Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Just sent you my dues Leperflesh.

Also: the rules for Taxi Squads seem fine to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Money sent. I'm working on getting the contact info for Vecna and I'll get him setup here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

So with Taxi squads the player must move from the squad to a STARTING position. Not just on the bench, but a legit point-scoring start?

What if someone just really wants someone from another squad but they arent going to play? Just go for it, the penalty is that they waste a spot in their lineup?

You can move a guy from your own taxi squad to your bench, and that doesn't disqualify them from going back to your own taxi squad.

But if you want to steal someone else's taxi squad player, it can't just be to gently caress with them... you'll have to actually start that player. The intent of this rule in dynasty leagues is to prevent anyone from keeping a useful player on their taxi squad in order to deny everyone else that player even when they're not using him themself. Because taxi squad guys cost you no cap, and don't use up bench slots, so they're "free."

E.g. imagine if someone drafted, say, Carson Wentz this year. He's probably third on the Eagles' depth chart, so he's unlikely to be starting games, at least at the beginning of the season. So you draft him, but you have two good QBs already; he's drafted late in the first round of the rookie/free agent draft, so his salary is set at $16. You stick him on your taxi squad, and now he costs you nothing against your cap.

But then Sam Bradford gets hurt, and Wentz gets a start. He's very mistake-prone, he's still totally raw, no way are you going to start him. But another owner's team has both of his good QBs on IR, he's forced to start Blaine Gabbert or something, Wentz would be a good option for him!

You can't deny him Wentz unless you're willing to actually start Wentz yourself. He can claim Wentz off your rookie squad, but only because he's willing to actually start him in his next matchup.

On the other hand, there's another owner who just hates your guts and wants you to lose and he has Aaron Rodgers. Wentz is looking promising, and that other owner thinks that he might be good enough to be a starter for you next year. So he decides to steal Wentz from you. Well, he can't, becuase he's not willing to start Wentz himself over Aaron Rodgers. You had the foresight to draft Wentz and you get to keep him with no hit to your cap until either you can make use of him, or someone else can.

Note though that if you wanted to prevent Wentz from being stealable, all you had to do was make room on your bench and put him there. You'd have to include his $16 in your cap space, though, and he'd use up a bench slot. You'd have to have the foresight to do this before that first player decides to try and steal Wentz, though: once someone declares they're stealing someone from your taxi squad, you can't prevent it merely by promoting that player to your bench, you'd have to actually start him.

I think this last bit is the one area I'm uneasy about. I think a lot of dynasty leagues let you avoid having a guy be stolen by promoting him to your bench... but they also disallow demoting players from the bench to the taxi squad. That is, you draft straight to taxi squad and then the player becomes ineligible for taxi as soon as he's on any owner's bench. We could do it that way too, but it seems a little more restrictive to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

atomictyler posted:

Money sent. I'm working on getting the contact info for Vecna and I'll get him setup here.

Received and accounted for your dues, thanks! I have also assigned Vecna's email address to Percy Riot, and sent him an invite via the MFL interface.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

On the other hand, there's another owner who just hates your guts and wants you to lose and he has Aaron Rodgers. Wentz is looking promising, and that other owner thinks that he might be good enough to be a starter for you next year. So he decides to steal Wentz from you. Well, he can't, becuase he's not willing to start Wentz himself over Aaron Rodgers. You had the foresight to draft Wentz and you get to keep him with no hit to your cap until either you can make use of him, or someone else can.

What if I want Wentz and I've got 3 other guys on Byes this week so it's a loss for me anyway. I'd have no problem benching Rodgers for Wentz even if Wentz is the third string QB and doesn't see any playing time.

That's my question, I understand the other mechanics.

It's still basically stealing just to be a dick, but it might have merit because if I think Wentz is going to explode and be the next Brady 2 years down the line I just snagged myself a shiny new QB for $16 cap space.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, any situation where you'd be willing to start Wentz is good enough to justify stealing him. Although remember you'd have to find bench and cap space for him, which probably means dropping at least one player.

We don't have to do this stealing thing, but if we do do it, I think there has to be a requirement like that... but I don't want it to be too restrictive, or the stealing thing becomes moot. A rookie who breaks out and becomes generally startable is probably always going to get promoted to at least the owner's bench, which blocks him from being stolen.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I'm fine with how it's laid out, I was trying to find a loophole or way to be a dick and abuse the system.

If we're all good with it then lets do this thing.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh, can Brick Squad and Pretty Garbage remove their little graphics that screw up the layout of the homepage? They screw up the layout (at least for me) on the divisions, records, PF and PA.

