Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Norns posted:

Dammit guys I don't have time to play f1 2016 but it sounds so good.

It's a lot of fun if you're ok with not having laser scanned tracks or a NASA-level tire model.

also the Max Verstappen 3D model is looooool ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

The game expects your wheel to be set to 360 degrees. It can't do it by itself like the other sims.

:psyduck:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

to beat the system, you have to become part of it

and turn on the dynamic racing line

nico will suffer 'accident'

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does the game simulate the sulking and sniveling when Hamilton doesn't win?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

holocaust bloopers posted:

also the Max Verstappen 3D model is looooool ugly

The Ultimate Sim Experience

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Now I have to buy F1 2016 along with AMS? I don't even like F1 racing...

I hate this thread so much.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
heres a hint, just ams, because f1 is better there thanks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

OhsH posted:

heres a hint, just ams, because f1 is better there thanks.

:agreed:

Also, iRacing GoonCar was good today and not sucky like Friday!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My new enemy is Helicon, but other than that it was ok.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really care for F1 simming though, just like a good Codemasters game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I'm the same, I find F1 cars in most games miserable to race but I like Codemasters' way of doing them enough to go there.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Cojawfee posted:

My new enemy is Helicon, but other than that it was ok.

:keke:

I don't remember what I did to you.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Helicon One posted:

:keke:

I don't remember what I did to you.

Flipped him good and proper into the bottom hairpin on lap... 3? That would do it.

This is like the 3rd week in a row that Coja has been epicly murdered by other people, resulting in barrel rolling into oblivion :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm lucky I don't get vr sickness.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

GhostDog posted:

Also:

Next Event:

You guys missed good cars. A few of us showed up and did some laps and holy that was a fun car track combo.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ziploc posted:

You guys missed good cars. A few of us showed up and did some laps and holy that was a fun car track combo.

Are there any Aussies in here, who still play games like Race 07? (or possibly Diry Rally...I've been increasingly tempted to get that, especially after the OP here said it's good)
Since I wouldn't mind having a drive with some of you guys, but last time I (accidentally) joined a US or European server, it was in Assetto Corsa and my ping was 5200!

EDIT: Here I am on Steam anyway, if there are Aussies/NZers who feel like a race now and again. Unrelated, but I'm also up for IL-2 and Rise of Flight as well, on the topic of sims! :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 24, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

So Fanatec decided that it's finally time to unveil their CSL lineup - no specs or pricing yet, but wheel base and pedals will go online this Friday. Looks like that means "available for pre-order", so might be actually in consumer hands by Christmas.

Facebook link from mobile, deal with my phoneposting

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Major Isoor posted:

Are there any Aussies in here, who still play games like Race 07? (or possibly Diry Rally...I've been increasingly tempted to get that, especially after the OP here said it's good)
Since I wouldn't mind having a drive with some of you guys, but last time I (accidentally) joined a US or European server, it was in Assetto Corsa and my ping was 5200!

EDIT: Here I am on Steam anyway, if there are Aussies/NZers who feel like a race now and again. Unrelated, but I'm also up for IL-2 and Rise of Flight as well, on the topic of sims! :v:

Yeah mate, Melbourne here.

That makes two of us, but perhaps there are more Aussies lurking.

A call to all Australians that can drive fast and perhaps don't think a V8 Supercar is all that 'Super' (ie you appreciate a family sedan hotted up is still.. a family sedan).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Major Isoor posted:

I'm not in Australia, but you should absolutely get Dirt Rally because it is really loving fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well someone will get them. Thomas posted on iracing asking for people to nominate someone to test the wheel base.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah mate, Melbourne here.

That makes two of us, but perhaps there are more Aussies lurking.

A call to all Australians that can drive fast and perhaps don't think a V8 Supercar is all that 'Super' (ie you appreciate a family sedan hotted up is still.. a family sedan).

:hf: Huzzah! (Arch-nemesis) Adelaidian here, so out connections won't be too flash, assuming we race - still, nothing we Australians (with our terrible internet infrastructure) aren't already used to! :v:

And yeah, I'm really gonna have to get Dirt Rally - although I'm hoping I can hold out until the next Codemasters discount day, as I just spent $50USD on an IL-2 expansion...

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Shine posted:

I'm not in Australia, but you should absolutely get Dirt Rally because it is really loving fun.

+1,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQjhLwVro8

Starting to get the hang of my new osw.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Major Isoor posted:

:hf: Huzzah! (Arch-nemesis) Adelaidian here, so out connections won't be too flash, assuming we race - still, nothing we Australians (with our terrible internet infrastructure) aren't already used to! :v:

And yeah, I'm really gonna have to get Dirt Rally - although I'm hoping I can hold out until the next Codemasters discount day, as I just spent $50USD on an IL-2 expansion...

Heh, I was born in Adelaide and spent the first 30 years of my life there. I've got 120Mb cable, so speak for yourself :)

If there are more Aussies we could try a tiny, Aussie Gooncar.. because all these English and Americans enjoy racing when we are sleeping.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dear PC Sim Racing Thread,

F1 2016 is really loving good. I haven't been playing anything else, I haven't logged into iRacing since buying it. I will write many words on this at some point, but let me just say right now.

Damage - Run it on Simulation and it's back to how it should be. I remember playing Microprose GP back in the day and the cars were more authentically fragile than F1 2014. I really dig it, it's one of the major parts of F1. F1 racing is about precision and unbelievable consistency, which in no small part is due to the cars exploding in clouds of carbon-fibre if you hit a kerb too hard (this literally happened this year). Rubbing is NOT racing in a F1 car.

Power - With all the driver aids off (on Elite) the power is fantastic. This insane thing uses electric power to explode out of the lower revs and then the two turbos kick in (with a whine I've learned to associate with awesome, the more you hear of the whine each lap the faster you're going) for the top end. I started by constantly putting the car in the wall, but two days later and ton of practice laps at Melbourne and I was just powersliding it like a Top Gear segment.

Graphics - It doesn't matter so much, iRacing is fine.. until you play F12016 for a while. It really draws me in and makes me want to keep lapping, the feeling of speed is well done. I feel my guts drop when the turbos sing and I launch out of a corner.

I can't really believe it still. Codemasters have made enough from these titles now that they're finally putting the resources into it we always wanted?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tony Montana posted:

F1 2016 stuff

I've been playing it a bit too and I'm really enjoying it. It looks amazing and the driving model is much improved from F1 2015. Also I suck so the improved flashbacks are nice too since wreck/reset becomes tiresome.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
F1 2016 strikes the right balance of enough sim aspects plus gameplay.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Heh, I was born in Adelaide and spent the first 30 years of my life there. I've got 120Mb cable, so speak for yourself :)

If there are more Aussies we could try a tiny, Aussie Gooncar.. because all these English and Americans enjoy racing when we are sleeping.

Seems like everyone other than me is slowly moving away from our stone age network technology! I'll join you all someday, on the Internet Superhighway of Tomorrow(tm) :saddowns:
(But yeah, it'd be great if we could get a couple of other Aussies/NZers/anyone-else-in-SEAsia together and have a race, at some point)

Also, as someone who isn't really big on F1 (I prefer to drive a little more aggressively/rough-and-tumble on occasion, and hopefully not die when doing so :v:), how would F1 2016 be? Otherwise I might just get Dirt Rally sooner, rather than later

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, you're an Adelaide bogan that loves the Clipsal 500!

Just giving you some poo poo, mate :)

Seriously, iRacing has both a Ford and Holden Supercar and they're modeled well. There is a large Aussie racing community for that series and we've got our own servers, so really if you want to drive more stock cars that's pretty good. You're not going to find the Melbourne F1 track anywhere but the F1 game, but that's probably not so important to you. iRacing has Philip Island and Bathurst, also if you're a sim racing fan and you've never seen iRacing you really should. So I'd say go and take a look at that, take the V8 of your choice around Bathurst at high speed and that even puts a smile on MY face.

