Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Red posted:

Whirlwind is a goon?

Also, Luke Cage really likes the name Power Man, even though he never uses it:

He was using it at the time. It's the whole reason the first Power Man (now known as Atlas) picked the fight with him in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm guessing they wanted to avoid describing the caucasian homonym with the inevitable adjective and name.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

muscles like this? posted:

Unfortunate news, turns out that the next two issues do not have any more Living Ghost stories.

Edit:

Goodbye

Final image, Tony's dumb plan from the first issue.

So The Living Ghost works like The Predator then?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I think the key to defeating the Living Ghost is to explain to him that being Living cancels out being a Ghost, and he'll disappear with a pop.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He was using it at the time. It's the whole reason the first Power Man (now known as Atlas) picked the fight with him in the first place.

That whole issue is great. There is this two page spread where Luke Cage picks up a rolled up cinema screen and hits Power Man with it and the narration just says "This us what we in the business like to call terse writing." That always cracks me up. The rebundled that issue with this big 100 page issue of Thunderbolts that was full of past stories from characters back when they were villains.

And having two characters fight over something as silly as a name is perfectly comic bookish.
One of my all time favourite stories is about how the Autobot Swoop used to be called Divebomb. But he got into this fight with a Decepticon who beat him up and took his name. And how they meet up on Earth and keep fighting over it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

No one needs to name their car. Naming your car is weird. Just call it "my car" or "the car."

This Batman guy...seems a little weird?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Not even having a thematically appropriate name for your car, but giving it an AI that responds to verbal commands with a servile voice.

Super weird.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Not even having a thematically appropriate name for your car, but giving it an AI that responds to verbal commands with a servile voice.

Super weird.

I wonder if he had Alfred record the voice clips.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He needs to do something with his time. I'm sure he hires a group of maintenance guys to do the actual butlering these days.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

prefect posted:

I wonder if he had Alfred record the voice clips.

Who?

Oh, The BatButler! Yeah, probably.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Doc Hawkins posted:

Who?

Oh, The Batler! Yeah, probably.

ftfy

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I used to work at a comic book store, and we had an old Batmobile model in Spanish-language packaging. From this I learned that at least some of the time, the vehicle's localized name is "El Murcielauto."

Hooray puns.

e: to save people from having to look it up, "murcielago" is a Spanish word for the animal with the english name "bat"

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 24, 2016

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Doc Hawkins posted:

I used to work at a comic book store, and we had an old Batmobile model in Spanish-language packaging. From this I learned that at least some of the time, the vehicle's localized name is "El Murcielauto."

Hooray puns.

e: to save people from having to look it up, "murcielago" is a Spanish word for the animal with the english name "bat"

The sportscar Bruce Wayne wrecks in Batman Returns is the Lamborghini Murcielago, he was prob. sniggering into his chequebook when he bought it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

I think the key to defeating the Living Ghost is to explain to him that being Living cancels out being a Ghost, and he'll disappear with a pop.

That only works with computers. If there was a Living Ghost AI, then you could do that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Avulsion posted:

I'd post Astro City #1/2 "The Nearness of You" but I'd have to post the entire issue and everyone's probably already seen it and it really belongs in the Touching and Inspiring thread and it's free on comixology so go read it there.

No, it fits in just fine here. It'd just have to be in the first post, because it makes most other comics after it look like a joke in comparison.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

That only works with computers. If there was a Living Ghost AI, then you could do that.

Maybe that's Tony's endgame in powering him up :ohdear:

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Hooray puns.

Yeah, I think they only did that for a short time in Argentina. Here in Mexico we have always called it El Batimovil.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Maybe that's Tony's endgame in powering him up :ohdear:

Surprise twist reveal in the last chapter, his last name is Stark.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Looks like they forgot to swap Daphne back for her mustachioed gentleman stand-in for the last panel.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

What's this from?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

WE GET IT FRANK, THE GODDAMNED BATMAN WENT VIRAL.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SilverSupernova posted:

What's this from?

Scooby Apocalypse. Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 24, 2016

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 11 starting off well.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It's good to see :spidey: getting to goof on/mess with people instead of having Deadpool do it. It's a pleasant change.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doesn't look like Spider-Man has a verified account. I don't think that's him.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The gently caress is this? This reads like an edit made for a comics themed meme subreddit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Frank Miller" :smug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The best exchange is still the one with Tony Stark that got us the term IRONMANSPLAINING

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

mind the walrus posted:

"Frank Miller" :smug:

So instead of subreddit it was just posted to Stormfront, got it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, thinking about it, ASBAR kinda reads like it was written by a guy who thinks the world considers Batman to be on the same level of popularity as Aquaman, and is trying to do his best to convince everyone otherwise. Except this is the universe where Batman Begins was released several months before the first issue, and Frank never got the memo in the years following.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ASBAR reads like it was written by a psychopathic thirteen year old who took a break from ripping the wings off butterflies and staring dead eyed at medical illustrations of female genitalia to write a Batman comic

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ASBAR reads like the end result of what happens when someone at DC Editorial points to the Ultimates and says "Frank, make something like this."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I've only seen isolated panels and pages, but ASBAR seems pretty awesomely insane. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lobok posted:

Doesn't look like Spider-Man has a verified account. I don't think that's him.

You just know somebody grabbed a Spider-Man.com url, twitter and facebook page and is making bank on merchandising while Peter struggles to make rent :)

prefect posted:

I've only seen isolated panels and pages, but ASBAR seems pretty awesomely insane. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure there is an issue where Batman invites Green Lantern to the Batcave or something and has Robin paint the entire place yellow before he gets there, which is an amazing dick move.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Jerusalem posted:

You just know somebody grabbed a Spider-Man.com url, twitter and facebook page and is making bank on merchandising while Peter struggles to make rent :)

I'm pretty sure there is an issue where Batman invites Green Lantern to the Batcave or something and has Robin paint the entire place yellow before he gets there, which is an amazing dick move.

And then offers him a refreshing glass of lemonade.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's definitely from All Star Batman and Robin, which I don't have in my digital collection, so somebody else will have to post/repost that bit if anybody wants to see how enormously dickish Bats gets in that sequence.

edit: I want to say, issue 9? Maybe 10.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lake of Fire #1 which is about a bunch of lost idiot crusaders vs aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

prefect posted:

Batman Odyssey is awesomely insane, ASBAR is just kinda bad with occasional bits of humor like the yellow room bit. Even that gets dumb when Robin nearly kills GL and Bruce has to give him a pen tracheotomy.