Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really miss all the goofy poo poo that the world tournament had, like the wacky races episode, and gunpla baseball. Even the pure fight one's had some interesting ideas, like the battle royale.

But nope, gotta stick with the 3 v 3 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The island OVA reinforced something about Gundam Build Fighters that everyone already knew:

The Bearguy series is the absolute best thing in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

The island OVA reinforced something about Gundam Build Fighters that everyone already knew:

The Bearguy series is the absolute best thing in it.

Bandai is well aware of it themselves. Petit Beargguys are their own gunpla line now - HGPG.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Just watched the OVA. As soon as it started, I realized, I don't remember jack poo poo about Tri. It was so forgettable. Which is sad, since BF was so, so good.

As soon as I saw that girl, though, I thought she might be Reiji and Aila's daughter, and I am happy that it was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After seeing PM Abe dressed as Mario to prepare for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, I have to wonder if that moving 1:1 scale Gundam Japan was allegedly working on would feature in the opening ceremony. Wouldn't that be a sight for the Olympics.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Gunpla battling as an Olympic event.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There were olympic promos with doreman, hello kitty, and pokemon so gundam is a high possibility if they want to show their iconic media stuff.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Gunpla battling as an Olympic event.

The 2020 Olympics, AKA Future Century Year 1.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/80s_anime/status/768221086060347392?s=09

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Finished Double Zeta. That too was pretty good. The lighter beginning was a breath of fresh air after watching non stop serious stuff. It's a given to say the latter half was where it was the strongest. I did like that even when poo poo hit the fan it never got into the :( levels Zeta did. Though I gotta say Minerva being a double the whole time was kind of odd decision but eh w/e I guess. Also :drat: at Roux sniping Glemy's stupid rear end off the mobile suit. Roux definitely earned best female character in the franchise for THAT. That said I'm kinda glad this Tomino series had something of an actual epilogue/ending where MGS ended like "AND THEY BLEW UP IT ALL UP AND GOT OUT THE END" and Zeta's "AND THEN CAMILLE RAMMED THE 'BECOME A POTATO' BUTTON AND FA IS SAD THE END" Overall I give the series a B+ due to the weak moments in the first half.

Also Full Armor Double Zeta Gundam is the coolest Gundam and could beat up your dad easy. :colbert:

Onto Char's Counter Attack!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Before you ask about CCA, nope you didn't miss any filler/manga bridging the two. That is how it starts.

Also, love that glimpse of those scans. HEY GARMA YOU LIKE SECOND HAND SMOKE RIGHT?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm very passional

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I give z a pass for it's ending since zz gundam premiered a week after z ended. It's not surprising that it didn't wrap everything up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In production stages ZZ was literally being referred to as Zeta Gundam Part 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a way to buy Gundam blu-rays for a non insane import price? I really like Thunderbolt (as I have said repeatedly), but not to the point where I'll spend 90 bucks to get a blu-ray.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there a way to buy Gundam blu-rays for a non insane import price? I really like Thunderbolt (as I have said repeatedly), but not to the point where I'll spend 90 bucks to get a blu-ray.

At this the only way is to wait. Rightstuf is being pretty aggressive about licensing everything so it will probably show up eventually but it may be a couple of years.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Midjack posted:

At this the only way is to wait. Rightstuf is being pretty aggressive about licensing everything so it will probably show up eventually but it may be a couple of years.

Given the turn around on Build Fighters, Try, and G-Reco, I imagine that Thunderbolt will not be a long wait.

What are the Gundam series without a Blu-ray releases? I know G was announced recently, so does that leave Wing (edit: and X)? I thought 0080 had one but I can't find any info about it and it's being released in the West in DVD so I'm guessing I imagined it.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Char's Counter Attack really could have benefited from an additional 20-30 minutes of footage, wow. Otherwise, holy poo poo that was really cool. Best mobile suit battles yet. Spoiler thoughts: Quess was an idiot. Hathaway is a big loving stupid baby. That entire ending sequence was amazing with suits from both sides trying to stop the meteor. Also Char's final words? drat, wasn't expecting THAT at all.

Unicorn time~

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not Dave posted:

Given the turn around on Build Fighters, Try, and G-Reco, I imagine that Thunderbolt will not be a long wait.

What are the Gundam series without a Blu-ray releases? I know G was announced recently, so does that leave Wing (edit: and X)? I thought 0080 had one but I can't find any info about it and it's being released in the West in DVD so I'm guessing I imagined it.

There was a Wing BR release in Japan. I still don't know why they're taking so long to bring it over here. Do they think Turn A will sell more?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's better to spread out releases, especially when there's an overlap in audiences. Don't want your releases to compete with each other.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think CCA needed more time, though ZZ really should have set it up better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was CCA always intended to be a film, or was it similar to F-91 where it was supposed to be a larger series before getting chopped down?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I love tiny cape bot

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was CCA always intended to be a film, or was it similar to F-91 where it was supposed to be a larger series before getting chopped down?
As the story goes, CCA was a project that Tomino was planning during ZZ's development, and subsequently negotiating with Sunrise execs at the same time as directing ZZ. Part of the tone change in ZZ around the midpoint was apparently due to Tomino getting the green light to go ahead with CCA, resulting in him changing directions with ZZ to better lead into CCA.

Now, there's also a novelization called Beltorchika's Children/Hi-Streamer written by Tomino that changes a bunch of details (Nu Gundam and Sazabi don't exist; Hi-Nu and Nightingale are Amuro and Char's respective Mobile Suits) and characters (I believe Gyunei, Kayra and Chan do not exist in the novel and were all created for the movie) and IIRC, is what Tomino wanted to do with CCA but ultimately did not. Think of it as a quasi-director's cut version of events. This version ties more directly with the Hathaway's Flash novel due to the big changes, with Hathaway being the one to kill Quess instead of the "Chan kills Quess-->Hathaway kills Chan as a rational followup response" sequence like in the movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched the BFT OVA and, I wish the tv series had been more like this.

The fighting was pretty whatever but it did a nice job at addressing my biggest complaint with the series insomuch that the cast bounced off each other quite well instead of the supporting cast being discarded.

I was down on the tv series but if this OVA is an indicator of what to expect from whatever they do next with Try then heck, I'm down with it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

As the story goes, CCA was a project that Tomino was planning during ZZ's development, and subsequently negotiating with Sunrise execs at the same time as directing ZZ. Part of the tone change in ZZ around the midpoint was apparently due to Tomino getting the green light to go ahead with CCA, resulting in him changing directions with ZZ to better lead into CCA.

Now, there's also a novelization called Beltorchika's Children/Hi-Streamer written by Tomino that changes a bunch of details (Nu Gundam and Sazabi don't exist; Hi-Nu and Nightingale are Amuro and Char's respective Mobile Suits) and characters (I believe Gyunei, Kayra and Chan do not exist in the novel and were all created for the movie) and IIRC, is what Tomino wanted to do with CCA but ultimately did not. Think of it as a quasi-director's cut version of events. This version ties more directly with the Hathaway's Flash novel due to the big changes, with Hathaway being the one to kill Quess instead of the "Chan kills Quess-->Hathaway kills Chan as a rational followup response" sequence like in the movie.

there were two novelizations, Hi-streamer came before the movie and Beltorchika's children after. They are not the same thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

I watched the BFT OVA and, I wish the tv series had been more like this.

The fighting was pretty whatever but it did a nice job at addressing my biggest complaint with the series insomuch that the cast bounced off each other quite well instead of the supporting cast being discarded.

I was down on the tv series but if this OVA is an indicator of what to expect from whatever they do next with Try then heck, I'm down with it.

I'm not, really. One of the biggest draws of GBF was the superb fight choreography, and while Try didn't have nearly as much of that, it still had glimmers. The OVA had absolutely none. The fights made 00's battles look lively and imaginative. Hell, the untra-hyped Scramble Gundam barely did anything except stand there and open portals.

My confidence that new Try stuff will at least give us the occasional good fight is rapidly diminishing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe the goofy gundam spinoff has more to offer than fights

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
xpost

good to see ZZ Gundam gettin out after its owner hosed off to Jupiter

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

there were two novelizations, Hi-streamer came before the movie and Beltorchika's children after. They are not the same thing.
Ah, I thought they were the same thing but with two different titles for some weird reason. My bad.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not, really. One of the biggest draws of GBF was the superb fight choreography, and while Try didn't have nearly as much of that, it still had glimmers. The OVA had absolutely none. The fights made 00's battles look lively and imaginative. Hell, the untra-hyped Scramble Gundam barely did anything except stand there and open portals.

My confidence that new Try stuff will at least give us the occasional good fight is rapidly diminishing.

I mean yeah, the fights in the OVA were indeed lame. But my personal problem with Try was always more on the character side of things and the OVA took some stabs at fixing it such that I have a positive view of the future.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've come around on Hathaway and Quess with time. They were failed by the people who should have helped them.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Holy gently caress episode 1 of Unicorn was awesome. :aaaaa: Seeing all the collateral damage was surprising.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The cycle begins anew

Zeratanis posted:

Holy gently caress episode 1 of Unicorn was awesome. :aaaaa: Seeing all the collateral damage was surprising.

Yeah, it's basically a rehash of the situation from the very first Gundam but this time the level of firepower people are bringing is much higher and the consequences even more brutal.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

unicorn episode 1-3 are really good, IMO.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Droyer posted:

I love tiny cape bot

Regal Lily is cool and good and my new best friend.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monaghan posted:

unicorn episode 1-3 are really good, IMO.

Episodes 1-3 are boring and predictable IMO. Episode 4 is the best by far and 5 is good too. Banagher sucks in every episode though and riddhe needs to be more present.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Even if you think they are predictable, it's hard to see how they are boring, because gently caress me if the one thing you can't deny Unicorn, it's that it has really impressive action sequences.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

I love tiny cape bot

A red cape has specific symbolic meaning in the context of Iron Blooded Orphans, thinking about it. It's an old school duelist's thing, basically telling your opponent to meet you out by the bike rack.

Pretty uncommon in the "present" of the show, which makes me wonder what this dude's deal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DamnGlitch posted:

Even if you think they are predictable, it's hard to see how they are boring, because gently caress me if the one thing you can't deny Unicorn, it's that it has really impressive action sequences.

If you say so. I just like when I can root for characters that I know and am invested in. Banagher I am never invested in. But Episode 4 is still great, don't get me wrong, but that is only after we've grown to know Zinnerman and his crew and understand the bitterness that drives Neo Zeon.