Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If anyone's in Colorado, our annual comedy festival is this coming week! I'll be running all the shows at 3 Kings. Come say hi!

http://www.highplainscomedyfestival.com/#home-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Moshe is great, everybody listen to Hound Tall

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Moshe's book is also super interesting

Baron Vaughn is voicing one of the robots on the MST3K reboot

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Apologies if this is out of line, but I ended up with a bunch of stand-up CDs (and a few DVD/CD sets), most of which are brand-new and unopened, in case anyone would be interested in some of them. I've had them listed in my SA-Mart thread for months, with no takers.

If anyone wants any, I don't have PMs, so please hit up my SA-Mart thread or e-mail me at saxman2 AT hotmail.

Stand-Up DVD/CD sets:
Steve Byrne - Champion (DVD/CD) (sealed)
Moshe Kasher - Live in Oakland (DVD/CD)
Kevin Nealon - Whelmed, But Not Overly (DVD/CD)

Stand-Up CDs:
Matt Besser - Besser Breaks the Record (sealed)
Mike Birbiglia - My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (sealed)
Christian Finnegan - The Fun Part (sealed)
Dan Finnerty and The Dan Band - The Wedding Album (sealed)
Ron Funches - The Funches of Us (sealed)
Lisa Lampanelli - Back to the Drawing Board (sealed)
Kathleen Madigan - Again (sealed)
Dennis Miller - America 180 (sealed)
Morgan Murphy - Irish Goodbye (sealed)
Mike O'Brien - Tasty Radio (sketch comedy featuring Bill Hader, John Mulaney, Fred Armisen, Jason Sudeikis, and Scarlett Johansson)
Eddie Pepitone - In Ruins (sealed)
Tom Segura - Completely Normal (sealed)
Iliza Schlesinger - Freezing Hot (sealed)
Beth Stelling - Simply the Beth (sealed)
Coming to the Stage Season 1 compilation (sealed)

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Baron's also a regular on Netflix's Grace and Frankie. He also hosts The New Negroes once a month at UCB Franklin.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Does anyone have reccomendations for UCB NY shows? Maybe more experimental standup, but regular stuff is also good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Analytic Engine posted:

Does anyone have reccomendations for UCB NY shows? Maybe more experimental standup, but regular stuff is also good.

The Sunday night improv/sketch/standup jam at UCBeast is pretty great for experimental stuff.

Lasers in the Jungle is pretty solid. Will be curious to hear if anyone has favorites, the Beast standup shows don't have the most distinctive identities in my experience.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Netflix announces its next round of stand-up specials for 2016

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I'm sure that i'm late to the party on this one but I just watched the first two episodes of Night Train with Wyatt Cenac and they were fantastic.

I'm excited to watch the rest, if they're anything like the first two then I may have a new favorite stand up show.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

feedmyleg posted:

The Sunday night improv/sketch/standup jam at UCBeast is pretty great for experimental stuff.

Lasers in the Jungle is pretty solid. Will be curious to hear if anyone has favorites, the Beast standup shows don't have the most distinctive identities in my experience.

Thanks

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Colin Quinn's one man shows about American history are phenomenal.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Because Col's a goddamned genius. I was pretty ambivalent on him until being exposed to him on Opie & Anthony, at which point it became apparent he's literally the smartest person in the room at all times. He's also ridiculously empathetic and kind-hearted, which is weird in a comedian.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Megazver posted:

[url="https:///specials/netflix-announces-next-round-stand-specials-2016/"]Netflix announces its next round of stand-up specials for 2016[/url]

What's the general consensus on Russell Peters? He seems relatively popular, but I watched a standup special he did once and thought the entire thing was garbage. Maybe it's just super-subtle Canadian comedy or something but it came across as half-assed crowd work and I only finished watching it out of social obligations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
He's huge globally (he was big in Canada for a while before hitting it big all over), but never really broke out the same way in the US. He's kind of a weird dude and even though I think he's got a great ear for accents, I don't care for him.

His episode of The Champs (RIP, great podcast) had him talk about walking under bleachers before shows to indulge his foot fetish.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

He's also alleged to steal jokes from Gina Yashere, substituting My Crazy Jamaican Family for My Crazy Pakistani Family. I dated someone briefly who was really into his specials and we watched 2-3 in a row on netflix, it's hacky foreigner jokes that destroy at big money corporate gigs.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

It's somewhat different if you're from Canada and especially somewhere like Mississauga or Brampton where the jokes fit your experiences growing up and living there.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What's the general consensus on Russell Peters? He seems relatively popular, but I watched a standup special he did once and thought the entire thing was garbage. Maybe it's just super-subtle Canadian comedy or something but it came across as half-assed crowd work and I only finished watching it out of social obligations.

Yeah, it's definitely crowd work and race humor, almost exclusively. I enjoy him, but not deeply. That's usually a sign that he won't be loved here.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
^^ same here. He's worth some laughs when I just want something easy to put on while playing games or cleaning house, but I'm never going to be very excited for him. His career is damned impressive though, imo.

