Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

RabidWeasel posted:

Even the more benign ones actively reduce your income by making you do the wrong curio interactions, so cleansing them makes sense from a pure financial perspective if you're going to use that character more than once or twice.

EXACTLY.

Genocyber posted:

Really? The negative results for just regularly interacting with most things are pretty minor. Better than a reduction to a crucial stat or something.

Besides the above, I've had more than one hero go nutso or deny access to buffs/healing/needed supplies because they decided to jump the gun. Even better when they interact with some books and get another Curio quirk for their trouble.

With few exceptions I'll take stat reductions any day of the week versus Curio quirks.

Hell, one hero DIED because he was nearly dead, interacted with a curio that got him blight, and I didn't have an antivenom/had ran out of food (not a good run) on me at the time.

Seriously, gently caress those quirks.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Week 32: I lost Dismas and Reynald on the same day.

Dismas to the Swine King....

Reynald to Wilbur :aaa:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Gridlocked posted:

Week 32: I lost Dismas and Reynald on the same day.

Dismas to the Swine King....

Reynald to Wilbur :aaa:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
All I can say about this LP is that I wish it updated more often, because otherwise I'm going to end up buying this for myself. :allears: It looks like good fun, though the inability to save-scum and the need to juggle so many things always worries me.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Yep got that. All his abilities doing 1 damage is bullshit. How does waving flags at my doods cause them to die?

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I'm playing this also, but I'm a little afraid of trying to kill other bosses. Are many of them bullshit that will wipe you unless you have the perfect party, or can you usually still get through?

I encountered the necromancer without any blight or even a crusader, but I still killed him, but my whole party was very stressed out and one of them got over 100.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In my experience you need at least one good healer, probably backed up by a secundary, high damage dealers and the ability to damage most/all ranks. A vestal or occultist with healing-boosting trinkets backed up with an arbalest for example for healing, and then damage dealers that between them reach every rank - eg hellions or gravediggers for veratiliy, men-at-arms, lepers or crusaders for the enemy front rows.

Keep in mind that it's likely that you'll get stressed out - which is fine, you can use the funds to heal them at the bar.

Also as mentioned in the lp; all of the bosses are in medium/large dungeons at the longest distance from your starting point, so knowing that you can use the camping skills to buff party defenses/attacks just before the bossfight.

If all else fails, hire 4 rookies and throw them into the meatgrinder as a scouting party. If they succeed great, if not you'll know what awaits you when you send in your valuable party.

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 24, 2016

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

All I can say about this LP is that I wish it updated more often, because otherwise I'm going to end up buying this for myself. :allears: It looks like good fun, though the inability to save-scum and the need to juggle so many things always worries me.

The inability to save-scum and the need to juggle stuff is the entire point! You don't game over or anything when your party wipes, and heroes are more or less perfectly replaceable - the only things you lose when they die are the XP and gold that went into getting them to where they are. (And their trinkets, if it's a total wipe. Else you get to keep those as well.)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Eeeeeeh, I got dismas killed twice now and yet he lives. There is a way to beat the system but if it weren't for a particular achievement I wouldn't care about party members dying.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

double nine posted:

Eeeeeeh, I got dismas killed twice now and yet he lives. There is a way to beat the system but if it weren't for a particular achievement I wouldn't care about party members dying.

Now you got me curious.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

Now you got me curious.

It's not very difficult. Alt-F4 quickly enough and you reload before the combat round. It's chicken tactics I know but I've restarted like 7 times now and I'm getting that drat achievement. Lightning reflexes required though.

Presumably you could hunt down where on the hard drive save files get stored and do a back-up before any dungeon crawl but :effort:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sjonkel posted:

I'm playing this also, but I'm a little afraid of trying to kill other bosses. Are many of them bullshit that will wipe you unless you have the perfect party, or can you usually still get through?

I encountered the necromancer without any blight or even a crusader, but I still killed him, but my whole party was very stressed out and one of them got over 100.

One of the things I love about the boss design in this game is that, later bosses being tougher palette swaps of the earlier ones, you only go into a boss fight completely unawares once. And the first tier of bosses is overall pretty generous, such that you can totally go into them blind with a non-optimal party setup and make it through, although that will likely cost you in some fashion (e.g. high stress, losing one or two members). If you go in with a party kitted to take them down, then barring extremely poor dice rolls, they fall incredibly easily. Later tiers are much trickier, but the general way the fights work remains the same, so you can use what you learned in your first encounter to shore up your chances.

