Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

No Safe Word posted:

I mean... Activision Blizzard is a multibillion dollar megacorporation. In aggregate I suppose if Overwatch proves to be a more profitable product this might be true but ...

Each game has to stand on its own when developers approach the finance people with cap in hand and ask for money to expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Poor Activision Blizzard, Inc, a publicly traded company, needs all the help from us gamers as it can get.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if Blizzard's business practices bother you then the best way to fix it is to join the revolution and destroy the decadence of capitalism

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

strong bird posted:

Poor Activision Blizzard, Inc, a publicly traded company, needs all the help from us gamers as it can get.

Yeah, it's totally about charitable help for Activision and not about the basic fact that a profitable venture will receive greater investment of time and resources from its creator than an unprofitable one.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

So you admit it, then. Base coward. Scoundrel.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the bigger the corporation, the bigger the return has to be for the investors and stockholders to be happy. "your game last month made us a billion dollars. this month you must make a billion point two."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That doesn't mean that they have to do their lovely f2p mechanics in a really annoying way though.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Kerrrrrrr posted:

the bigger the corporation, the bigger the return has to be for the investors and stockholders to be happy. "your game last month made us a billion dollars. this month you must make a billion point two."

I guess the Investors and Stockholders must be pretty angry about StarCraft: II, Heroes of the Storm, and Over:Watch after the smash hits of World Of WarCraft: and Diablo: III

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

I'm loving horrible at aiming and I managed to get to rank 70.
If you're at rank 70 you're not horrible at aiming, even if the modesty is appreciated. :ssh:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I'll give this game 5 months before the insane WoW developer that only plays on a tablet and doesn't know what a mouse is gets his purple dyed hands on it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Asimo posted:

If you're at rank 70 you're not horrible at aiming, even if the modesty is appreciated. :ssh:

The only character I can aim with is Zenyatta. Otherwise I tend to play characters that don't really need to aim well when I want to win. So, lots of Reinhardt, Mercy, Lucio and Winston.

Also, I'm not 70 anymore. I have since dropped to 64.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

strong bird posted:

I guess the Investors and Stockholders must be pretty angry about StarCraft: II, Heroes of the Storm, and Over:Watch after the smash hits of World Of WarCraft: and Diablo: III

I can't tell if you're joking but I'm sure the investors are furious about every game Blizzard has launched since Warcraft II.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't have a problem throwing a bit of extra cash at blizzard for keeping the game good. I just don't like the gambling bit. If they introduced a $5 premium-only skin I'd have no objection even if there was no way whatsoever to get it in-game and I might even pick it up. It'd make some people mad still, but at the moment the real issue imo is that there's no way to guarantee getting what you want without just throwing money down a hole forever. Haven't bought any loot boxes, never will. Been busy recently I couldn't play this weekend because of internet problems and no summer skins for me. Sucks.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 24, 2016

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Just waltzed through Hananura on solo QP with a six man Zarya fest. It was the single best moment of Overwatch I've had.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Hahaha 150 boxes holy poo poo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

I will go batshit and buy boxes if I can dress Mei like a penguin.

It's very strange that she has a 'Freeze, don't move!' voice clip but no cop outfit

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Hahaha 150 boxes holy poo poo.

would love to be a Blizz employee tracking stats to see how much an individual person drops for loot boxes and laughing

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It would have been a lot more attractive if Blizzard offered cosmetic content packs with the option of unlocking items via random lootboxes from playing. But that's what responsible companies do.

Instead, Blizz is like every greedy company (Yes, even Valve,) they choose to exploit the addictive nature of gambling to fleece their customers.

I'll pay for extras to keep a game's servers and employees afloat if it's a fair deal; but only giving me the option of "chance" is straight up anti-consumer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zephyrine posted:

If It wasn't for me the rest of you wouldn't be able to enjoy these F2P games.

Overwatch isn't F2P.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Blizzard has sold over 15,000,000 copies and has made (prior to the Summer Games) over $500,000,000, resulting in an all-time sales record for Activision-Blizzard and the most successful launch Blizzard has ever had (yes, bigger than anything with "Craft" in the name). Players have spent at least over $900,000,000 on loot boxes (once again, before the Summer Games).

I wouldn't worry about their ability to support Overwatch. It's gonna be fine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Overwatch isn't F2P.

if he pretends it is he can justify his scratch and win habit.

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

Papercut posted:

I bought $20 of loot boxes because I figured I only paid $40 for the game originally and I've gotten way more than my money's worth already. Plus extra revenue for Blizzard means better ongoing support and additions to the game, which means I get to keep enjoying it that much more. I managed to get everything I wanted from the summer boxes aside from America McCree, but I did get Gambler McCree in one of my purchased boxes, which is his best regular skin, so it's all good. I'm sure I'll drop another $20 when the Halloween event rolls around, because this is a fun game that is well worth putting more than the original sticker price into.

