Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

hemophilia posted:

No, I think I'm right. The abortion segment he basically comes out and says what the game is with his main segments. The jokes are to maintain attention over serious a subject matter, and it's not necessary imo.

But then it wouldn't be a comedy show, it would just be a poorly researched news show. Which is to say, an average news show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I don't mind the show attempting to be humorous while discussing serious issues.

What I do have a problem with is his humor being extremely formulaic. It's always in this kind of format:

"You know, its a lot like X except if X was Y!"

"And THAT is why you don't *insert random action* *insert random person*!"

The same style of jokes over and over and over again since the show began airing. He really needs to mix poo poo up. It's one of the reasons why The Daily Show/Colbert Report were great shows.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 23, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

sbaldrick posted:

This thread is overrun with BernieBros

I'm starting to think "BernieBros" is a new term for "people also on the left that have different opinions than me".

IRQ posted:

I keep seeing people (in the media) saying that it was important and innovative and unique and super cool that there was a show focused on black issues* and blah blah but nobody actually saying it was any good.

* Trevor Noah doesn't count, because he's from South Afrtica, you know, where racism doesn't exist or anything.

I will applaud The Nightly Show for talking about POC issues, but that's literally all it had going for it. The show lacked substance and style, and Larry Wilmore was boring as poo poo. Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if execs see it as an example of "why you can't have colored people as talk show hosts."

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm starting to think "BernieBros" is a new term for "people also on the left that have different opinions than me".

*who happen to be mildly racist.

Also if that were true literally everyone would be a berniebro

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

I keep seeing people (in the media) saying that it was important and innovative and unique and super cool that there was a show focused on black issues* and blah blah but nobody actually saying it was any good.
I agree with this criticism. Larry deserves props for trying to go all Colbert at that washington thing he presented at,, though.

Frankly I think he might have done better if he'd focused more on black issues and less on regurgitating the same stories that TDS had just done half an hour earlier.

cletus42o posted:

But lots of people here bitching about how President Obama hasn't visited yet when Bush was also advised not to come post-Katrina - and Trump jumped on to be the first to visit (which caused problems - traffic for sure - a big reason the presidents were advised against early visits). Yet the state as a whole continues to vote for people who don't believe in climate change and for some reason forget who was appointed to FEMA prior to Katrina. I guess those people wouldn't be watching the show anyway.
The governor or mayor or something was on the news the other night and when asked about Obama, he flat stated that he'd rather the president not show up because they couldn't spare the manpower to do the whole presidential motorcade and protection bullshit.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Veskit posted:

*who happen to be mildly racist.

Also if that were true literally everyone would be a berniebro

:rolleyes:

Don't make poo poo up please.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wilmore grew on me as time went on, but he was never as great as Colbert, and was a horrible replacement.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

Wilmore grew on me as time went on, but he was never as great as Colbert, and was a horrible replacement.

The thing about Colbert was that he had a niche with his character and the whole pundit thing. So even when he covered the same stories as the Daily Show, he did it in a way that was different enough that it was still fresh.

Plus on a slow news day he always had "here's Stephen Colbert's latest weird obsession" to fall back on for material.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about Colbert was that he had a niche with his character and the whole pundit thing. So even when he covered the same stories as the Daily Show, he did it in a way that was different enough that it was still fresh.

Plus on a slow news day he always had "here's Stephen Colbert's latest weird obsession" to fall back on for material.
Yeah this is extremely key. TDS was about laughing at the news, Colbert was about laughing at the way the platonic ideal of a conservative pundit who'd been kicked in the head too many times, would talk about the story. Wilmore was literally just TDS 1.5: We really should've just made TDS an hour long instead

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

coyo7e posted:

TDS 1.5: We really should've just made TDS an hour long instead

That'd be a solution, now that Trevor seems more confident in his role. Give Larry a 10-15 minute segment at the end called The Minority Report!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That'd be a solution, now that Trevor seems more confident in his role. Give Larry a 10-15 minute segment at the end called The Minority Report!

Yes, let's relegate african-american issues to a small sub-section of a larger show, that's not problematic at all.