To be extra safe when fighting against an unknown boss, bring the "standard" party of tough melee person, tough ranged person, healer, and then something to complement that (ideally another powerful source of damage; I like the Grave Robber in that case cause she's good up close and at range).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Also DON'T do stress healing during a boss fight. Get it killed and kill it quickly. Stress healing can come later.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

double nine posted:

It's not very difficult. Alt-F4 quickly enough and you reload before the combat round. It's chicken tactics I know but I've restarted like 7 times now and I'm getting that drat achievement. Lightning reflexes required though.

Presumably you could hunt down where on the hard drive save files get stored and do a back-up before any dungeon crawl but :effort:

I have a dozen backed up files in my saves folder, mainly from trying bizarre party setups after beating the game.

Nobody can know how disgustingly good Man-At-Arms / Houndmaster / Houndmaster / Hellion is.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
The only thing darkest dungeon expects you to do is pay attention. Apprentice dungeons and bosses can be brute forced with just about anything, and the penalties for failure are extremely minor. They exist to introduce you to enemy behaviors, and you're expected to use the information you gain as you move forward. By the time you hit champion the game is essentially a puzzle, trying to assemble teams to perfectly counter whatever you're getting into.

The game expects you to make mistakes, but it also expects you to learn from them. Which is what makes it so satisfying, if you're the type who gets frustrated with games that reward you for just showing up, or expect you to do extensive research outside the game to get anywhere.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I always see it like this:
Apprentice: Learn party composition
Veteran: Optimize
Champion: Cheese

while experience and attention will allow you to vastly reduce casualties in the game, sometimes it does throw you a concrete sonic curveball that is pretty much impossible to deal with.

And there's no party composition that guarantees success in some of those champion dungeons.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are champion dungeons easier than the Darkest dungeons?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

double nine posted:

The eponymous Darkest Dungeon plays a fair bit differently than all of the regular ones, as I'm sure we'll see when this LP gets there in a few years. But yes, I would say Champion dungeons are easier.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

double nine posted:

Champion dungeons are significantly easier to cheese, in my opinion. I can't explain why in depth right now, though

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Champion dungeons are indeed easier because they expect you to be lvl 6 for any "Darkest" tier encounters, while Champion is 4-6 since they want you to use those for leveling.

Also cutting off this discussion at the head. Getting a little close to spoilers here.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Is there an achievement for keeping Dismas around? Cause not only is he around, he's one of my star players thanks to good quirks, accessory drops, and skill combinations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Is there an achievement for keeping Dismas around? Cause not only is he around, he's one of my star players thanks to good quirks, accessory drops, and skill combinations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Yeah I was going for this.

I am very very pissed off I lost my 2nd best Highwayman and my best Crusader after spending about 5k each just to remove lovely perks.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Do they need to just be alive, or go on the trip? Because I have the two, but Highwayman and Crusader aren't my favorite two classes.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh neat, I put a ton of time into this game but just sort of petered out around the time I took out the second forms of the bosses. As for my classes, let's say... Occultist, Plague Doctor or Arbalest, I like mechanically unusual classes.

Not sure why I chose two female classes but there you go. :shrug:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Really now, fellas, unless you're in critical condition back in town and you MUST haul in a bounty with your current run, flee when you bite off too much. That includes encountering bosses for the first time. If you figure out what to do but don't have the party/skills for it, run like little babies and come back better prepared. I'm not going to finish exploring a dungeon if I'm down a man or everyone is constantly one hit away from Death's Door.

I wish my tabletop rpg players would ever learn that lesson.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Do they need to just be alive, or go on the trip? Because I have the two, but Highwayman and Crusader aren't my favorite two classes.

They actually have to take part in the trip.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I hope Highwang tries an Antiquarian/Antiquarian/Highwayman/Highwayman comp eventually. Every single enemy attack triggering a riposte, and the extra dodge+prot making them extra resilient. It's hilarious, though it doesn't work well in later levels due to stress.

Also, I implore you to reconsider Jester's Finale skill. Put him in the front row with some speed trinket. Let the first attack be Finale and then just buff. At Beginner without damage trinkets and Veteran with one or two, Finale basically deletes an enemy in the first turn, and since it hits row 1-3, you'll often be able to hit a stress dealer with it.

