Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Byzantine posted:

More on the thread topic, a interesting what if movie would be a world without Christianity. Good luck getting that made without being full dumbass evangelical or maximum fedora, though.

Everyone worships Sol Invictus, Mithra or Isis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sbaldrick posted:

An adaption of The Lions of Al-Rassan would be pretty cool.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"

"Many religions already worship images" [shows footage of Muslims, the most aniconistic religion.]

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Byzantine posted:

More on the thread topic, a interesting what if movie would be a world without Christianity. Good luck getting that made without being full dumbass evangelical or maximum fedora, though.

It's be tough to look at the modern age just because so much had happened, but you could look at the fall of the Roman Empire.

The challenge is that removing the church means you have to account for the massive influence the Pope played on history. For example, what would the Reformation look like if there was no Catholic Church? That's not to say nature wouldn't find another way, but it's hard to say what would have happened.

The farther you get away from Rome, the more variables you had to play with. Maybe we'd all be speaking Mandarin.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Until the Empire starts collapsing and there's no Constantinople to serve as a lynchpin/repository of Greco-Roman culture. We might all be Zoroastrian with nothing to hold off Persia.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's be tough to look at the modern age just because so much had happened, but you could look at the fall of the Roman Empire.

Off topic for this thread, but given how popular post-apocalyptic stuff is, I always thought that a good movie could be centered around the fall of the Roman Empire with the trappings of a modern apocalyptic film. The novel Eagle in the Snow could be a good basis for it. I remember reading about a Roman garrison in the Alps who were forgotten when Romulus Augustulus was deposed and finally just abandoned their post and went back to Italy after not getting paid for a while. Centurion and Agora are kind of like that, I suppose.

Actually, Agora is a really good and not very well known movie about the conflict between pagan science and Christianity in late 4th century Alexandria that also touches on the role of women and slaves in classical society. It was also the first role I remember seeing Oscar Isaac in.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Columbine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyz...gzAYz2K049kOibQ

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 9, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Outrageous unrealistic hacking sequence? Sultry Latina Temptress? David AR White?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyz...gzAYz2K049kOibQ

And Columbine. Seriously, PureFlix and David AR White can eat a ginormous bag of dicks for this. That being said, it's gonna be offensively hilarious.

Oh, and if you're at all interested in Brad Jones' "Jesus, Bro!" movie, here's a short video of him and friends line reading a scene from it, wherein the Clay Walsh analogue that Brad plays no longer invented Girls Gone Wild....now he used to make snuff films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3D_IsmMos
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jesus-bro-movie#/

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oops posted wrong link

Here is right trailer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bNVq-BBYYPU

Paul Tyson (Ted McGinley) is a loving husband, devoted father and well-respected businessman on the brink of the biggest deal of his career. But when Julia (Ana Ayora), the breathtakingly beautiful representative sent to manage the buy-out of Paul’s company, Paul finds himself letting their relationship going further than he intended. As the pressures of a crumbling company creep in, and intense new feelings abound, wedding vows get put on the back burner and the question arises… Just what is adultery?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oops posted wrong link

Here is right trailer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bNVq-BBYYPU

Paul Tyson (Ted McGinley) is a loving husband, devoted father and well-respected businessman on the brink of the biggest deal of his career. But when Julia (Ana Ayora), the breathtakingly beautiful representative sent to manage the buy-out of Paul’s company, Paul finds himself letting their relationship going further than he intended. As the pressures of a crumbling company creep in, and intense new feelings abound, wedding vows get put on the back burner and the question arises… Just what is adultery?

I wonder if this is this part of the David AR White shared universe set up by the post-credits scene of God's Not Dead 2. Also hoping that Josh620 is the Duggar adulterer/molester as some kind of lust-based supervillain.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

That Columbine movie trailer sure has a weird time. If folks are somehow not familiar with a single school shooting that happens several dozen school shootings ago they might be in for a shock.

On the up side, it avoids the usual problem of showing all the interesting parts in the trailer so it gets a point.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

Off topic for this thread, but given how popular post-apocalyptic stuff is, I always thought that a good movie could be centered around the fall of the Roman Empire with the trappings of a modern apocalyptic film. The novel Eagle in the Snow could be a good basis for it. I remember reading about a Roman garrison in the Alps who were forgotten when Romulus Augustulus was deposed and finally just abandoned their post and went back to Italy after not getting paid for a while. Centurion and Agora are kind of like that, I suppose.