Make it last 36 minutes while you're at it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yes, let's relegate african-american issues to a small sub-section of a larger show, that's not problematic at all.

The show is already cancelled, I think this would be a move to save grace.

Can we get a word filter for problematic yet?

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I can't remember if it was still when Larry Wilmore had Stewart leading in, but it was around the time that Stewart left that he had Bill Nye on, and Larry Wilmore and the other panelists basically told Bill Nye that they didn't care about whatever he was talking about. Considering the person who he replaced, that was probably a giant misstep. Combined with not being all that funny early on and sorta dissing someone who would have been a big hero for the target demographic, it really isn't that surprising. The thing is though, is that people can still be not funny and have a slot on Comedy Central, look at Chris Hardwick still having a show for some reason.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yep, even Bernie supported charter schools. gently caress education "reform".

Also, I enjoyed Larry Wilmore's show despite its problems. It lacked polish, but I felt like I got the real Larry. He didn't try any stunts to go viral and rarely indulged on cheap catharsis. I ultimately enjoyed the conversational nature of the whole program.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Nightly Show wasn't even close to always about black issues either anyway. It was a current events show and even with no lack of current events that could use that perspective it was still often as not just covering whatever same poo poo everyone else was in largely the same ways, just also less funny.

When Larry DID do a show that focused on black issues was the rare times it shined, like the ones on black mother/fatherhood.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Larry Wilmore seemed like he was ready based on his Daily Show segments. Then his show happened and it was just not well-developed and became more acidic than comedic (a mistake you also see in early Lewis Black shows). Unlike Colbert, Wilmore can't seem to conceal how loving angry he actually is under a stage act, so stuff like the Correspondents' Dinner felt more crude than polished.

Lewis Black can also be a "gently caress Republicans. Whoops I forgot to write a joke!" guy, but he's on average funnier because being an apoplectic old man is part of the joke.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

IRQ posted:

The Nightly Show wasn't even close to always about black issues either anyway. It was a current events show and even with no lack of current events that could use that perspective it was still often as not just covering whatever same poo poo everyone else was in largely the same ways, just also less funny.

When Larry DID do a show that focused on black issues was the rare times it shined, like the ones on black mother/fatherhood.

Those were the episodes that turned off me and my wife. We went in thinking, OK maybe here he can do something different than everyone else, but he completely failed. IIRC there were some pretty blatantly misogynist jokes that went unaddressed. In general we felt he was--ironically enough--too vanilla. Boring, not funny, and either he has no opinions or is too hesitant to share them. There was way too much "here are both sides of this issue", panelists saying stupid things not being addressed, or Larry himself just repeating stupid stories from the news without any substantial comment, even repeating manufactured partisan talking points, lacking awareness.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Unlike Colbert, Wilmore can't seem to conceal how loving angry he actually is under a stage act, so stuff like the Correspondents' Dinner felt more crude than polished.

That's funny, I feel basically the opposite. I have a hard time telling that he has any opinions at all and is not just "generic late night host repeating the news". Unlike Oliver or Bee. But we stopped watching a long time ago, so maybe he started showing more personality.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I definitely agree that Larry was too tolerant of bullshit opinions and "truth is somewhere in the middle" stuff when it came to his guests.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The panels got more bearable once it was changed to two contributors + the one guest.

The only atrocious panel worth remembering was the vaccine one when the show first started. There's nothing worth defending about it.

The Bill Nye panel got a bad rap, but with distance I kind of appreciate the trolling and Bill playing along.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've mentioned it before but the panel on that article about how lovely working at Amazon is also stood out to me. An article with things like "woman with thyroid cancer returning from treatments to low ratings and being told that her co-workers were accomplishing a lot while she had been out" and "woman being told she was a "problem" because she had cut back on working nights and weekends to care for her cancer-stricken father" at its core was boiled down to "well-off folks whining about actually having to work" by the idiot panel without a single mention of the really lovely things outlined within it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

So not 3/5th of the show?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

So not 3/5th of the show?

Somebody already made that joke, in the post that immediately followed it no less

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Echo Chamber posted:

Yep, even Bernie supported charter schools. gently caress education "reform".

