.

E: we've even done temporary packet capture into it when we found ourselves thinking "how the gently caress do we keep packet captures straight between these components"

Turns out we didn't even need it because the problem was being caused by a ForeScout (loving worst appliance ever) which uses the only mirroring port on our router so we never captured the issue happening :downs:
I'm our main Forescout person at my company. That poo poo is a great and complicated tool but why are you giving it your only span? You can do more than one from a single device, before asking what you were trying to do?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

wtf I also found we have Freshdesk sitting around doing nothing and paid for. gently caress this company are insane.

In possibly related news, I just had my quarterly review (first one since I got to be in charge of a support team) and got effusive praise about my handling of the team and interdepartmental politics, they agreed with my planned projects and agreed to fund them in writing, and gave me a 10% pay rise.

wtf is happening I don't understand this feeling :psyduck: am I about to get fired?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

iajanus posted:

wtf I also found we have Freshdesk sitting around doing nothing and paid for. gently caress this company are insane.

In possibly related news, I just had my quarterly review (first one since I got to be in charge of a support team) and got effusive praise about my handling of the team and interdepartmental politics, they agreed with my planned projects and agreed to fund them in writing, and gave me a 10% pay rise.

wtf is happening I don't understand this feeling :psyduck: am I about to get fired?

It's your karmic reward for giving us the new thread title.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm our main Forescout person at my company. That poo poo is a great and complicated tool but why are you giving it your only span? You can do more than one from a single device, before asking what you were trying to do?

To specify, it's set up to protect our websites from the outside. The problem we were having with it was that it was silently sending TCP reset packets to our CDNs for hours at a time. And when I say it was doing it silently I mean it wasn't even showing the IPs it was blocking on the interface. We only figured out it was doing it by process of elimination "the problem is happening, quick plug in the packet capture to the mirroring port... gently caress it's not doing it when we plug in the packet capture... Revert the mirroring port to the CounterACT....son of a bitch it's the CounterACT sending the RSTs". We ended up white listing the IPs of all the CDNs we use and I set up a script that checks the subnet lists of our CDNs every day and alerts our network guys (who rarely automate anything) and automatically updates our AWS security groups if it changes.

Keep in mind, the traffic was squeaky clean, I mean Incapsula and Cloudflare when I say CDNs in this case.

That being said, it's not my gear so it could be misconfigured.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A ticket response from IT came in!

:) : Did my credentials for [internal web portal] expire? I can't log in and it says to open a ticket.

:downs: : Hi KillHour
yes,send me your domain password and i will reset it to the same one

We're a loving security company!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

KillHour posted:

A ticket response from IT came in!

:) : Did my credentials for [internal web portal] expire? I can't log in and it says to open a ticket.

:downs: : Hi KillHour
yes,send me your domain password and i will reset it to the same one

We're a loving security company!

You can be facebook (that is, "security" is not in your vocabulary) and still, such a request cannot be made. By doing this, IT just opened the gates to any phishing email that asks for passwords, from now till the end of times. Today is legit IT. Tomorrow it won't be.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spog posted:

Why not just check it? http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cool tool, thanks, but the bounce message stated that the block was content related.

Given that the message was pretty much 'hello' +my sig, it didn't need all my deductive powers to decide that the sig was the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A ticket (well, phone call) came in from India.

"All our PC's are being slow"

Oh ok, are you guys running anything on the network over there?

"just fix it please".

:smith:

• Locked thread