A level 2 jester without any damage trinkets is often hitting for 25 on finale for me, with disgusting 40-ish damage crits. It's really reliable, and in my mind if the Jester kills one enemy in a battle then he probably did way more than he needs to.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Halser posted:

I hope Highwang tries an Antiquarian/Antiquarian/Highwayman/Highwayman comp eventually. Every single enemy attack triggering a riposte, and the extra dodge+prot making them extra resilient. It's hilarious, though it doesn't work well in later levels due to stress.

Also, I implore you to reconsider Jester's Finale skill. Put him in the front row with some speed trinket. Let the first attack be Finale and then just buff. At Beginner without damage trinkets and Veteran with one or two, Finale basically deletes an enemy in the first turn, and since it hits row 1-3, you'll often be able to hit a stress dealer with it.

One of my favorite teams is Antiquarian/Occultist/Highwayman/Man-at-arms. Alternatively Vestal/Antiquarian/Highwayman/Man-at-arms

I call it team stop hitting yourself, it's great for taking out quite a few bosses. As for stress, I've managed to clear out a few dark dungeons with that team using just camp stress healing. :shrug:

And I agree on Finale, if you stack damage and speed on the Jester you can REALLY mess up an enemy on the first turn. Alternatively to buffing - use a medical herb and keep killing (or solo THEN use Finale again).

Also, never take this team against Wilbur and co. Barely came out alive of that one (Note: Retaliation attacks don't proc enemy retaliation attacks, but Wilbur dying first is still an issue) :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 25, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

mauman posted:

As for stress, I've managed to clear out a few dark dungeons with that team using just camp stress healing. :shrug:

what dungeon, though? In my experience Ruins/Weald are the hardest in terms of stress dealing if you're facetanking(as opposed to dodge tanking) without a stress healer.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Halser posted:

what dungeon, though? In my experience Ruins/Weald are the hardest in terms of stress dealing if you're facetanking(as opposed to dodge tanking) without a stress healer.

By Dark dungeons I meant Darkest dungeons.

But I've taken that team in all the other dungeons as well. I just make it a point to take out Stress damagers first. I also heavily favor speed trinkets/quirks so that I can go first.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

mauman posted:

By Dark dungeons I meant Darkest dungeons.

But I've taken that team in all the other dungeons as well. I just make it a point to take out Stress damagers first. I also heavily favor speed trinkets/quirks so that I can go first.

Well, I have very poor luck with rush strategies in champion/dark dungeons so I tend to take things very safely and slowly in those, and that usually means I need a way to avoid or heal stress.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New update! Episode 9: Politics

bit late on the update sorry. Also I'd love to see "House Wang" and "House Chitlin" propaganda posters if any artists/photoshoppers are interested.

Also, a bit torn on what info-post I am gonna do next: should I discuss Quirks and Afflictions or do a write-up on The Cove. Or let me know what you guys want. Either way, kinda need a direction to write in.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 26, 2016

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013
I'd say do the locations first, could make it easier to follow the lp. Quirks/afflictions are easy enough to understand at this point in the game. Go in-depth on those when they become more of a hindrance.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Dangit, Highwang! 'Liberal' and 'Libertarian' are not the same thing!

Also, are you, like, allergic to Rake or something? When you already had a 25% damage buff on your Abomination, it would have taken one Rake to be doing 100% damage to both frontrow targets and would have cleared corpses beautifully to boot.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Highwang moused over it a bit in the Nomad Wagon, but the Cudgel for the Houndmaster is an amazing item since it gives a 40% boost to stuns. If you grab that early on, the stun is an auto succeed against almost any enemy. That gives you some leeway against some of the nastier enemies out there.

Edit: Also go over the Cove first. The quirks can be done later.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ah, hubris

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FYI, the voice actor of the Ancestor is Wayne June and he's done other stuff - among others audiobooks for the Call of Cthulhu. Sample: http://www.waynejune.com/MP3/WJune_Lovecraft01.mp3

Sounds suitably demonic though there is a bit of audio clipping or whatever it's called when the audio cuts off a little.

http://www.waynejune.com/

also vestals are a crutch and should be replaced with occultists whenever given a chance. Seriously at least they have good debuffs and decent damage against eldrich.

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 26, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
2 hitpoints more wouldn't have made a difference, but why did you throw away those two rations in the corridor before the last fight? You can use them from the treasure screen to heal up your adventurers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm starting to cringe whenever you heal instead of doing damage eg with the abomination. There is no reward for keeping them topped up.

• Locked thread