Also, I enjoyed Larry Wilmore's show despite its problems. It lacked polish, but I felt like I got the real Larry. He didn't try any stunts to go viral and rarely indulged on cheap catharsis. I ultimately enjoyed the conversational nature of the whole program.
To be entirely fair, everybody supported charter schools when they were first proposed.. I mean poo poo, both my parents are liberal teachers (one was the district union rep for a long-rear end time) and they seriously considered throwing together a charter school back in the uhh, like early to mid 90s. They decided there were too many pieces of red tape in the way and that it was risky because the ratings systems were super-undeveloped as of yet. I guess I could've been rich as gently caress if they'd have known about those for-profit corporations that just turn charter schools into private prisons. Or maybe not.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
We had a reading hour in elementary school where we read that The Kid Who Ran for President. It was great. The last page of the book called you out for trying to skip to the end to see if he won.

Apparently sales of the book are spiking.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
So uh, I posted this several months ago:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCqqkUTCR3Y/?taken-by=a_drunk_bird
Any chance I can email the staffers on the show for my 15 minutes of fame? :smugdon:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Butt Reactor posted:

So uh, I posted this several months ago:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCqqkUTCR3Y/?taken-by=a_drunk_bird
Any chance I can email the staffers on the show for my 15 minutes of fame? :smugdon:

Post it to Trump! He will attack Last Week Tonight for ripping of some random internet guy. Then he will call him a hypocrite for pointing out his own plagiarisms. I really want Trump to get into an actual fight with John Oliver.

Why is this show off for so long again? Where will I get my liberal celebration of 15 years 911 from?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Can someone tell me why liberals like Charter Schools so much?

They are loving terrible and failed miserably in every country they've ever been in (Chile, Sweden, etc.).

Why aren't liberals pushing for a Finnish type school system exactly?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's not just the left. Politicians on the right like them too. Charter schools are somethings that politicians like. Something that in theory is great but in practice is invariably lovely. Politicians work in "in theory" a lot more than "in practice" in the US. More than half of the politicians in that segment seen praising charter schools were not liberal.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Entrusting education to the private sector is a loving horrible idea and charter schools are just a way to sidestep the fact that public schools are a patchwork of over and underfunded schools and I'm frankly loving lucky to go to school where and when I did. I graduated before the testing batteries became utterly insane, and before tons of investment in arts and language education was cut in favor of reinvesting in stem and sports, both of which were already excellent programs, but i was lucky and a few miles north i could have gone to school where even core studies were underfunded and taught by unqualified teachers.

Education should be robustly public, well and equally funded across the board. Rather than doing that we just have politicians trying to dump the problem on the private sector which is a mistake and gently caress everyone in power and out of it who thinks otherwise.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

They are loving terrible and failed miserably in every country they've ever been in (Chile, Sweden, etc.).

It's because US liberals, I'll say especially ones in politics, still really love capitalism and believe in the private sector.

Just not to the same ridiculous degree as their opponents.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

GutBomb posted:

It's not just the left. Politicians on the right like them too. Charter schools are somethings that politicians like. Something that in theory is great but in practice is invariably lovely. Politicians work in "in theory" a lot more than "in practice" in the US. More than half of the politicians in that segment seen praising charter schools were not liberal.

Everyone loves Charter schools because education in America is stupidly broken because of the normal reason (racism) but given no one can fix that problem they have to try something.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Also the whole "education reform" movement was a way for mainstream beltway politicians to come off as do-ers and look bipartisan with silicon-valley-esque free market problem solving. It was seen as the good kind of free market solution by liberals!

Also liberalism in America hasn't really existentially challenged the private sector in like... ever. And many liberal democrats live in a bubble and think their base loves Mark Zuckerberg.

Yeah, it's weird.

