Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had a really bad day, looked at linkedin, saw someone post something really stupid on a public status about Obama, and wrote a rude reply. It's nothing awful, but I realized after I submitted it that I should never touch the poop that is politics when in my professional life.

A) Can someone who searches my profile see the comments I've made on other peoples' stuff?
B) If so, how do I get rid of that comment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Sorry for the late response, I didn't see your post.

Unfortunately I've literally never commented on anything on Linkedin, and if I've hit "like" on something it was almost certainly by accident. So I'm not an expert on this particular question. :(

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If someone were determined to find it (i.e. you are Donald Trump and everyone saves what you say/pull off of social media) they could find it, whether or not you deleted it. If you just go back to the comment, I am near-certain you can delete it. I just searched Google for "My name" site:linkedin.com to see if I could see anything I commented on, and it didn't even bring up group discussion posts, which I know I've made. LinkedIn's social media feed is useless, much like skill endorsements. Most normal people are just going to look at your profile and any other open public social media you have.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If someone were determined to find it (i.e. you are Donald Trump and everyone saves what you say/pull off of social media) they could find it, whether or not you deleted it. If you just go back to the comment, I am near-certain you can delete it. I just searched Google for "My name" site:linkedin.com to see if I could see anything I commented on, and it didn't even bring up group discussion posts, which I know I've made. LinkedIn's social media feed is useless, much like skill endorsements. Most normal people are just going to look at your profile and any other open public social media you have.

This was my belief but I didn't feel confident enough in it on my own to say as much. I don't know how Linkedin search would bring up discussion comments, but I wasn't ready to say it wasn't possible from my own knowledge.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah, I tried finding it and I couldn't. I was worried that there would be a facebook-style feed on the publicly visible profile page. There's not. It's not like I called anyone's mother a whore, I just said someone was talking out their rear end. I save calling peoples' mothers whores for SA.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Not the same, but related: When I was 14 I wrote a long rant reply to a hot-button political issue. Despite it being on an internet forum (not SA), I actually signed the post with my real, full name. I was a completely dumb teenager. I found the post 8 years later when I was 22 and searching for myself on Google before seeking my first real job out of college. I actually wrote a nice email to the webmaster asking if my name and email could be redacted. To my surprise he obliged within a couple days and a few weeks later I couldn't find any history of it on Google despite very targeted searches. YMMV.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
LinkedIn has been buggy as hell lately. Last month it kept showing that I had 3 pending invitations, but after I contacted support it turned out to be a bug they were trying to squash for a while. Took them about a month to fix it.

Today I checked my visitors and noticed people visited me in the future: July 7th, 8th, and 9th. Strange. I don't remember being a time traveler.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BULBASAUR posted:

LinkedIn has been buggy as hell lately. Last month it kept showing that I had 3 pending invitations, but after I contacted support it turned out to be a bug they were trying to squash for a while. Took them about a month to fix it.

Today I checked my visitors and noticed people visited me in the future: July 7th, 8th, and 9th. Strange. I don't remember being a time traveler.

Theyre also responsible for getting my passwords leaked. How nice of them.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BULBASAUR posted:

You mean you don't remember will have being a time traveler.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I just want to go on record and say gently caress Taleo apps

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
:agreed:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Just found this thread and will read up on it. Still in unemployment hell after a long time, even after using the Resume to Interviews service (which was great by the way). Added Stairmasters as a group and some other people, cheers.

Edit: Got a message back from one of the recruiters today, wanting my resume. Crossing fingers for something to happen.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 13, 2016

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006
I'm passively looking so hard it hurts. I work for a significant name at a fairly senior level in a high demand field with a large (just under 500) pool of connections, and I've never gotten a single unsolicited request from a recruiter. Anyone willing to connect and make suggestions on my profile? Will happily buy you a drink or send a gift card or something. Send me a pm!

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
I've also been grinding LinkedIn harder and (hopefully) more efficiently after finding this thread. Filled out my profile, now just gathering more connections, groups, and (still) applying wherever whenever. Still waiting for Stairmasters approval (did I need to mention stairs or something?) I feel like I'm grinding some kind of JRPG, making progress at indeterminate increments. My profile is now up to expert, so it's just a matter of racking up slimes at this point, I guess?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

HiroProtagonist posted:

I don't know what this means really--it almost sounds like you have skeletons in the closet or something that you want to keep hidden. There's no reason to worry if you stick to professional qualifications and a professional tone in your profile, and don't go listing your favorite bands or all the holiday destinations you've been to or something. If you don't want to include the music stuff, then don't.

This is a bit old but I read OP's concern as being that Very Serious Suit and Tie People would snoop through his connections and see that he has (social) connections who are Unserious Slacker Degenerate Artists or the like. I'm mostly mentioning it because mine's the same way--I work in tech, mostly at a finance place for the last several years, so my co worker connections are all finance and corporate IT types, but my social circle connections are people who do all kinds of other stuff, there are music producers and freelance artists and writers and so on.

Personally that seems like a gigantic red flag that this person or place would be awful to work for but I could understand not feeling like you were in a position to alienate any given prospect.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah that attitude is bizarre. You see I'm a different person when I walk into the office, I would never go to concerts or smoke pot, that's some other person that is not who I am in this building. I must hide this alter identity from my coworkers as much as possible, they must never know about it because it's too alternative and edgy!

Guess what all the very serious people wearing ties you're trying to impress smoke pot and go to concerts too. Relax, nobody cares.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BabyJebus posted:

I'm passively looking so hard it hurts. I work for a significant name at a fairly senior level in a high demand field with a large (just under 500) pool of connections, and I've never gotten a single unsolicited request from a recruiter. Anyone willing to connect and make suggestions on my profile? Will happily buy you a drink or send a gift card or something. Send me a pm!

1) I don't see anything that stands out as OH NO!

2) I have >50 recruiters/HR people and I'd say many of my unsolicited connections came from people who were a 2nd connection of another recruiter I may have added myself. You may want to simply add recruiters in your industry or at companies you may want to work for so that you will be a 2nd connection to the people who may actually be looking for you. For example I got my job in tech through LinkedIn from a recruiter who was a second to some rando recruiter from Apple or Google I added.

3) I find the text in your job descriptions and summary somewhat boring. I am not knowledgeable about working at the director level nor do I have a good example of a LinkedIn at that level I find not boring.

4) Look at 10+ people who have the job you want at the places you want. How does your experience, education and work profile compare?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 21, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Opinions on putting post-nominals with a masters degree in your name on LinkedIn to stand out? Eg if I have have a masters in systems engineering being Bob Roberts, MSSE

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I do it, going by the maxim of BLUF. If someone wants someone with an ITIL cert who's a member of a professional association for proposal managers, it's all there in my tagline.

If people think it's dumb, they probably weren't looking for someone with my skills and experience, so I'm fine with it. Important degrees/certs or rare certs for a particular skillset are all fair game imo. No need to limit post-nominals to only graduate degrees.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
How do I find a good recruiter for engineering jobs? Should I just search "engineering recruiter" and connect with people with that title in my area?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

How do I find a good recruiter for engineering jobs? Should I just search "engineering recruiter" and connect with people with that title in my area?

I'd start there, yea.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Also under Jobs -> preferences there's an option to be "searchable" for recruiters in various fields. Don't know if it works very well or not but anecdotally I had two recruiters cold contact me in the past week after turning it on.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
I connected with a bunch of recruiters last week as I just got laid off the Friday before, and I want to basically just spam the hell out of them to see if anyone can land me a job. Is there a proper way to send that message besides something like "Hi, thanks for connecting. I have recently begun a new job hunt, and was wondering if you had time to discuss how we might be able to work together in locating a new career for me"?

I've never really asked people to help me find a job for me, so I'm not really sure of the best way to phrase this.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Your phrasing is a bit wonky, but essentially yeah. Just switch "in locating a new career for me" with "on any open opportunities you may have currently."