Brick's just looks like a blank black square.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Counterpoint, everyone find dumb graphics for your team!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Took me a while to figure out where to upload it (go to the thing that looks like it's for changing your password, and then notice there's links along the top to do other account things.)

Also: upload a sound clip!

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
Greetings sirs!

New SA member and new to dynasty leagues, I have a lot of reading to do. I'll try to keep up! I'll be administering the Balls of Fury team - formerly Percy Riot. My usual nickname is Vecna or some variant but it was taken.

therealVECNAmfers fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 24, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welcome aboard, Vecna!

Take your time to absorb the rules. The immediate things you'll need to do:
-Claim your team, if you haven't already
-Team rosters will be locked on Saturday night, ahead of the rookie/free agent draft on Saturday the 3rd. Be sure to drop any players you want to drop (to make room for rookies/free agents, and/or to get more room below your salary cap) before then. At the moment your total player salary is only $180, though, so you have $70 worth of cap space to draft with which should be plenty. You can also try to trade away/for players instead of dropping them if you want. Any trade deals can include draft picks in this or a future draft... but if you want to trade future draft picks, you (and your trade partner) have to pay the dues for that future year in advance. E.g., to trade 2017 picks, you have to pay your 2017 dues first.
-Keepers also need to be selected by saturday night. Every player you didn't drop is probably a keeper, unless you're about to trade them. At the very top of the MFL page click Reports > Franchise > Keepers. Check all the boxes and then click Select Keepers.
-Bookmark this thread. You can do that with your browser's bookmarks, or, SA has a bookmark feature - click the yellow star in the corner of the first or last post, and visit "User Control Panel" (http://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php) at any time to see all of your bookmarked threads.

I've already received your dues for this year, so you're good there. You'll want to review our rules at your leisure, particularly stuff like scoring, the tournament format, etc. If you want to receive emails at something other than the email you provided for MFL, let me know: otherwise that's how I'll try to contact you e.g. next summer when we're getting ready for another year, or if you're owed a prize, that kind of thing.

On SomethingAwful, we don't sign our posts - if you do that in well-trafficked threads, you might get a probation.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
We are still paying through PayPal right? I remember someone putting a fantasy football comment with their payment causing a ruckus

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard

Leperflesh posted:

Welcome aboard, Vecna!

Take your time to absorb the rules. The immediate things you'll need to do:
-Claim your team, if you haven't already
-Team rosters will be locked on Saturday night, ahead of the rookie/free agent draft on Saturday the 3rd. Be sure to drop any players you want to drop (to make room for rookies/free agents, and/or to get more room below your salary cap) before then. At the moment your total player salary is only $180, though, so you have $70 worth of cap space to draft with which should be plenty. You can also try to trade away/for players instead of dropping them if you want. Any trade deals can include draft picks in this or a future draft... but if you want to trade future draft picks, you (and your trade partner) have to pay the dues for that future year in advance. E.g., to trade 2017 picks, you have to pay your 2017 dues first.
-Keepers also need to be selected by saturday night. Every player you didn't drop is probably a keeper, unless you're about to trade them. At the very top of the MFL page click Reports > Franchise > Keepers. Check all the boxes and then click Select Keepers.
-Bookmark this thread. You can do that with your browser's bookmarks, or, SA has a bookmark feature - click the yellow star in the corner of the first or last post, and visit "User Control Panel" (http://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php) at any time to see all of your bookmarked threads.

I've already received your dues for this year, so you're good there. You'll want to review our rules at your leisure, particularly stuff like scoring, the tournament format, etc. If you want to receive emails at something other than the email you provided for MFL, let me know: otherwise that's how I'll try to contact you e.g. next summer when we're getting ready for another year, or if you're owed a prize, that kind of thing.

On SomethingAwful, we don't sign our posts - if you do that in well-trafficked threads, you might get a probation.

Thanks Leperflesh! Haven't played in a league with defensive players in some time, need to get acclimated with that again. Should have my team setup later today or tomorrow. But yeah.. it's already under cap so that works out nice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Metapod posted:

We are still paying through PayPal right? I remember someone putting a fantasy football comment with their payment causing a ruckus

That did happen, but so far Paypal transactions are going through. Please put something not-remotely-foobally into the comments. One payer has obliquely suggested the money was for party favors, for example. Or you can just put in your username or leave it blank, since I have your paypal email address recorded already.

