Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So I picked up a jug of oil from Wally World and it slipped off the pillion on the way home. Of course the jug was punctured by sliding friction (a gallon of milk suffered the same fate and lived :argh:) so I wrapped it up in the plastic bag best I could and took off the rest of the way home about a mile away.

Of course the bag didn't do jack poo poo and I got oil all over the rear end of the bike. I sprayed an entire can of brake cleaner on the rear rotor to get it cleaned up and wiped off the tire best I could, then did a "burnout" on a bit of dirt road down the street to try and scrub the rest of the oil off.

How hosed am I if I get down to the last two inches of tire edge? I did some right-hand circles to just try and see where the limit was and it felt okay but I want to ask here.

I'm gonna have a go at the tire when I attack the tail with Dawn and a nice bristle brush, that oughta work, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If Dawn can get oil off a penguin, it ought to work for a tire.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Beach Bum posted:

So I picked up a jug of oil from Wally World and it slipped off the pillion on the way home. Of course the jug was punctured by sliding friction (a gallon of milk suffered the same fate and lived :argh:) so I wrapped it up in the plastic bag best I could and took off the rest of the way home about a mile away.

Of course the bag didn't do jack poo poo and I got oil all over the rear end of the bike. I sprayed an entire can of brake cleaner on the rear rotor to get it cleaned up and wiped off the tire best I could, then did a "burnout" on a bit of dirt road down the street to try and scrub the rest of the oil off.

How hosed am I if I get down to the last two inches of tire edge? I did some right-hand circles to just try and see where the limit was and it felt okay but I want to ask here.

I'm gonna have a go at the tire when I attack the tail with Dawn and a nice bristle brush, that oughta work, right?

You're fine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dawn or simple green will clean it up alright, but, uh, rinse that poo poo real good.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My exhaust pipes are rather rusty (mufflers are fine though). My mechanic friend recommended I sand it down a bit, then do one of two things:
1) wrap them
2) paint them with high-temp automotive paint

Is one better than the other / are their pros/cons to each? or are they both fine and it's a matter of personal aesthetic?
Also what's a cool color for pipes on an otherwise black/silver biek :c00l:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

alnilam posted:

My exhaust pipes are rather rusty (mufflers are fine though). My mechanic friend recommended I sand it down a bit, then do one of two things:
1) wrap them

Is one better than the other / are their pros/cons to each? or are they both fine and it's a matter of personal aesthetic?

I've always heard that you should stay away from exhaust wrap because it can trap moisture and therefore cause your pipes to rust.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

alnilam posted:

1) wrap them

I recommend Electrolysis, then swap the annode and reverse the process to plate them with whatever.

Or you could just prep-n-etch them and wrap them.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I've always heard that you should stay away from exhaust wrap because it can trap moisture and therefore cause your pipes to rust.

K I'll find a Cool Paint Color then.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I recommend Electrolysis, then swap the annode and reverse the process to plate them with whatever.

As an electrochemist IRL I did briefly consider this

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
bbq grill paint it. a wrap will rot it out.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Why not just get them powder coated?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alnilam posted:

1) wrap them

dip em in evap-o-rust. It's magic and far less of a pain than electrolysis. Even if you can only afford a little of it and have to keep moving the pipes around in the liquid to get it all off, it's still ten times easier than electrolysis (I've done both and will never go back).

High temperature paint is a better choice than wrap for the stated reasons.

If you want to remove the rust mechanically, use a wire wheel, not sandpaper. Wear a respirator.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I recently bought a brass wire wheel to do just that. Brass is softer than steel/chrome and better for not destroying the surface underneath the rust.

Why do exhausts always corrode into a martian surface stucco.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I was wondering how to shine my exhaust up again... Once I go over it with a brass wire wheel, is there anything I can do to tint the metal blue?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Get it good and hot. Somewhere around 600 degrees F is the temperature that steel quenches blue IIRC.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So I did something stupid today. At least, thinking about it with any sort of reason and intelligence, it certainly seems stupid. What I'm here to ask is: how stupid?

Rode all day today. Had a blast. Put a little over 200 miles on her. Got home, and decided to wash my bike. I'm sure you can guess here, but, yeah, I hosed down my hot bike with cool water, like a minute after having been riding it.

Talk to me, CA.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean, don't dirt riders do ice cold water crossings all the time with super hot bikes? What happens when you are riding on the highway, hot bike, and suddenly hit a rainstorm?

You are fine.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Coydog posted:

I mean, don't dirt riders do ice cold water crossings all the time with super hot bikes? What happens when you are riding on the highway, hot bike, and suddenly hit a rainstorm?

You are fine.

Hmmm... very true.

The rainstorm on a hot bike rings especially true.

Still, my mind can't really relax cause I'm thinking I'm rapidly cooling super heated metal, and that doesn't seem especially good for the metal.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, my first reaction was "uhh" but bikes are designed for that sort of thing, and I'm sure the water you sprayed on heated up faster than it could rapidly and dangerously change the temperature of the metal it touched. Like I said, adventure riders regularly take really hot bikes directly into ice cold streams, sometimes submerging the engine completely in an instant, and are fine.

Watch Z3n show up and break down the various metallurgy used in bikes of different nationalities throughout the years, and their individual stress quotients.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Did it make any cool noises? I like the sounds my air cooled bike makes after it shuts off.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Coydog posted:

Yeah, my first reaction was "uhh" but bikes are designed for that sort of thing, and I'm sure the water you sprayed on heated up faster than it could rapidly and dangerously change the temperature of the metal it touched. Like I said, adventure riders regularly take really hot bikes directly into ice cold streams, sometimes submerging the engine completely in an instant, and are fine.

Watch Z3n show up and break down the various metallurgy used in bikes of different nationalities throughout the years, and their individual stress quotients.

I eagerly await.
:allears:
(Thank you for your replies though. As a newbie, my goal is simply not to offend, A la the last hundred posts in the discussion thread haha :cheeky: )

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

Did it make any cool noises? I like the sounds my air cooled bike makes after it shuts off.

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!?!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Talk to me, CA.

Meh, who cares. Unless you somehow sprayed it directly onto the exhaust valves or something you won't have caused any damage. I don't think any of the external parts of the engine get hot enough to really experience serious thermal shock just from cool water. Maybe the exhaust headers, but they're just metal tubes and not under any stress.

Check to make sure the electronics and air filter(s) are still dry, and wipe up any puddles that might sit and cause rust.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Get it good and hot. Somewhere around 600 degrees F is the temperature that steel quenches blue IIRC.

Can i just set an oven to 600, toss it in, and then drop it in the swimming pool to cool?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Can i just set an oven to 600, toss it in, and then drop it in the swimming pool to cool?

Get it powder coated magenta or day glo yellow instead. You know you want to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does powder coating even work on exhaust pipes? It's not a paint...it's a plastic coating that they apply as a powder, electrostatically, and then bake in an oven so it melts and fuses with the surface. I don't know if there's some sort of chemical curing process involved, but an exhaust manifold can definitely get hotter than the powder coating oven. It might just melt right back off.

Has anyone seen powder coated exhaust pipes before?

(The black matte coating you see on Harley exhausts sometimes is a ceramic coat of some kind, like enamel. I don't know much about that.)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

Does powder coating even work on exhaust pipes? It's not a paint...it's a plastic coating that they apply as a powder, electrostatically, and then bake in an oven so it melts and fuses with the surface. I don't know if there's some sort of chemical curing process involved, but an exhaust manifold can definitely get hotter than the powder coating oven. It might just melt right back off.

Has anyone seen powder coated exhaust pipes before?

(The black matte coating you see on Harley exhausts sometimes is a ceramic coat of some kind, like enamel. I don't know much about that.)

I think it's a special ceramic powder coating, but yes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

Get it powder coated magenta or day glo yellow instead. You know you want to.

I want a second zrx just to go totally neon and fantastic on it. I want to make the most 80s bike ever, but I can't afford a Katana.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The Bananana posted:

I eagerly await.
:allears:
(Thank you for your replies though. As a newbie, my goal is simply not to offend, A la the last hundred posts in the discussion thread haha :cheeky: )

Ya it's fine. I could go into nerd detail about the metalurgy and expansion rates and poo poo but v0v I think I've stirred enough poo poo today!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

When is an open bottle of DOT4 not good anymore?

Bled and flushed my brakes 4 days ago, front is spongy, still got the bottle.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I suppose, as long as it's still relatively clear.

Although I don't know how much of the "turning sewage color" brake fluid does is a result of dirt, or moisture over time.

4 days though, I would definitely have another go at it. A year, I'd be like, "ummmmm...... it's clear....OK."

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
its hygroscopic because its a type of alcohol. 4 days is fine. If you don't have a power bleeder manually bleed the master using the banjo bolt. Z3n showed everyone this handy trick a few weekends ago.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nice, thanks. I've got a hand vacuum, which speeds thing a up a bit. I sucked brake fluid into it last time, though, here's hoping it hasn't destroyed the vacuum capabilities.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I would still use it after 4 days. I wouldn't after a few weeks, though.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That reminds me that I've got an old bottle of DOT4 that I used on the Ninjer. What do I do with old brake fluid? I could give it to the Pete's Auto next door to work, but I'm worried they're going to just stick it on a shelf and use it in an old Polish lady's car.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

That reminds me that I've got an old bottle of DOT4 that I used on the Ninjer. What do I do with old brake fluid? I could give it to the Pete's Auto next door to work, but I'm worried they're going to just stick it on a shelf and use it in an old Polish lady's car.

I deliver it at the local recycling center which accepts hazardous waste for free, but then I live in a good country that has those.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Fine, then, I guess mail it to Donald Trump is the answer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A lot of states allow it to be mixed with used oil, which is what I've done in the past since it's always a pretty small amount. I typically just dump it into the container full of oil that I"m taking to O'Reilly.

You can also pour it into a pan of oil eater/kitty litter, let it evaporate, and then trash the saturated litter. I think that's technically legal since it falls under household waste. Not especially environmentally responsible.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

Fine, then, I guess mail it to Donald Trump is the answer.

I just take it to the local autozone and they do something with it. What they do, I don't know. But they do.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
poo poo I didn't even know you could take awl to those autoparts shops until Safety Dance came by my garage.

Which reminds me.

In the long list of things I need to do, cleaning out my garage is pretty low right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

builds character posted:

I just take it to the local autozone and they do something with it. What they do, I don't know. But they do.

I take my oil to AutoZone and they always make me go into the back and dump it into this big metal box. I don't know what happens with other stuff though, if it goes into that box too or not.