Edit:

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 24, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I think the core support by politicians for charter schools is just due to lobbying and the usual factors, and the peripheral support is because they don't "seem" like a bad idea. A sincere politician may know that some charter schools are terrible, but some aren't and the exact same could be said about public schools, so they're like "gently caress it, charter schools are fine with me." Even though they really shouldn't be necessary in the first place. Education shouldn't be for-profit at any level, with the colleges being the most egregious example.

hemophilia posted:

Entrusting education to the private sector is a loving horrible idea and charter schools are just a way to sidestep the fact that public schools are a patchwork of over and underfunded schools and I'm frankly loving lucky to go to school where and when I did. I graduated before the testing batteries became utterly insane, and before tons of investment in arts and language education was cut in favor of reinvesting in stem and sports, both of which were already excellent programs, but i was lucky and a few miles north i could have gone to school where even core studies were underfunded and taught by unqualified teachers.

Education should be robustly public, well and equally funded across the board. Rather than doing that we just have politicians trying to dump the problem on the private sector which is a mistake and gently caress everyone in power and out of it who thinks otherwise.

Bernie 2016! :toot: :unsmith:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Because stupidity isn't partisan.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Aren't charter schools proven to be MORE costly and dish out worse results than traditional public schools?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Aren't charter schools proven to be MORE costly and dish out worse results?

I wouldn't be surprised given that this has been the result for literally every other time a public service has been left in the hands of the private sector.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Whenever I hear of a program using government money to fund a private business I just always assume the people running it are funneling money into their pockets somehow. Cause nobody gives a poo poo about the funny money that comes from taxes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

punk rebel ecks posted:

They sound like a good idea if you're looking at the original purpose of them: to serve as practice and policy incubators for new ideas and then to use as models to build out those ideas for the greater population. Currently they're an easy "Big Government is slow, come to our Business-style school and your kids will succeed and you won't be taught by burnout Union teachers coasting for a paycheck!" sell.
The thing is that the really successful schools usually have some kind of wider support from the community or business monies, or are tailored to their very specific community needs -- like the school (Harlem, i think) that basically provides room and board for elementary kids and serves as a semi-military academy so that the problems of the neighborhood aren't brought into the school environment.
The thing is that schools are usually resistant to change because a) administrators and their pet aims come and go, b) changes may make others look good, c) effort and pressure not to rock the boat.

If charters/school innovation were a thing, Los Angeles would have long adopted the Jaime Escalante model of grooming kids for excellence. He basically made a pipeline of maths education starting in middle school, worked closely with teachers across a few grade levels and with a local junior college, so that the kids that got to his Calc class actually had a strong, workable foundation in math learning and would have support from Jr College faculty. His program was dismantled after a new administrator came in and listened to the teachers that felt he had too much power. It was also almost killed in the cradle when a janitor complained he was coming in too early and reported him to the administrators.

Charters are also a fantastic way of dismantling Union protections for workers.

quote:

Because school in the U.S. is either the platonic idea of The Little Red Schoolhouse (former barn) where you sent Carilyn and Sue and Bobbie for 2 hours so they could learn their maths and letters before gettin' back to real work, or it's the school from To Kill a Mockingbird where the kids are filthy and super in need of support services but we just turn a blind eye to it and hope that they can at least learn not to eat the paper before the year is done.

Lots of school is essentially babysitting, and there's essentially no trust in the role of the educator as a professional. You'd have to undo decades worth of damage to the concept of a Teacher to even begin to approach a Finnish style system. Education, like so much of American institutions, is so loving adversarial. I know a school that was almost fined because they had too many hours of instruction one year and they went over the district required figures.

And that's before you get into the whole "Well Mr So and So from Fancy State School said This and I DON'T PAY YOUR SALARY WITH MAH TAXES TO HAVE MY KID LEARN SOME LIBFAG poo poo"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 24, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Invalid Validation posted:

Whenever I hear of a program using government money to fund a private business I just always assume the people running it are funneling money into their pockets somehow. Cause nobody gives a poo poo about the funny money that comes from taxes.

You mean like this?
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/08/24/pa-cyber-founder-pleads-guilty-to-federal-tax-fraud-charges/amp/

Supposed to have been around $8mil stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Privatization is where the government still funds something, but has no control or really responsibility for the operations of it. I don't know why they'd ever expect anything other than massive amounts of embezzlement of government funding.

Most places where the private sector outdoes the public ones are where there's monetary incentives. At least private prisons might want to take care of prisoners so that they can provide slave labor.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 26, 2016

• Locked thread