Paypal employees couldn't possibly be personally reviewing every transaction. They just clearly have keyword searches set up to look for fantasy football words, because in their lawyers' opinion fantasy football = gambling and as a financial institution they have a legal responsibility not to support gambling, or some bullshit like that (they are legally wrong and fantasy football has been explicitly legally identified as "not gambling" - see Daily Fantasy Football).

Regardless of the legal standpoint, Fantasy Football is against their terms of service, so we are bypassing their terms of service. If anyone asks, you guys are giving me money as personal gifts, because we're buddies and I deserve it. And if I happen to send four of you some money in January, it's only because you guys are my buddies and I love you and want you to be happy.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Oh, I did change my team name to Second Round Kickers, if you care Leperflesh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks for the reminder. I've updated the spreadsheet.

I've been receiving payments from some of you. When I get a payment I mark it on the spreadsheet's 2016 Budget tab.

So far, I still need payments from Metapod ($27.92), Stevie Lee ($27.92), Chen Kenichi ($2.92), Hixalot ($27.92), Swarmin Swedes ($7.92), and Bloody ($2.92).

If you're on that list but you think you've paid me, get in touch so we can figure out what went wrong.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
My first round pick (7th overall) is up for trade if anyone is interested. I can package that with a player for a WR if possible. If not I'm also willing to trade for lower picks.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
Sent the $2.92 a couple of minutes ago so should be good to go.

atomictyler posted:

My first round pick (7th overall) is up for trade if anyone is interested. I can package that with a player for a WR if possible. If not I'm also willing to trade for lower picks.

Definitely interested. Sent a not-a-trade to you for some ideas about your interests if any.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Payment sent

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

atomictyler posted:

Interested. Will give you lafell for mariota and 1.07.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixalot posted:

Payment sent

Got it.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the 7th overall pick will have a salary of $18.

Speaking of trades. I think I need to trade away Fletcher Cox. Last year by our scoring as represented on MFL, he was the #6 overall defensive lineman (DE+DT) across 17 games, scoring 180.75 points.

His salary this year is $8, and I'm perilously close to my cap... and by our league rules, suspended players don't get to be on IR. To bring Le'Veon Bell off of IR, I need to clear cap space.

e. Actually I think MFL is allowing suspended players to be on IR? I'm having trouble finding where I can define that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahah, I found it, and yes indeed: right now we have IR set to permit suspended players.

This is our league rules:

quote:

3.2 Rosters will consist of the following: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE), 1 LB, 1DB, 1DL, 1 FLEX (LB/DB/DL), 2 IR slots, and an active bench of 12 slots, for a maximum team size of 25 players.
3.2.1 Players who are designated as Out (officially, by the NFL, as reflected in ESPN's status designations) or on the NFL Injured Reserve list may be placed into one of a team’s two Injured Reserve slots. The software will enforce this restriction.
3.2.2 When a player is no longer Out or on IR, the software does not automatically move them back to your bench. You must do this manually. The software will not permit you to make any other roster moves until you resolve the situation. You may not avoid busting your salary cap by leaving an ineligible player in an IR slot.

So, I'm fixing this now. Surprise! If you think we should get to have suspended guys on IR, speak up and we can do a vote (I'd be in favor of it, but I immediately benefit because of Bell).

This immediately affects me, the Second Round Kickers (Josh Gordon), and the Hawk Hunters (Martavis Bryant).

...how did it work on ESPN? Anyone remember?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 26, 2016

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Obviously I benefit from it, but I would vote for suspended players being able to be on IR.

Not heartbroken regardless which way it goes.

Edit: citing the precedent that the wording says if they're OUT they may be placed on the IR list.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Ahah, I found it, and yes indeed: right now we have IR set to permit suspended players.

This is our league rules:

So, I'm fixing this now. Surprise! If you think we should get to have suspended guys on IR, speak up and we can do a vote (I'd be in favor of it, but I immediately benefit because of Bell).

This immediately affects me, the Second Round Kickers (Josh Gordon), and the Hawk Hunters (Martavis Bryant).

...how did it work on ESPN? Anyone remember?

I believe it works the same way as common feeling is that a player's transgressions should not force you to sacrifice another player to cover them while suspended. I am neutral on the question pretty much so whatever consensus is I am fine with.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Hixalot posted:

Obviously I benefit from it, but I would vote for suspended players being able to be on IR.

Not heartbroken regardless which way it goes.

Edit: citing the precedent that the wording says if they're OUT they may be placed on the IR list.

I benefit as well but it makes sense to me that suspended players can go on IR. I didn't even think that that might not be how it worked to be honest.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I had Greg Hardy, the woman pulper, on IR for 4 weeks last year.

I say no now, but only because espn didnt have a way to stop it so I abused it.

No one else should get that benefit!

(Go ahead with it, maybe set a gentlemans agreement of 4 games max across all players or some poo poo per year?)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Oh, can Brick Squad and Pretty Garbage remove their little graphics that screw up the layout of the homepage? They screw up the layout (at least for me) on the divisions, records, PF and PA.

Brick's just looks like a blank black square.

i say division 3 is graphics/soundclips division

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixalot posted:

"Out" is an official NFL designation. Teams designate injured players being kept on the active roster as "Probable" (this is being removed this year), "Questionable," "Doubtful," or "Out." Only those designated as Out can go on IR, because those players are often injured for multiple weeks, but not quite long enough for the team to want to put them onto NFL IR.

That said, paying full salary and a bench slot for a suspended player sucks. But, I still can understand if the majority of owners prefer not giving me (and chen and hix) an immediate benefit.

..also someone trade me a cheap $2 player for Fletcher Cox? I'll take depth at any position besides QB or TE.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Any interest in Matt Forte? While I do need startable RBs, he's just too drat expensive for my team.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

suspended players were IR-eligible last year, but I kind of (like 60/40) support switching to the written rule of suspended are not IR eligible just as a punishment for people who fantasy-own abusive players

or drug users, which are exactly as bad as abusers or not oh god lets not go into this here

also i did another draft pick trade hell yeah

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

. 1017 BRICK SQUAD / I'm Pretty Garbage At This Trade

1017 BRICK SQUAD gave up Ebron, Eric DET TE; Year 2016 Draft Pick 1.01
I'm Pretty Garbage At This gave up Walker, Delanie TEN TE; Year 2016 Draft Pick 1.03

Thu Aug 25 8:17:07 p.m. PT 2016

Hey, you know what is nice? I don't have to carefully record this transaction on two different tabs of the spreadsheet and then make sure to report your updated cap space weekly, because MFL just handles it. Sweet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Received payment from Stevie Lee.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Ebron and Zeke for Walker and Coleman basically?

Dont think I would have given up Zeke for anything at this point.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 26, 2016

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Is anyone intersted in trading up to #2?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I sent you my $2.92 last night

or I sent $2.92 to a random individual, not sure which

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bloody posted:

I sent you my $2.92 last night

or I sent $2.92 to a random individual, not sure which

Yup, got it and accounted for on the spreadsheet, thanks!

All I'm waiting on now is Swarmin Swedes ($7.92) and Metapod ($27.92).

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Did we reach verdict on suspended players and IR? It might affect my roster moves prior to add/drop deadline

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixalot posted:

Did we reach verdict on suspended players and IR? It might affect my roster moves prior to add/drop deadline

Well, despite having 12 owners, we are not getting many voters lately.

Me: for
Hixalot: for
Chen Kenichi: neutral
Epi Lepi: for
Spermy: for, suggested conditions
Bloody: 60% against
Seven other owners: abstained and/or absent

That's a 3 vs 1 vote. I hate to change a league rule on just three votes; then again, we are up against a hard deadline to make a decision, and - this is kind of the ironic part - our rules on how to change league rules probably need to be changed, because we're not really following them.

quote:

11.4 Unless otherwise indicated in the league rules, the three Commissioners are jointly responsible for resolving issues and disputes and performing management and maintenance tasks.
11.4.1 Whenever time and circumstances permit, Commissioners should deliberate among themselves and attempt to reach consensus before taking action on matters of significant import, such as:
11.4.1.4 Any change to these League Rules
And that's it. Precedent is that I've held votes for pretty much everything from the very beginning, and have sort of been just running votes since then whenever it was an opportune time to reconsider rules etc. But according to the rules, it should just be the commissioners coming to a consensus on rule changes.

If I have to pull Le'Veon Bell off my bench ahead of tomorrow night's deadline, I need to clear more cap space. So we have to decide this now.

The commissioners are Hixalot, Spermy Smurf, and myself. All three of us voted in favor of allowing suspended players on IR, although Spermy Smurf suggested maybe a number-of-games limit, which for example would have prevented an owner from keeping Josh Gordon or Adrian Petersen on IR through entire season-long suspensions in the last couple of years.

On the above basis, I'm going to flip the switch in MFL and permit holding suspended players on IR. We can continue to deliberate the merits of a limit, because we have a while before such a limit would take affect this season anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
no objections to the suspended players on IR