Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's zero licensed 4k content available on the PC. DRM hurdles are so high that no one is bothering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

bull3964 posted:

There's zero licensed 4k content available on the PC. DRM hurdles are so high that no one is bothering.

Skipping PC doesn't even stop it from getting pirated but whatever. There's plenty of amazon and netflix 4k rips out there of the more popular stuff.

An Xbox One S is probably the best bet for 4k stuff right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't imagine a decent 4K TV exists that doesn't have built-in Netflix and/or Amazon.

I guess there's some Hisense or whatever things that don't have smart features but also don't look remotely good.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

havenwaters posted:

Skipping PC doesn't even stop it from getting pirated but whatever.

Please don't use logic in this argument

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

havenwaters posted:

An Xbox One S is probably the best bet for 4k stuff right now.

The lack of bitstreamed audio makes it a complete nonstarter for anyone with a decent audio system.

I would have bought one yesterday if it could bitstream. Now, I'm waiting for the info about the PS4 Neo. Failing that, I might pick the Philips UHD player.

Or not. UHD discs are still scarce and most of them are upscales. About the only stuff I would want to play on a UHD blu-ray player right now is Deadpool, Ghostbusters(1984), and Independence Day. Investing in a $300 player for three movies is a bit daft.

HDR was the draw if the title was upscaled, but it's looking like color grading for HDR is a poo poo show right now. The are also mastering HDR10 for 4000nits with many titles right now which even the brightest of LCDs isn't able to produce. So, since HDR10 isn't dynamic like Dolby Vision, pretty much everything will clip at some point.

In short, anything beyond normal blu-ray is a crap shoot right now of ill thought out specs and half adoption from content makers, distributors, and electronics manufacturers.

That's one of the reasons why I went with OLED this round rather than one of the higher end FALD LCDs that can get much brighter. OLED is still the best way to view SDR HD content and there's going to be a lot of that for awhile.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Independence Day disc is garbage, so you can scratch that one off your list too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh, that one is actually mastered at 4k too and was from a film source.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

The lack of bitstreamed audio makes it a complete nonstarter for anyone with a decent audio system.

I would have bought one yesterday if it could bitstream. Now, I'm waiting for the info about the PS4 Neo. Failing that, I might pick the Philips UHD player.

Goddamn. I've always wondered why DRM-free MP3s won out in the end with digital music sales, but there's no way to buy a publisher-encoded high quality copy of a movie unencumbered that will play on PCs, mobile devices, or wherever you want easily.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you want demo level HDR content, download the LG videos posted near the bottom of this first post.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...ated-often.html

Kind of mind blowing.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If you want demo level HDR content, download the LG videos posted near the bottom of this first post.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...ated-often.html

Kind of mind blowing.

The Dolby Vision stuff looks amazing. Same for the balls and poo poo on the speakers. Well all of it looked awesome. I remember seeing these play on the demo B6 at Best Buy and being amazed.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Are there any good 40" 4K+HDR screens? The current best one seems to be the Sony XBR-43X800D but that's only 60Hz. Does that really matter anymore? I kind of want to get the Samsung Serif but I know it doesn't have a great display, also it's $1400 for 40" but it would go so well with my place. Why won't LG make 40" OLED displays!?!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Animale posted:

Are there any good 40" 4K+HDR screens? The current best one seems to be the Sony XBR-43X800D but that's only 60Hz. Does that really matter anymore? I kind of want to get the Samsung Serif but I know it doesn't have a great display, also it's $1400 for 40" but it would go so well with my place. Why won't LG make 40" OLED displays!?!

40" is way too small for 4K to have any benefit at all, unless you're sitting at monitor-style distances. Most of the TV manufacturers have stopped putting any effort into 40" displays, and will just use it as a dumping ground for years old tech built at the lowest prices possible.

You gotta look at bigger screens to get better TV displays.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm honestly surprised LG still makes a 55". I wouldn't be shocked if it gets eliminated from the lineup in a year or two.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

40" is way too small for 4K to have any benefit at all, unless you're sitting at monitor-style distances. Most of the TV manufacturers have stopped putting any effort into 40" displays, and will just use it as a dumping ground for years old tech built at the lowest prices possible.