Project Cars doesn't have American family cars, but it does have European cars like BMWs. The online racing is a lot more hit and miss though, you'll need to find servers to play on and people that don't suck.

F1 is super aggressive, but you can't hit each other. If you mean you pretty much want to be able to nudge a bit without losing a wheel every time, then yeah you're looking for stock car racing.

But yeah, I'll easily say any Aussie that is interested in sim racing and hasn't given iRacing a go, should. They put a lot of resources into bringing us into the fold (giving us our own servers, putting Aussie content in there like our tracks and national series) and for online racing it's easily the best.

It's a monthy subscription, but you can get the first three months at a discount and pay something like $15 bucks. Don't get hung up on that, people go on about it being expensive but even if you work retail full time it's still just change. I brought up my payment history with iRacing, I've been racing since 2011.. bought ever car and track that took my fancy and I've spent in total like $250 over the last 5 years. It's nothing, particularly when I do something like drop $60 on No Man's Sky before reading about it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Major Isoor posted:

Also, as someone who isn't really big on F1 (I prefer to drive a little more aggressively/rough-and-tumble on occasion, and hopefully not die when doing so :v:), how would F1 2016 be? Otherwise I might just get Dirt Rally sooner, rather than later

F1 2016 rewards you for being smooth and quick. Despite that, it's still a video game and is a super fun one at that. The cars are fragile so hitting other dudes can gently caress your race up, although I'm pretty sure damage can be toggled off.

Both F1 2016 and Dirt Rally are loving dope games for entirely different reasons. What they have in common besides the developer is that they're both fun as hell for anyone who's into cars.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Heh, you're an Adelaide bogan that loves the Clipsal 500!

Just giving you some poo poo, mate :)

Seriously, iRacing has both a Ford and Holden Supercar and they're modeled well. There is a large Aussie racing community for that series and we've got our own servers, so really if you want to drive more stock cars that's pretty good. You're not going to find the Melbourne F1 track anywhere but the F1 game, but that's probably not so important to you. iRacing has Philip Island and Bathurst, also if you're a sim racing fan and you've never seen iRacing you really should. So I'd say go and take a look at that, take the V8 of your choice around Bathurst at high speed and that even puts a smile on MY face.

Project Cars doesn't have American family cars, but it does have European cars like BMWs. The online racing is a lot more hit and miss though, you'll need to find servers to play on and people that don't suck.

F1 is super aggressive, but you can't hit each other. If you mean you pretty much want to be able to nudge a bit without losing a wheel every time, then yeah you're looking for stock car racing.

But yeah, I'll easily say any Aussie that is interested in sim racing and hasn't given iRacing a go, should. They put a lot of resources into bringing us into the fold (giving us our own servers, putting Aussie content in there like our tracks and national series) and for online racing it's easily the best.

It's a monthy subscription, but you can get the first three months at a discount and pay something like $15 bucks. Don't get hung up on that, people go on about it being expensive but even if you work retail full time it's still just change. I brought up my payment history with iRacing, I've been racing since 2011.. bought ever car and track that took my fancy and I've spent in total like $250 over the last 5 years. It's nothing, particularly when I do something like drop $60 on No Man's Sky before reading about it.

Heh, all good! :D And well, Clipsal 500 isn't bad, but I prefer driving the higher-powered LotusCaterham 7s best, myself! But yeah, I'm not necessarily talking about making contact with other cars (although granted, a little of that certainly wouldn't go amiss), just driving aggressively in general, really; "who dares, wins" and all that! (Like that recent Webber overtake at Spa, I suppose)

I will have to take a look at iRacing though - however I'm not sure about the likelihood of me playing that with some of the guys I regularly race with, which is the main concern. The common opinion/standpoint on that regard is:
Subscriptions :bahgawd:
Which may put a dampener on things, sadly. I will check though

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dirt Rally is totally amazing.

You need that, no question.

Actually between Dirt Rally and F12016.. Codemasters is kicking some serious rear end.

edit: yeah my local mates won't subscribe either.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

F1 2016 rewards you for being smooth and quick. Despite that, it's still a video game and is a super fun one at that. The cars are fragile so hitting other dudes can gently caress your race up, although I'm pretty sure damage can be toggled off.

Both F1 2016 and Dirt Rally are loving dope games for entirely different reasons. What they have in common besides the developer is that they're both fun as hell for anyone who's into cars.

Tony Montana posted:

Dirt Rally is totally amazing.

You need that, no question.

Actually between Dirt Rally and F12016.. Codemasters is kicking some serious rear end.

Alright well, between these posts (among others earlier in the thread; too lazy to multi-quote those in, too), I think it's been established that I need to get DR before even contemplating any other racing sim :D
Not sure if this has already been covered, but can you do regular rallies ('regular' as in, anything not like whatever those 'gymkhana' events were apparently like in the earlier DIRT games. I've only played the original DIRT, so I never experienced those) with other drivers driving at the same time as you, without it being a time trial/'ghosting'? Since we much prefer driving together, not driving separate time-trials and then having the game determine a winner from that - it's much more fun, having everyone else try to take you out in a 'subtle' manner, when you're winning the championship by a mile! :D

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nah Dirt Rally is played entirely solo. The only time other cars appear on track is in the rally cross mode.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Nah Dirt Rally is played entirely solo. The only time other cars appear on track is in the rally cross mode.

drat oh well, looks like it might be something I'll just wind up playing on my own, then. (well, excluding any goon events I guess) Still, I can basically guarantee I'm gonna get it, at this stage - looks great! Thanks for all the info on these by the way, guys.

EDIT: vvv Oh I will...I will :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 25, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Enjoy flying off a cliff

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, head to head with rally cars is Rallycross.. which you can probably do and I know I played a lot of it with the old dirt.

But head to head is really the domain of circuit racing, if that's what you want then I'd probably look to the tarmac. The thing with Rallycross is because there are usually big areas to the side of the track (or it's perched on a cliff or something), or there are trees there or any of the usual poo poo you'll find along a public road.. an off can totally end the race and write off the car. If it's just you, then that's your fault.. but if you got a bit of a bump on corner entry, even if the other guy didn't mean to, that's you done.

I've had some great Rallycross in old Dirt but it did always kinda end up in an argument, because the line between a bit of push and shove and you 'shitcunted' me (a term we came up with to describe deliberate contact, like using someone else as your brakes into a corner) is very fine.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

If you want good, non-subscription head to head multiplayer with buddies with rally cross, formula cars, V8SC or whatever, just buy Automobilista. Multiplayer servers are super easy to set up - OhsH managed while he wasn't high which is an accomplishment - and the driving model is pretty great.

Just buy AMS, it's baller.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

CaseFace McGee posted:

If you want good, non-subscription head to head multiplayer with buddies with rally cross, formula cars, V8SC or whatever, just buy Automobilista. Multiplayer servers are super easy to set up - OhsH managed while he wasn't high which is an accomplishment - and the driving model is pretty great.

Just buy AMS, it's baller.

It also hit 1.0 today, ill do a small write up about some of the weirder things about setting up a server, after checking if they fixed some of the issues in the 1.0 release.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Everybody okay with doing the Formula Vintage this Sunday? I'll probably not get a chance to try them before so I don't know how difficult they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Everybody okay with doing the Formula Vintage this Sunday? I'll probably not get a chance to try them before so I don't know how difficult they are.

Sure let's do it. Also, who actually practices for any GoonCar event? :shrug: