Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I got something similar for my home computer and it activated with no issues.

However:
It's super grey market stuff so using the key on professional workstations is a Bad Idea.
If Microsoft for some reason revokes the key or block of keys, don't expect to have any recourse or refund available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Before you buy that, I've been hearing that the free upgrade may still work. Has that been confirmed to be shut down yet?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
It seems like the free upgrade does still work. I'm just not entirely sure that I would be able to migrate the OS to a new machine like that. I am planning on using my existing HDD in the new computer, but I'm also buying an SSD and would like to have the OS load from that. Also I've heard that the OS is tied to the original motherboard.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Last Chance posted:

For anyone else you live with that has to hear it on the other hand..

There are non-clicky ones. :ssh:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

marauderthirty posted:

I asked in the PC building thread about this, but didn't get an answer. Does anybody have any experience with this, or is there any reason to believe this isn't legit? I know Play Asia is where a lot of people import game, and it says it's region free, so I'm not sure why I should pay 4x as much elsewhere:

http://www.play-asia.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-3264-bit-oem-key-dl/13/709747?ad=111828625688&gclid=COGglvuk2M4CFUYbgQodGiwM6Q

I haven't bought from that specific vendor, but yes in general those super-cheap OEM keys are 'legit' in the sense that MS have never tried to prevent grey-market keys from activating. Yet.
I can only say that I bought one for about $30 for a family member who'd pulled their sticker off their case and it's been working since Feb, activated normally.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I don't want windows 10 to ever restart unless I click on the button that says "restart." And I don't have gpedit.

At this point I feel like the only way to get what I want is
-At 1:00 AM, automatically set my windows update "active hours" from 1 AM-1 PM
-At 1:00 PM, automatically set my "active hours" from 1 PM-1 AM

Is there a simple way to do this?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

marauderthirty posted:

It seems like the free upgrade does still work. I'm just not entirely sure that I would be able to migrate the OS to a new machine like that. I am planning on using my existing HDD in the new computer, but I'm also buying an SSD and would like to have the OS load from that. Also I've heard that the OS is tied to the original motherboard.

The free upgrade is added as a digital license to your Microsoft account, so as long as you use one of those to log in to your PC then you can presumably remove your old PC from the license then activate on the new one.

I know I have the digital license but I am only assuming you can transfer it between machines in that manner as I haven't done it myself yet, so you might want to confirm that before committing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PaulC posted:

I don't want windows 10 to ever restart unless I click on the button that says "restart." And I don't have gpedit.

At this point I feel like the only way to get what I want is
-At 1:00 AM, automatically set my windows update "active hours" from 1 AM-1 PM
-At 1:00 PM, automatically set my "active hours" from 1 PM-1 AM

Is there a simple way to do this?

Click "restart" more often.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

astral posted:

Click "restart" more often.

Not sure how that would have prevented the PC from checking for updates at 4 AM, finding some, and then instantly restarting my computer in the middle of a download. But thanks for your contribution

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Just shut down the update services and disable the scheduled tasks until you are ready to update.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PaulC posted:

Not sure how that would have prevented the PC from checking for updates at 4 AM, finding some, and then instantly restarting my computer in the middle of a download. But thanks for your contribution

You're very welcome! If you want a more complicated fix, a quick internet search comes up with some tweaks you can try with scheduled tasks & relevant files: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-permanently-stop-windows-10-reboots-after-installing-updates/ :)

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

A good poster posted:

Before you buy that, I've been hearing that the free upgrade may still work. Has that been confirmed to be shut down yet?

Can confirm still working as of yesterday PM.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So out of nowhere I got a "thanks for signing up to Microsoft OneNote" email.

I didn't do poo poo. Let me guess, this is Microsoft being "helpful" in hawking their utterly useless garbage?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
OneNote is actually pretty good.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hooah posted:

OneNote is actually pretty good.

I don't like getting "THANKS FOR SIGNING UP" emails out of nowhere, and I don't like OneNote, because it's doing a job done better by other services that aren't connected to the Windows 10 Clusterfuck. I want to use OneNote about as much as I want to buy a Kin.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, good for you, but that program, at least, is pretty well-regarded in he note taking space. I agree that getting an email out of the blue is annoying, though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hooah posted:

Well, good for you, but that program, at least, is pretty well-regarded in he note taking space. I agree that getting an email out of the blue is annoying, though.

I described it as "utterly useless garbage", which describes very well how useful it is to me. The "note taking space" can be of many opinions, but anyone willingly using OneNote gets a big-rear end "bitcoiner" label appended to their contact info.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

endlessmonotony posted:

I described it as "utterly useless garbage", which describes very well how useful it is to me. The "note taking space" can be of many opinions, but anyone willingly using OneNote gets a big-rear end "bitcoiner" label appended to their contact info.

Look, just because it's "utterly useless garbage" for you doesn't mean it's so for everyone in the entire world. I used it to take notes for school, and had almost no problems with it. Certainly fewer than I had with Evernote before that.

For my own question:
I recently reset my desktop, and now it doesn't seem to want to go to sleep (or perhaps go back to sleep after some scheduled activity) on its own. I tested out setting the sleep timer to 1 minute and it worked fine, but I come home from work every day to find notifications from all the texts I've been involved with that day and whatever else may have happened. What could be going on?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hooah posted:

Look, just because it's "utterly useless garbage" for you doesn't mean it's so for everyone in the entire world. I used it to take notes for school, and had almost no problems with it. Certainly fewer than I had with Evernote before that.

I use "bitcoiner" as shorthand for "has some very unusual views about technology; do not trust".

Because Windows 10 has been a real clusterfuck even by Microsoft standards because they just can't stop forcing unwanted garbage on people and this time they're doing it as a rolling release instead of a few things I can uninstall on OS install and it's beyond annoying.

Using a Microsoft service voluntarily after Windows 10 and knowing Microsoft's policy on keeping services accessible and functional gets you a label of "I don't know what this dude is smoking but I want absolutely none of it".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

I use "bitcoiner" as shorthand for "has some very unusual views about technology; do not trust".

Because Windows 10 has been a real clusterfuck even by Microsoft standards because they just can't stop forcing unwanted garbage on people and this time they're doing it as a rolling release instead of a few things I can uninstall on OS install and it's beyond annoying.

Using a Microsoft service voluntarily after Windows 10 and knowing Microsoft's policy on keeping services accessible and functional gets you a label of "I don't know what this dude is smoking but I want absolutely none of it".

I like you and I would like to voluntarily sign up for your email newsletter

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

endlessmonotony posted:

What, exactly, is an unusual view about technology embodied in using an application that comes with the OS and was popular for years before it was free? That poo poo is like getting angry people use the built in media player to listen to mp3s or something.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yeah I dunno man I don't use OneNote that much but I occasionally use it for notes on the ipad pro... it seems pretty ok? It seems fine. Generating a viewpoint on a person based on using onenote is super weird.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

What, exactly, is an unusual view about technology embodied in using an application that comes with the OS and was popular for years before it was free? That poo poo is like getting angry people use the built in media player to listen to mp3s or something.

I'm not getting angry at him for using OneNote; I'm angry at Microsoft for interrupting me and forcing me to check if my account had been compromised out of nowhere.

Microsoft has an usability experience I'd describe as "fishmechian" with their allergy to consistency, and services they feel like replacing have a lifespan of a mayfly in a housefire. I don't learn how to use work applications as a recreational activity, so unless compatibility issues with some organization's systems force me to, the Microsoft services are useless, and anyone who doesn't agree gets viewed as a potential Computer Masochist and thus as someone that probably isn't worth my time.

Is that first impression guaranteed to be correct? Nah. Will I ever take the time to verify its accuracy? Nope.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm not getting angry at him for using OneNote; I'm angry at Microsoft for interrupting me and forcing me to check if my account had been compromised out of nowhere.

You've got some paranoia issues if the first thing you think when you get a message about a product you started using is "I'VE BEEN HACKED".

endlessmonotony posted:

Microsoft has an usability experience I'd describe as "fishmechian" with their allergy to consistency, and services they feel like replacing have a lifespan of a mayfly in a housefire. I don't learn how to use work applications as a recreational activity, so unless compatibility issues with some organization's systems force me to, the Microsoft services are useless, and anyone who doesn't agree gets viewed as a potential Computer Masochist and thus as someone that probably isn't worth my time.

OneNote has been around for 13 goddamn years and the interface is so simple my 6 year old cousin uses it for her drawings of princesses and whatever. The interface also hasn't had really major changes since like the release that came with Office 2007.

Your complaints about it are frankly absurd.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi,

I'm sorry if it's been asked before but is there a way to bring back old (Win 7) desktop gadgets? I have recently upgraded to Win 10 and miss my clocks, calendar, stock price tracker, RSS feed headers and various hardware monitors (CPU and GPU load/temperature, network use, etc.)

Thanks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

You've got some paranoia issues if the first thing you think when you get a message about a product you started using is "I'VE BEEN HACKED".

OneNote has been around for 13 goddamn years and the interface is so simple my 6 year old cousin uses it for her drawings of princesses and whatever. The interface also hasn't had really major changes since like the release that came with Office 2007.

Your complaints about it are frankly absurd.

I dunno, when I get a message with "Welcome to [SERVICE]", I generally assume someone's input my info to sign into a service, as opposed to it just being spam from Microsoft. Checking my logins takes a few minutes, so I do that, and then I get angry at Microsoft sending me spam.

And with your track record of backing winning horses, you liking OneNote makes me even more suspicious of it than I was before.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I recently reset my desktop, and now it doesn't seem to want to go to sleep (or perhaps go back to sleep after some scheduled activity) on its own. I tested out setting the sleep timer to 1 minute and it worked fine, but I come home from work every day to find notifications from all the texts I've been involved with that day and whatever else may have happened. What could be going on?

I just hit the power button (set to put the computer to sleep), and not five minutes later it woke itself back up. powercfg -lastwake just says the power button was the reason for the most recent wake. What the hell is going on?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

endlessmonotony posted:

I dunno, when I get a message with "Welcome to [SERVICE]", I generally assume someone's input my info to sign into a service, as opposed to it just being spam from Microsoft. Checking my logins takes a few minutes, so I do that, and then I get angry at Microsoft sending me spam.

And with your track record of backing winning horses, you liking OneNote makes me even more suspicious of it than I was before.

So your assumptions are ludicrous and paranoid, as I said. You weren't spammed, you just received confirmation the service was properly set up, it's standard practice.

Ah so you're one of those people who believes Microsoft is collapsing any day now just like it has been for the past 20 years. :laugh:

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

I'm sorry if it's been asked before but is there a way to bring back old (Win 7) desktop gadgets? I have recently upgraded to Win 10 and miss my clocks, calendar, stock price tracker, RSS feed headers and various hardware monitors (CPU and GPU load/temperature, network use, etc.)

Thanks.

You'll have to get standalone applications for that, or maybe use live tiles if you don't mind seeing that information in your start menu. The required framework got stripped out in Windows 8 and stopped being supported on Windows 7 about the same time 8 was coming out, due to security flaws they didn't want to bother with fixing.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

endlessmonotony posted:

Lol, what?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

Thanks.

It's Microsoft. They've got a new thing, you WILL LOVE THE NEW THING.

So, no.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

So your assumptions are ludicrous and paranoid, as I said. You weren't spammed, you just received confirmation the service was properly set up, it's standard practice.

Ah so you're one of those people who believes Microsoft is collapsing any day now just like it has been for the past 20 years. :laugh:

I didn't request for the service to be set up. If I had to wager a guess, it did so automatically with the anniversary update.

And I don't think Microsoft is collapsing, I just think they have a lovely track record of supporting things they've found unprofitable / competing with their NEW THINGS.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

Thanks.

it turns out they were actually huge security holes for some reason (like unrestricted kernel access bad iirc) so they got pulled fom 8 and haven't come back. i think i managed to get one to stick through an upgrade, but i uninstalled it because i never used it so i don't know if there's a way to get them back.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

endlessmonotony posted:

I didn't request for the service to be set up. If I had to wager a guess, it did so automatically with the anniversary update.

And I don't think Microsoft is collapsing, I just think they have a lovely track record of supporting things they've found unprofitable / competing with their NEW THINGS.

Yeah they've been so lovely at supporting OneNote that it's only been around for 13 years, what's up with that?

Also you did request for it to be set up, because you opened OneNote and used it. It doesn't send out any messages if you don't open it and get through the intro, and create and save your first note.

Captain Novolin posted:

it turns out they were actually huge security holes for some reason (like unrestricted kernel access bad iirc) so they got pulled fom 8 and haven't come back. i think i managed to get one to stick through an upgrade, but i uninstalled it because i never used it so i don't know if there's a way to get them back.

There was some shady Russian software author who had his own framework to hack it back in to 8, but I wouldn't really trust him. And yes, the gadgets had very deep access to your system by default, which allowed things like the CPU monitors to work - Microsoft didn't have any way to make those secure without breaking a lot of the ones people found very useful.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 25, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

Yeah they've been so lovely at supporting OneNote that it's only been around for 13 years, what's up with that?

Also you did request for it to be set up, because you opened OneNote and used it. It doesn't send out any messages if you don't open it and get through the intro, and create and save your first note.

I didn't do any of that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

endlessmonotony posted:

but anyone willingly using OneNote gets a big-rear end "bitcoiner" label appended to their contact info.

This is an incredibly dumb thing and I'm at an utter loss as to how you actually conflate these two things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

endlessmonotony posted:

I didn't do any of that.

Yes you did, because you have the message. They only send out the message when you first use OneNote on a new Microsoft account and create a note and save it - I just tested this with one of my other accounts that never used OneNote before.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

Yes you did, because you have the message. They only send out the message when you first use OneNote on a new Microsoft account and create a note and save it - I just tested this with one of my other accounts that never used OneNote before.

Guess fishmech is wrong. What a surprise.

I mean that's why I checked if my account was compromised, but nope.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

endlessmonotony posted:

Guess fishmech is wrong. What a surprise.

I mean that's why I checked if my account was compromised, but nope.

You were already whining about how you hate the interface and people who use it, so we know you used it, beyond the fact you got the email for using it. Try to stop lying dude.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

You were already whining about how you hate the interface and people who use it, so we know you used it, beyond the fact you got the email for using it. Try to stop lying dude.

I got the email, then I got the interface mess in front of my eyes after I checked OneNote. First time I launched it. Then I checked what the hell was going on, got none of the wiser, and posted angrily on SA to rant.

I'm not lying, you're just wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is an incredibly dumb thing and I'm at an utter loss as to how you actually conflate these two things.

Psst, as I said earlier - I don't actually think he's a bitcoiner, bitcoiner's just now a crazy catchall for "weird about technology, avoid".