Also try posting a short summary of your qualifications in relevant groups and mention that you're seeking new opportunities.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

Your phrasing is a bit wonky, but essentially yeah. Just switch "in locating a new career for me" with "on any open opportunities you may have currently."

Also try posting a short summary of your qualifications in relevant groups and mention that you're seeking new opportunities.

Yea I was gonna clean it up for the actual message for when I send it out, but wasn't sure what all I needed to include. Job hunting is boring as poo poo though

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm really glad someone told me this thread existed because several people told me "Use linkedin" and "Network" and I had exactly zero idea how to do those things.

The main issue I've got is trying to complete my profile; the thing that says "beginner" doesn't give me anything to do when I click it. Is it just bugged or what?

EDIT: Also I have the issue I'm currently unemployed. Is it best to put your job title as "Unemployed" or make something up?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 24, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

spectralent posted:

I'm really glad someone told me this thread existed because several people told me "Use linkedin" and "Network" and I had exactly zero idea how to do those things.

The main issue I've got is trying to complete my profile; the thing that says "beginner" doesn't give me anything to do when I click it. Is it just bugged or what?

EDIT: Also I have the issue I'm currently unemployed. Is it best to put your job title as "Unemployed" or make something up?

95% of the people just leave their last job as "current" and then be like whoops I forget to update it I guess!

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
So when you're posting that you're available for work on various groups, do you post that in conversations or groups?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

momtartin posted:

So when you're posting that you're available for work on various groups, do you post that in conversations or groups?

Groups should have a "Jobs" tab, unless I'm mistaken and something has changed, that'd probably be the best place to post something.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "conversations," though.

edit: never mind, makes sense now. Yes, I would post it as a "conversation" in the Jobs tab.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Would anyone mind critiquing my LinkedIn profile page? I always appreciate pointers/advice.

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jordanroherty

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So is there any downside to spamming connections to anyone in my area with the word "recruiter" in their title?

I plan on making the most of this tactic by following up with my e-mail address and an offer to send my resume and chat about possible positions.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 12, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Would anyone mind critiquing my LinkedIn profile page? I always appreciate pointers/advice.

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jordanroherty

I would suggest uploading a photo of yourself where you don't look like you just saw your pet die

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

U-DO Burger posted:

I would suggest uploading a photo of yourself where you don't look like you just saw your pet die

Haha, ok, fair enough. I seriously don't have any at the moment, but I'll get one.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So is there any downside to spamming connections to anyone in my area with the word "recruiter" in their title?

I plan on making the most of this tactic by following up with my e-mail address and an offer to send my resume and chat about possible positions.

This is in fact the recommended tactic. ;)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

HiroProtagonist posted:

This is in fact the recommended tactic. ;)

There's a couple of companies in my area with 10,000+ employees with positions I'm interested in. I'm applying on their websites, but the listings don't give a contact and the companies have a bunch of people in HR/Recruitment. What's the best way to try to reach out to them on or off LinkedIn? Should I just pick someone with the most recruitment like title, shoot them a connection, and hope they accept so I can message them?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

There's a couple of companies in my area with 10,000+ employees with positions I'm interested in. I'm applying on their websites, but the listings don't give a contact and the companies have a bunch of people in HR/Recruitment. What's the best way to try to reach out to them on or off LinkedIn? Should I just pick someone with the most recruitment like title, shoot them a connection, and hope they accept so I can message them?

If you are connecting with the intent of boosting your application's visibility, that is fine, but unless you are going to message people about general opportunities instead, messaging them about submitted applications might be a little too aggressive. The former is fine.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

HiroProtagonist posted:

If you are connecting with the intent of boosting your application's visibility, that is fine, but unless you are going to message people about general opportunities instead, messaging them about submitted applications might be a little too aggressive. The former is fine.

Is there a good way to follow up in this situation, or am I already sunk by going in without knowing anyone before applying? I'm probably overqualified for the positions I'm applying to, but I'm underpaid by about 50% and my current employer is an overrun psych ward so I'm trying to look like the perfect candidate without smelling strangely desperate.

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
Just following up with my second linkedin success story:

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

I'm back on the market after my linkedin success story 2 years ago. I've been directly messaging recruiters like before, but have had less success. I have 6 years of experience now, and 1 year at the senior level. A bit surprised at the low response rate. Either people started using linkedin correctly so recruiters are desensitized or I'm just targeting established companies with higher volume (Microsoft, Amazon, etc.)

This was the longest most difficult job hunt I've ever had. I moved from San Francisco to Seattle. It took ~6 months of searching, retraining myself to have new skills, transitioning into a more technical role, having little support from family, and using every trick I knew to pull it off. It also paid off big time, landing an amazing opportunity I never expected to have. Its been a humbling experience.

I ended up using a linkedin premium business account due to the lovely new search paywall. I was targeting big companies like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon. I found recruiters and hit them up about listings I found on their job portals. I wouldn't settle for bad offers or a position that wouldn't be good for my career, which added to a lot of the time and meant I turned down companies halfway through my process with them. I interviewed with all the big boys, but it was Amazon that ended up being the easiest to work with. I hit up a recruiter for an Amazon role through LinkedIn, who basically gave me their typical phone screen. The job I applied for ended up getting filled the day I spoke with him, but I took the chance to tell him about another role I thought I was a good fit for. He followed through and forwarded me to the person handling it. That's the chain of events that got me an offer with them 3 months later.

I left a bad job in the entertainment industry 3 years ago which was my first gig out of college. I was making barely 32,000 a year living paycheck to paycheck in the bay area. My priority was to get marketable skills and start making serious money. I used linkedin to find my path out of that lovely career track and doubled my salary- 65,000 a year doing less work with a better title at a random startup. I did that for a year and then networked into a senior level role at a medium sized company. I bumped my salary up to 90,000. Less than a year later, they were acquired by a bigger company and laid off most of my office. My new job isn't senior level, but it's a much more marketable title and position. I'm now making north of 120,000 and my cost of living went down by probably 30%. So, thanks to a lot of hard work and risk taking, I've basically quadrupled my income in 3 years. I look at some of my old colleagues back at my first company and they have the same titles making the same pitiful wages.

I know I was underpaid out the door and others have even more impressive stories earlier in life, but I wanted to share what I've been able to achieve largely thanks to linkedin, hard work, and networking. I'm 28 and while I've always been ambitious, I don't consider myself an exception person. If you're reading this thread from the pit of work related despair, don't give up, keep at it, and take those calculated risks. Linkedin is harder to use than before, but it's a very very valuable tool if you know how to use it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Is there a good way to follow up in this situation, or am I already sunk by going in without knowing anyone before applying? I'm probably overqualified for the positions I'm applying to, but I'm underpaid by about 50% and my current employer is an overrun psych ward so I'm trying to look like the perfect candidate without smelling strangely desperate.

Not exactly already sunk, no, but it would have probably been more effective to let them take a look at your qualifications first and then filter through the open positions for you instead. This is good because it's already getting started on building a good rapport and working relationship, as well as having the potential for matching you to opportunities you might have missed when looking yourself, or opportunities that are unpublished or internally sourced and not publicly posted.

Can't hurt to say hi and get their attention, even so. But gunning for a recruiter to hound them about submitted applications is a good way to get ghosted on and would probably come off as pretty desperate, if that's an impression you want to avoid.

Also bear in mind that there is no guarantee any single person will respond to you or actually make any effort in response to a contact. This is something to accept as a fact of life and is the reason for casting a wide net by contacting as many people as you can find (if you're so inclined).

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

I know I was underpaid out the door and others have even more impressive stories earlier in life, but I wanted to share what I've been able to achieve largely thanks to linkedin, hard work, and networking. I'm 28 and while I've always been ambitious, I don't consider myself an exception person. If you're reading this thread from the pit of work related despair, don't give up, keep at it, and take those calculated risks. Linkedin is harder to use than before, but it's a very very valuable tool if you know how to use it.

These are always great stories to hear. :) Congratulations on your success!

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I have like 13 traffic tickets that show up on my background check (dumb, I know). Is this something employers care about?

• Locked thread