The Eagle might be the movie you are looking for. The setting is basically exactly the same as Centurion and unlike Centurion, The Eagle isn't a turd.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So Ben Hur came out this weekend and it absolutely bombed

quote:

Narrowly finishing in fifth place, Paramount and MGM's $100 million budgeted remake Ben-Hur proved a box office bust, delivering an estimated $11.35 million.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A hundred mil and they didn't advertise it. Amazing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
For something as big as Ben Hur felt like it wanted to be and what films tend to cost in this day and age, $100M seems like a relatively low budget. It might get some overseas business that could end up between the two making it a little money. I know on at least my Comet TV OTA channel, I get a bunch of ads for it and Magnificent Seven every commercial break.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Simplex posted:

The Eagle might be the movie you are looking for. The setting is basically exactly the same as Centurion and unlike Centurion, The Eagle isn't a turd.

The Last Legion wasn't very good, but it was neat for being set at the literal fall of the Western Empire (although for some utterly bizarre reason it says the date is 460, not 476). Romulus Augustulus gets smuggled out of Italy by loyalists who go looking for a surviving legion to get support against Odoacer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I saw a lot of Ben-Hur ads, but they were basically the same "your brother betrayed you -> Morgan Freeman found you -> Chariot race" for like three months.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Who was Ben Hur for? Fans of the original are in nursing homes, and I don't think kids are flocking to biblical epics these days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

I saw a lot of Ben-Hur ads, but they were basically the same "your brother betrayed you -> Morgan Freeman found you -> Chariot race" for like three months.

Same. If they wanted to push the Jesus angle they didn't advertise it very well. Although the movie theater I go to has had a giant standee for the movie for a couple of months now. However it does a poor job of advertising the movie because it is so big they kind of had to shove it off in a corner. Anywhere else and it would cause traffic problems.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The_Rob posted:

Who was Ben Hur for? Fans of the original are in nursing homes, and I don't think kids are flocking to biblical epics these days.
I feel like I ask myself the same question anytime someone drags up an old property and makes it into a movie with little fanfare. Like when they made a Jem movie last year but basically took nothing from the source material and tried to sell it to teenagers who have never heard of it. Needless to say it sold like 5 tickets.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I didn't realize there was a Ben Hur remake until I saw it listed on a local marquee.

Still probably better than the book.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Y'know, I'm 35 and I loving *love* the original (non-silent) Ben-Hur. It's intense as all hell, the chariot race is goddamned amazing, and Charlton Heston just rocks it throughout (even if he didn't know about the gay subtext). From what I've heard about this remake, they chopped an hour-and-a-half from the running time (well, you kind of have to in this day and age unless you're gonna make a 2 parter), and the film suffers terribly for it. poo poo, they let Messala live at the end, he just loses his legs. And apparently Jesus is an even bigger non-entity in this one than the original, but they toss in little cute references, as opposed to having the film being about Judah Ben-Hur and how his life intersected that of Jesus twice: Once when Jesus gave Judah water as he was being marched to slavery, and Judah returning the favor as Jesus was being marched to crucifixion.

This one just feels like "Hey, let's remake this thing!" "Great, how do we make it feel authentic to the original?" "...Morgan Freeman!" "High five, bro!" *commence cocaine snorting*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did they even market it to the type of people who will see any kind of 'Christian' movie? Based on the awful box office I would imagine no.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ben Hur feels like it was meant for fans of historical epics; the kind of people who went out in droves to see Gladiator. Which makes it even more bizarre that they barely advertised it at all.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Paradoxically, Ben-Hur (the new one) doing shittily at the box office is probably a strong argument in favor of the existence of a fair and just God.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

So Ben Hur came out this weekend and it absolutely bombed
Rather watch this

coyo7e posted:

Also if anybody knows where to watch this online I'd be grateful, I think I can't afford to miss it.

From some of the teaser stuff I've seen, that kid is even homelier on-screen

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I actually really want to see Ben-Hur but it seems like it'll be on streaming by the end of the year so may as well wait.

It only being 2 hours seems kinda disappointing though even though the '59 version was basically two movies in one.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Is he going to murder one of his horses?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've seen loads of ads for Ben Hur but it just looked like another Gladiator retread and I've found just rewatching Gladiator tends to scratch that itch for me. I've never seen the original and had no idea there was meant to be any kind of Christian angle to it until just now. Not surprised that it bombed and honestly I'm surprised they're still greenlighting these huge historical or biblical epics. Don't they tend to lose money every time, at least for the past 15 years or so? (feels like post-Alexander they've always been failures except for Mel's Passion of course).

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

I've seen loads of ads for Ben Hur but it just looked like another Gladiator retread and I've found just rewatching Gladiator tends to scratch that itch for me. I've never seen the original and had no idea there was meant to be any kind of Christian angle to it until just now. Not surprised that it bombed and honestly I'm surprised they're still greenlighting these huge historical or biblical epics. Don't they tend to lose money every time, at least for the past 15 years or so? (feels like post-Alexander they've always been failures except for Mel's Passion of course).

I think it's because of Mel's Passion that people keep trying to make the next biblical epic.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Noah and Exodus were moderate successes as well, although Exodus made almost all of its money on foreign markets. Maybe Ben Hur will share a similar fate.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

jojoinnit posted:

I've never seen the original and had no idea there was meant to be any kind of Christian angle to it until just now.

Look closely on this 1959 movie poster:

A Tale of the Christ

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There was a period when you could have your cake and eat it too by writing a story about Christ with plenty of scenes of orgies which were justified because you had to show how bad the alternative was. Ben-Hur is one of these, Quo Vadis is another. Needless to say, these were cocaine to directors and made piles of money at the box-office in remake after remake.

Maybe Left Behind serves the same purpose, in that you get to see the awful behavior that led to people's not being saved in time for the Tribulations?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I've seen someone call "Ben-Hur" inherently anti-semitic and is there any non-quack critical work done on that aspect of the story? Because it seems you'd have to call any rise of Christianity tale "inherently antisemitic" as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I've seen someone call "Ben-Hur" inherently anti-semitic and is there any non-quack critical work done on that aspect of the story? Because it seems you'd have to call any rise of Christianity tale "inherently antisemitic" as well.

The inclusion of "inherently" would suggest exactly that, though I don't see why that would be the case. It's not like there are any scheming evil Jews or anything. I guess just because it's about a Roman who converts to non-swarthy Jesus without any historical fidelity to Christianity being a Jewish cult?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Noah and Exodus were moderate successes as well, although Exodus made almost all of its money on foreign markets. Maybe Ben Hur will share a similar fate.

I loved Noah. It was just the right kinda crazy from Aronofsky. Loved the use of Big Bang imagery during the Genesis reading from Russel Crowe. Also Noah being driven mad by his mission to the extent of baby murder was an amazing twist.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Despite how bad the movie might be, casting Xerxes from 300 as Jesus is pretty great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved Noah. It was just the right kinda crazy from Aronofsky. Loved the use of Big Bang imagery during the Genesis reading from Russel Crowe. Also Noah being driven mad by his mission to the extent of baby murder was an amazing twist.

I don't think Noah was a good movie, but it was an interesting movie. I felt like things often got muddled with mixed messages. But the imagery was great and I appreciated the interesting interpretation of the story.

FWIW, Noah and Exodus were not really money makers. While they may have grossed more than their budget, the studio only gets a fraction of the domestic gross and a fraction of a fraction of the international gross. Movie theaters do not show films out of the goodness of their heart, they take a cut of that ticket price. And distributors take a cut. And there's other guys who take a cut, especially when you're talking about overseas. On top of that the reported budget is only what the film corporation (the company the studio creates specifically for the film so they can keep all the profits on their own books and off the film's books as part of Hollywood accounting) reports so studio expenses like the marketing budgets aren't included. It's possible that with ancillary revenues that Noah was just barely in the black, though I think it's more likely that it was a significant money loser. Exodus is at least a hundred million off from making money and probably more than that.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 25, 2016

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Noah brought in about $350m domestic plus international box office on a budget of about $130m, plus over $20m in home video business during the first four months of sales.

Exodus pulled $270m in against a $140m budget, and a little less than Noah in the home sales.

So it's up to the voodoo accountants.

Bolocko fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bolocko posted:

Noah brought in about $350m domestic plus international box office on a budget of about $130m, plus over $20m in home video business during the first four months of sales.

Exodus pulled $270m in against a $140m budget, and a little less than Noah in the home sales.

So it's up to the voodoo accountants.

It's not even the tricky accounting that Hollywood is infamous for. It's really as simple as film grosses are not the studio take. The studios only get about half of domestic gross back to them and about one-quarter of international gross back to them because people other than the studios have to get paid from those same ticket sales. There's variation in the percentages and you can never really know the extra costs involved, but it's a good rule of thumb for knowing if a film did well or not.

• Locked thread