You gotta look at bigger screens to get better TV displays.

That sucks since anything bigger would completely overtake my space. The joys of living in a tiny apartment in the city. I'm currently sitting around 6' from the tv which is a 32".

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't get it. Right in the middle for a 55".

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

sellouts posted:

I don't get it. Right in the middle for a 55".

I live in 450 Sq ft, that's my whole apartment. 55" is far too big for the space which is at a premium.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

Japan has begun broadcasting 8K programming with a 7,680 x 4,320 resolution and 22.2-channel surround sound.
Sony, Panasonic collaborate on 8K TVs; Sony says they will ship a consumer product in 2020:
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Lost-market-share-prompts-Sony-Panasonic-TV-tech-alliance

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rastor posted:

Sony, Panasonic collaborate on 8K TVs; Sony says they will ship a consumer product in 2020:
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Lost-market-share-prompts-Sony-Panasonic-TV-tech-alliance

What's the usage case like on this? I'd be interested in a 4K projector + a nice 100-120" screen, but I don't see more resolution doing much for 50-70" TVs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the usage case like on this? I'd be interested in a 4K projector + a nice 100-120" screen, but I don't see more resolution doing much for 50-70" TVs.

The use case is advertising for Japan's hosting of the 2020 Olympic Games.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's mainly for ridiculously sized screens. They even did the 2012 Olympics in 8K and it was supposed to be like looking through a window. You have issues where your focus has to be so goddamned precise though, like watch an episode of Friends in HD and you'll see a bunch of missed focus because they were shooting for SD and it looked fine at that res/size.

I can't see it going beyond 4K in the West for traditional broadcasting. Getting 4K broadcast with a good efficient codec for finally great PQ on cable and satellite should be the priority.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I just recently started reading this thread and looking into information about buying a TV. Am I mostly correct in saying that the best way to decide what TV to get is to first decide my price point, then pick between the brands? I'm thinking that I won't go over $2k and would ideally spend closer to $1k. I'm kind of attached to the idea of OLED though so that limits my options a bit.

I like the reviews for the Vizio P65-C1 but it's at the tip of my budget. I was also thinking about the LG 55EG9100 because it's cheaper and has a much prettier design. The one thing that I've heard most consistently from people who spend a lot of money on TVs is that, after making the purchase, they always wish they had gone bigger.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations? Also, where is a good place to buy from?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Animale posted:

I live in 450 Sq ft, that's my whole apartment. 55" is far too big for the space which is at a premium.

That's fine, I don't understand the chart you linked though. It disagrees with you. The reality of the room is one thing and totally determines everything, but what's the point of the chart then?

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I just recently started reading this thread and looking into information about buying a TV. Am I mostly correct in saying that the best way to decide what TV to get is to first decide my price point, then pick between the brands? I'm thinking that I won't go over $2k and would ideally spend closer to $1k. I'm kind of attached to the idea of OLED though so that limits my options a bit.

I like the reviews for the Vizio P65-C1 but it's at the tip of my budget. I was also thinking about the LG 55EG9100 because it's cheaper and has a much prettier design. The one thing that I've heard most consistently from people who spend a lot of money on TVs is that, after making the purchase, they always wish they had gone bigger.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations? Also, where is a good place to buy from?

How far away are you sitting? Can you do 65"? If not, 55" OLED seems like the easy choice.

Cleveland Plasma is the choice of AVSForum to get cheapest OLED prices. Micro center has a good deal this week but they don't stock very many.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roku and the C6 don't seem to be playing nice together. Roku is passing full range RGB instead of RGB limited or YCbCr which results in serious black crush on the TV. I didn't have this issue with my W900A, so they must not be negotiating properly somehow. If i set the black level to High instead of the default of Low on the TV, it fixes things obviously. But that's not optimal since everything is going to one input.

Now, if Roku would get their heads out of their rear end and let you adjust the range, this wouldn't be an issue. But they don't.