Congratulations on helping the underfunded kickstarter company, Blizzard, subsidiary of American company Blizzard Activision (operating income $1.3 billion 2015). It was touch and go for them there for a while but you pulled them through the dark times. They have now hit their stretch goal of swimming through a giant money bin like Scrooge McDuck.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Overwatch isn't F2P.

No because you keep buying it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Blizzard has sold over 15,000,000 copies and has made (prior to the Summer Games) over $500,000,000, resulting in an all-time sales record for Activision-Blizzard and the most successful launch Blizzard has ever had (yes, bigger than anything with "Craft" in the name). Players have spent at least over $900,000,000 on loot boxes (once again, before the Summer Games).

I wouldn't worry about their ability to support Overwatch. It's gonna be fine.

Yeah, this just means that in Q3 shareholders will expect them to sell 20,000,000 copies and spend over a trillion on loot boxes. It doesn't matter how big the numbers are; it's never, ever good enough for the investor.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

It's not like the Overwatch income goes into the Overwatch development fund. It goes to the company and then when the development team wants to spend a hundred thousand bucks making a new map. They have to convince finance that in the long run they will recoup that money.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You paid 120 bucks and our new map count is at one. Well done. You know companies use to release content for free. People use to mock horse armor. I miss those days.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the release schedule is for Overwatch is really loving slow if you consider how much money it's making.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

You paid 120 bucks and our new map count is at one. Well done. You know companies use to release content for free.

Yes back when you didn't need twenty 3D animators and a movement capture studio to build a room and get the protagonist to cross it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Yes back when you didn't need twenty 3D animators and a movement capture studio to build a room and get the protagonist to cross it.

Which you don't need for retextures. There's like four wave animations they just reused for different heroes. gently caress they even reuse art (WOW) for Hearthstone cards. You know I had a theory as to why the glasses on Mei's table tennis icon are hard to read. The art was intended to be larger but someone said "hey lets make icons so people get less skins".

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 24, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

FrostyPox posted:

I'm now spending an inappropriate amount of time trying to think of "i hanjo" names for the rest of the cast.

Thanks, thread

I think the best names come from chat, talking as someone who's been privy to meltdowns about a bad Renart and a bad Wilson.

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

I think the best names come from chat, talking as someone who's been privy to meltdowns about a bad Renart and a bad Wilson.

Hahah! No Wilson. No! Wilsoooooonnnnn

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Reinhardt better get a Frankenstein skin for Halloween. Also Ana should get a mummy skin and Hanzo should get a Robin Hood outfit. Roadhog could get a Jason style skin with a hockey mask, and 76 could get a Thriller style getup or something. Junkrat... uh... kinda already has a bunch of Halloween skins. Maybe he'd ironically get a normal outfit, or they'd do a Leto Joker or something?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Which you don't need for retextures. There's like four wave animations they just reused for different heroes. gently caress they even reuse art for Hearthstone cards. You know I had a theory as to why the glasses on Mei's table tennis icon are hard to read. The art was intended to be larger but someone said "hey lets make icons so people get less skins".

We're on a forum where people pay for the honour of registering and Avatars. The glass house has been pulverized into a crystal mist at this point.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Reinhardt better get a Frankenstein skin for Halloween. Also Ana should get a mummy skin and Hanzo should get a Robin Hood outfit. Roadhog could get a Jason style skin with a hockey mask, and 76 could get a Thriller style getup or something. Junkrat... uh... kinda already has a bunch of Halloween skins. Maybe he'd ironically get a normal outfit, or they'd do a Lego Joker or something?

THIS. Junkrat outfit during his boring 9-to-5 cubicle job in the accounting dept. of a corporate in Sydney.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Andrast posted:

Yeah the release schedule is for Overwatch is really loving slow if you consider how much money it's making.

Uh it's been out for like 3 months and they've released 1 new hero and there's a map that's coming out probably next week. That's not even counting competitive. 1.5 months for each new piece of content is damned loving quick

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

Bolivar posted:

THIS. Junkrat outfit during his boring 9-to-5 cubicle job in the accounting dept. of a corporate in Sydney.

That's what drove him insane!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

These are good. I also like Marcy, Genju, and Tracker.

So far all I've come up with are Roper and Jerkrunt.

EDIT: Oh also Windowmaker is a good one

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If folks want to dump whatever dollar amount of money in Overwatch, that's fine. As much as I don't like the way they're doing it, I am glad it's a success, at least. Holdouts like me are in an inevitable minority, and virtual gacha is a terrifyingly powerful way to separate money from people.

At best I am a pebble trying to hold back a stream.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bolivar posted:

Junkrat in Beavis' fast food uniform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

The way I see it is that I neither drink nor smoke. And with some of the entertainment money I save. I'll spend binging on lootboxes on a Friday night. Then when I wake up on Saturday morning instead of a headache I wake up to a few neat skins :downs: