Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I personally can't wait for From to forget to properly secure their new effects again, causing another week or two of people wailing and gnashing their teeth.

(No, I really would rather be as disappointed in that prediction as I was in DS3 as a whole.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
hot new take: that lady is priscilla, so much for aldritch having chowed her down

the narrator says "if you have no place to call your own", more retreaded ground confirmed

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's the Drawn Universe of Simaira

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I'm still mad at Aldritch for killing Gwyndolin :mad:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
no lie that was a fantastic lore point and amazing boss fight that actually hit the level of peak DS1 and Bloodborne, now that's working with the original while adding on top of it done mother loving right

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the wolfwhacker weapon is gonna own

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Why is 40% of the dlc trailer shots of the player fighting bosses from the vanilla game? Is there a boss rush feature or something?!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Priscilla was supposed to be your firewaifu in the 1st game so it's not surprising Miyazaki wanted to return to her area in some form, also the main game hints at PW stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

Why is 40% of the dlc trailer shots of the player fighting bosses from the vanilla game? Is there a boss rush feature or something?!

I assume they're leaning even harder into the Guys remember Dark Souls 1?! poo poo since one was un-slime Gwyndolin.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Snowy castle zone in a series where four games out of five, including this one already, but not including the one where the snowy castle zone was cut content, had a snowy castle zone? Better freak the gently caress out about it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
aren't you a special snowflake castle

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Honestly this game needed more snowy zones anyway. The trailer set up all of this freezing landscapes, pilgrims collapsing in the snow... They added a Frostbite mechanic. But then snow and cold isn't really in the game the way you'd expect based on that sort of stuff being included.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cephas posted:

Honestly this game needed more snowy zones anyway. The trailer set up all of this freezing landscapes, pilgrims collapsing in the snow... They added a Frostbite mechanic. But then snow and cold isn't really in the game the way you'd expect based on that sort of stuff being included.

Yeah color me disappointed with frostbite. The game didn't exactly need another status effect to begin with but on top of that, it sucks poo poo when you use it, it's limited to a couple of crappy weapons, there's like four enemies and some barrels in the game that even inflict it. I wouldn't be surprised if Ashes adds an infusion stone for it and a couple more sources of it (imagine frozen outskirts, but the blizzard builds frostbite unless you're in cover), but even then, the effect is so underwhelming that it's hard to care about it. It's like bleed, but worse when you use it (since it does less damage and enemies pretty much don't care about stamina) and more annoying when it's slapped on you (because you can't heal through the stamina penalty).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My favorite part about that trailer is the big guy with the axe. You can very clearly see him not hit the player, but then he gets hit.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Official Screens/Art

:stare:

Some blurry crap I took from the trailer

compare to

Reference

Orv posted:

I assume they're leaning even harder into the Guys remember Dark Souls 1?! poo poo since one was un-slime Gwyndolin.

Don't lie. :colbert:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

This is probably Ariamis is my guess

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Polo-Rican posted:

Same reason the bloodborne dlc trailer did it, because you can bring all the new weps and poo poo into the base game.

e: crow ladies looking rough

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Same reason the bloodborne dlc trailer did it, because you can bring all the new weps and poo poo into the base game.

e: crow ladies looking rough

The dude battling the vanilla bosses doesn't have any of the new weapons or armor. Just the starter knight set. Oh well.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

DLC lookin' good. That was a seriously great looking snowy forest right there. I hope it's on a similar level to the Bloodborne DLC, where we got three huge, very different areas!

Overall, I think I've cooled on Dark Souls somewhat - partly because Bloodborne was so amazing, I guess. The setting in the new DLC doesn't seem terribly interesting right now. But I'll remain adamantly optimistic because I really like the base game, and someone's gotta stay positive around here

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I hope that once you kill the lordvessel smash boss you can get the lordvessel as a weapon, and its Skill teleports you behind enemies and chain backstabs them

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I don't get the bloodborne appeal. It's such a poo poo game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

lite_sleepr posted:

/triggered

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Bloodborne is indeed a hit game

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

e;fb

Orv
May 4, 2011

I thought it was because apparently their answer to nuGwyndolin being a chump is to make his rain of bullshit about nine thousand percent bigger, but yeah, he is still a slugman.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

lite_sleepr posted:

C'mon, at least put in some effort. This is just insulting.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Just Offscreen posted:

Its not wrong, either.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finally picked this up on PC while it was cheap. Are softbans still a problem?

Probably going to roll a faith character since I haven't tried one yet. Did they get any interesting tweaks in the last few months?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

skasion posted:

I hope that once you kill the lordvessel smash boss you can get the lordvessel as a weapon, and its Skill teleports you behind enemies and chain backstabs them
Still praying for the trident to return. Have me retrieve it from the painted world bonewheel cellar hell 2.0 for all i care.

Just Offscreen posted:

youtube noise posting is his entire gimmick, and equally effortlessly ignored

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Still praying for the trident to return. Have me retrieve it from the painted world bonewheel cellar hell 2.0 for all i care.

youtube noise posting is his entire gimmick, and equally effortlessly ignored

You guys are doing a good job ignoring it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Polo-Rican posted:

Apparently it might actually mean something lorewise, they're all related to Lothric's Queen. Although this relies on her being Gwynevere or a daughter of Gwynevere. Oceiros (husband), Lothric/Lorian (sons), NK (Older Brother or uncle), Gwyndolin being eaten by Aldrich (Younger Brother or uncle).

All things considered, and a bit of personal bias because Gwynevere being Lothric's Queen feels wierd to me. I think Ariandel is a daughter of Gwynevere or at least a descendant, possibly sisters of Rosaria and the Dancer, because they both can become Gwynevere based miracles.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How does the Lordvessel still exist, anyway? Did someone repair it in the intervening time between DS2 and DS3? Or is that a different but similar-looking imitation?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Lots of cycles, lots of rubes to trick into continuing them, lots of Lordvessels.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that seems like something they have a broom cupboard full of for when one of the idiots gets smart and breaks it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Feel bad for all the uncounted "great souls" that some waif or primordial serpent pointed a pissed-off undead assassin towards just to complete that pointless chore.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
It also might just be a big-rear end pot. Those aren't actually very weird in the grand scheme of things.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nah, they're too rote at this point, it's gotta be the Lordvessel because Dark Souls lore.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'd just like more paired weapons. the twinspears, hammers, and claws are a ridiculous amount of fun

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Weeping Wound posted:

I'd just like more paired weapons. the twinspears, hammers, and claws are a ridiculous amount of fun

Well too bad, here's some more greatswords. And every boss souls is going to be made into at least 1 greatsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

Nah, they're too rote at this point, it's gotta be the Lordvessel because Dark Souls lore.

Honestly now that I think about it, no one is going to agree with me but I'm kind of glad Dark Souls as a continuing entity is ending. It's sort of exhausting how everything has to be ninety references and be so layered with meaning that I now know more about the Fifth Earl of Dickslap than I know about most real historical things. Of course that thing is the Lordvessel, there's literally no way it won't be because that's how everything is in Souls.