Fortunatly for me, I'm running through a receiver that allows me to make adjustments. So I can boost the brightness and pull down the contrast on just the input the Roku is on to mitigate the problem. But that's something to be aware of if you can't do that.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm looking to buy my first TV and it looks like the best option for what I want is the Vizio D 50 inch.

Looking for under $1000 Canadian (you can check out costco.ca, bestbuy.ca or amazon.ca for what's available around that price).

Going to be using it mostly for playing things off Youtube, Plex, Netflix, some OTA TV (SD and HD) and playing some games off my PC. Viewing distance is about 5.5 feet.

It seems like the 2016 Vizio D50 is what I want (and rtings especially seems to like it over everything else under $1000 CAD), the only issue I have is choosing between the 1080p version and the 4k version. The difference is $150 on Costco but I'm not going to be getting a 4k Blu-ray player and watch a lot of 4k blu-rays, and I might just play PC games in 1080p on it (or I might get a GTX 1070 and do 4k on medium settings). Is the $150 worth it to get the 4k version over the 1080p version? rtings.com says the 4k version is a bit better (even though the individual measurements for the 1080p slightly win, but I'm guessing variations between panels in random samples of the TVs would just account for that) but I'm not sure I'm convinced.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At 50" it's probably not worth it to get 4K.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've got a 7 or 8 year old LCD TV. Lately I've noticed that there is a visible ring around the edges that is lighter than the rest of the image. it's especially noticable when I'm watching something dark. Images also burn into the screen incredibly fast. I'm guessing it's safe to say the TV is on it's way out?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Well it's not gonna get better

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Amazon has the 2015 55" Curved LG OLED for $1099 today.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electroni...M5M7Q4FSA2QP5XR

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

BonoMan posted:

Amazon has the 2015 55" Curved LG OLED for $1099 today.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electroni...M5M7Q4FSA2QP5XR

I don't care about 4K or 3D. Do I want this TV? Am I going to do any better for this price by the holidays?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

I don't care about 4K or 3D. Do I want this TV? Am I going to do any better for this price by the holidays?

It's the lowest price ever. How the hell would anyone know that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're on closeout, so you probably won't do a whole lot better. Maybe another $100.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

sellouts posted:

It's the lowest price ever. How the hell would anyone know that?

I don't mean for this model, more LG OLEDs in this range, it seems like a pretty good deal but I haven't been following TVs very closely for the last few years.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's the lowest price ever for an OLED. And it's a 2015 model, which has to be limited supplies.

No one knows. The 4k sure as hell won't be cheaper.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This TV is pretty much ruined me for watching recordings off of DVR. It's like a last resort now. The streaming apps provide like 5x better quality. I'm not just talking about the internal ones.

For example. I watched my recording of Friday's Killjoys. Fine texture detail was terrible. Skin tones were muddy. All around, the poo poo was just compressed out of it.

Fire up the syfy now app on Roku. Holy poo poo, it's a revelation. I can actually see some grain rather than waxy mess. It's nearly like going from SD to HD.

I'm gonna have to pull some recordings off my tivo and play them with my SHIELD just to make sure it's the source rather than the Tivo, but I'm pretty drat sure it's the source.

I really hate commercials though. So I have that lovely choice to make. High quality with commercials or lower quality without.

poo poo like this is what's ultimately going to make me cut the cord. I can get higher quality by buying episodes than dealing with overcompressed cable poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've done some similar comparisons with Mr Robot because it's such a dark show, and noise looooves to hide in the darkness. Some versions just aren't watchable.

I've also found the USA on demand that I pull from my X1 cable box seemingly gives me the best quality compared to the DVR (not sure how much compression involved) as well as Amazon's web versions.

Netflix 4K on the TV embedded player is generally my favorite way of watching TV right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The USA Roku App blows away my recordings for Mr. Robot (haven't really started watching season 2 yet so I'm getting myself setup to marathon. Just did some sampling.) It LOOKS like they only do 3 commercial breaks in the app so it may be tolerable. I'm very tempted just to drop the $25 to get the HDX copies on Vudu though.