Apoplexy posted:

Because Col's a goddamned genius. I was pretty ambivalent on him until being exposed to him on Opie & Anthony, at which point it became apparent he's literally the smartest person in the room at all times. He's also ridiculously empathetic and kind-hearted, which is weird in a comedian.

I still watch the final episode of Tough Crowd every once in a while. I saw it when it aired, and it's great.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

that list of Netflix specials is pretty brutal. old rear end Dana Carvey, "ha ha my family is from somewhere different" Russell Peters, Fluffy, etc., woof

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Fluffy is a smart pickup given the title and his meltdown. People will watch just to see if he talks about it or what he says.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

ChickenArise posted:

Fluffy is a smart pickup given the title and his meltdown. People will watch just to see if he talks about it or what he says.

I'd rather not watch it, so someone please tell me what this meltdown business was about.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Maybe he's confusing him with Ralphie May who's went crazy over Chelsea Peretti naming her special ONE OF THE GREATS but is also dealing with heavy depression and his kids being taken away so I don't think he's in the right state of mind.

Fluffy's comedy is horrible but he came off a nice dude in his WTF interview. Very smart businessman.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
One of the Greats owns tho, and she is. Sorry for your loss Ralphie.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

piratepilates posted:

It's somewhat different if you're from Canada and especially somewhere like Mississauga or Brampton where the jokes fit your experiences growing up and living there.

I agree. Im from there though and he still sucks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Maybe he's confusing him with Ralphie May who's went crazy over Chelsea Peretti naming her special ONE OF THE GREATS but is also dealing with heavy depression and his kids being taken away so I don't think he's in the right state of mind.

Fluffy's comedy is horrible but he came off a nice dude in his WTF interview. Very smart businessman.

yea Fluffy guy seems totally harmless, I don't like his bits but he seems perfectly nice and he's using the whole 'catchphrase comedy' thing to its fullest to get paid. Can't hate the dude for that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
While we're on the subject, what's this I hear about Brian Posehn having a meltdown on the radio? I mean, I heard it from AVClub's comments section, so grain of salt

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Can you post a link? I can't find any reference to it on the AV Club or elsewhere.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And I've heard nothing of it to begin with. I love comedy drama, and Brian Posehn kinda owns, so it'd be nice to hear of him going off on someone who likely deserves it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Oh right! :lol:

Not sure what I was thinking - the whiole divorce thing came up a lot on that Roast Battle show.

Agreed on WTF, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Can you post a link? I can't find any reference to it on the AV Club or elsewhere.

You have to load more comments, but apparently he said some racist stuff on Twitter (explains why his Tweets are protected now) after getting into a verbal altercation with a lady in Times Square

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclusive-brian-posehn-hates-times-square-mms-has--240566

A shame, I like Brian's stuff, although like a lot of comics he repeats himself a lot.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 25, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

all right finally let's take a look here

quote:

Joe Rogan: Triggered

hell yeah

quote:

Dana Carvey: Straight White Male

gently caress yes

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You have to load more comments, but apparently he said some racist stuff on Twitter (explains why his Tweets are protected now) after getting into a verbal altercation with a lady in Times Square

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclusive-brian-posehn-hates-times-square-mms-has--240566

A shame, I like Brian's stuff, although like a lot of comics he repeats himself a lot.

Hmm. I only saw one comment about it and it read like a joke based on what Anthony Cumia did, not an actual allegation of anything Brian Posehn actually did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Hmm. I only saw one comment about it and it read like a joke based on what Anthony Cumia did, not an actual allegation of anything Brian Posehn actually did.

Ah. I didn't know about the Cumia thing, so I took it at face value. I am glad Brian is not racist.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 25, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea going on racist rants and harassing a rando lady and filming himself getting his rear end yelled at for it is literally a thing Ant did.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I find it really weird that good, respectable comics still go on Anthony's podcast. What do they gain from it? Larger audience exposure? Do you really want those guys at your shows?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rear end Catchcum posted:

I find it really weird that good, respectable comics still go on Anthony's podcast. What do they gain from it? Larger audience exposure? Do you really want those guys at your shows?

yes. Anthony brought a pretty big (unless I missed something?) chunk of O&A fans with him and for better or worse an O&A fan is very likely to buy a ticket to your show if they can. As long as they don't shout out "BOY I WISH WE COULD KILL BLACK PEOPLE AM I RIGHT" if I was a comic I couldn't care less if 'those guys' were at my show buying tickets.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Have you been to a comedy show? The o and a fans that left o and a to follow A, a bigot minsogynst rear end in a top hat (I know, rear end in a top hat is kinda redundant) are certainty not the kind of fans that add to watching art performed. They're low bro morons.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
And the ones who "wouldn't care that they're there as long as they've paid their money" aren't really the respectable comics I was talking about.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

rear end Catchcum posted:

I find it really weird that good, respectable comics still go on Anthony's podcast.

No one does really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, who the hell are we talking about, here? There WERE people who went on TACS. Now there aren't.