Syfy stuff seems to have a ton more commercials, so harder choice there.

I have FiOS and a Tivo Bolt. So, in theory I have about the pinnacle of cable quality. However, even Verizon is bitrate starving. Worse yet, they're transcoding MPEG4 native channels back to MPEG2 in a lot of cases.

I'm really just amazed how night and day the difference is though. I only went up 10 inches and this is all just HD quality stuff, but I never noticed the difference as greatly on my W900A.

Some channels aren't so bad though. FX actually looks pretty decent most of the time. I figure that since it's 720p, the lower bitrate doesn't hurt it as much.

I mean, it's not like the cable content is unwatchable. It still generally looks really good. But when you compare it to what the content COULD look like, you can easily spot the difference.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello tv people, how is the recording if it's :filez:

I don't live in the USA so I'm wondering about the quality. And can you use a high quality capture card for Netflix?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bull: Out of curiosity, I know you're very much into doing motion properly so was wondering if I could pick your brain about this one. I came from a 24p capable plasma and a 24p bluray player and HTPC and I felt I nailed my motion stuff on that setup. I know the OLED probably doesn't have as good motion resolution as that (although maybe it does as the g20 is about 6 years old as screen tech goes). We have slightly different sets as I have last years ef9500 but I believe they should be close enough for this. I'm running latest firmware as I know it shipped with motion stuff broken.

Anyway my test disc is It Follows as there's a 360 pan that really showed off the fact that something is wrong. I've gone through every combination I could think of:

24p output on the player on/off
Real Cinema on/off on the LG
True Motion user settings (mainly the 'set de-blur to 0 and de-judder to 8-10) that gets banded around.

Everything looks plain bad, there's so much nasty shimmering it looks like it's taking an interlaced source and getting confused on what order to display the fields. It's quite painful and not something you can watch without trying to fix it.

Annoyingly, if I set Truemotion to Smooth or Clear the pan looks fantastic; but it brings into the game the dreaded soap opera effect which I just don't want.

Stupidly I deleted my digital copy of the film just last night as I'd replaced it with the disc, or I'd try streaming it via the Apple TV through Plex to see if I get the same issue.

Not sure if it's a disc thing or a settings thing that I haven't quite nailed the combo for.

The TV looks so drat good at times I find myself constantly tweaking in the menus to try and get the most of it. I still haven't decided what looks best between low and high OLED lamp usage, but I like that you can truly tune each input independently. At some point I'll probably get a calibration done and leave it at that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've personally found anything TruMotion related to be utterly useless and I just turn it off. Dejudder on even 1 gives me SOE and I haven't been able to see a benefit of deblur other than introducing motion artifacts.

I've played around with a ton of stuff and I always come back to

1) Feed the TV the source format
2) Turn everything other than RealCinema off

I have my Tivo Bolt set to just pass through the source. I found that the 4k output for the tivo was mostly ok, but it's just a little bit smoother passing the source native and letting the TV handle it.

My reciever wrecked things completely. I have an AVR-X2200W and it's only capable of upscaling to 4kp30 which gave the TV fits as far as motion goes.

For blu-ray, I just pass 1080p24 to the TV and it's been fine on most stuff I tried. It's possible there's something the way that disc is mastered that's causing issues or maybe it's giving your player a bit of trouble for some reason. I still don't think pans are quite as smooth as they were on my W900A, but it may be a trick of the size or the instant pixel response. But they are pretty good and film-like.

Speaking of which, that's one thing that really stuck me when going to see The Hateful 8 70mm roadshow. It's been years since I've seen film, actual film, projected. There's just a shitton more flicker and judder than I remember.

One other thing I've done that I've seen others suggest is turn off the screen shift. These things really don't suffer from persistent IR (especially if not gaming) and some have indicated that they've noticed the function introduce motion artifacts before.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Any particular reason why I should avoid this TV if I'm just looking for a decently cheap bedroom TV for PS3 and Netflix?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-s...1&skuId=4858701